• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Kintaro said:
Lets truly argue semantics since you are diving into that pool headfirst. How, exactly does it truly differ? You fight alongside of bots against AI bots. Don't you do this in Call of Duty? You're directed through damn near every single level...buy a bot as you fight other bots. Then you get a cutscene. Depending on the game, you get co-op too. Difference is, you don't get to take that character online. Is this truly that huge of a travesty?

Difference is you're not literally playing "TDM first to 50 kills on Favela" when you play the Favela campaign mission; you're running across rooftops, getting shot at by miniguns, jumping to helicopters, etc etc. Brink does the former.

Makoto

Kintaro said:
Ow, my head. Amazon says one thing, the official website says another.
No it doesn't. It says the exact same thing. What are you talking about?

Kintaro said:
Lets truly argue semantics since you are diving into that pool headfirst. How, exactly does it truly differ? You fight alongside of bots against AI bots. Don't you do this in Call of Duty? You're directed through damn near every single level...buy a bot as you fight other bots. Then you get a cutscene. Depending on the game, you get co-op too. Difference is, you don't get to take that character online. Is this truly that huge of a travesty?
Let's not argue semantics and instead argue reality. Call of Duty has singleplayer campaigns, not matter how awful you felt they were. Left 4 Dead is multiplayer but with bots. Brink will be the same.

Kintaro said:
Here is a thought, what if the story mode is still good? Do you still dock it?
Um, bro, that's been my point the entire time. If the singleplayer is half-assed then dock it points. Logic would then state that if it's not half-assed, don't dock it points. Pretty simply.

Kintaro said:
At any rate, this won't matter. We saw this with Borderlands. The single player was a nothing mode and the game still sold millions with a metacritic of around 84. If Brink's MP is good, none of this will matter and reviewers can eat a dick. =)
The difference with Borderlands is that the game didn't rely on the enemy AI to be competent and utilize teamwork in order to completely enjoy the experience. Judging from the streams of Brink, the AI looks downright awful to play against. That's ground for criticism and docking points.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Genesis Knight said:
Difference is you're not literally playing "TDM first to 50 kills on Favela" when you play the Favela campaign mission; you're running across rooftops, getting shot at by miniguns, jumping to helicopters, etc etc. Brink does the former.

Uh, do you know this for sure? Brink doesn't work like that either to my knowledge. there is always a main objective and none of them I see involve "first to 50 kills."

vidal said:
No it doesn't. It says the exact same thing. What are you talking about?

website said:
Two Sides to Every Story

Choose to fight through two complete story campaigns as either a member of the Resistance or Security. Experience these campaigns solo, co-operatively, or competively - it's your choice.

amazon said:
Two Sides to Every Story – Choose to fight through the single player campaign as either a member of the Resistance or the Security and then take your same character online to play cooperatively or competitively against other players.

This says two completely different things to me. Sorry. Who gives a shit if they used "campaign". Everyone says that.

Let's not argue semantics and instead argue reality. Call of Duty has singleplayer campaigns, not matter how awful you felt they were. Left 4 Dead is multiplayer but with bots. Brink will be the same.

Weird, I don't recall anyone docking Left 4 Dead 2 for that. Anyone who did would be called a moron. Rightfully so.

Um, bro, that's been my point the entire time. If the singleplayer is half-assed then dock it points. Logic would then state that if it's not half-assed, don't dock it points. Pretty simply.

You didn't answer my question. What if the story was actually pretty fun to go through, but it was just bots. Does it even out? Do you dock it? Leave it alone?

The difference with Borderlands is that the game didn't rely on the enemy AI to be competent and utilize teamwork in order to completely enjoy the experience. Judging from the streams of Brink, the AI looks downright awful to play against. That's ground for criticism and docking points.

You're also judging from early ass streams at the game' s lowest level. In general, we don't know shit. If the AI continues to suck after more levels you gain, then yeah. Dock it.

Kintaro said:
Uh, do you know this for sure? Brink doesn't work like that either to my knowledge. there is always a main objective and none of them I see involve "first to 50 kills."

You're saying dumb stuff now; 'first to 50' is an example from CoD. The equivalent in Brink is 'blow up the objective and steal the X'. I've played Brink. The single player mode is the exact objectives and parameters of the multiplayer matches - the analog in CoD would be if a campaign mission was first to 50 kills with a 10 minute timer. Pretty sure you knew that's what I was saying.

That's how Brink's 'sp' varies from other games - it has no new content at all and is just an exact copy of the multiplayer game modes with bots. That's why you can't compare it to CoD, Halo, etc.

Kintaro

Genesis Knight said:
You're saying dumb stuff now; 'first to 50' is an example from CoD. The equivalent in Brink is 'blow up the objective and steal the X'. I've played Brink. The single player mode is the exact objectives and parameters of the multiplayer matches - the analog in CoD would be if a campaign mission was first to 50 kills with a 10 minute timer. Pretty sure you knew that's what I was saying.

That's how Brink's 'sp' varies from other games - it has no new content at all and is just an exact copy of the multiplayer game modes with bots. That's why you can't compare it to CoD, Halo, etc.

I honestly didn't quite follow what you were getting at. Sorry. I compare it because to me, you're still just playing with bots one way or the other. They all have a story and a variety of objectives, but its all bots and shit to the end. If the story is cool, then cool. If not, it's all a waste of time to me.

How far have you played into Brink's single player? Does the AI play the same at level 1 as it does level 5 or 10 or higher when classes start to come into their own? ANSWERS MAN.

Shoogoo

Kintaro said:
At any rate, this won't matter. We saw this with Borderlands. The single player was a nothing mode and the game still sold millions with a metacritic of around 84. If Brink's MP is good, none of this will matter and reviewers can eat a dick. =)

I don't know, it wasn't excellent
(ending sucked)
but I liked it anyway.

You can't really compare a quake-3-arena-single-player-style to a regular fps single player with an actual story.

derFeef said:
Man, Portal 2 was really bad.
Portal has a pedigree to sail upon. What does Brink have? a publisher who puts out broken games, and a multiplayer the public has yet to see and a movement system that may or may not work in multiplayer especially if it's netcode was broken. Excuse me for my caution, but from my many years around games all those things are big red flags.

Kintaro

Shoogoo said:
I don't know, it wasn't excellent
(ending sucked)
but I liked it anyway.

You can't really compare a quake-3-arena-single-player-style to a regular fps single player with an actual story.

I loved Borderlands, but man single player was dull. =/

I'm also willing to bet Brink's single player with bots will be better than Homefront's proper single player. =D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bluedeviltron said:
Homefront'd
Reading through the reviews, Homefront got eviscerated for its lackluster SP campaign. MP just got a blurb that it was fun but it wouldn't replace CoD or BC2. Going by the descriptions, reviewers might have played an hour of MP at most before they went to print.

Kintaro said:
I honestly didn't quite follow what you were getting at. Sorry. I compare it because to me, you're still just playing with bots one way or the other. They all have a story and a variety of objectives, but its all bots and shit to the end. If the story is cool, then cool. If not, it's all a waste of time to me.

How far have you played into Brink's single player? Does the AI play the same at level 1 as it does level 5 or 10 or higher when classes start to come into their own? ANSWERS MAN.

If you can't tell the difference between Brink's SP being an exact copy of MP with "BOOLEAN botsActive = true" and a true SP campaign like in Halo Reach then I can't help you. Regardless...

I got to level 8; bots do change their loadouts to keep in line with you, so heavies appear at level 5 and lights at level 7. They start throwing molotovs and such. It doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of them being really stupid and letting me shoot them to death on Hard. They were also still constantly missing their shots or not even firing at all when they were looking straight at me.

SapientWolf said:
Reading through the reviews, Homefront got eviscerated for its lackluster SP campaign. MP just got a blurb that it was fun but it wouldn't replace CoD or BC2. Going by the descriptions, reviewers might have played an hour of MP at most before they went to print.
I don't think you need more than an hour in a multiplayer game to know if you like it or not.

mjc

I have faith that the MP will be good. I do think that reviewers will slam it overall though because of a weak "single player". It might bring back memories of how Shadowrun was treated by the gaming press when that came out. Such a criminally underrated game.

SapientWolf said:

Homefront made its MP easy to dismiss by copying Battlefield and CoD so closely.

Detox

Brink's SP is exactly the same as Unreal Tournaments except it's got cutscenes, I can't remember if UT3 did. It is a match against respawning bots on the exact same multiplayer maps with the same rules bookended by cutscenes, COD is nothing like this. This is a strictly multiplayer game and anyone buying it for SP will be really disappointed because the AI is only good at supporting and is awful at shooting.

zlatko

Banned
HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Portal has a pedigree to sail upon. What does Brink have? a publisher who puts out broken games, and a multiplayer the public has yet to see and a movement system that may or may not work in multiplayer especially if it's netcode was broken. Excuse me for my caution, but from my many years around games all those things are big red flags.

Dig through the last few pages of this thread to see the game in action from people who got the game early.

There has been streams up the last few days, and aside from the players being fuck awful at the game, it looks outstanding and lag issues were nowhere to be seen.

Of course, that's with low player counts online, so it's hard to judge what the online will be like come full retail.

If you are worried about lag, then get the PC version to play on dedicated servers so that issue is non existent. As for how the game plays, it looks like SMART works and the game is fun. I'd love to link you to the most amazing videos that have been put up on YT, but SD has been hard at work pulling them all down unfortunately. :(

Just wait till tomorrow when Gaf will flood you with impressions, myself included around this time tomorrow, so you can feel safer with your money if it is a good game or not.

bought it, for 16.99 + $10 amazon credit on my next purchase. not really loosing much if the game sucks. got free next day delivery too. I love amazon

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
I don't think you need more than an hour in a multiplayer game to know if you like it or not.

But if in that hour you haven't unlocked key gameplay aspects (in this case, body types) or at least properly learned the nuances of combat then how can you properly evaluate it?

Weenerz

Banned
zlatko said:
So PC guys get it first? Is the D2D deal still going on to get it for 37 bucks? If I go through D2D, would I be able to play at midnight on PC? :O

That's what I did and Steam says it unlocks at midnight eastern for me.

zlatko said:
Dig through the last few pages of this thread to see the game in action from people who got the game early.

There has been streams up the last few days, and aside from the players being fuck awful at the game, it looks outstanding and lag issues were nowhere to be seen.

Of course, that's with low player counts online, so it's hard to judge what the online will be like come full retail.

If you are worried about lag, then get the PC version to play on dedicated servers so that issue is non existent. As for how the game plays, it looks like SMART works and the game is fun. I'd love to link you to the most amazing videos that have been put up on YT, but SD has been hard at work pulling them all down unfortunately. :(

Just wait till tomorrow when Gaf will flood you with impressions, myself included around this time tomorrow, so you can feel safer with your money if it is a good game or not.
Thanks. Sadly My pc is out of commission for the moment so it'll need to be a 360 copy of the game.
walbertsmith said:
But if in that hour you haven't unlocked key gameplay aspects (in this case, body types) or at least properly learned the nuances of combat then how can you properly evaluate it?
as a paying customer for a product if I'm not enjoying myself upfront why would i keep playing it?

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
Brink's SP is exactly the same as Unreal Tournaments except it's got cutscenes, I can't remember if UT3 did. It is a match against respawning bots on the exact same multiplayer maps with the same rules bookended by cutscenes, COD is nothing like this. This is a strictly multiplayer game and anyone buying it for SP will be really disappointed because the AI is only good at supporting and is awful at shooting.

UT3 had cutscenes too but yea, it was bots.

PC release for US folks is 9PM PST/12AM EST.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Genesis Knight said:
Homefront made its MP easy to dismiss by copying Battlefield and CoD so closely.
On the surface. You'd have to play more than an hour to appreciate the differences.

I hope Brink gets a more thorough evaluation because it wouldn't be fair for reviewers to dismiss it as a TF2 clone.

Kintaro

Genesis Knight said:
If you can't tell the difference between Brink's SP being an exact copy of MP with "BOOLEAN botsActive = true" and a true SP campaign like in Halo Reach then I can't help you. Regardless...

I can tell the difference. Thanks. However, I honestly don't care. If it entertains me, than I don't care which type of SP it has. Left 4 Dead's bot filled SP was more entertaining to me than Homefront's proper SP was to me.

I got to level 8; bots do change their loadouts to keep in line with you, so heavies appear at level 5 and lights at level 7. They start throwing molotovs and such. It doesn't really make much of a difference in terms of them being really stupid and letting me shoot them to death on Hard. They were also still constantly missing their shots or not even firing at all when they were looking straight at me.

Thanks for the impressions. =D

derFeef

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Just saying that this is no measure point nowadays anymore.

Cyntec

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
No demo and no early reviews I'm a little concerned and I can't decide if I should order it or not.

Give this man the Million Dollar, he just answered to question to it...

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
as a paying customer for a product if I'm not enjoying myself upfront why would i keep playing it?

Fair point, but your post (which I replied to) was a response to someone mentioning that reviewers gave the impression they only invested an hour into the multiplayer.

I don't begrudge you for having an opinion on an aspect of a game after an hour, but if you're a professional reviewer and are paid to properly evaluate a product then... properly evaluate that product.

JonCha

Shoogoo said:
There's a Brink 360 GT for the community, but shouldn't we make separate US and EU GTs?

Just throwing the idea.

Was going to post something similar. When I've used GAF tags in the past lots of people aren't on when I am, because of timezones.

Watched the trailer. The platforming section just before two minutes is awesome, and at around 2:10 the guy killing looked like Jack of Blades of Fable 1 haha. Awesome stuff.

Nearing purchase...

vixlar

If this game get bad reviews for not having SP, that would be a shame. This game is stated as a MP mainly, and the bots as an alternative. Actually I don't like SP on Battlefield, and I hate that for Battlefield 3 they are promoting SP as the main attraction.

And for the 8 vs 8, it sounds dull at first (I love 12 vs 12 in Battlefield) but I've seen that they are closed spaces, and maybe more players would be overcrowded.

The thing I don't like is that there are no dedicated servers for consoles.

I want to try this game, but the friend whom I play with only use the Carl Gustac on Battlefield, and she doesn't like to try new games ¬¬

Top Bottom