• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

zlatko

Banned
Papercuts said:
You thought it would redefine the multiplayer shooter and are judging it without playing multi yet? :p

But he played the first mission and knows the story isn't there!

:p

I had super hyped expectations myself in the game being FUN. I joked about it being Jesus' second coming in pixel form a couple times in this thread too, but I never expected this game to revolutionize FPS'. I expected it to be my favorite multiplayer game this year or at the least be my go to summer fun game.

It's never good to over hype yourself on any game...

Island

X-Frame said:
That is very odd .. I wonder why I would be the only one lagging.

Is my connection good?

1290649195.png

notsureifserious.jpg

I would say that is a good connection, similar to mine.

Alas, still cant LAUNCH the game, so cant chime in on actual playability with that connection.

Blizzard

Banned
I realized today that there IS a spectator team, d'oh, so maybe you can use that to switch teams if bots are turned on.

I also tried the r_shadows 0 thing, and though I'm not sure if it made much difference, I was able to get 20-40 fps most of the time so it was semi-playable. 30 isn't great but at least you can get some degree of motion. I unlocked the light body and ran around with it. I have all 3 medic abilities now.

I figured out how to use the fireteam thing. Yay purple names!

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Dr Eggman said:
I played the first mission and the first challenge and I have to say: this game is disappointing. It's a good game until now no doubt but I guess it's my fault for overhyping it this much. I thought it'd be the revolution of shooters and it'd redefine the multiplayer shooter. I was so, so, so off.

The shooting is clunky in a way and the aiming doesn't feel fluid. The movement is good since SMART helps you move around but once again; I expected something more. Story is barely there and isn't good at all. Multiplayer hasn't been played yet but I'll get to that soon. 7/10 until now I guess?

Hey guys, I booted up TF2 and played some training missions and it was boring as hell. 7/10.

Snark aside, the multiplayer and the singleplayer are one in the same. It's like Left 4 Dead. You even get the same cutscenes in singleplayer as well as in multiplayer. Singleplayer is just the multiplayer matches with bots for allies. It's a multiplayer driven game, and really can't fairly be judged on its singleplayer components alone.

I've never seen a game that polarized people so violently. Even myself - I keep fluctuating between the game's flaws and the game's successes. On one hand, the game has got an engaging artstyle, some really interesting design choices, and the core mechanics are really strong. When this game works, it's a blast. On the flip side there are clear technical issues on just about every platform, a few quirky interface/design choices that if fixed could vastly improve the overall experience but for now just leave you frustrated. I really feel this game is a few technical patches away from being a rockin' multiplayer shooter, but with the response on GAF and elsewhere so negative and so emotional I don't know if Bethesda will bother to fund development to patch the game up to its potential. In the mean time, I'll be playing while I can.

Edit: Really, this game screams "No one outside of the development staff touched this thing during development." That's the real problem with a lot of the design and interface issues. Things that are a clear "No duh" to people who have been in on every design meeting are lost on people just coming into the game. Objectives get completed and the only way to know is to either be staring at the GUI as it happens or to check your objectives wheel and realize that thing you were chasing no longer matters. Instead random, unnecessary information gets shouted your way - "I'M TRYING A DISGUISE" is important enough to warrant a shout-out, but objective completion isn't?

Never got a response when I asked a few hours ago. What is up with being unable to join a team on some MP servers on PC?

I joined a match that the browser said was an 18 player server. When I got in it was 5 vs 5 and everyone else was forced to spectate. The change team option was greyed out.

After the round ended (5 mins later) I was able to join a team. Do some servers have slots set to spectate only or something?

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Well there are "fireteam join" "fireteam leave" "fireteam list" etc. console commands, but I couldn't get them to do anything.

What you do is hit escape, click the scoreboard label...click it AGAIN, I think, and it should expand out to the right. Click someone's name, and you can mute them, votekick them, make a fireteam with them, invite someone else, etc. I created a fireteam with one person, and then tried to do the same thing with the second person, and I think it asked us to vote to allow the last person in. I must have pressed the wrong button but it still seems like the functionality is there in some form.

Once you're in a fire team, the name shows up as purple even way across the map through walls. Useful.

One ability I really like is the simple one that makes you see the yellow wedge (with alert sound?) when someone you can't see puts their crosshairs on you. *plays MGS alert sound*

Grayman

Had some fun games on the us gaf server.

-It is early to tell but it does seem like many of the objectives favour defense so far.
-I have not found a lot of great light body smart usage yet. I may go back to medium or even try heavy for awhile.
-PIPs are no problem even on light with all the abilities to increase them there is no problem playing a super medic.
-The revolver pistol is awesome, the rifles seem to need iron sights or scoping to hit.

disabling shadows has finally made me enjoy this game a lot more now. I'm not suffering from any framerate drops and it's an enjoyable mp game. Defense has it easier for the most part every match though.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Yeah, it really has been polarizing people. Luckily I knew generally what to expect, being a fan of Splash Damage, and girded my and my friends' loins for it. I figured the singleplayer would kind of be a greasy turd and the multiplayer would be the bomb if you worked together all close, since that's pretty much what ET:QW was. The technical hiccups are... unfortunate, but that is what patches are for.

There were ungirded loins out there, however. They were ungirded hard.

d0c_zaius

So it seems that when I tried Freeplay, I just got really laggy games.

But when I did Campaign and set it to everyone and versus, I got a good game and it was really fun. Like really really fun.

-Its nice to play an FPS where I dont feel magnetized to the ground

-Seeing the teamwork used with constant buffs, refills and revives is awesome and really keeps fights going. I can definitely see some (good) Shadowrun comparisons with this.

-Character customization is good but animation quality of others traversing is rough at distances

-Contextual audio is well used

-Art style feels different, some of it works and some doesnt.

-Story isnt too much. I actually prefer the short cutscenes before, during and after the fights.

In the end it won't be for everyone, but I think there is a enough solid, well thought out gameplay to keep people interested in the long run. But they are going to have to work hard and quickly to improve the general performance issues (360).

Mrbob

Played a couple hours so far, a little rough around the edges but I'm having fun. The multi player design is anti Call of Duty so suffice to say I'm digging the team based objectiveness of it!

Teknoman

Im getting destroyed via SMGs, so I guess I need to take people down with the AR from further away?

Anyway, with the revolver, would it be smart to put a rapid fire on it? Seems to have so much recoil that it wouldnt help.

shotguns are imbalanced for the same reasons why shotguns are always imbalanced. one hit kills from a distance a shotgun should one hit kill you at.

If you play your game in single player is it possible to customize your team or just yourself?

Most reviews are saying that the bots aren't worth a shit, so I'm wondering if you can at least make them all beefy big guys (meat shields) or if you don't have control over that stuff.

Ken

Tylahedras said:
If you play your game in single player is it possible to customize your team or just yourself?

Most reviews are saying that the bots aren't worth a shit, so I'm wondering if you can at least make them all beefy big guys (meat shields) or if you don't have control over that stuff.
Pretty sure you have no control over the bots.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Tylahedras said:

No, you can't change your teammates in singleplayer. You can, however, choose to play through the singleplayer with a few friends - this helps. But since the singleplayer and multiplayer matches are the same right down to the cutscenes, you're probably better off just hopping into a live multiplayer match.

< wal!

been havin a good time on gaf server :D when i first played this morning i was pretty down on the game, but have been playing all day, quite enjoying it now

classicdms

Neo Member
Game is fucking great when people know what they're supposed to be doing.

But simple shit like "We need operatives for this mission to be successful" seems to be going right over peoples heads. I thought this was PC gaming. Where the fuck is my master race when I keep joining servers with clueless fucks wondering where their K/D ratio is at?

Shoogoo

My friends who bought it on PC had problems playing yesterday (one was lagging, the other one couldn't launch the game). Now they got it working and they're having a blast.

It's going to take some time, but this game will be amazing shortly.

remnant

Banned
Sorry but I have to rant. Fuck this game and those defending this. The game is unplayable right now.

I played 6 games in a row with no sound. Lag all over the place, framerate fluctatues rapidly. How the hell was this released. I can't imagine how bad single player is.

It's ironic becuase Section 8 came out earlier this month and at 1/3rd the price it is way better than this. I should have saved 50 bucks. Fucking disgrace

I should have waited for the reviews. Never pre-ordering a digital game again.

Island

Shoogoo said:
My friends who bought it on PC had problems playing yesterday (one was lagging, the other one couldn't launch the game). Now they got it working and they're having a blast.

Do you know what your friend who couldn't launch the game did to fix his issue?

Teknoman

remnant said:
Sorry but I have to rant. Fuck this game and those defending this. The game is unplayable right now.

I played 6 games in a row with no sound. Lag all over the place, framerate fluctatues rapidly. How the hell was this released. I can't imagine how bad single player is.

It's ironic becuase Section 8 came out earlier this month and at 1/3rd the price it is way better than this. I should have saved 50 bucks. Fucking disgrace

I should have waited for the reviews. Never pre-ordering a digital game again.

Heh, its definitely not unplayable right now. Every game i've been in has been lag free, and aside from the performance issues/texture line glitch, I havent had any sound problems. Yes it needs fixing, but unplayable it aint.

hitoshi

Well, I had horrible lag on my first multiplayer matches. Is there a dedicated server structure on Xbox 360 or all matches are hosted by the players? I think i have a strong connection:

1290712467.png

jtrov

Shoogoo said:

Agreed.

I had two unplayable matches caused by lag all day, but when the game is working, it's easily some of the most fun I've had. I was in a match earlier where we needed to deliver the pass codes, and it was a real intense, back and forth, fire-fight. Well, we get to about two minutes left, and it's probably gonna be our last real chance. I change to medic and buff the guy with Speed + (forget it's real name), and then buff him with Adrenaline once he reaches the delivery point to just give him enough time to complete the objective. It's times like this where the game really shows it's potential, with all it's abilities, and how they come together with team-work.

I'm just really enjoying the hell out of this game, but no true lobby system, and a confusing "free play" option, is really hindering my experience to play with others on my friends list. I definitely see the potential, especially when people have leveled up, tried more abilities, and thoroughly learn the maps.

I'm currently addicted to the Medic class, mostly because of how active you really feel in battle. Medics also rack up so many points by the end of the match, so it's shocking that I'm usually the only medic on my team at times. Definitely having a great time with this.

scoot3r

I dont have any idea wtf im doing on here lol, i was expecting team fortressish with classes but just seems like i just ended up running around shooting people. amidoingitrite?

Teknoman

The M.O.B said:
Sound used to die out on me, but it hasn't all today.

Installed the AMD Hotfix drivers and for some reason that fixed it.

The framerate is still super unstable for me though, i'm running a 6870 and should be silky smooth.

Yeah once they get these performance and visual glitch issues ironed out, it should be somewhat smooth sailing for the PC version at least. Well that and add some improvements to the server browser.

EDIT: Someone with a good computer should record some GAF games.

The M.O.B

Also, it is quite annoying that people have not changed their default class, so when the map starts people run off and don't realize that they are all soldiers and thus can't complete most of the objectives. >_<

Had this happen twice today, I run to the objective and checked to see who was engineer, nobody...........Hopefully as the days go by people will learn the game better :D

Shoogoo

Island said:
Do you know what your friend who couldn't launch the game did to fix his issue?

I don't know for sure, but I think it was more his PC to blame than the game itself, even if that's hard to believe :)

I'll ask him.

Zeal

Banned
tried playing this and had to end up returning it. the reviews are right on the money and this game is hardly playable. unbelievable lag, clipping and framerate issues, sound problems, random disconnects online in all instances, just to name a few. campaign mode is essentially a fake multiplayer experience with random bots and horrible AI.

fucking horrible, buggy piece of shit. this game was NOT tested in any way.

derFeef said:
You know, you constantly try to force people to hate this game in this thread, without having it played for yourself. I am kind of tired of it because there is obviously some people enjoying the game.

Yeah, the repeated "I was so right because this game is broken" posts (after detailing how he returned his copy already) are about as desirable as his self-righteous ban crusading in the Gears Beta Code thread.

Just get out of town and go post in a thread about a game you care about; we don't want to hear it.

Zeal

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, the repeated "I was so right because this game is broken" posts (after detailing how he returned his copy already) are about as desirable as his self-righteous ban crusading in the Gears Beta Code thread.

Just get out of town and go post in a thread about a game you care about; we don't want to hear it.
so the fact that multiple reviews are reporting the game is broken is unacceptable to you? he shouldn't post in here because his opinions of the game (which are completely correct) are somehow trolling?

the game IS broken. he is just reporting what others have already said. you sound like a butthurt member of the development team.

Nocebo

weekend_warrior said:
It sure seems like it at this point.
Zeal said:
campaign mode is essentially a fake multiplayer experience with random bots and horrible AI.
This was obvious from way before the game was even released. Did you really think the singleplaye would have more going for it than that?

Top Bottom