• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

zlatko

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I'm glad I'm not the only cranky old man standing on the shore shaking his boney fist at the tide. I really dislike the current trend of constant validation or having to grind for gear as if I'm playing an MMO in modern multiplayer shooters.

I'm half and a half on this with the current trend in shooters. I have more spare time than others, so the things get unlocked fairly quickly for me. At the same time though I would like to see more games just stick to the things being unlocked being cosmetic things, and leave all the gameplay items(guns, abilities, etc) be available from the get go in the name of fairness and balance.

I understand why someone with less time to play would be pissed off at this model---I just want to play the game, stop making me jump through hoops to get the full experience! I assume this is the complaint anyway. :p

It's the Call of Duty effect on shooters. :(

Raide

jaundicejuice said:
I'm glad I'm not the only cranky old man standing on the shore shaking his boney fist at the tide. I really dislike the current trend of constant validation or having to grind for gear as if I'm playing an MMO in modern multiplayer shooters.

I am a big loot-whore :(

The chance to get different and shiny objects it just too much for me. Sure, I have to enjoy the game to actually bother putting the time into it and the game actually having things I want but I just love loot.

In games like BC 1&2, I loved starting out as a poor medic and unlocking all the shit I needed to be an awesome medic. Since I love Support Class, I am ok with grinding to get what I need to help me do my job. Just as long as it not WoW style grinding for months and months. :D

Ourobolus

Banned
Do I have to do all of the missions in order to get the Tough As Nails acheivement? I'm pretty sure I've played every campaign map (on Steam) online on Normal at this point, but I don't have it yet...

Firebrand

Finally! Just received my key from D2D.

EDIT: Though it looks like the same one I had... let's hope it's working now.
EDIT: "HAS ALREADY BEEN ACTIVATED". Are you kidding me?

Firebrand

Melhisedek said:
Are D2D.uk keys still region locked? I mean, can I order them and install them from Sweden?

You have to get an EU key, which now costs a lot more than the UK one. Same product, same site, different prices.

Man the gameplay here is a ton of fun, but theres a few issues keeping it from being awesome in my opinion.

I get the ATI 4800 series grid issue, which is incredibly annoying.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWIWZmpfA4

General framerate issues. Doesn't matter what I have the settings at, generally runs like crap. I dont have the best computer, but this runs as well if not worse than crysis 2 on the highest settings, which shouldnt happen when it looks like this

Firebrand said:

Haha, it's the same for me, christ.

I'm making an angry ticket this time.

Ahahaha, and they have the fucking gall to spam me with this shit:
Direct2Drive Customers!

We are very pleased to announce that you can now access your Direct2Drive UK/EU account page to receive your NEW key for your Brink Preorder and preload so you’re ready at game launch!
Worst service I've ever used, in any category ever. What a bunch of knobs.

KaYotiX

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Do I have to do all of the missions in order to get the Tough As Nails acheivement? I'm pretty sure I've played every campaign map (on Steam) online on Normal at this point, but I don't have it yet...

i just completed them all in online VS and i got it.

Teknoman

CriginsMcJuggs said:
Man the gameplay here is a ton of fun, but theres a few issues keeping it from being awesome in my opinion.

I get the ATI 4800 series grid issue, which is incredibly annoying.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWIWZmpfA4

General framerate issues. Doesn't matter what I have the settings at, generally runs like crap. I dont have the best computer, but this runs as well if not worse than crysis 2 on the highest settings, which shouldnt happen when it looks like this

Same here and still holding out hope for a performance patch and grid fix before week's end.

zlatko

Banned
Firebrand said:

:( Really sucks for you. I would've gone ape shit in your shoes and called them up to yell at someone on the phone.

I don't think D2D is winning over a lot of people with all these issues. I definitely know to stay away from them in the future thanks to you and the rest of Gaf here with Brink.

Nice, got my key, time to...

brink_hates_me.jpg

FUCK.

Firebrand

zlatko said:
:( Really sucks for you. I would've gone ape shit in your shoes and called them up to yell at someone on the phone.
Haha, perhaps I should, but it's getting real late here so I wasn't going to be playing much until tomorrow night anyway. Hopefully it'll be sorted by then. It's just slightly hilarious how hard it has been for me to acquire this game from them, maybe "Direct2Drive" isn't the best name. They've been very quick at replying to support tickets though, I'll give them that.

Firebrand

Oh wow, I filed a ticket about this duplicate key thing and got this for reply:
"I sincerely apologize for this late response to your request. We are also very pleased to announce that you can now access your Direct2Drive UK/EU account page to receive your NEW key for your Brink Pre-order and download!"
...she didn't even read my ticket.
Hakkuei said:
For people with "DUPLICATED KEY" error and such :

Install Comrade, log in and the new key should be there.

Thanks, I'll try this. EDIT: That worked, thanks Hakkuei.

Firebrand said:
Haha, perhaps I should, but it's getting real late here so I wasn't going to be playing much until tomorrow night anyway. Hopefully it'll be sorted by then. It's just slightly hilarious how hard it has been for me to acquire this game from them, maybe "Direct2Drive" isn't the best name. They've been very quick at replying to support tickets though, I'll give them that.
I haven't heard a word, and I've been really angry and long-winded in all of them, both to Beth and D2D.

And now they're having me install a bunch of gamespy crap on top of that, talk about screwing your customers.

*But it works, so hey.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
derFeef said:
my only problem is the framerate, which is really smooth offline, but online it gets unplayable in heavy fire situation and I died plenty of times because of that. Having a 6970 and 4ghz quad core... ridiculous.

I think I'll wait for a patch or two...

How much would you guys say is the consensus as to what the game is worth in dollars in its current form? Don't think I can pay full price for a product so poorly optimized :(

mxgt

Banned
Fuuuuuuuck I won't be able to play this until next week now as I had to RMA my PSU today.

Why do you hate me hardware gods :(

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'll take it a step further and say that unlocking shit period is the stupidest fucking thing to ever find its way into shooters.

But people can't have fun if they're not filling a bar, unlocking an achievement, and getting a new goody anymore.
Agreed!

I mean, I have no problem with unlocking purely cosmetic stuff. But anything that affects gameplay should be available from the start for everyone. Hrrngh.

zlatko said:
I'm half and a half on this with the current trend in shooters. I have more spare time than others, so the things get unlocked fairly quickly for me. At the same time though I would like to see more games just stick to the things being unlocked being cosmetic things, and leave all the gameplay items(guns, abilities, etc) be available from the get go in the name of fairness and balance.

I understand why someone with less time to play would be pissed off at this model---I just want to play the game, stop making me jump through hoops to get the full experience! I assume this is the complaint anyway. :p

It's the Call of Duty effect on shooters. :(
I'm actually more irritated that it means some players are more powerful because they've unlocked more stuff. It's not a HUGE issue, as nothing I've unlocked so far would actually help me kill someone who's better than me, but it's still an issue.

Brink sort of solves this problem with its ranking system, but... eh.

Grayman said:
autoexec.cfg(just make an empty text file named this) in your userdata folder in steam. I think it is game 23350 or something like that. there is a config.cfg that you can copy/paste the commands from and change the value.

Thanks, I actually found a program called BrinkConfig that does that more or less through a pretty interface. Didn't actually solve my problem, but such is life. Would be nice to be able to play the game though....

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Excellent times on the GAF server were had. My new favorite things are the medic class, sliding around, and the Lobster grenade launcher. Let me just say to everyone playing with bots that this game gets about 10x better online, and the NeoGAF server at least is stable.

Prodigal

Banned
Why is sprinting so janky? I changed the sprint fov in the cfg and it seems like it only works in single player. When I join an MP server and sprint it gets all wacky again...

Teknoman said:
Turn off AO, and then wait for a performance patch.
tried it, tried disabling shadows in console, tried lowest setting, tried rolling back drivers

:(

cant believe this game was released like this. did none of their testers use ati?

fuzzyreactor said:
tried it, tried disabling shadows in console, tried lowest setting, tried rolling back drivers

:(

cant believe this game was released like this. did none of their testers use ati?

Nvidia : the way it's meant to be played tested.

Sanic

I fixed the 5v5 issue, for anyone that was having trouble joining.

I think the server is basically stable and i'm done messing with any settings, outside of switching over to StopWatch at some point, if you guys are interested. I really would prefer it, but some of these matches can take forever, and I don't know how many people would be up for doing them twice.

jaundicejuice said:
Would you like a cookie?

Blackface said:
For a game that people don't seem to like, this thread is sure as fuck active.

Fuck it, I am grabbing the PC game tomorrow.
there are a lot of people that like it. just the game has a lot of performance issues. Tons of servers on pc. Beware if u have a ati card though, big chance the game might not run right

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blackface said:

For a game that CRITICS don't seem to like, the reception from actual gamers is very positive. They just need to patch up the netcode and there's an excellent game here.

Sanic

Blackface said:

It's deep and engaging, and fairly smooth on PC.

I'm thinking (and hoping) a decent community will build around the game and stick with it.

Prodigal

Banned
I don't understand why my fps is so low in SP but the movement actually feels natural, whereas my framerate in MP is so much better but with janky controls.

zlatko

Banned
Papercuts said:
For a game that CRITICS don't seem to like, the reception from actual gamers is very positive. They just need to patch up the netcode and there's an excellent game here.

I don't blame reviewers for too many of the scores given out. Giving this game 9/10s or something when the online is clearly in a shit state is just something you can't do.

Look back at Gears of War 2 and how reviewers gave it super good scores, but then players got their hands on it and realized the online was ass which lead to a big ruckus wondering how reviewers could give it such high marks and praise the online when it was so poorly done at launch.

I'd much rather someone give me full disclosure of what the game is like now in its current state if I'm going to spend $60.00 on it. The core game play is a lot of fun like many of us have come to see, but until the online is patched up it's a bit hard to whole heartedly recommend.

KaYotiX

Banned
also beware when you get a team of "CoD idiots" who dont use teamwork and just sit back and try to snipe.....makes me wanna punch them through the internet

X-Frame

zlatko said:
I don't blame reviewers for too many of the scores given out. Giving this game 9/10s or something when the online is clearly in a shit state is just something you can't do.

Look back at Gears of War 2 and how reviewers gave it super good scores, but then players got their hands on it and realized the online was ass which lead to a big ruckus wondering how reviewers could give it such high marks and praise the online when it was so poorly done at launch.

I'd much rather someone give me full disclosure of what the game is like now in its current state if I'm going to spend $60.00 on it. The core game play is a lot of fun like many of us have come to see, but until the online is patched up it's a bit hard to whole heartedly recommend.

Which is very unfortunate because I find no difference in Brink's online performance compared to GeOW2's back when it launched -- and I dropped that game after a couple weeks because I couldn't take it.

If Brink stays like this where 50% of the time it's a slideshow I don't think I could take it either.

zlatko

Banned
KaYotiX said:
also beware when you get a team of "CoD idiots" who dont use teamwork and just sit back and try to snipe.....makes me wanna punch them through the internet

I don't even understand why anyone would do this in this game. There's nothing to be gained and there's no leaderboards with k/ds to try to start an epeen contest over.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zlatko said:

I don't necessarily disagree with it, but it seems weird to single Brink out for it. Fallout: New Vegas had a borderline unplayable launch but didn't take much of a critical hit for it. Like you mentioned, Gears 2 got away with it unscathed...pretty much any "big" game can get a good review on name alone even if the launch is a clusterfuck.

X-Frame said:
Which is very unfortunate because I find no difference in Brink's online performance compared to GeOW2's back when it launched -- and I dropped that game after a couple weeks because I couldn't take it.

If Brink stays like this where 50% of the time it's a slideshow I don't think I could take it either.

Gears 2 must've been patched atleast 7-8 times for the MP performance.

zlatko said:
Look back at Gears of War 2 and how reviewers gave it super good scores, but then players got their hands on it and realized the online was ass which lead to a big ruckus wondering how reviewers could give it such high marks and praise the online when it was so poorly done

Gears 2 had a great SP campaign and a very good Horde mode to make up for any of it's failings that were probably mitigated by Epic doing very careful MP online matches with select players in a more controlled environment.

"I don't necessarily disagree with it, but it seems weird to single Brink out for it. Fallout: New Vegas had a borderline unplayable launch but didn't take much of a critical hit for it. Like you mentioned, Gears 2 got away with it unscathed...pretty much any "big" game can get a good review on name alone even if the launch is a clusterfuck."

This just in: Game reviewers are worthless.

zlatko

Banned
Papercuts said:
I don't necessarily disagree with it, but it seems weird to single Brink out for it. Fallout: New Vegas had a borderline unplayable launch but didn't take much of a critical hit for it. Like you mentioned, Gears 2 got away with it unscathed...pretty much any "big" game can get a good review on name alone even if the launch is a clusterfuck.

Gears 2 must've been patched atleast 7-8 times for the MP performance.

To be fair New Vegas is a single player only game, and the reviews for New Vegas were lower than F3's if memory serves correct. Around the net at its launch it was getting notice for being a buggy mess and reviewers touched on it, but I would wager most people didn't get a game breaking glitch during their playtime for a review of New Vegas. Take into account most reviewers of something like NV probably play for 20 hours tops, and the odds of them running into a game breaking glitch are much lower than a RPG fan who dives 60+ hours deep into the game.

Plus, with Brink if the online doesn't work... there isn't much here to keep coming back to in the offline.

XeroSauce

zlatko said:

Look at every big game's online component at launch.

Black Ops was full retard.
MW2 was horrible and P2P broke on the second day.
BC2 Has HORRIBLE EA server connection problems.
Ubisoft's DRM problems
Bioshock 2 and others with their ghastly GFWL and broken Steam support
Medal of Honour...that game was bad, never mind.
Hell, even Portal 2 had messy online for a day or two at launch. Fallout: NV was horrid, Gears was terrible..

It sucks that Brink is the game that reviewers decide to bash on for netcode when things like Black Ops gets 90's everywhere. And I like both games, and review scores are not the end of the scores, but they do directly influence sales. And that hurts Brink's community in the long run for those of us with some patience.

KaYotiX

Banned
zlatko said:
I don't even understand why anyone would do this in this game. There's nothing to be gained and there's no leaderboards with k/ds to try to start an epeen contest over.

i dont either but i had 2 games lastnight where the other team was escorting the hostage and 5 guys on my team just sat back and sniped at them. Was just me and my friend who tried to rush the hostage and keep him down but it was a losing effort. Was soooo annoying.

zlatko

Banned
XeroSauce said:
Look at every big game's online component at launch.

Black Ops was full retard.
MW2 was horrible and P2P broke on the second day.
BC2 Has HORRIBLE EA server connection problems.
Ubisoft's DRM problems
Bioshock 2 and others with their ghastly GFWL and broken Steam support
Medal of Honour...that game was bad, never mind.
Hell, even Portal 2 had messy online for a day or two at launch. Fallout: NV was horrid, Gears was terrible..

It sucks that Brink is the game that reviewers decide to bash on for netcode when things like Black Ops gets 90's everywhere. And I like both games, and review scores are not the end of the scores, but they do directly influence sales. And that hurts Brink's community in the long run for those of us with some patience.

It does suck Brink seems to be getting more flack than it deserves, but most of the games you mention within the first week I was able to consistently find working games. Black Ops and MW2 had matchmaking issues and hit detection problems from what I remember with them, but right now with Brink on Xbox 360 it seems people are finding more unplayable versus games than playable ones.

Myself I was lucky at first getting smooth experiences, but last night and today have been down right terrible with only 2-3 games having been playable without issues out of a total of 15ish tries to find a working game.

In its current state I think this game is a 7/10, and that number will rise when the technical issues are sorted out.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
zlatko said:
In its current state I think this game is a 7/10, and that number will rise when the technical issues are sorted out.

Agreed. The same thing happened with ET:QW which started all buggy and shabby and came out the other end nicely shiny.
I'm looking forward to when Brink's all fixed up and sparkly and when I upgrade my computer enough to make it run not poopy. It's a lot of fun in the mean time, but the problems do knock it down to only above average, not amazing.

Ken

zlatko said:
It does suck Brink seems to be getting more flack than it deserves, but most of the games you mention within the first week I was able to consistently find working games. Black Ops and MW2 had matchmaking issues and hit detection problems from what I remember with them, but right now with Brink on Xbox 360 it seems people are finding more unplayable versus games than playable ones.

Myself I was lucky at first getting smooth experiences, but last night and today have been down right terrible with only 2-3 games having been playable without issues out of a total of 15ish tries to find a working game.

I had the same experiences with some of those listed games. Good online day 1 unlike Brink. Spent about 15 minutes today joining and quitting games until I found one not in slideshow mode.

Hope they iron out these issues soon so when I want to play Brink, I don't have to hope for a non-laggy game after the already lengthy load time.

kamspy

Man sorry to hear about the troubles in Euroland. :|

I got to play a little bit of it tonight. The frame rate problems are stupid, and I was on 470 GTX, which eats every other game my brother throws at it. On the bright side, it seems like there might be some fun to be had. Honestly I'm so turned off by MP shooters that don't run at 60fps that I didn't take time to give it a proper critique. Spent most of my time testing configs to no avail. Might as well roll maxed out in my experience. The benefits of lowering the setting are incredibly diminishing. The framerate is fucked. We have to wait for a fairly straightforward patch that has to do with the dedicated server code. There's a config, and it's a fucking hassle to do every time you start a game, but it does brings FPS up well over 60. It's on the Steam forum if anyone is interested. I'm happy I held off on this one.

Top Bottom