• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

walbertsmith said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's actually a number of factors in play in ID'ing enemies.

Any class: If you visually see anyone, you call them out automatically to your teammates; both audio and on your radar. No need to push Select/Back for this to activate.

Operative: Can comm hack incapped enemies to reveal the enemy team for 10 seconds on the minimap, and also has Homing Beacon which actually gives the red outline you can see through walls.
I hope that's true, spotting in BC2 was kind wonky.

Palmer_v1 said:
I think you have to be looking down the sights for it to spot people. Just running and seeing them doesn't.

That sounds about right. I just knew that it was an "auto-spotting" mechanic that didn't need to use Select/Back, but didn't know anything past that.

Considering one of the skills is Combat Intuition and that there's the mine-spotting mechanic using ADS, it makes sense.

Ken

Proven said:
Something's been bothering me for a while. What does ADS mean?
Aim Down Sights.

Example: In MW2 you ADS by holding the left trigger to look down the iron sights or other type of scope.

My copy is now shipping soon from Amazon. Can't wait.

Shoogoo

Pandoracell said:
I don't have a problem with it, but I don't have time to do it personally at the moment. Someone else can make one, and if not, I will in about six hours.

I can do it, you're not from EU so why should you care :)

I'll pm you the details so you can update the OP.

Nocebo said:
Hmm the lack of interesting weapons is a little concerning.
Well, the weapons are pretty much modern FPS standard as far as I've seen. What kind of weapons would you want to see? At least the customization goes further than in most games (up to 4 attachments on one weapon), so that makes up for it imo.

Palmer_v1 said:
Do you know that for sure? I just lump them all together, but if there's been evidence it's Bethesda and not Splash Damage being dicks, I'll gladly edit my post.

Yeah, Deano or whoever from SD said he'd put up videos if he could but that's Bethesda's arena, and usually with these games it's the publisher not the developer who enforces NDA and clamps down on pre-game leaks. SD isn't handling the marketing, and that extends to YouTube.

Also yeah, anyone can spot an enemy just by looking at them in the iron sights.

Palmer_v1

close to the edge said:
... What kind of weapons would you want to see? ...

ypeab.jpg

Ding

Palmer_v1 said:
I think you have to be looking down the sights for it to spot people. Just running and seeing them doesn't.
"Just seeing them" causes them to appear on you own radar, but as you say, you need to aim at them in order to convey the enemy's location to your teammates.

I think.

Palmer_v1

narwhalSTAB said:
Why is Master Chief eating that dogs asshole? :(

That's how he uploads Cortana.

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, Deano or whoever from SD said he'd put up videos if he could but that's Bethesda's arena, and usually with these games it's the publisher not the developer who enforces NDA and clamps down on pre-game leaks. SD isn't handling the marketing, and that extends to YouTube.

I went back and edited the other post. Apologies to any Splash Damage folks that might be around!

Raide

Without playing the game yet, I have no idea about the weapons. I would prefer more gadgets to play with. Maybe adding Motion Tracking Mines, Stationary Medic Robots that can be deployed on the battlefield and they have a certain amount of healing charges or a Stun Gun/Pepper Spray. :D

XeroSauce

Raide said:
Without playing the game yet, I have no idea about the weapons. I would prefer more gadgets to play with. Maybe adding Motion Tracking Mines, Stationary Medic Robots that can be deployed on the battlefield and they have a certain amount of healing charges or a Stun Gun/Pepper Spray. :D

I'd love to see how effective the Operative's "Control MG" ability is.

Genesis Knight said:
It took some work to kill bots with the MG because of its low damage, it'll be tough getting humans with it.

Were you able to use it with a Gatling turret? And how exactly do you turn on/turn off the "control" mechanic?

Can you control a friendly turret, use the skill, "deactivate" it to run somewhere else, then "reactivate" the skill later? Or is it like as soon as you use it, you can only use it during that time then must re-activate the skill later if you want to take control again?

walbertsmith said:
Were you able to use it with a Gatling turret? And how exactly do you turn on/turn off the "control" mechanic?

Can you control a friendly turret, use the skill, "deactivate" it to run somewhere else, then "reactivate" the skill later? Or is it like as soon as you use it, you can only use it during that time then must re-activate the skill later if you want to take control again?

Oops; total brain fart; I was thinking of the MG nests, not the turrets. Sorry! I think operatives can only control Turrets, not MGs right? What I was talking about was the MG nest. Turrets cause far less damage (level 1 light turrets, at least), so what I said goes double, though.

legbone

my amazon preorder (with release date shipping) just shipped. everyone might want to check your orders.

anyway, i just wanted to state that the embargo does not worry me one bit. they probably just wanted to keep jackholes from reviewing it early because they couldn't play the game the way it was really meant to be played prior to good numbers online. i could see a bunch of early reviews being based on bot matches or low populated online matches where bots make up the majority of the players. that would do any game of this type a great disservice.

2th

Banned
HELLA_MONEYZ said:

for as long as that image has been around i am really surprised no AAA title has ever tried to incorporate it. Even as a joke weapon.

As for Brink... makes me think it is Unreal Tournament meets TF2. Looks promising. Though i will not be buying it first day. I dont think it has THAT much promise so i will let some friends play it and see what they say.

Ken

thezerofire said:
for everyone else who ordered from Amazon, how do we get the code for the Psycho pack? Is it just going to be with the game?
Will most likely be emailed and then redeemed through your console/PC.

thezerofire said:
for everyone else who ordered from Amazon, how do we get the code for the Psycho pack? Is it just going to be with the game?
'and the Psycho Pack access code e-mailed, within two days after your order ships'

GlamFM

Banned
Got this 2 hours ago - absolutely not my game.

The controls feel really imprecise, movement is very slow and the endless respawning enemies make completing objectives super frustrating.

I´ll give it another try tomorrow.

XBOX360 btw.

GlamFM said:

The controls feel really imprecise, movement is very slow and the endless respawning enemies make completing objectives super frustrating.

XBOX360 btw.

DUDE wait for MP servers to come online tomorrow, yeah. "SP" sucks.

Teknoman

You'd think Bulletstorm would've jumped on the chainsaw gun.

GlamFM said:

XBOX360 btw.

Use SMART.

Genesis Knight said:
Oops; total brain fart; I was thinking of the MG nests, not the turrets. Sorry! I think operatives can only control Turrets, not MGs right? What I was talking about was the MG nest. Turrets cause far less damage (level 1 light turrets, at least), so what I said goes double, though.

Ah word, gotcha. Yeah, Operatives can only control friendly turrets, not MG nests.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Portal has a pedigree to sail upon. What does Brink have? a publisher who puts out broken games, and a multiplayer the public has yet to see and a movement system that may or may not work in multiplayer especially if it's netcode was broken. Excuse me for my caution, but from my many years around games all those things are big red flags.

Movement system works great from my time with the game at PAX. Feels easy to pick up and adds to the experience.

Sanic

Shoogoo said:
I can do it, you're not from EU so why should you care :)

I'll pm you the details so you can update the OP.
I do care because I'm a nice guy and tags aren't that difficult to create :p

I'll be able to update the OP in about 4 hours.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
GlamFM said:

XBOX360 btw.

Comments on a MP before servers are live? Alrighty. Endless respawning of enemies... sheesh.

Teknoman

commish said:
Comments on a MP before servers are live? Alrighty. Endless respawning of enemies... sheesh.

Seeing as how SP functions how MP would...endless respawning is normal. Its like playing a assault in UT99 against bots.

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question...I downloaded the installer from D2D, but I just found out that the game is Steamworks. Does running the installer automatically ask to link it with a Steam account, or do I need to enter a code into Steam to activate it that way?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Blizzard said:
Stupid question...I downloaded the installer from D2D, but I just found out that the game is Steamworks. Does running the installer automatically ask to link it with a Steam account, or do I need to enter a code into Steam to activate it that way?

What you want to do is to just check your email/d2d account for the cd-key and then type that into steam and dl it via steam. Quick and clean :)

derFeef said:
With a mouse that gif would have ended in the first 0.5 seconds.
Why chase someone on top of a bunch of obstacles when you can just shoot them.

Reminds me of this :

1754925_o.gif

Black borders in a gif, Screenshot gaf will be pissed off

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ryuuga said:
Wow, the animations look really off.

Have any of SD's games had good animations?

SneakyStephan said:
With a mouse that gif would have ended in the first 0.5 seconds.
Why chase someone on top of a bunch of obstacles when you can just shoot them.

They're trying to sell the game to the masses. Drama man, drama.

Top Bottom