• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

So to clarify for myself, when you guys are talking about dual spec'ing, you don't actually get access to both sets of abilities while in game, correct? You'd have to use a command center to swap out classes....

Don't command centers refill your ammo anyways?

Yeah they do refill your ammo. And AFAIK you cannot access class abilities unless you are that class, so I guess they're just talking about putting abilities into two classes and maxing out those classes by level 20 instead of spreading around points across all classes or focusing on just one.

What really sucks is that you can't change your character mid game, so you can't really afford to specialize in one class per character.

Benson

Not unlocked on steam for me in the UK. I'm sat here patiently drumming my fingers on my game case waiting to install it.

Hooray! It seems that pestering Amazon worked - I finally got an e-mail with my Psycho Pack code in it.

If you're interested in trading a 360 Fallout or Doom DLC code for my Psycho code, shoot me a PM.

If I don't have any offers by the time I put the game in on Saturday, I'll just go ahead and use it (better than nothing I suppose).

BeeDog said:
Any technical face-off between the 360 and PS3 versions yet? Always love to read them.
I saw them both last night the difference is not a deal breaker. it's like comparing Crysis 2 360 to PS3 . it's a matter of who you have more friends that play on what system.

Shoogoo

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah they do refill your ammo. And AFAIK you cannot access class abilities unless you are that class, so I guess they're just talking about putting abilities into two classes and maxing out those classes by level 20 instead of spreading around points across all classes or focusing on just one.

What really sucks is that you can't change your character mid game, so you can't really afford to specialize in one class per character.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't understand this.

You get 8 character slots, right? You can choose 3 skills for each character, among all the skills?

I didn't really read about the core mechanics because I like to discover those by myself, but you got me interested there. Care to explain?

Dina said:
Still no news on D2D.co.uk. Getting anxious here.

edit: not anxious, fearful. mad even.
Seriously! WTF is this shit? I never had problems with D2D before, I hope they don't let me down this time.

Shoogoo

nismogrendel said:
Steam didn't go down did it? Lost connection and cant get it to connect but can browse internet just fine.

I don't know, but I kept loosing my loadout in TF2 today, loosing connection to Steam. Ridiculously annoying ><

Shoogoo said:
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't understand this.

You get 8 character slots, right? You can choose 3 skills for each character, among all the skills?

I didn't really read about the core mechanics because I like to discover those by myself, but you got me interested there. Care to explain?

You get eight character slots and let's just pretend and say there's 12 universal abilities that can be used with all classes and 12 abilities dedicated to each of the four classes. Some of the abilities have to be mapped to a d-pad, like kevlar plate buffs or molotovs or caltrop grenades. You can buy as many skills as you want but you can only have 3 of these 'mappable' abilities active at any given time per class.

So you have to choose which 3 of each class's mappable abilities you want your character to use when you switch to that class at a command post. But you can have 3 mapped at a time per class, and as many purchased and ready to be mapped as you can afford.

Shoogoo

Genesis Knight said:
You get eight character slots and let's just pretend and say there's 12 universal abilities that can be used with all classes and 12 abilities dedicated to each of the four classes. Some of the abilities have to be mapped to a d-pad, like kevlar plate buffs or molotovs or caltrop grenades. You can buy as many skills as you want but you can only have 3 of these 'mappable' abilities active at any given time per class.

So you have to choose which 3 of each class's mappable abilities you want your character to use when you switch to that class at a command post. But you can have 3 mapped at a time per class, and as many purchased and ready to be mapped as you can afford.

Got it, it's clear now. Thanks!

Twig

Banned
I want to know who decided it was a good idea to not let us change characters/body-types/weapon attachments while in a multiplayer match.

I think I understand what they were going for (commit to just one character! also, don't waste time during a match!) but it just doesn't work in this kind of game, where team makeup can actually be important, and I have all my abilities under the soldier class, so switching to engineer or covert ops makes me worthless, relatively speaking.

Oh but man aside from the niggling issues, as above, the game is just so gooooooood. Combine that with my renewed interest in TF2 and my newfound love for League of Legends and I am almost content with multiplayer gaming right now. The only other thing I could ask for is some ARPG joy. When does Torchlight 2 come out? Mmmm.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Twig said:
I want to know who decided it was a good idea to not let us change characters/body-types/weapon attachments while in a multiplayer match.

I think I understand what they were going for (commit to just one character! also, don't waste time during a match!) but it just doesn't work in this kind of game, where team makeup can actually be important, and I have all my abilities under the soldier class, so switching to engineer or covert ops makes me worthless, relatively speaking.

They make it so that your decisions when speccing out your character actually mean something. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, what's the point of that entire system?

Twig

Banned
Kintaro said:
They make it so that your decisions when speccing out your character actually mean something. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, what's the point of that entire system?
It doesn't work, for the reason I stated. Sorry.

Also, I would argue that it's not a good system in the first place. d:

Darkshier said:
I don't know if you can join a friends game or not. I think you have to be invited, not sure. Every time I checked the 360 Brink tag last night, some peoples matches said joinable, but I had no option to join the match. If I am online and someone needs a medic, send me an invite Serpico MTZ.

I played quite a few lagless 8 vs 8 matches on 360 last night though and they were hella fun. Just searching for a standard, objective match. That seems to always throw me into a full room. The game plays great without lag though and really shines with full human teams. One of the greatest moments was me capturing an enemy command post only to step on a mine that someone had placed there. I stood still and in about 30 seconds a friendly engineer came over and disarmed the mine I was standing on. I had to send him a message thanking him for it, it was great.

Slide tackling groups of people from behind is awesome. I am also getting my grenade cooking skills down, they are really useful when used right. Mainly sticking with a light bodied medic so far, I love the health buff I can give myself and the fast movement of the light, is a must for me. I am constantly running around reviving, sliding into cover, non-stop slide tackling fools, really fun.

One thing more people need to do, is watch your corners and use the lean function. No need to expose your full body going around/checking a corner when you can just do a quick peek around the side of it. Really like that they kept the lean feature in for consoles.
How do you lean?

also if you see me online please send an invite. gt is thezerofire

You can still buff damage, disarm mines, complete engineer objectives as an engineer even with no points in it. Same situation with the rest of the classes. Far from worthless. The smart thing to do is to pick up the key abilities in every class (kevlar for soldiers, etc. etc.) and then blow the rest of your load in universal abilities and your preferred class. I mean let's face it, you really don't need every ability soldiers have, they're really not all that useful.

Klocker

having multiple characters to build is pretty cool. Nice that you can have one built as soilder medium and one as Ops agile, etc... I know you can not aternate during matches but after each map, it's pretty painless to drop back and switch over if you want a different flavor.

The game does so much right with some janky issues most notably lag.

This is my first purchase from D2D, where do i find the product key? I have bought it from the UK store and i know they have had problems with the keys but the info says that "We are curently working on an issue with keys outside the UK not working" but i cannot even find my key?

Teknopathetic said:
You can still buff damage, disarm mines, complete engineer objectives as an engineer even with no points in it. Same situation with the rest of the classes. The smart thing to do is to pick up the key abilities in every class (kevlar for soldiers, etc. etc.) and then blow the rest of your load in universal abilities and your preferred class. I mean let's face it, you really don't need every ability soldiers have, they're really not all that useful.

^^This is what I'm doing, which ironically means that I don't need more than one character slot. :/

And thezerofire: you lean by holding left trigger to aim down sights then holding left or right on the D-Pad.

FeD.nL

Klocker said:
having multiple characters to build is pretty cool. Nice that you can have one built as soilder medium and one as Ops agile, etc... I know you can not aternate during matches but after each map, it's pretty painless to drop back and switch over if you want a different flavor.

The game does so much right with some janky issues most notably lag.

Yes, and thats what I don't read in those reviews of giant bomb, 1up and joystiq. Those reviews make it seem as if it's a really bad game where nothing works and I just don't see that when i'm playing. It's just sad that splash damage doesn't get the credit it deserves (for the things they did right).

Klocker said:

Yeah, that's great, but the problem with that, and what I think Twig was saying, is that this game is so dependent on having the proper classes, and when you start up a round and see your team has 4 Soldiers and 4 Medics, people need to start swapping out, and most the time it's not fun swapping out from all your abilities you purchased while leveling up.

The bigger problem: they don't even let you swap classes during the warmup. They make you spawn in and run to a command center to do it - and of course you have no idea who else, if anybody, is running to the command center to do the same thing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think not being able to switch characters is okay, but I would like the option to switch bodytype. I like playing a light on container city, and I like being the heavy for a few chokepoints. I don't expect/want this to be available whenever so everyone can just go heavy when shit goes bad, but before the round starts would be nice. Instead I've just stuck with medium for the "safe" choice.

Klocker

PoweredBySoy said:
Yeah, that's great, but the problem with that, and what I think Twig was saying, is that this game is so dependent on having the proper classes, and when you start up a round and see your team has 4 Soldiers and 4 Medics, people need to start swapping out, and most the time it's not fun swapping out from all your abilities you leveled up purchasing.

The bigger problem: they don't even let you swap classes during the warmup. They make you spawn in and run to a command center to do it - and of course you have no idea who else, if anybody, is running to the command center to do the same thing.

true.. the real benefit to multiple characters is in replay value...max out one and start over is one option, or build up a couple guys at once for variety. But as for abilities, in the long run for teamwork, having a fairly balanced character in all areas (eventually) is key.

It's annoying though to see 6 engies and 0 ops/soldiers in a lot of these games.

lilltias said:
So are people having lots of fun on this or what?

Game rocks unless...

- you have problems with your drivers and graphics card (PC)
- you get horrific lag (360)

But yeah, dodge those two bullets and the game is great fun. Hopefully both issues will be fixed ASAP.

Genesis Knight said:
^^This is what I'm doing, which ironically means that I don't need more than one character slot. :/

And thezerofire: you lean by holding left trigger to aim down sights then holding left or right on the D-Pad.
crazy. I'll have to try that tonight. I'll probably be on late PST if anyone else is west coast

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I think I've settled into my favorite primary gun. Now I just need to find a secondary one I'm comfortable with.

zlatko

Banned
Game is a lot of fun, but last night and most of today each game has been too laggy to play.

I think a lot of times what happens is:

You find game....IT'S NOT LAGGY YAY!
Game Ends. Loads up next map, etc.
Game goes into uber lag and becomes unplayable.

Not sure why this is, but it must be something to do with setting up the host on the next scenario people will be playing on.

My one big "gameplay balance" complaint is how it takes so many fucking bullets to kill someone you down onto their ass. With how many pips medics can get they can keep anyone you keep downing back up on their feet. I try to shoot people I down in the head, especially in areas where there is a lot of enemies around so the medics can't keep them all around thus wasting my ammo and time.

I'd like it to be toned down just a bit. With my SMG it feels like it always takes a full clip to the head to finish someone off, and if I don't get all the hits in the head, then I'll have to start wasting ammo from my next clip.

I'm going to take a break from the game for now though until a patch comes. I don't want to get worn out on it due to laggy matches, because it's a lot of fun when it works.

zlatko said:
I'd like it to be toned down just a bit. With my SMG it feels like it always takes a full clip to the head to finish someone off, and if I don't get all the hits in the head, then I'll have to start wasting ammo from my next clip.

Yup, that's why I pack the huge-ass revolver and execute with 2-3 shots IIRC. Also stomp on downed people whenever you can to save ammo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The game definitly encourages melee over shooting while they're down, and gives you +20 xp instead of +2. But then you open yourself up to operatives exploding and such. It is heartbreaking to see 3-4 downed people in a cluster, throwing a grenade and having it not finish them off however.

So I actually went back to Medium after playing as Light for a full rank. Missed the AR/SMG combo too much and I don't know SMART well enough to make good use of the wallrun ability. Anyone else like this?

Dina

Not going to wait till 2 past midnight for D2D to unlock, but the total lack of communication (I even opened a support ticket three days ago which got no reply) with the customers is a disgrace.

But putting the EU release on such a big mp game 3 days later is pretty bullshit as well.

abundant

I really love being a Light Medic. Just running around, boosting peoples health and reviving. I don't shoot at anyone, just keep on moving. The last game I played, I was the MVP of my team with 0 kills. Thanks to me, we made it impossible for the other team to advance. I love this game.

lilltias

Genesis Knight said:
Game rocks unless...

- you have problems with your drivers and graphics card (PC)
- you get horrific lag (360)

But yeah, dodge those two bullets and the game is great fun. Hopefully both issues will be fixed ASAP.

That's great to hear. Will buy - and I'm pretty sure that the issues will be ironed out.

abundant said:
I really love being a Light Medic. Just running around, boosting peoples health and reviving. I don't shoot at anyone, just keep on moving. The last game I played, I was the MVP of my team with 0 kills. Thanks to me, we made it impossible for the other team to advance. I love this game.

You're my favorite medic, and we haven't even played together yet.

It's not always a good idea to rush to kill every downed opponent. Only those who are near their allies. Single downed opponents are great fodder for the operative's comms hack.

Dina said:
Not going to wait till 2 past midnight for D2D to unlock, but the total lack of communication (I even opened a support ticket three days ago which got no reply) with the customers is a disgrace.

Yeah, i had decided to buy Duke Nukem Forever and Dungeon Siege III from them as well since the prices was better than on steam but now i will certainly not. Those are lost sales and i will never buy anything from them again. As you say, the lack of communication is repulsive.

Genesis Knight said:
So I actually went back to Medium after playing as Light for a full rank. Missed the AR/SMG combo too much and I don't know SMART well enough to make good use of the wallrun ability. Anyone else like this?

I am trying DAMNED hard to stick to the Light body type. I find myself running from several engagements though just to stay alive. On stages like Container City though, it's immensely satisfying to run at near-death then flanking around to take out my attacker.

On the Aquarium map though, where in certain areas there are no vertical planes to escape from and there are long corridors, playing the Light gives me a sadface. :(

Shoogoo

Lag on 360 has nothing to do with that NAT thing right? IIRC, there was a game that depended a lot on it, but it was years ago.

PoweredBySoy said:
Ugh, god, two in a row. You're killing me.

LOSING
Sorry for killing you, english is my third language.

Sanic

Genesis Knight said:
Yup, that's why I pack the huge-ass revolver and execute with 2-3 shots IIRC. Also stomp on downed people whenever you can to save ammo.
I've found the melee to be wildly innacurate. I usually end up spamming the melee button and the enemy oftentimes isn't killed until the third strike. I'm not sure if it's a matter of wonky hit detection or if I have to be extremely close, or in a certain spot. I haven't been paying enough attention when using it.

Top Bottom