• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Grayman

Twig said:
I feel like I die way too fast as a light body type. I understand that they're supposed to be more fragile, but I have had occasions where I am literally - no exaggeration - shooting into someone's back for a full second or more with an SMG before they turn around and hit me with what sounds like (but is almost assuredly more than) three bullets and I die.

It's disappointing, because jumping around the terrain is what I really want to do. There're just too many flying bullets to really do it. ):
to me as a light body the death sound always sounds like two shotgun bursts, and then the machine gun icon comes up. Sometimes lights live through a lot and sometimes they drop dead immediately, i am not used to it yet.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
OMG the game fixed itself... ?

Let's get the technical hurdles out of the way. I did a complete tune up of my pc including a driver sweep and reinstall. Now I am running at 40-60fps with everything off, but v-sync, AA and medium textures. This performance isn't "great" or even "good" considering my GPUs, but its definitely acceptable. Moreover, dozens of servers in the west coast showed up today and I have been getting decent pings all night, the bugs introduced by lag are completely gone. To top it off, I haven't experienced the audio mute bug at all tonight. I don't know if the game got patched or its just my luck, but my experience tonight was much better compared to yesterday and I am happy I can finally enjoy the game.

This game is deeeeeeep. There are just so many aspects to this game, that it feels overwhelming at times, but that is fun. It's been a while since I played a game with a learning curve that required you to understand plenty of concepts in order to have a chance at succeeding. You can be a shooting ace, but unless you go through the tutorials/challenges, you won't do shit in this game and I like that.

I still don't understand the objectives completely or everything I am supposed to do, but I like everything so far. Ohh, and the guns feel just right, heavy and clunky, but right, not twitchy like in TF2/UT, which I enjoy a lot. In fact, I have been playing with an SMG and it reminds me a lot of the AR in Halo: CE, which is great.

RPG like progression and skill trees are super cool, and they really affect your play style. Two classes can play completely different depending on the skill trees. The characters customization is the best I have seen in a shooter.

I am super happy I decided to give it another go, I am hooked right now.

godhandiscen said:
OMG the game fixed itself... ?

Let's get the technical hurdles out of the way. I did a complete tune up of my pc including a driver sweep and reinstall. Now I am running at 40-60fps with everything off, but v-sync, AA and medium textures. This performance isn't "great" or even "good" considering my GPUs, but its definitely acceptable. Moreover, dozens of servers in the west coast showed up today and I have been getting decent pings all night, the bugs introduced by lag are completely gone. To top it off, I haven't experienced the audio mute bug at all tonight. I don't know if the game got patched or its just my luck, but my experience tonight was much better compared to yesterday and I am happy I can finally enjoy the game.

This game is deeeeeeep. There are just so many aspects to this game, that it feels overwhelming at times, but that is fun. It's been a while since I played a game with a learning curve that required you to understand plenty of concepts in order to have a chance at succeeding. You can be a shooting ace, but unless you go through the tutorials/challenges, you won't do shit in this game and I like that.

I still don't understand the objectives completely or everything I am supposed to do, but I like everything so far. Ohh, and the guns feel just right, heavy and clunky, but right, not twitchy like in TF2/UT, which I enjoy a lot. In fact, I have been playing with an SMG and it reminds me a lot of the AR in Halo: CE, which is great.

RPG like progression and skill trees are super cool, and they really affect your play style. Two classes can play completely different depending on the skill trees. The characters customization is the best I have seen in a shooter.

I am super happy I decided to give it another go, I am hooked right now.

I have to say, it really hurts to be sitting here, literally on the other side of the world from my Xbox, and reading posts like this... :(

Only three more days!

Tokubetsu

A big thing with this too is often, it's in your best interest to run away. No "see how many I can take with me" kinda shit here. Just run around the corner and come back! Sometimes they wont even see you and they'll just leave that command post wide open.

jgminto

The IGN review seemed a little harsh. Obviously if the review system wasn't screwed up a 6 would be acceptable but I don't trust IGN reviews anymore. So just trying to gauge the impressions on GAF. How is it?

Ramirez

I really, really like this game, but the vast majority of people I played with tonight had absolutely no clue what they were doing. The last match I played was just a 10 minute spawn slaughter because people wouldn't push out together, sigh. I actually managed to get a disguise on and get the side door open so that we could flank, and even when the team managed to get up to the gate, none of the 5 engineers would repair the bot, smh.

I need people to play with on 360, add TJ Ram and invite me whenever, I've mostly been playing Engineer/Medic.

derFeef

Oh, godhandiscen.
You have TRI-SLI right? Disabling SLI should boost your performance as it has been confirmed several times now. Give it a shot (until a patch/driver update arrives).

Nocebo

jgminto said:
The IGN review seemed a little harsh. Obviously if the review system wasn't screwed up a 6 would be acceptable but I don't trust IGN reviews anymore. So just trying to gauge the impressions on GAF. How is it?
Judging by what they said in the gameplay and lasting appeal summaries, they only reviewed the singleplayer game. The singleplayer is indeed a joke, but the online is great. It's just unfortunate you have to pay full price for half a game, unless you can get it used.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Got my medium turret tonight, so much better then that craptacular light turret. Hoses guys down effectively and seems to have a farther target acquisition range as well.

I think I'm going to settle on medium body type. The heavy weapons seem pretty awful and there hasn't been anywhere I've wanted to go with SMART that I wasn't able to reach with medium.

I'm loving this game so far. I've been using a light operative to some success. I actually tend to use the extra mobility to get melee attacks or knockdown slides. It's also great for getting out of range when low on hp, circle hacking turrets or finding sniping positions.

My highlight so far was making the intel run on the "save the pilot" map, and strafing left and right to avoid bullets during the cap. Think about not getting the 3rd person cap perk, sometimes that ability to move is more useful than seeing the whole enemy team coming.

Grayman

jgminto said:
The game should only get better with age. I like it but you could wait for some issues to be sorted out and pick it up cheaper. I am not going to turn you away from it but I can't give you a buy it now recommendation yet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
derFeef said:
Oh, godhandiscen.
You have TRI-SLI right? Disabling SLI should boost your performance as it has been confirmed several times now. Give it a shot (until a patch/driver update arrives).
Despite the occasional ping issues(which do happen) and the fact that my whole game looks like a grid, I've still managed to log several hours into the game. And this is from someone who does NOT do multiplayer games especially shooters. I used to play a bunch of TF2, BF2 and Tribes 2. Prior to this, I played a lot of Monday Night Combat and Section 8: Prejudice. I really love the look of the game; I know some people think there's not enough maps, but I think the maps they do have look very diverse. I also think people should fault themselves for hyping SMART up too much. It does what it does -- it makes it so you can get to upper areas and use the environment to flank people and utilize dives to get behind cover.

I'd love if a map editor got out there, but I really just want them to patch it. I'm able to play it despite all these bugs, but I don't like supporting such a buggy launch. I really, really like it though.

PC user. 48xx ATI card whom seem to be hit the hardest by THE GRID

edit: oh and I'm not a huge fan of having to do SP stuff to unlock certain MP stuff. I've barely touched the campaign stuff.

Tokubetsu

zoner said:
Despite the occasional ping issues(which do happen) and the fact that my whole game looks like a grid, I've still managed to log several hours into the game. And this is from someone who does NOT do multiplayer games especially shooters. I used to play a bunch of TF2, BF2 and Tribes 2. Prior to this, I played a lot of Monday Night Combat and Section 8: Prejudice. I really love the look of the game; I know some people think there's not enough maps, but I think the maps they do have look very diverse. I also think people should fault themselves for hyping SMART up too much. It does what it does -- it makes it so you can get to upper areas and use the environment to flank people and utilize dives to get behind cover.

I'd love if a map editor got out there, but I really just want them to patch it. I'm able to play it despite all these bugs, but I don't like supporting such a buggy launch. I really, really like it though.

PC user. 48xx ATI card whom seem to be hit the hardest by THE GRID

Talking about the grid so much, you'd think we were trapped in TRON. My next cards gonna be nvidia.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tokubetsu said:
Talking about the grid so much, you'd think we were trapped in TRON. My next cards gonna be nvidia.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, how many 2007+ OpenGL games have you played prior to this?

Tokubetsu

zoner said:
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, how many 2007+ OpenGL games have you played prior to this?

Idk. It's a grass is always greener sort of thing I guess. I just feel like I've always been on the shit side of these problems. This is going back to the 9600/9800 days.

jgminto

Grayman said:
The game should only get better with age. I like it but you could wait for some issues to be sorted out and pick it up cheaper. I am not going to turn you away from it but I can't give you a buy it now recommendation yet.
I think I'll rent it this weekend. The multiplayer looks interesting but because of the length maybe it would have worked better as a downloadable title like 1943.

Sinatar said:
Got my medium turret tonight, so much better then that craptacular light turret. Hoses guys down effectively and seems to have a farther target acquisition range as well.

I think I'm going to settle on medium body type. The heavy weapons seem pretty awful and there hasn't been anywhere I've wanted to go with SMART that I wasn't able to reach with medium.

Good to know that the turrets actually do get better!

Are the heavy weapons really that bad? :/ Disappointing if true. Heavy really isn't my thing, but I hate hearing that its worthless.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
divisionbyzorro said:
Good to know that the turrets actually do get better!

Are the heavy weapons really that bad? :/ Disappointing if true. Heavy really isn't my thing, but I hate hearing that its worthless.

I think the heavy weapons are probably better on console with the nonexistant recoil, but on PC they are wildly inaccurate even when stationary and crouched. I can hose down folks far faster with little machine pistols then I can with SAW's and miniguns which is just wrong.

Tokubetsu

Sinatar said:
I think the heavy weapons are probably better on console with the nonexistant recoil, but on PC they are wildly inaccurate even when stationary and crouched. I can hose down folks far faster with little machine pistols then I can with SAW's and miniguns which is just wrong.

They're just there to be meat shields on PC basically and even then, you're sacrificing all this movement so it's not worth it at all. Especially when everyone else is light and medium, sliding into cover constantly.

I bought Brink from the D2D uk store (i live in sweden). Since it said the game was available in sweden from the uk store i will rage if i don't have a working key by friday.

This is my first buy from D2D and while i browsed their site i found some really good prices but if they fuck this one up this will 100% be the first and only game i buy from them.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Tokubetsu said:
They're just there to be meat shields on PC basically and even then, you're sacrificing all this movement so it's not worth it at all. Especially when everyone else is light and medium, sliding into cover constantly.
I find heavies useful as medics, with buffed health they can often cross a firefight, revive somebody and get back to cover before they go down, all the time returning fire with a big ol' cannon.

pappakenoo said:
I bought Brink from the D2D uk store (i live in sweden). Since it said the game was available in sweden from the uk store i will rage if i don't have a working key by friday.

This is my first buy from D2D and while i browsed their site i found some really good prices but if they fuck this one up this will 100% be the first and only game i buy from them.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Never using their service again, but hey, at least we get a cheap game eventually!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I love my Heavy Soldier with the Chinzor MG or Gottlung minigun, and an AR for backup. Running pure Soldier skills and I have wonderful flashbacks to my ET days of wielding an undeployed MG42 (all that's missing is a deployable mortar).

Played a couple of great rounds with Crooked Rain last night before we got hit with the sound disappearance bug on the Airport/Hangar level; we still managed to win though!

Raide

The more I watch the Machinima and MLG stuff, the more awesome Brink shines through. It does seem to have a high learning curve, so people are bound to get put off really early. Come on Friday!

learning curve seems relatively low to me. Everything is so streamlined and intuitive that you never get lost on what to do. Just pick the objective you want to complete in the scroll-wheel and go at it.

And the objectives have symbols beside them that let you know which class is needed to complete it.

X-Frame

I am having a tough time completing Two-Star "Be Objective" and Two-Star "Tower Defense"

Can I unlock the rewards if I play with buddies or only by myself?

X-Frame said:
I am having a tough time completing Two-Star "Be Objective" and Two-Star "Tower Defense"

What? They seemed way too easy and utterly boring for me, I think you are doing something wrong. Don't know the answer though.

X-Frame said:

I dont think playing w/friends unlocks the rewards. The objective one is tough, but what problems are you having w/ tower defense?

X-Frame

Well, I only tried twice to beat both of them then moved on .. and this was before I did anything when I got the game.

Does your character abilities/weapons transfer over into the Challenges?

The hardest part of the objective tutorial was hacking the machine. My bots wouldn't give me any cover. I would have to mow down the entire other team and then get a small % of hack done.

For tower defense watch the orange lights, they help you know which direction the enemies will come from. I sat right next to the control point, from that platform you can mow down two of the tunnels easily.

equil

divisionbyzorro said:
Just got a second $10 promotional credit for Brink. Guess I won't end up with a Psycho Pack after all :/

I got the extra $10 yesterday, and they just sent me the code for the Psycho pack today.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ohh man, if I wrote down how good I feel about this game right now I would sound like a shill, so I will just wait a couple weeks for everything to sink and for the honeymoon to be over before I say things I could end up rregretting, but so far, I am incredibly happy with this game.

I just want to point out that Splash Damage has set a benchmark for what a HUD should display in a shooter. I do not need to know the map to navigate easily around it thanks to the objective indicator. Once you learn how to use the tools the game puts at your disposal its a completely different game. Also, indicators for when I should buff a teammate, build or fix something, move somewhere, defend a point, etc, help complete strangers act as a team unit. I just played one of the most strategic games I've ever played, everybody was doing what they needed to do and no voice or text communication was needed, the game was just feeding the right amount of information, it was great.

One last thing. These guys really spend their time creating a great UI for the skill trees/character customization/weapon customization. This UI puts the one in Crysis 2, CoD:BO, and even Halo Reach to shame. This is the kind of attention to detail you expect from a MP focused game.

edit: Still crashes on exit. Not cool, I hope they fix this bug asap.

Anyone with Dual Core and or ATi 58xx card? I've heard some horror stories even with the latest 11.5a drivers which supposedly fix performance for Brink.

Melhisedek said:
Anyone with Dual Core and or ATi 58xx card? I've heard some horror stories even with the latest 11.5a drivers which supposedly fix performance for Brink.

yeah right here. Avoid the 11.5a bullshit fix. It made performance worse for me. Disable AO and set shadows to 0 in the console command. Then it's smooth.

Plasma

Banned
My copy just shipped, if it gets here tomorrow will I be able to activate it and play it? Or will Steam make me wait until Friday.

X-Frame

nismogrendel said:
The hardest part of the objective tutorial was hacking the machine. My bots wouldn't give me any cover. I would have to mow down the entire other team and then get a small % of hack done.

For tower defense watch the orange lights, they help you know which direction the enemies will come from. I sat right next to the control point, from that platform you can mow down two of the tunnels easily.
Yeah the hacking part of Be Objective was a bitch, but now that I'm a higher level I assume that will be easier, especially since I can take my guns into it I hope?

And I received 2 emails for the Amazon $10 credit and figured one was a duplicate, didn't check to see if they're both applied. And I got my Psycho pack this morning.

syoaran

To those who have played it quite a lot online - are there any maps that are the Dustbowl/De_dust equivalent for brink (i.e its so well designed/fun/balanced that its easily the best map out of the launch lineup).

I'm also hoping that they follow up with free map packs.

Twig

Banned
syoaran said:
To those who have played it quite a lot online - are there any maps that are the Dustbowl/De_dust equivalent for brink (i.e its so well designed/fun/balanced that its easily the best map out of the launch lineup).

I'm also hoping that they follow up with free map packs.
oh god what how could you dustbowl is awful oh god i threw up in my mouth it tastes disgusting eurghgh oh gooood

syoaran

Twig said:
oh god what how could you dustbowl is awful oh god i threw up in my mouth it tastes disgusting eurghgh oh gooood

It's the most popular TF2 map by far. It's not personal preferance, but it's interesting to hear what people think of the maps at this stage. Same with De_dust. You might not like it, but the facts are there - its the most popular map for a reason.

Top Bottom