• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pandoracell said:
I've found the melee to be wildly innacurate. I usually end up spamming the melee button and the enemy oftentimes isn't killed until the third strike. I'm not sure if it's a matter of wonky hit detection or if I have to be extremely close, or in a certain spot. I haven't been paying enough attention when using it.

It's super wonky, it needs to do an animation of butting them with the gun, I usually need to try it more than once too.

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Yup, that's why I pack the huge-ass revolver and execute with 2-3 shots IIRC. Also stomp on downed people whenever you can to save ammo.

*goes to stomp on dead guy gets Cortexed bombed*
* goes to stomp on guy gets shot by turret*
* goes to stomp on guy his buddy throws him a syringe*
* goes to stomp on guy 9000 guys are there to shit on me*

There's no way I'd want to carry around a Revolver either as the kick on those are massive, and since most people seem to hate being soldiers I need my back up gun to have a lot of ammo so I can stay alive long enough to make it back to command posts to replenish health.

It's a minor complaint, but I feel if I can shoot someone 3 times in the head with my SMG...he should be fucking perma dead. :/

Seventy5

I got this at launch on PS3 and I'm loving it. Its got a few pimples, but it feels pretty fresh and doesnt follow the CoD formula. I'm obviously only playing against bots but I'm still having a blast. I think I will be splitting time between this and Socom 4 whenever PSN comes back up.

Pandoracell said:
I've found the melee to be wildly innacurate. I usually end up spamming the melee button and the enemy oftentimes isn't killed until the third strike. I'm not sure if it's a matter of wonky hit detection or if I have to be extremely close, or in a certain spot. I haven't been paying enough attention when using it.
Something funny about the melee strikes to me, is that with a weapon in hand, you damage a turret more with a melee strike, than if you were knifing it. I don't know why that is, but it's hilarious to me. That's really the only time I use melee is to flank a turret and beat it down, but not when I just have my pistol/machine pistol in hand.

Speaking of weapons, I have been rolling with the Carb-9 SMG and the Machine Pistol. Muzzle brake, COGA scope, duct taped mags and a front grip for the Carb. And just a speed holster and red dot sight for the machine pistol.

Duct taped magazine pro tip: When you spawn, fire a round and reload. You will go the slow reload and your next one will be the fast reload. With duct taped mags, every other reload is super fast, so get that reload ready by doing the slow one when you aren't in combat.

Firebrand

So 5 hours from unlocking and D2D still hasn't provided me with a (working) key, sadness. I guess I'll have try downloading the ZIP file with game data in the meantime.

desu

walbertsmith said:
I am trying DAMNED hard to stick to the Light body type. I find myself running from several engagements though just to stay alive. On stages like Container City though, it's immensely satisfying to run at near-death then flanking around to take out my attacker.

On the Aquarium map though, where in certain areas there are no vertical planes to escape from and there are long corridors, playing the Light gives me a sadface. :(

Yeah thats the reason we need body type changes at least before starting the map or something like that.

Darkshier said:
Duct taped magazine pro tip: When you spawn, fire a round and reload. You will go the slow reload and your next one will be the fast reload. With duct taped mags, every other reload is super fast, so get that reload ready by doing the slow one when you aren't in combat.
I checked this and you're right, but I wonder if that's an error. The fast reload should come from being able to flip the magazines, while the slow comes from just replacing it with 2 new, full mags. This implies that at round start your character only loads one magazine and puts it into the gun. This kinda defeats the purpose of having an extra mag attached. I just assumed it would start with both magazines full and the fast reloads would fall on 1, 3, 5 and so on.

luffeN

desu said:
According to D2Ds twitter the brink key issue is resolved.
After reading their messages we will probably get the keys sometime tomorrow. Seems that they found a solution to the problem but just started to actually make it happen. (My speculation).

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
You can still buff damage, disarm mines, complete engineer objectives as an engineer even with no points in it. Same situation with the rest of the classes. Far from worthless. The smart thing to do is to pick up the key abilities in every class (kevlar for soldiers, etc. etc.) and then blow the rest of your load in universal abilities and your preferred class. I mean let's face it, you really don't need every ability soldiers have, they're really not all that useful.
I'm well aware what you can and can't do with or without certain abilities, and that you can still complete objectives as a class without any points, but that doesn't mean I have to like their design choices. And so I don't.

"Worthless" was a strong word, more of an exaggeration than anything, but it's entirely true that it's impossible for me to have all the abilities I would want per class unless I make more than one character. It's a bad system.

Also, I happen to like the soldier abilities I have chosen so far, regardless of whether or not they're "not all that useful". U:
Yeah, that's great, but the problem with that, and what I think Twig was saying, is that this game is so dependent on having the proper classes, and when you start up a round and see your team has 4 Soldiers and 4 Medics, people need to start swapping out, and most the time it's not fun swapping out from all your abilities you purchased while leveling up.
Yes, that's exactly it.

The bigger problem: they don't even let you swap classes during the warmup. They make you spawn in and run to a command center to do it - and of course you have no idea who else, if anybody, is running to the command center to do the same thing.
And yes, I agree that is actually a bigger problem, heh.

RS4-

Pandoracell said:

You have to really stop then melee; you can't just run by and do it.

Lame, I know.

derFeef

That game is awesome. Played on the US Gaf server a few rounds (was anyone there?) 150ping is too much, but it was still playable. Now my only problem is the framerate, which is really smooth offline, but online it gets unplayable in heavy fire situation and I died plenty of times because of that. Having a 6970 and 4ghz quad core... ridiculous.

Captain Fish said:
I checked this and you're right, but I wonder if that's an error. The fast reload should come from being able to flip the magazines, while the slow comes from just replacing it with 2 new, full mags. This implies that at round start your character only loads one magazine and puts it into the gun. This kinda defeats the purpose of having an extra mag attached. I just assumed it would start with both magazines full and the fast reloads would fall on 1, 3, 5 and so on.

I'd say it's a bug. The way you described it is indeed how it should work (and how it works in Blops).

walbertsmith said:
Also, Denkirson is starting to chart Brink:

http://denkirson.xanga.com/738334226/brink/

I love this guy's work for CoD - this is going to be very useful.

Fake edit: it is already!

DenKirson said:
The first additional Health Pip adds +30 health to all Body Types.
The following Health Pips add +25, +20, +15 and +10.

Spookie

Brinktin.jpg

So god damn cool. No rating label, no shitty sleeve, it's just the logo and a bit of art. \o/

cabottemp

Banned
So has splash damage confirmed they are working on a patch to fix the god awful netcode?

I don't even care about lobbies at this point, I just want to be able to play without lag.

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I can deal with lag if the core gameplay is solid.

Ask X-Frame. We both spent way too much time playing T:WFC last summer, and that game was laggy as shit.

Spookie said:
Brinktin.jpg

So god damn cool. No rating label, no shitty sleeve, it's just the logo and a bit of art. \o/

Mine is on the way. From Europe to the western edge of Canada. Damn right.

BTW, does anybody feel as though the weapons aren't really different enough from each other?

Started playing light body type today, I love it. Main weap is the SMG that looks like an M4, red dot/drum mag/grip(i think) are the attachments. Secondary is the revolver with a red dot, it is a monster.

I don't miss the assault rifles at all, I always seemed to lose to SMGs anyways.

Tried heavy for 1 round the other day, didn't enjoy that at all.

KaYotiX

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Maybe I'm a masochist, but I can deal with lag if the core gameplay is solid.

Ask X-Frame. We both spent way too much time playing T:WFC last summer, and that game was laggy as shit.

The lag is terrible, the lag free games are few and far between. When it works its awesome, its just that it doesnt work alot of the time.

The Antitype said:
Mine is on the way. From Europe to the western edge of Canada. Damn right.

BTW, does anybody feel as though the weapons aren't really different enough from each other?
yes all the SMG's feel the same. all the handguns feel the same. MG's feel the same. The attachments kind of change the way they play but all in all I just pick which ever gun looks the coolest in it's class.

zlatko

Banned
The Antitype said:
I've only had a few hours with my rented copy, but I kind of do agree with the sentiment. :(

Machine pistols, handguns, and revolvers are all in the handgun department and all 3 of what I just mentioned work differently.

Different SMGs have different sized clips, bullet counts, and when hip fired different ones have a bigger bloom effect than the others causing you to spray.

Assault rifles vary in other ways too, like the famas gun is a triple burst, there's a semi automatic one shot assault rifle, others have various spreads, etc.

You guys are fucking high if you think all the guns of each type are the same. :/

derFeef

I agree with zlatko. I just had a brief amout of time with the game, but I have switched constantly to get a feel of the weapons and they feel different.

Another question - I see you guys playing on the GAF server, but when I check the player list, I cant seem to find the names. How do you set a different name for the game?

""Worthless" was a strong word, more of an exaggeration than anything, but it's entirely true that it's impossible for me to have all the abilities I would want per class unless I make more than one character. It's a bad system."

Well yes, the point is that you don't have all the abilities at one time. The system is fine.

Sethos

Banned
The Antitype said:
I've only had a few hours with my rented copy, but I kind of do agree with the sentiment. :(

Giant Bomb QL also seemed to agree. Weapons all felt very same-same, lacked punch etc.

Sanic

zlatko said:
You guys are fucking high if you think all the guns of each type are the same. :/

I can sorta see where they're coming from. All of the guns have different stats, but they all in a tactile sense feel a bit similar. It's honestly hard for me to quantify it. When I switch between different guns on CoD, for example, it just feels really different in look, statd, animation, etc.

It's the little things and attention to detail, maybe.

Dang the GAF server is full up, excepting 2 slots which I'm assuming are reserved. Not sure if they're gaffers though, since none of them are in the group...

Sanic

Captain Fish said:
Dang the GAF server is full up, excepting 2 slots which I'm assuming are reserved. Not sure if they're gaffers though, since none of them are in the group...

There aren't any reserved slots, you should be able to join if it's not 16/16.

zlatko said:
Machine pistols, handguns, and revolvers are all in the handgun department and all 3 of what I just mentioned work differently.

Different SMGs have different sized clips, bullet counts, and when hip fired different ones have a bigger bloom effect than the others causing you to spray.

Assault rifles vary in other ways too, like the famas gun is a triple burst, there's a semi automatic one shot assault rifle, others have various spreads, etc.

Aren't you the same guy who has been saying he has not been experiencing lag in your games and when it's there it's not that bad? I don't even notice a major difference between hip firing a SMG and iron sights the spread is pretty condenced.

zlatko

Banned
Sethos said:
Giant Bomb QL also seemed to agree. Weapons all felt very same-same, lacked punch etc.

Turn up sound, have vibration on, and try the different weapons = impossible to think the weapons feel same/same or lack punch.

Shooting the revolver or shotgun in this game feels like my characters arm is being ripped off with the bullet and fired into the enemy. Slap on some rapid fire attachments on the revolver to get a feel for some major kick back on the guns.

Are people just making up shit about this game now because they don't want to give it a damn chance? I can understand the legit complaints like lag, pop in, AI bots, etc... but the next thing people are going to start saying is there isn't enough customization in the game or sliding is worthless.

I love Jeff and usually share his sentiments about games, but I don't get what his hate is with this game and saying something like that about the weapons which is a flat out fucking lie. :/

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
Turn up sound, have vibration on, and try the different weapons = impossible to think the weapons feel same/same or lack punch.

Shooting the revolver or shotgun in this game feels like my characters arm is being ripped off with the bullet and fired into the enemy. Slap on some rapid fire attachments on the revolver to get a feel for some major kick back on the guns.

Are people just making up shit about this game now because they don't want to give it a damn chance? I can understand the legit complaints like lag, pop in, AI bots, etc... but the next thing people are going to start saying is there isn't enough customization in the game or sliding is worthless.

I love Jeff and usually share his sentiments about games, but I don't get what his hate is with this game and saying something like that about the weapons which is a flat out fucking lie. :/

Sounds more like your in denial sir.

Pandoracell said:
There aren't any reserved slots, you should be able to join if it's not 16/16.

Weird. I keep getting connection timed out even though it shows up as 14/16. I'll just play later once it's Brink time.

Are we gonna use mumble this time?

Zimbardo

i'd love to see a patch TODAY ...but i'm not betting on that.

there's so many little things wrong with this game, its gonna take a few patches to get things at an acceptable level.

i'm guessing about a month's time there'll be some noticable improvements.

the whole situation is ridiculous, imo.

zlatko

Banned
HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Aren't you the same guy who has been saying he has not been experiencing little lag in your games and when it's there it's not that bad?

"Game is a lot of fun, but last night and most of today each game has been too laggy to play."

Quote of me from last page. Up until then I was experiencing little lag. Why the fuck would I make that up? Like I was saying I've been lucky, up until late last night and earlier today. Today I tried 8 different games in a row and then just gave up to hop on my PC to start playing some SC2.

@Sethos

Go into game, fire off a revolver, then go fire off a machine pistol. Come back here and tell me they feel the same, and then we can just agree to disagree.

I could understand if you think the SMG's feel the sameish since they all seem to equally fire out bullets at the same rate, but there is definitely clear distinctions between them, because the one I use has been netting me more kills and results then the others with the same attachments.

:/

derFeef

Sethos said:
Sounds more like your in denial sir.
The shotgun blows your ear off, the revolver has a HUGE kickback, some MG's are music to ears and eyes. I have no idea how anyone can say the guns feel weak and sound awful.

Sethos

Banned
zlatko said:
@Sethos

Go into game, fire off a revolver, then go fire off a machine pistol. Come back here and tell me they feel the same, and then we can just agree to disagree.:/

Obviously two completely different classed weapons won't feel the same, don't be stupid. It's the same-classed weapons, rifles / SMGs / etc. they all feel very much the same, where I can agree. Homefront suffered a bit from the same.

Top Bottom