• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

zlatko

Banned
If anyone gets the psycho pack code tomorrow and doesn't want it let me know and I'll PayPal you $5.00 for it.

Since I withdrew from getting it from Amazon I won't get it and I really wanted it. :(

Sanic

If anyone else is running a server and would like it listed in the OP and Steam group page, please let me know.

Also, any suggestions as to what I should name the server I bought?

derFeef said:
Have we seen hard bots yet? I have not kept up-do-date with the streams that are up for 10 minutes and then get nuked from Zenimax orbital launch station.
Our own Genesis Knight has and this is what he had to say....

Genesis Knight said:
I've played Brink for about four hours.

I played the bots on Hard and it made no difference; the AI is awful.

Makoto

zoner said:
I'm sure they did since they had already played most those games previously, and portal was too different to even compare.
That's not the point. The point is that TF2 got released and packaged with 2 singleplayer games. Reviewers were basing their thoughts on how worthwhile the entire Orange Box was, not just TF2.

commissar said:
Those same reviewers also based their TF2 scores on actual multiplayer games as TF2 didn't have bots, so they would have got what the game had to offer (excellence*)

some Brink reviews I fear will be based on botmatch :/
But the issue here is whether or not Brink will get criticized for not having real singleplayer.

My point in previous posts was that TF2 isn't applicable when trying to illustrate how some reviewers favor one MP-focused game over another because TF2 came with HL2: Episode 2 and Portal, two singleplayer games. If TF2 was released and sold for $50 (PC) or $60 (360/PS3) as it was in 2007 then reviewers would have slammed it for not having any real singleplayer or bot support. Likewise, Brink is going to get slammed for not having any real singleplayer.

Also, a game has to be judged to some extent in relation to how it presents itself. TF2 was presented as a multiplayer package - so it gets judged on those merits - whereas Brink is being put forward as a story / cinematic narrative as well as a multiplayer experience, not helped by this drought of actual MP games footage.

derFeef said:
Thats bad news, then. At least in certain circumstances.

They buff a bunch and revive and use their abilities, but they don't freerun and they suck at shooting. They also are oblivious; I would regularly flank four or five of them and shoot them all to pieces, reloading three times while they completely ignored me.

zlatko said:
If anyone gets the psycho pack code tomorrow and doesn't want it let me know and I'll PayPal you $5.00 for it.

Since I withdrew from getting it from Amazon I won't get it and I really wanted it. :(

I'll be getting a Pyscho Pack code, and I don't want it, but I'd rather have another code (Fallout or Doom) than the $5. Find someone else to do a three-way trade and I'd be more than willing to help you out.

EDIT: And of course, Amazon only promises to e-mail the code within two days after the order ships, so keep that in mind. :)

zlatko

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
I'll be getting a Pyscho Pack code, and I don't want it, but I'd rather have another code (Fallout or Doom) than the $5. Find someone else to do a three-way trade and I'd be more than willing to help you out.

I'll do my best tomorrow then to try to hustle here on Gaf. I have a lot of good feedback already on the buy/sell/trade thread, so if I can find another code from someone then we can handle it through there. :)

BloodySinner said:
Then perhaps they should have bundled 5 games into one like The Orange Box did.
Perhaps Bethesda and Splash Damage shouldn't have hyped up their bot matches as much as they have. I understand they made a pretty cool world with the Ark, but to sell bot matches with cutscenes as a singleplayer campaign is a joke. Reviewers will probably reflect that accordingly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
vidal said:
But the issue here is whether or not Brink will get criticized for not having real singleplayer.

It will get hurt by it, but it is hypocritical to do so. People love to wax poetically about single player games not needing multiplayer modes and it shouldn't be docked for it. On the flipside, there is no reason a multiplayer based game should be required to have a single player mode.

I'll bet my new pair of shoes that LA Noire won't be punished for not having a multiplayer mode after the last two high profile Rockstar games had it.

Of course, Bethesda could always take down the names of those who dock Brink and bring it back up when it comes time for Skyrim reviews and press materials...

bengraven

This was so hyped up by gaming journalists, though casual gamers seemed to have completely forgot about it.

Shoogoo said:
I'd like to hear Bethesda explaining this nonsense.

That kind of live streaming before street date is what made me buy Borderlands day one.

THIS

My interest in Blands was fairly moderate before I saw the streams. A GAFfer I believe was playing, remember how damn smooth it looked even on 360 and was like "this on PC is going to fucking own".

And it has. 3 completely playthroughs so far.

Makoto

Kintaro said:
It will get hurt by it, but it is hypocritical to do so. People love to wax poetically about single player games not needing multiplayer modes and it shouldn't be docked for it. On the flipside, there is no reason a multiplayer based game should be required to have a single player mode.

I'll bet my new pair of shoes that LA Noire won't be punished for not having a multiplayer mode after the last two high profile Rockstar games had it.

Of course, Bethesda could always take down the names of those who dock Brink and bring it back up when it comes time for Skyrim reviews and press materials...
Their obligated to dock points because there are still people out there with little access to the internet, shoddy internet or no internet at all. Reviewers are right to dock a MP game with no SP just for the PSN situation alone. Reviewers will be more than obligated to dock points and tell PS3 users in particular if Brink is worth buying for the SP if PSN is still down.

Darkshier said:
Perhaps Bethesda and Splash Damage shouldn't have hyped up their bot matches as much as they have. I understand they made a pretty cool world with the Ark, but to sell bot matches with cutscenes as a singleplayer campaign is a joke. Reviewers will probably reflect that accordingly.

One key reason why Splash Damage wanted to integrate the various modes is so that the time players invest in one mode wouldn't be "wasted" when switching to one of the other two modes. Basically, they're trying to minimize the huge skill leap that solo players face if they go online and face opponents with a much more advanced skillset than the pop-up targets they were used to facing in traditional single player modes.

Kintaro

vidal said:
Reviewers dock multiplayer games because they're not the norm though. Their obligated to dock points because there are still people out there with little access to the internet, shoddy internet or no internet at all. Reviewers are right to dock a MP game with no SP just for the PSN situation alone.

Is my sarcasm meter broken? This can't be a serious answer.

walbertsmith said:
One key reason why Splash Damage wanted to integrate the various modes is so that the time players invest in one mode wouldn't be "wasted" when switching to one of the other two modes. Basically, they're trying to minimize the huge skill leap that solo players face if they go online and face opponents with a much more advanced skillset than the pop-up targets they were used to facing in traditional single player modes.
That terrible AI they have programmed certainly isn't going to help with that at all. Sure they might be able to level up offline and earn perks, but that isn't going to improve their skill for when/if they do go online. Not when playing against bots that have their combat training from Robert E Lee.

Darkshier said:
That terrible AI they have programmed certainly isn't going to help with that at all. Sure they might be able to level up offline and earn perks, but that isn't going to improve their skill for when/if they do go online. Not when playing against bots that have their combat training from Robert E Lee.

Fair enough, I do agree, and I also think that the AI we've seen thus far has been severely lacking. However, while we've seen videos of "Hard mode" AI, we haven't seen videos of the same AI when the player is at a high character level (I don't think).

Presumably if a solo player completes both sides of the campaign, the two extra levels and at least level 2 of the challenges then he/she will be at or near the level cap. Ideally by this time the AI has ramped up to at least moderately prepare the player to jump online to real players.

Starfish_Oxide said:
Cool thanks, is it worth the download?

By all accounts it seems to be the best showcase for the SMART system as the player has gotten very comfortable with the Light body type and it's limitations.

If you've got a decent connection I'd say it's worth the download if you're interested in what SMART can do; it's just under 10 minutes of footage.

Firebrand

Spookie said:
Brink server for UK/EU GAF has been ordered. Hopefully we'll have something we can put in the OP tomorrow.
KXdYk.jpg

walbertsmith said:
By all accounts it seems to be the best showcase for the SMART system as the player has gotten very comfortable with the Light body type and it's limitations.

If you've got a decent connection I'd say it's worth the download if you're interested in what SMART can do; it's just under 10 minutes of footage.

Thats good enough for me, thanks.

scorpscarx said:
Are you kidding me, Robert E. Lee was a total badass.

Now if you were to say, Grant, then I might have believed you.
Alright, alright, Ulysses "drunkass" Grant then. I wasn't going to put Sherman and Lee was the only other one I could remember. Seriously though, where is the Stars and Bars costume DLC pack for Brink? I would love to be able to dress the bots up in some old Civil War uniforms, would make the combat so much more authentic.

Darkshier said:
Alright, alright, Ulysses "drunkass" Grant then. I wasn't going to put Sherman and Lee was the only other one I could remember. Seriously though, where is the Stars and Bars costume DLC pack for Brink? I would love to be able to dress the bots up in some old Civil War uniforms, would make the combat so much more authentic.

Haha.

Edit: Man, imagine a Civil War/French Revolution era shooter with cannons, bayonet melee combat, wild innacuracy, and huge puffs of smoke everywhere. That to my mind would be veryyyy fun.

Makoto

Kintaro said:
Is my sarcasm meter broken? This can't be a serious answer.
I should rephrase my post. Reviewers should dock a MP-focused game if it has half-assed singleplayer (which, let's not bullshit ourselves, I've got the game pre-ordered and even I know Brink is going to have half-assed singleplayer) just like reviewers should dock SP-focused games with half-assed multiplayer.

But please tell me your not doubting the fact that there are in fact people out there with shitty internet or very limited access to internet, you'd have live under a rock not to be aware of this. Like I said before, those people will want to know if Brink's SP is worth the purchase and so will many PS3 users if PSN is still down. Reviewers are in the right if they dock Brink points for its half-assed singleplayer.

Weenerz

Banned
Hrmmm $20 for a dedicated 16 player public server, I might have to look into this depending on how many GAFers are up for it (in the US).

Sanic

The art in the thread title is supposed to be the Ark, but I sort of realize now that it's not very accurate or good looking, so I won't be doing anything like that for future threads :p

Shoogoo

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Brink: Special Edition is now being processed subject to successful payment being taken from your credit card when it is dispatched

YE- FUCKIN -AH

Pandoracell said:
The art in the thread title is supposed to be the Ark, but I sort of realize now that it's not very accurate or good looking, so I won't be doing anything like that for future threads :p
I figured it was the ark (though granted you wouldn't know if you didn't know the game), and it stands out from the rest of the threads on the first page. I think it's good as it is.

This is the part where things start to suck for me. I have to sit here in my hotel room in the Middle East and twiddle my thumbs until I'm back home in the good ol' USA this weekend to play this game, all the while reading about how (hopefully) awesome it is...

On the plus side, I'll have a better how to properly build my character since all of GAF will be ahead of me! Silver linings and all that.

Kintaro

vidal said:
I should rephrase my post. Reviewers should dock a MP-focused game if it has half-assed singleplayer (which, let's not bullshit ourselves, I've got the game pre-ordered and even I know Brink is going to have half-assed singleplayer) just like reviewers should dock SP-focused games with half-assed multiplayer.

In general, I would agree. However, if the online makes up for it, it shouldn't matter. Call of Duty's single player sucks ass but no one cares. lol

But please tell me your not doubting the fact that there are in fact people out there with shitty internet or very limited access to internet, you'd have live under a rock not to be aware of this. Like I said before, those people will want to know if Brink's SP is worth the purchase and so will many PS3 users if PSN is still down. Reviewers are in the right if they dock Brink points for its half-assed singleplayer.

It is not the up to the reviewer to EVER decide this. Ever. Tough shit for those who choose to live in places with shitty or no internet (yes, it is a choice). Same thing for PSN or any other network being up or down. It is not up to the reviewer. Otherwise, you can just start docking single player modes for not being absolutely perfect because there are people out there who run the risk of their consoles dying because of poor electrical set ups in their house.

It is not like the developers of Brink have EVER hid the fact that single player was bots with jump in/jump out co-op. It has been in magazines and online sites for a very long time. It amazes me in the age of Google where people can be so misinformed about basic features of a product.

charsace said:
CS spread is bunk. The best gun emulation was in the original America's Army. guns kick all over when you fire out of control. Just felt so right.
CS used to have tons of spread too, but it got toned down in the 1.6 patch and then toned down more with CSS.

I prefered the spread from AA too, but the over the top headshot animation in cs did give it better feedback.

My favorite thing about AA was the grenades.

Sanic

derFeef has been doing a fine job taking care of the steam group so far, but it would still be nice to have one or two additional admins if anyone is interested, just to keep our bases covered.

Makoto

Kintaro said:
In general, I would agree. However, if the online makes up for it, it shouldn't matter. Call of Duty's single player sucks ass but no one cares. lol

It is not the up to the reviewer to EVER decide this. Ever. Tough shit for those who choose to live in places with shitty or no internet (yes, it is a choice). Same thing for PSN or any other network being up or down. It is not up to the reviewer. Otherwise, you can just start docking single player modes for not being absolutely perfect because there are people out there who run the risk of their consoles dying because of poor electrical set ups in their house.

It is not like the developers of Brink have EVER hid the fact that single player was bots with jump in/jump out co-op. It has been in magazines and online sites for a very long time. It amazes me in the age of Google where people can be so misinformed about basic features of a product.
Let's all take a look at Brink's Amazon page.

Brink allows you to seamlessly move between your single player campaign, co-op with friends, and intense multiplayer action.

Single player campaign. They had the audacity to even call it a campaign. That's why it matters little how many times Bethesda said what in a magazine or news site. Bethesda is marketing the game as one that in fact has a campaign, to which people will interpret as actual singleplayer. Add to this, there is no mention at all of bots on the product page.

That's why it doesn't matter what you know or what you interpret as common knowledge. It's the reviewer's job to inform the public about a game and if the game is marketing itself as having a campaign when in reality it's just multiplayer maps with bots running around, then they are correct in slamming the singleplayer and docking the game points. It would be very stupid if a reviewer said something along the lines of, "Well, we were going to dock Brink some points for not having any real singleplayer but since this is common knowledge for some guys on the internet, we'll ignore it and act like none of our readers are interested in Brink's singleplayer...9/10!" The reality of it is, internet doesn't come free with every purchase of an Xbox 360 and as it's being demonstrated, buying a PlayStation 3 won't guarantee PSN being up 24/7, so I would not have any qualms with a reviewer docking Brink for its lack of good singleplayer. This shouldn't even be debated.

styl3s

still on the fence about it, seems like it would be a pain in the ass to maneuver around like this on a controller and since i don't much care for PC gaming it's my only option "sadface"

I might see if redbox has it tomorrow, or if reviews start flowing in i might just pick it up tomorrow.

vidal said:
Yes and I'm sure every reviewer completely removed the fact that they just played 2-4 other singleplayer games that came packaged with TF2 and remained swiftly objective in their reviews, complaining about the dire lack of SP in TF2.

What the hell? Why would any reviewer in their right mind include HL2 in their review of TF2? They are completely different games. HL2 would have been included in the review of Orange Box, not TF2.

Makoto

weekend_warrior said:
What the hell? Why would any reviewer in their right mind include HL2 in their review of TF2? They are completely different games. HL2 would have been included in the review of Orange Box, not TF2.
...You've completely missed my point.

Kintaro

vidal said:
Single player campaign. They had the audacity to even call it a campaign. That's why it matters little how many times Bethesda said what in a magazine or news site. Bethesda is marketing the game as one that in fact has a campaign, to which people will interpret as actual singleplayer. Add to this, there is no mention at all of bots on the product page.

Ow, my head. Amazon says one thing, the official website says another.

Lets truly argue semantics since you are diving into that pool headfirst. How, exactly does it truly differ? You fight alongside of bots against AI bots. Don't you do this in Call of Duty? You're directed through damn near every single level...buy a bot as you fight other bots. Then you get a cutscene. Depending on the game, you get co-op too. Difference is, you don't get to take that character online. Is this truly that huge of a travesty?

That's why it doesn't matter what you know or what you interpret as common knowledge. It's the reviewer's job to inform the public about a game and if the game is marketing itself as having a campaign when in reality it's just multiplayer maps with bots running around, then they are correct in slamming the singleplayer and docking the game points.

Here is a thought, what if the story mode is still good? Do you still dock it?

It would be very stupid if a reviewer said something along the lines of, "Well, we were going to dock Brink some points for not having any real singleplayer but since this is common knowledge for some guys on the internet, we'll ignore it and act like none of our readers are interested in Brink's singleplayer...9/10!"

It happens with multiplayer.

The reality of it is, internet doesn't come free with every purchase of an Xbox 360 and as it's being demonstrated, buying a PlayStation 3 won't guarantee PSN being up 24/7, so I would not have any qualms with a reviewer docking Brink for its lack of good singleplayer. This shouldn't even be debated.

Once you start taking shit into account like "Well, not EVERYONE has internet...docked 3 points" we are entering stupid territory. Hell, one has to pay for Xbox Live. Should reviewers take THAT into account? Should Xbox versions get docked more? "Well, the MP is good, but we're not sure is good enough because you're paying for Live..."

At any rate, this won't matter. We saw this with Borderlands. The single player was a nothing mode and the game still sold millions with a metacritic of around 84. If Brink's MP is good, none of this will matter and reviewers can eat a dick. =)

Top Bottom