• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

derFeef said:
The shotgun blows your ear off, the revolver has a HUGE kickback, some MG's are music to ears and eyes. I have no idea how anyone can say the guns feel weak and sound awful.
Each pistol has a decent kick back.

zlatko

Banned
Sethos said:
Obviously two completely different classed weapons won't feel the same, don't be stupid. It's the same-classed weapons, rifles / SMGs / etc. they all feel very much the same, where I can agree. Homefront suffered a bit from the same.

So the assault rifles that I mentioned that are 3 burst, the one that is single shot, etc feel the same as well?

If you want to stand by thinking the weapons of each type are the same in feel, go for it, but there's no way in hell I would agree when I've seen proof you are wrong.

Sanic

Captain Fish said:
Are we gonna use mumble this time?

I'm down with that. Did we get a channel created for us on the gaf server?

And if the servers is full when I post the announcement tonight, i'll probably just restart it so gaffers can get on.

Raide

derFeef said:
The shotgun blows your ear off, the revolver has a HUGE kickback, some MG's are music to ears and eyes. I have no idea how anyone can say the guns feel weak and sound awful.

With just 20 mins under my belt, the guns sound delicious with Surround Sound. Also, they seem to have a load of recoil. I thought people said the console version had no recoil?

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
So the assault rifles that I mentioned that are 3 burst, the one that is single shot, etc feel the same as well?

If you want to stand by thinking the weapons of each type are the same in feel, go for it, but there's no way in hell I would agree when I've seen proof you are wrong.

Yes, I am WRONG.

Someone's a little defensive.

zlatko

Banned
Sethos said:
Yes, I am WRONG.

Someone's a little defensive.

I'm just debating and proving my point. You know... discussion board things. I could give 2 shits less if people hate this game or like it. I'm just here to give my honest thoughts based off my experience with it.

Do you have proof to go along with your statement that all the guns feel the same? Maybe some guns share similarities, but toss on a few attachments and you can vary them up more.

Ding

WaywardScribble said:
See. What makes him so right about Brink is in the way it plays. Jeff is actually an incredibly competent shooter player, if you take the time to watch him play many of the other shooters he's played on GB. There have been live shows where playing online, Jeff can do pretty well against GB's fairly large gamer community. He isn't a "top tier" gamer, but he is most definitely not incompetent. Dude can shoot a dude.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it looks awkward because that's how the game itself plays.
Huh... Well, I find that to be an unlikely scenario. I've read an unending litany of complaints about this game, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the actual "aim at stuff" mechanic. They complained about how SMART works, they complained about how recoil is modeled. They've complained about rumble and hit-feedback. They've complained about run-speed. Nothing much about aiming. I would think that if this game makes it hard to aim, we'd have been pretty much buried in complaints along those lines, since that's more important than any of those other things.

But, hey. I'm glad to hear that Jeff is a competent player. I had always assumed he was. He must just have been having a bad day during that QL. (And I only watched about half of it. Perhaps he improved, later.)

Well, heck. I'll just ask: Is it hard to aim at things, in the console versions of Brink?

derFeef

Hopefully I can get my framerate issues under control (multi only) and this is going to be a sweet weekend. I can see this becoming my go-to online shooter like ET back in the days. See you tomorrow Brink-GAF!

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
I'm just debating and proving my point. You know... discussion board things. I could give 2 shits less if people hate this game or like it. I'm just here to give my honest thoughts based off my experience with it.

Do you have proof to go along with your statement that all the guns feel the same? Maybe some guns share similarities, but toss on a few attachments and you can vary them up more.

I have my opinion. The weapons in their respective category sound too much alike, handle too much alike and feel too much alike. As I said, feels like Homefront. Doesn't help when the game's overall gunplay is so piss-weak. So what if a gun fires in bursts, doesn't change the other facts.

Yes now you'll disagree, tell me how wrong I am and you provided proof which is nothing more than your opinion. "Proof".

Grayman

I may get used to this eventually but I want a way to put smart on a different button from sprint. Tap to sprint can be less consistent than holding because so many actions break sprint and SMART can cause grabbing bad walls.

Tap to sprint is a great finger saver but holding lets a sprint start at the first available tick. I see no situation in which holding smart to mantle and slide is ever useful.

zlatko

Banned
Ding said:
Huh... Well, I find that to be an unlikely scenario. I've read an unending litany of complaints about this game, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the actual "aim at stuff" mechanic. They complained about how SMART works, they complained about how recoil is modeled. They've complained about rumble and hit-feedback. They've complained about run-speed. Nothing much about aiming. I would think that if this game makes it hard to aim, we'd have been pretty much buried in complaints along those lines, since that's more important than any of those other things.

But, hey. I'm glad to hear that Jeff is a competent player. I had always assumed he was. He must just have been having a bad day during that QL. (And I only watched about half of it. Perhaps he improved, later.)

Well, heck. I'll just ask: Is it hard to aim at things, in the console versions of Brink?

Nope, the game is pre-set to have auto aim turned on. You can hip fire pretty effectively with a good chunk of the guns from the right distance and land hits. I messed around with sniping as well and was successful if I got a good spot to start hitting people. :)

zlatko

Banned
Sethos said:
I have my opinion. The weapons in their respective category sound too much alike, handle too much alike and feel too much alike. As I said, feels like Homefront. Doesn't help when the game's overall gunplay is so piss-weak. So what if a gun fires in bursts, doesn't change the other facts.

Yes now you'll disagree, tell me how wrong I am and you provided proof which is nothing more than your opinion. "Proof".

If I had capture footage I would love to provide you with me just going through all the SMGs quick in game to prove my point. The best I can do is ask you do that the next time you load up the game. Try each one by one in a row by aiming down sights and by hip firing.

What's weak about this games gunplay?

I'll disagree until you can present me with something to back up your claims. To prove my point anyone can just load up the game and intentionally go mess around with the guns one by one. If anyone on Gaf has some capture footage and time feel free to upload videos to either prove they are sameish or different, and we can go from there.

:/ I'm not trying to be hostile towards you if that's what you think and if I came off that way I apologize.

Edit: @ Grayman

I thought you could start sprinting with SMART, then just hold your stick up and let go of the button to keep sprinting? I swear I did that when I was playing. Can anyone confirm?

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
""Worthless" was a strong word, more of an exaggeration than anything, but it's entirely true that it's impossible for me to have all the abilities I would want per class unless I make more than one character. It's a bad system."

Well yes, the point is that you don't have all the abilities at one time. The system is fine.
For you, maybe. I disagree. I think it's stupidly annoying, when you can just have multiple characters anyway, with all the skill setups you could ever want. The only thing you have to do is disconnect, change characters, and reconnect.

That is what they call broken game design.

Plus, unlocking shit by "leveling up" is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into multiplayer shooters.

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
If I had capture footage I would love to provide you with me just going through all the SMGs quick in game to prove my point. The best I can do is ask you do that the next time you load up the game. Try each one by one in a row by aiming down sights and by hip firing.

What's weak about this games gunplay?

I'll disagree until you can present me with something to back up your claims. To prove my point anyone can just load up the game and intentionally go mess around with the guns one by one. If anyone on Gaf has some capture footage and time feel free to upload videos to either prove they are sameish or different, and we can go from there.

:/ I'm not trying to be hostile towards you if that's what you think and if I came off that way I apologize.

This isn't about their immediate appearance, it's about the 'long term' effect. Yes, compared directly side-by-side, being all pedantic and analysing the weapons they will obviously come across with different characteristics. The differences in the weapons are just more subtle than many other first-person shooters on the market, so when you've played for a few hours, the differences quickly become a blur. As I mentioned a few times, Homefront did this. Sounds, handling and feeling of the weapons did differ but barely after an hour you could barely tell the difference.

Even when watching the Giant Bomb Quick-Look, I was genuinely surprised when I noticed they used a completely different weapon than I expected. They were changing weapons and I could hand-on-heart not tell the difference - Obviously more apparent when you play yourself but the 'blur' effect quickly comes into play because they quickly become indistinguishable.

Plus there has to be some merit to this point when several people mention it and even a respected(?) game site says it as well. Doesn't make it fact, just tells you there's something to it.

I didn't want to come across as a completely nuisance and hopefully you'll understand this point of view. Some people may enjoy the weapons very much but I feel it's a weak point to the game, sadly.

zlatko said:
I thought you could start sprinting with SMART, then just hold your stick up and let go of the button to keep sprinting? I swear I did that when I was playing. Can anyone confirm?
If you just tap smart while holding forward, you will sprint. I don't have any problems with the gunplay in this game. The guns all feel very different to me in the ways you have described. If they were all kinda samey, I would be using them all, but I have settled on my favorites. Carb-9 and machine pistol for me. Anyone who thinks the weapons feel the same, hasn't played the game and used all of the different weapons yet.
Sethos said:
This isn't about their immediate appearance, it's about the 'long term' effect. Yes, compared directly side-by-side, being all pedantic and analysing the weapons they will obviously come across with different characteristics. The differences in the weapons are just more subtle than many other first-person shooters on the market, so when you've played for a few hours, the differences quickly become a blur. As I mentioned a few times, Homefront did this. Sounds, handling and feeling of the weapons did differ but barely after an hour you could barely tell the difference.
It is the complete opposite in Brink. After a few hours of using all the different weapons, I can tell huge differences between all of them. Recoil, spread, rate of fire, magazine size, reload speed are all different. There is a weapon for everyone in Brink and I completely disagree that all the weapons feel or handle the same.

Teknopathetic said:
"Plus, unlocking shit by "leveling up" is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into multiplayer shooters."

I'll take it a step further and say that unlocking shit period is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into shooters.

But people can't have fun if they're not filling a bar, unlocking an achievement, and getting a new goody anymore.
Hell yeah it is. I hate not actually being able to play the game it is meant to be played, until I unlock a bunch of stuff. I want all my abilities and choices right off the bat, fuck this unlocking BS. But filling bars is the way to go, every game needs to have it nowadays. Even competitive multiplayer shooters....

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Twig said:
Plus, unlocking shit by "leveling up" is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into multiplayer shooters.

Surely you aren't going to hold this against Brink are you? It is getting trashed enough in reviewed because it doesn't have MORE to unlock! lol

"Plus, unlocking shit by "leveling up" is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into multiplayer shooters."

I'll take it a step further and say that unlocking shit period is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into shooters.

But people can't have fun if they're not filling a bar, unlocking an achievement, and getting a new goody anymore.

Sethos

Banned
Don't mind unlocking so much, as it's part of the MMO-effect to keep people hooked. What I do hate is having unlocks that provide high-level players with a big ass advantage, now that shit has got to go.

Anyone else have the blue screen issue? I've found this fix on another site...

http://segmentnext.com/2011/05/10/brink-errors-crashes-ati-fix-no-sound-fix-freezes-and-fps-fix/ said:
3# Brink – Blue Screen of Death Fix
Turn off motion blur in game options, this will fix this issue. Add these console graphics tweaks:

r_useHighQualityPostProcess 0
r_useMotionBlur 0

Now I must be missing something really obvious since the blue screen bug prevents me from seeing anything, which will prevent me from getting to the video options and thus preventing me from turning off motion blur. Anyone here solved it?

Raide

Kintaro said:
Surely you aren't going to hold this against Brink are you? It is getting trashed enough in reviewed because it doesn't have MORE to unlock! lol

The downside to weapon unlocks via MP (Aka CoD) is that you actually have to play to get the weapons and gear. This can be a pain if you want to unlock a certain weapon and have to trudge through matches using a crappy gun. (Trying to get a certain sight in CoD by using an unsighted rifle really sucked.)

I think Brink does well by linking all the weapon unlocks to the Challenge stuff. No MP stress to deal with, just do some challenges and unlock stuff you want. Seems backwards compared to most shooters but thats why it works for Brink.

I do hope they add more Cosmetic Character stuff later on.

Sethos said:
Don't mind unlocking so much, as it's part of the MMO-effect to keep people hooked. What I do hate is having unlocks that provide high-level players with a big ass advantage, now that shit has got to go.
I mind it because until I unlocked extra supplies and the ability to regenerate supplies faster, I felt like a completely neutered medic. I could barely heal or revive anyone, let alone myself, buff anyone, use my extra medic abilities or throw any grenades. Now that I have leveled, I don't have that much of a problem anymore.

Teknoman

Sethos said:
Sounds more like your in denial sir.

Have you heard any of the revolvers? And i'd still like to know whats so weak about the gunplay. I've heard a few people say this here and there, but never any real follow up in detail.

Teknopathetic said:

I'll take it one more step further and say that it's an easy way to give a game that doesn't challenge the player or have any other way to keep someone interested some legs.

For some reason people don't feel cheated when they spend 40 hours prestiging or unlocking everything only to realise they are now 'done' with the game and aren't having any fun.

Take unlocks/killstreaks/achievements out of these games and 90 percent of the community wouldn't give them the light of day after they sated their initial curiosity.

Thankfully the effect of unlocks and loot and rpg elements is FINALLY hitting strong diminishing returns as even the most slow witted among us are seeing the pattern after having done it so many times.

Disclaimer : this is speaking about unlocks and rpg shit in games in general, before I get the *insert game name* defence force bearing down on me.

Honestly, I wish games would be judged solely from a gameplay and design standpoint and how enjoyable it would be if the packrat/carrot stuff were to be taken out.

SneakyStephan said:
I'll take it one more step further and say that it's an easy way to give a game that doesn't challenge the player or have any other way to keep someone interested some legs.

For some reason people don't feel cheated when they spend 40 hours prestiging or unlocking everything only to realise they are now 'done' with the game and aren't having any fun.

Take unlocks/killstreaks/achievements out of these games and 90 percent of the community wouldn't give them the light of day after they sated their initial curiosity.

Thankfully the effect of unlocks and loot and rpg elements is FINALLY hitting strong diminishing returns as even the most slow witted among us are seeing the pattern after having done it so many times.

Disclaimer : this is speaking about unlocks and rpg shit in games in general, before I get the *insert game name* defence force bearing down on me.
I think on a certain level it rewards skill but also leaves a carrot at the end of the stick for player who say aren't that great.

Dina

thebrink.tv is pretty good. They point out good things that might need a patch, or a promod (Andrenaline taking way too long with a good coordinated team).

Teknoman

Sethos said:
Back to square one.

Well if there are some that sound similar, they all have a real punch to them, and dont sound weak in the least bit. No, I havent heard all the weapons, but the ones I have heard have differences in sound.

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
I think on a certain level it rewards skill but also leaves a carrot at the end of the stick for player who say aren't that great.

Maybe, but I believe the reward should be in performing the action itself.

Like how controlling a football or playing table tennis is a reward in itself or even learning how to ride a bike as a child.

Most games now just focus on making people learn patterns instead.

I'm sure you can think of plenty of games where the gameplay and controls are very rewarding.
I feel that this aspect has really suffered over the last few years.
It used to be a requirement for people to like your game and get sales, but now they have found the ideal replacement that can be made pumping a few man hours into any game.

Raide

HELLA_MONEYZ said:

Agreed. If games were like Doom and Quake where you had a limited arsenal of weapons, you did not need to offer an inventive to players by means of unlocks. Since so many modern games love to use number of weapons as a bullet-point, they have to give players a way to play with guns in order to play with new guns.

If you unlock everything from the start, so many of them might actually get ignored, then you might as well just go back to having 8 standard weapons.

I don't mind unlocks, just as long as I don't have to mindlessly grind my way through loads of shit just to get one thing I want. If I can focus on what I want, do something and get that item, thats fine with me.

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
Maybe I'm a masochist, but I can deal with lag if the core gameplay is solid.

Ask X-Frame. We both spent way too much time playing T:WFC last summer, and that game was laggy as shit.

Lmao.

I actually booted up WFC this past weekend to play some games and there wasn't any lag, I was very impressed. Only about 40 people in Conquest though but that's enough to find a game.

But THIS game is on a whole other level. I'd compare it to Week 1-2 of Gears of War 2. That made me put the game down FOREVER but I can't do that with Brink since I am having a lot of fun despite that -- which means when it gets fixed I'll love it.

Grayman

zlatko said:
Edit: @ Grayman

It does do this but I haven't worked out all the details yet, even circling around a big room turns off sprint when used that way. So I hold down sometimes which may cause an unwanted mantle if I am too close to something and slightly move the mouse to it.

I do like that sprint can be locked into and slides are as well(Q4 may have controlled a lot better with that) but I would be more comfortable without jump attached to shift.

PedroLumpy said:
Anyone else have the blue screen issue? I've found this fix on another site...

Now I must be missing something really obvious since the blue screen bug prevents me from seeing anything, which will prevent me from getting to the video options and thus preventing me from turning off motion blur. Anyone here solved it?
autoexec.cfg(just make an empty text file named this) in your userdata folder in steam. I think it is game 23350 or something like that. there is a config.cfg that you can copy/paste the commands from and change the value.

SneakyStephan said:
Maybe, but I believe the reward should be in performing the action itself.

Like how controlling a football or playing table tennis is a reward in itself or even learning how to ride a bike as a child.

Most games now just focus on making people learn patterns instead.

I'm sure you can think of plenty of games where the gameplay and controls are very rewarding.
I feel that this aspect has really suffered over the last few years.
It used to be a requirement for people to like your game and get sales, but now they have found the ideal replacement that can be made pumping a few man hours into any game.
But you have to earn a better bike or paddle. I think the phrase icing on the cake is best applied. Getting the extra guns and stuff is the icing on the cake. the guns and stuff are the trophies for doing well. Also I think that their are plenty of games with the presistent multiplayer that were truly bad games that didn't benefit from this Lost Planet 2 says hello. And some really good games that it didn't work for it Assassins Creed: Brotherhood says hello.

Unlocked the game, FPS problems on ATi 4850. Performance is slow so waiting on patch. Character creator not as impressive as I had hoped, given that it was so hyped. But most of the crap is unlocked. The characters are great though, Fifa Street + normal maps. I expected sliders and shit like in Fallout not just "pick your hat"

Art direction seems to be, let's put scratches on everything. Either way can't judge the game more without better FPS. Parkour seems to have improved big time since I last played in October. Probably could have done with a demo but with these performance issues I guess nobody would've bought it after that.

KaYotiX

Banned
Darkshier said:
I mind it because until I unlocked extra supplies and the ability to regenerate supplies faster, I felt like a completely neutered medic. I could barely heal or revive anyone, let alone myself, buff anyone, use my extra medic abilities or throw any grenades. Now that I have leveled, I don't have that much of a problem anymore.

Good thing in Brink though is you play ppl your same rank so they all have the same abilities. Unless you choose to play against higher ranked guys

Visualante said:
Unlocked the game, FPS problems on ATi 4850. Performance is slow so waiting on patch. Character creator not as impressive as I had hoped, given that it was so hyped. But most of the crap is unlocked. The characters are great though, Fifa Street + normal maps. I expected sliders and shit like in Fallout not just "pick your hat"

Art direction seems to be, let's put scratches on everything. Either way can't judge the game more without better FPS. Parkour seems to have improved big time since I last played in October. Probably could have done with a demo but with these performance issues I guess nobody would've bought it after that.
You can change your face and skintone and stuff like that.

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
You can change your face and skintone and stuff like that.
Yeah I saw that, the best part is the body types, I guess. But yeah I figured it would be so much more than it is. On the plus side it loads ruddy fast, which is nice.

zlatko

Banned
Visualante said:
Yeah I saw that, the best part is the body types, I guess. But yeah I figured it would be so much more than it is. On the plus side it loads ruddy fast, which is nice.

The more you level the more stuff there is, and almost everything has about 8-10 color variations? If I remember right before the game came out the developers said there is 102 quadrillion possible combinations when it comes to character customization things.

Once you level up enough you'll find things that hopefully jump out at you as cool and can equip. :)

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
But you have to earn a better bike or paddle. I think the phrase icing on the cake is best applied. Getting the extra guns and stuff is the icing on the cake. the guns and stuff are the trophies for doing well. Also I think that their are plenty of games with the presistent multiplayer that were truly bad games that didn't benefit from this Lost Planet 2 says hello. And some really good games that it didn't work for it Assassins Creed: Brotherhood says hello.

What? No you don't have to earn a bike or table tennis equipment to enjoy it for what it is.
What the hell kind of twisted reasoning is that?

It's the process of learning how to do it and getting better at it that is rewarding for these specific activities.

Your first successful ride with the training wheels off, your first successful wheelie that didn't end with a bloody knee/elbows, using your weight shifting to control the bike etc.
Learning how to apply spin to the ball , seeing how the ball reacts to whatever forces you apply to it, making your opponent run around, seeing how they adapt and cope with how you play.

THAT is the true magic that translates well to *good* well made video games.

Driving 50 miles uphill to earn a bike with a new sticker on it or an extra gear is not my idea of fun.
It's what people call menial labor, it's the parts people pay other people for so they don't have to do it.

A good mechanic for a sports team gets a kick out of finding out what the problem with a car is, how to set up the car for the driver's needs.
He pays his subordinates to do the menial shit like oil changes , waxing it, replacing parts and cleaning the garage.
Their reward is they unlock *paycheck* at the end of the month.
The paycheck is only a reward because it allows them to do the stuff they 'd rather be doing instead.

The beauty of a challenging/deep/learning experience activity is that you aren't able to perform at it fully , you get better at it and learn new ways to use the tools given.

Not getting the tools until you do some menial tasks on the other hand is just plain stupid.
Go play table tennis for 10 hours to unlock a net and the rubber coating on your paddle, never gain the ability to hold your paddle at any other angle than 90 degrees towards the path of the ball...
s t u p i d , but that's how these unlock games function.

How many more explenations and supporting analogies do I have to throw at you before you will recognise the point I'm making.

I'm going to give this discussion a rest now as it's veering way off topic.
Hell it's veering off topic for the original point too as every part of the original logic gets misinterpreted or ripped out of context and has to be subsequently explained.

//B1G

Banned
So I used that BrinkConfig 1.2 and now I've got no characters. As soon as I load up the game I'm asked to select defend/attack. I removed the autoexec, but they're still gone. What's the deal?

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
What, I don't have to earn anything, I just buy whatever I want. If someone needs extra guns and unlocks for doing well, they need to get their head examined. I want to be able to play the game to its fullest extent right away. The fact that I have to do so much arbitrary BS in Brink such as challenges for weapon attachments or leveling up to access other body types, is insanely ridiculous. The icing on the cake for me is winning a match, not unlocking a new pair of shorts. Sure I like to be able to choose those shorts and pimp my character out, but that is not my incentive for playing, the incentive is the gameplay itself.

KaYotiX said:
Good thing in Brink though is you play ppl your same rank so they all have the same abilities. Unless you choose to play against higher ranked guys
That doesn't change the fact that people still take damage and still get killed. As a lower level medic you simply do not have enough supplies to be that effective. Even a low level medic can buff health, heal and revive. There aren't near enough supplies to do so with. Let alone when you start unlocking more abilities. I don't even know who would use the give supplies abilities, that is just ridiculous.

Not being able to revive someone because my X button locked onto the wrong person and healed someone instead of tossing a revive needle to the dude next to him is also an issue. Really wish I could tap to heal/revive and not hold the button.

I'm glad I'm not the only cranky old man standing on the shore shaking his boney fist at the tide. I really dislike the current trend of constant validation or having to grind for gear as if I'm playing an MMO in modern multiplayer shooters.

legbone

picked this up for ps3 at launch. i am having a lot of fun with it and i love the customization options. how many games let you give your character a glasgow smile? anyway, can't wait until psn is back up. this may be the game that replaces mag as my go to multiplayer title. hope they fix the lag quickly (i believe the psn version will be a lagfest like the xbox version is reported to be, but i would love to be wrong about this). if they take care of the lag i can see this being quite popular. just hope the psn outage didn't kill the playstation player base before it even had a chance.

Top Bottom