• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Prodigal

Banned
kamspy said:
Man sorry to hear about the troubles in Euroland. :|

I got to play a little bit of it tonight. The frame rate problems are stupid, and I was on 470 GTX, which eats every other game my brother throws at it. On the bright side, it seems like there might be some fun to be had. Honestly I'm so turned off by MP shooters that don't run at 60fps that I didn't take time to give it a proper critique. Spent most of my time testing configs to no avail. Might as well roll maxed out in my experience. The benefits of lowering the setting are incredibly diminishing. The framerate is fucked. We have to wait for a fairly straightforward patch that has to do with the dedicated server code. There's a config, and it's a fucking hassle to do every time you start a game, but it does brings FPS up well over 60. It's on the Steam forum if anyone is interested. I'm happy I held off on this one.

Which config are you referring to? I'd like to try this

Finally got my copy today, booted it up earlier for a few matches. I played two matches with real people, then the next campaign match was me and one guy and six bots versus two guys and six bots, and that was not as fun. I think my favorite class to play is Medic right now, but I haven't really sunk my teeth into Engineer or Operative yet.

Brink also gets a prestigious award for being the first game in a long time to make me read the instruction booklet so I could play the game. I went into the first campaign doing a solo round expecting to get some sort of tutorial, but nope was just dropped right in. Figured it out eventually, am really digging the SMART system.

The lack of a lobby system kind of sucks, how am I supposed to meet up with fellow GAFfers now?

Jinaar

I really tried to be on the Positive Parade Bandwagon, but this game is ass online. This game is just filled with issues. From getting your XBL party in one game successfully, to getting even a game without terrible lag in it. The objectives are sort of neat, but I'm losing the care factor. Just feel my money was wasted. I won't do that again if I can help it.

*Duke Nukem will save me*

X-Frame

Are people noticing differences in how they maneuver by using manual jump/crouch commands rather than holding the SMART button?

On a Light/Medium body type if I get lucky and time my jumps correctly it seems almost like I vault and climb 2-3 times faster, but I may be wrong. Either way, seems fast.

Now if I could only learn how to time them correctly ..

Ken

Incendiary said:
Brink also gets a prestigious award for being the first game in a long time to make me read the instruction booklet so I could play the game. I went into the first campaign doing a solo round expecting to get some sort of tutorial, but nope was just dropped right in.
It also seems to be one of the few releases these days that has a manual with more than 3 pages.

zlatko

Banned
X-Frame said:
Are people noticing differences in how they maneuver by using manual jump/crouch commands rather than holding the SMART button?

On a Light/Medium body type if I get lucky and time my jumps correctly it seems almost like I vault and climb 2-3 times faster, but I may be wrong. Either way, seems fast.

Now if I could only learn how to time them correctly ..

This may have something to do with momentum and stringing things together. Were you running, then vaulting over something, into a jump, into a wall hop, into a slide, etc? When you chain things together apparently you go much quicker in covering ground is what the developers said in an earlier interview.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
I've noticed that when I initiate the jump the character takes less time to pull himself up onto a ledge or whatever.
But maybe that;s just my imagination?

Teknoman

Pandoracell said:
Some random pics from the games going on right now. Nothing really exciting, but meh:

Nice shots...but really just makes me wish the texture glitches on Radeon 4800 series were fixed by now >:I

I know it might take time but...c'mon.

Sanic

Bromeliad said:
I've noticed that when I initiate the jump the character takes less time to pull himself up onto a ledge or whatever.
But maybe that;s just my imagination?

Nope, it's not. When you time jumps and slides yourself, they'll occur more quickly than if you were just letting the smart system do everything.

DEO3

Fuck it - Bought.

Who knows if it'll run on my system, who knows if anyone will even be playing it in a week, who knows how I'm going to pay my electric bill this month, but I can't stop reading these threads, I can't stop watching streams, and I tune into thebrink.tv every night. Even if it runs like shit and never gets patched and all that's left to play with are bots in a week, I figure I at least owe Splash Damage the $50 for W:ET. I played that game for years, joined a team, entered tournaments, designed a couple of popular maps, made a lot of long lasting friends, and never had to pay them a dime. So take my money Splash Damage. Please.

DEO3 said:
Fuck it - Bought.

Who knows if it'll run on my system, who knows if anyone will even be playing it in a week, who knows how I'm going to pay my electric bill this month, but I can't stop reading these threads, I can't stop watching streams, and I tune into thebrink.tv every night. Even if it runs like shit and never gets patched and all that's left to play with are bots in a week, I figure I at least owe Splash Damage the $50 for W:ET. I played that game for years, joined a team, entered tournaments, designed a couple of popular maps, made a lot of long lasting friends, and never had to pay them a dime. So take my money Splash Damage. Please.
u wont be disappointed. been playing the game at 15-30 fps and still am addicted. once this game is patched my social life will be gone

Sanic

DEO3 said:
Fuck it - Bought.

You certainly don't need to worry about the bolded. Enjoy yourself, and hopefully we'll see you online!

Proven

Played earlier in the day. I want to thank Genesis Knight and the others for the Galactic SMG recommendation. That, the Kross, and another SMG that I can't quite remember are my favorites at this point. I also made my piece with the Assault Rifles; They seem to be meant for either very long range or very close range, and I was just wasn't used to that type of guneplay. Now I just run a Medium with two SMGs as one of my characters.

I finally tried the "start a new character" thing for the Be More Objective 3 star challenge, and after about 8 tries I finally beat it. Now I have just two 3 star challenges left, and only one of them is actually a challenge for me, Tower Defense.

Edit: Also, I may just be getting better at the game, but playing against people is loads easier than playing against bots online. Hard mode is hard.

Ketch

Played a pretty fun match on the GAF server today. Played as a resistance operative on the terminal level... we had a really good medic and a decent engi, together we we're kickin ass.

I love running around as the light type slide tackling and knifing peeps to death. I was pretty successful with disguising and bringing down the attackers from within their own ranks.

We were holding them off until like a minute left when they stole the flag and made it all th way back to like 15 ft from the point before we finally brought that slippery fool down. Pretty epic ending to a really fun match.

The lack of in game voice chat is the worst.

Fake Edit: this is when the other guy on my team posts that the enemies were all bots.

I'll have to try the galactic again without a silencer. It wasn't doing enough damage so I switched back to the Carb-9. My favorite combo right now is Semi-automatic rifle and the 20 bullet machine pistol.

Tonight I realized that you can mark enemies while disguised. It's a great way to make the most out of your time behind enemy lines. Mark a few dudes that are hiding, and then take a couple out with a grenade and a burst.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
EasyTGT said:
Played a pretty fun match on the GAF server today. Played as a resistance operative on the terminal level... we had a really good medic and a decent engi, together we we're kickin ass.

I love running around as the light type slide tackling and knifing peeps to death. I was pretty successful with disguising and bringing down the attackers from within their own ranks.

We were holding them off until like a minute left when they stole the flag and made it all th way back to like 15 ft from the point before we finally brought that slippery fool down. Pretty epic ending to a really fun match.

I think maybe I was that medic, maybe! You were a str8 up badass if it was the same game I am thinking of.

Teknoman

Chanser said:
That sound bug is annoying, framerate and lag is abysmal.

Get on the GAF server if you can (its always full...or for some reason says 14/16 and still full atm) pretty much lag free.

Also I think im really going to have fun with the light body as an engineer. Think I might be either Engineer/Operative or Engineer/Soldier...

Firebrand

Tried the game for a few hours. It's fun. Frame rate is awful (dualcore / GTX260) on some maps, in particular that one with the safe.

Is the EU GAF server (thanks again, Spookie!) not up? I wasn't able to connect earlier.

FLEABttn

Banned
Got the PS3 version today. Seems to run alright. Wish there was a bit less texture pop.

No install required but I see a lot of drive light blinking so I assume it's caching to the hard drive. Not sure if an install of some kind would help with the texture pop. Probably not, otherwise I assume Splash Damage would have made that an option.

Obviously unsure about online performance, but I hope it's good. The bots are just plain retarded and it's not very fun as single player.

Concept17

Well, aside from having to deal with the grid, poor performance in general, and random lockups, I think I'm giving up until it gets patched. Its just not worth the effort. I've spent as much time trying to get this game running well as I have actually playing it. I really really want to play it right now, but I simply need some kind of boost to performance and some issues fixed before its worth my time.

filipe

My friend has it on PC and he's one of the people that have it running just fine in SP. MP is still a terrible mess and the AI needs a SMART (pun intended) patch, but it's still been a blast playing a few rounds. I think it'll be a buy for me once the first few patches roll out.

Chanser

Teknoman said:
Get on the GAF server if you can (its always full...or for some reason says 14/16 and still full atm) pretty much lag free.

Also I think im really going to have fun with the light body as an engineer. Think I might be either Engineer/Operative or Engineer/Soldier...

I'll play on the European server.

Just noticed Brink is no longer at the Steam store.

Well dont know what happened, but I just got off about 3 hours of lag free gaming on the XB360. If this sticks, I'll be incredibly happy. Now that Im getting the hang of it and unlocking stuff, the game is simply fucking awesome, IMO of course. :)

Not much going on in the GAF gamertag. Have yet to get a respond or an invite. C'mon y'all, commence the jiggling.

Started this up earlier and playing for a few hours straight.
Really enjoying it. Gonna stick with medic for awhile.

Haven't had too much lag trouble(360 version), though I've noticed most of my matches have involved a crapton of bots.

Shoogoo

TheApatheticOne said:
Not much going on in the GAF gamertag. Have yet to get a respond or an invite. C'mon y'all, commence the jiggling.

The European GAF gamertag is a desert, I think we got 3 or 4 people there :/

Found this on the teamxbox forums and found it mildly amusing :)

1781021-sinkart.jpg

Im still waiting for my copy to arrive before i judge but based on some opinions ive read in here its not far off the mark :)

Ubersnug

This is probably a stupid question (also, I've only played 2 games so far):

On the 360 version, how do you tell how many people are in the game with you? The usual 'back button' method brings up a different menu.

Is it me or is the menu GUI in this game very unintuitive? Don't have a clue what I'm doing half the time...

EDIT: I'm playing on the UK version, has Splash Damage released any info on a 360 patch to fix the horrendous lag? Rubber banding and lag on my button presses is making it difficult for me to truly appreciate thus game.

(._.)

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I don't necessarily disagree with it, but it seems weird to single Brink out for it. Fallout: New Vegas had a borderline unplayable launch but didn't take much of a critical hit for it. Like you mentioned, Gears 2 got away with it unscathed...pretty much any "big" game can get a good review on name alone even if the launch is a clusterfuck."

This just in: Game reviewers are worthless.
True. I haven't read/watched one in almost a year until I purchased this game.

luffeN

Just played the first solo mission (PC) as Security and it was fun! It's cool that you don't really need the iron sight to kill enemies, but if you want to be more precise, like a headshot or something, iron sight is the way to go. I thought I was playing a light body type at the beginning because all the jumping I could do made it seem that way. Was shocked when it was the medium type. I think I will stick to it. Don't know how much frames I have, but it's not 100 like I'm used to in 1.6.

Teknoman

Ubersnug said:
This is probably a stupid question (also, I've only played 2 games so far):

On the 360 version, how do you tell how many people are in the game with you? The usual 'back button' method brings up a different menu.

Is it me or is the menu GUI in this game very unintuitive? Don't have a clue what I'm doing half the time...

EDIT: I'm playing on the UK version, has Splash Damage released any info on a 360 patch to fix the horrendous lag? Rubber banding and lag on my button presses is making it difficult for me to truly appreciate thus game.

Play some offline challenges to figure out whats up.

soultron

Banned
Probably my connection, but haven't been able to find a decent game online out of the two or three times I've tried since moving to Freeplay.

Really want to get into a decent game and enjoy the meat of human competition. My roommate has it on PC and I envy him and his server list options. He's been playing lagfree since launch... :[

soultron

Banned
SirButterstick said:
Wow, I totally went from not digging this game to enjoying it a lot. It's a ton of fun.
Once you wrap your head around things (play the challenges and read -- yes, read -- the tips database in the options menu) you will say, "wow."

There's an insane amount of potential for amazing shit to happen with a team that's spec'd properly and working together. Game's deep.

Proven said:
Edit: Also, I may just be getting better at the game, but playing against people is loads easier than playing against bots online. Hard mode is hard.

Yeah, and the fresh character trick doesn't make Hard campaign any easier like it does for Challenges. Seriously unfair, I think I will just try to win them all online...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone come up with anything cool in the character editor|

This is the best I could come up, pretty lame really.

untitledjuk2.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was hyped for a long time for this title, but lack of friends wishing to make the effort and all this complaining around release are kind of grating...

Anyone playing this on PC and enjoying it as much as they thought they would?

Also, are there any plans for a GAF Steam clan or anything?

If you can convince me, I'll go out and buy it today!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Spookie said:
Just restarted it now I've got up. It should be fine it shows as running for me.

Well I'll redeem the game-code on steam, here's hoping the game starts on my pc so I can join the eu-gaf server.

Teknoman

B-Genius said:
I was hyped for a long time for this title, but lack of friends wishing to make the effort and all this complaining around release are kind of grating...

Anyone playing this on PC and enjoying it as much as they thought they would?

Also, are there any plans for a GAF Steam clan or anything?

If you can convince me, I'll go out and buy it today!

Well theres a Steam group.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I'm sad that Brink is having such a rough start, making many hesitate in buying it. Luckily I'm one of those who has only had smooth sailing performance-wise. The game is very team-oriented, and I've been having tons of fun with it. I haven't liked an online FPS this much since UT04'.

Top Bottom