• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

NIN90

derFeef said:
Which sound bug? I have not had any issues so far - try disabling the "losing focus" option in the audio options.

I did that. Didnt help. And multiple people on the various servers I visited had the bug aswell.

Raide

After an hour or so playing through some of the Challenges and SP missions...I love this game. With a 360 install, I did not notice any horrible pop-up, though it does appear slightly on cutscenes etc.

Will be on later to try out the online!

Grayman

The hud really gets in the way a lot. Medic revive icons cover up targets in the distance.

NIN90 said:
I did that. Didnt help. And multiple people on the various servers I visited had the bug aswell.
just hearsay from ingame chat but apparently it is the refuel map that does it 100% of the time.

syoaran

NIN90 said:
How the fuck can something like that sound bug go through QA?

It's pissing me the fuck off.

It will have got forced though by production, as is the case with 90% of the QA bugs found in games.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Well theres a Steam group.
Nice, so people are already enjoying online?

It'd be great to have some regulars to try Brink out with, and as long as these technical hiccups are for the minority, I've got some stuff ready to trade in on the high street.

Comments such as Nezabyte's are promising. I loved 2K4!

People are acting like this is worse than Super Meat Boy. They've been communicating issues on their site and seem to be on top of it. That's the best they can do in their situation.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just installed the game and played a round of challenge and an online round , pc :

1 ) First and foremost, I thought my gpus were running abit louder than usual while in the character creation menu. I tab out and the that the temps are almost 70C ( 5h of crysis 2 makes them less hot btw ) and both of the cards have been running 100% nonstop for the past 10 minutes. I quickly realize that D3Doverrider is not working and that the framerate ( ala SC2 menu ) is skyrocketing and frying my gpus. I promplty enable the ingame V-sync and the gpu usage ( and temp ) drop drastically. So you know, unless you want the game to run at 15000fps and turn your gpu to liquid while in the menus, you might wanna turn on v-sync/cap the framerate.

2) What's wrong with the challengemode ? At first I thought that I was one of many with your run of the mill performance issues but after playing online it seems that the challenge mode only runs about 20-30fps for some odd reason.

3) I'm not sure the math works like this but : during online with everything set on max ( barring AO ) my gpus are hovering around 25% each, which I reckon ( again , not sure if the SLI math works like this but maybe it's in the same ballbark ) is equivalent to 50% usage of one 560 ti. What I'm trying to get at is if you have a gpu that is roughly half has powerful as a gtx 560 ti then you should be seeing 50-60fps with max settings @ 1080p.

4) Technical mumbo jumbo aside, the game seems fun even though I was pitted against bots. I'm a sucker when it comes to customization and "loot" in games.

Question : I redeemed my preorder psycho pack bonus but the only bonus from the pack that I see is the tattoo, where is the gun/silencer/hoodmask? I checked every category and couldn't find it,

derFeef

@Corky. SLI does not work. Disabling it will get you better results, as reported. (we should get this info out somehow, I said that like 3 times ;)

Corky said:
2) What's wrong with the challengemode ? At first I thought that I was one of many with your run of the mill performance issues but after playing online it seems that the challenge mode only runs about 20-30fps for some odd reason.
Yeah, setting up a dedicated sever and joining it (on the same computer) supposedly gets around it. I think it has something to do with the way the bot AI updates but in reality I have no idea what's causing it, and I haven't seen any dev posts about it.

DryvBy

I haven't returned or sold a game in years. I think this is the first one in years I'm putting up on Amazon. I really was looking forward to this, but there's no redeeming factor on the console. I have this on PS3, so I'm hoping when the PSN is back up, I can get something out of the online play.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed with the parkour?

Corky

derFeef said:
@Corky. SLI does not work. Disabling it will get you better results, as reported. (we should get this info out somehow, I said that like 3 times ;)

Huh that's wierd, I think it works flawlessly.

edit : also, can somebody give me a hint on how to complete the first objective of the two star objective challenge? I'm trying to set up the bomb to blow but the enemy bots are endless and keep respawning ad naseam, refusing to give me even 2secs of time to set the charge.

f0rk

Got an hour in and finished all the 2 star challenges, the game feels good can't wait to try online.
I have a 4890 and had the texture griding but it ran fine, will I have similar fps online?

derFeef

Corky said:
Oh, there are several cases where disabling it improves the framerate. Guess it's not an universal fix.

And speaking of objectives, is it normal that "Be objective" keeps flashing, even though I completed it several times now?

360GAF, we need to get it together. Its amazing how many people playing don't get that as a soldier, throw out ammo when someone needs it. Engineers... buff damage! Medics .... heal, buff health, and revive! OPs..... be OPs and not on the front lines. All that among many other things. Oh, and at least act like your semi aware of objectives.

Pubs are evil dummies, always have been, always will be.

Side note: Any one else having the issue of having a kevlar vest, health buffed, and damage buffed, catching someone off-guard, lacing into them, to have them take you down with an absolute ridiculous quickness? It just feels like I unleash hell and dont kill them, when Im the FPS version of Glass Joe.

TheApatheticOne said:
360GAF, we need to get it together. Its amazing how many people playing don't get that as a soldier, throw out ammo when someone needs it. Engineers... buff damage! Medics .... heal, buff health, and revive! OPs..... be OPs and not on the front lines. All that among many other things. Oh, and at least act like your semi aware of objectives.

Side note: Any one else having the issue of having a kevlar vest, health buffed, and damage buffed, catching someone off-guard, lacing into them, to have them take you down with an absolute ridiculous quickness? It just feels like I unleash hell and dont kill them, when Im the FPS version of Glass Joe.

Agree with all of this. Yes I don't know why that happens, lag? I will pump 20 rounds into someone and they will turn around and kill me in five shots. I don't know whats up with that.

Corky said:

edit : also, can somebody give me a hint on how to complete the first objective of the two star objective challenge? I'm trying to set up the bomb to blow but the enemy bots are endless and keep respawning ad naseam, refusing to give me even 2secs of time to set the charge.
Open up the console and type "Admin kickallbots", works like a charm. :p

TheApatheticOne said:

It's funny that even with the campaign missions being multiplayer bot matches and the objective wheel, people still can't figure out what the fuck to do in this game. I was playing aquarium last night as resistance, we had the first door on fucking lockdown for a good 3 minutes solid. Nobody was a soldier and nobody would switch, I eventually did when I died, but come on. So many times have I had to switch from my medic to soldier/engi/op just to get the obj. done. It doesn't help that I am always the best medic at the time, so yeah, we need to play together, randoms are killin it.

And yeah, that is all lag. In a lag-free match I can get kills with ease and know why I died. With lag, I can't get a kill even with spraying down a whole galactic drum mag. When this game doesn't lag, it is such an awesome multiplayer game. The lag just effects soooo much. Even CliffyB said in the Gears 3 beta thread that people playing on dedicated servers vs non-dedis is giving people the wrong idea of weapon balance, no lag has that much effect.

The fact we don't get dedicated servers on Brink for consoles is fucking weak. Original Xbox games gave your the option to use another xbox as a dedicated server. I would go out and buy another xbox, just to use as a dedicated server for Brink. I don't even get that option, let alone a server browser, or even a competent lobby system. This p2p shit on console has to end. People are paying a premium price for console versions and are getting less basic features than their PC counterparts. Console gamers need to demand more and starting having higher standards.

Starfish_Oxide said:
Might run in and get this today. Should I be talked out of it?

I love Brink and the gameplay it offers. Until Splash Damage patches the game and gets the lag sorted out (on consoles) I can't recommend anyone buy it for a full price. If you are getting the PC version, maybe so, but there are still performance issues with the PC, that I also find unacceptable. I paid about half price each for my 360 and PC copies of the game. If you can find Brink for a similar price, only then can I recommend it.

Nocebo

Corky said:

1) Kill the bots? then plant the bomb
or
2) switch to medic, revive teammates and keep killing bots and wait for a teammate bot to plant the bomb

Ken

Starfish_Oxide said:
Might run in and get this today. Should I be talked out of it?
Playing the 360 version and I can't recommend picking it up in its current state at full price. I'd wait for network fixes first. I don't think jumping in late will cause too much problems since leveling seems pretty fast.

Klorox33

Neo Member
Picked this up Wednesday night. I'm not having any glaring performance issues on PC. Game has been fun so far... but I have to agree TheApatheticOne's comment about feeling like glass.

It just comes up with a blank page saying 'Oops, sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region'

Corky said:
Just installed the game and played a round of challenge and an online round , pc :

1 ) First and foremost, I thought my gpus were running abit louder than usual while in the character creation menu. I tab out and the that the temps are almost 70C ( 5h of crysis 2 makes them less hot btw ) and both of the cards have been running 100% nonstop for the past 10 minutes. I quickly realize that D3Doverrider is not working and that the framerate ( ala SC2 menu ) is skyrocketing and frying my gpus. I promplty enable the ingame V-sync and the gpu usage ( and temp ) drop drastically. So you know, unless you want the game to run at 15000fps and turn your gpu to liquid while in the menus, you might wanna turn on v-sync/cap the framerate.

While I won't argue that no framecap in menus isn't stupid, taxing your gpu at 100 percent isn't going to do squat unless you have inadequate cooling or too heavy an overclock.

It's no different than running furmark, which you can happily run for 10 hours on a 'healthy' pc.

Nocebo said:
1) Kill the bots? then plant the bomb
or
2) switch to medic, revive teammates and keep killing bots and wait for a teammate bot to plant the bomb

You can't switch to medic for that part actually; you have to be soldier.

@Corky:

Sprint to that corner ASAP and get your Molotov ready (hold RB). As soon as you turn that corner aim immediately towards the nearest bot and try to tag as many as possible with your nade, then go ahead and place the charge. You will get shot up as they catch up but I've found this to be the most effective way to get the bomb up fast.

As for the hacking objective, remember, you don't have to be right next to it... as soon as you get the hackbox on, get prepared to start RUNNING (and don't hesitate to drop the hack to defend yourself; better to kill someone then try to reestablish the hack than to die and watch them remove your hackbox :( )

Corky

SneakyStephan said:
While I won't argue that no framecap in menus isn't stupid, taxing your gpu at 100 percent isn't going to do squat unless you have inadequate cooling or too heavy an overclock.

It's no different than running furmark, which you can happily run for 10 hours on a 'healthy' pc.

I wouldn't say running furmark for 10 hours isn't going to do "squat" on your gpu, nonetheless you are right if you have adequate cooling things won't go tits up. But then again, why even risk it?

Goddamn the browser really is terrible. No queue system or anything, can't filter out bots (I mean really, if you have bots I should be able to filter them out), even QW had that stuff, and it was a lot smoother. Amazingly shitty browser, almost zero functionality and it cuts the framerate down by 100FPS or so.

And is there no way to filter out the gametype I don't want (campaign) rather than filtering so that I only see either objective or stopwatch?

*Fortunately it alt-tabs like a dream, use the Steam browser instead.

Lince

Banned
the fps counter says the game is running above 80 fps average (60-120) but it doesn't feel like it at all, more like 30 fps, what gives?

Lince said:
the fps counter says the game is running above at 80 fps average (60-120) but it doesn't feel like it at all, more like 30 fps, what gives?
Playing SP? If you're running your own server (SP) with bots it seems to be locked to 30. Once you go online it's smooth as silk.

Corky

Danne-Danger said:
Playing SP? If you're running your own server (SP) with bots it seems to be locked to 30. Once you go online it's smooth as silk.

Yes, also even if you're fps counter is telling you you're running at 200fps the game is somehow locked to 30 or something. In SP that is.

XeroSauce

Danne-Danger said:
Goddamn the browser really is terrible. No queue system or anything, can't filter out bots (I mean really, if you have bots I should be able to filter them out), even QW had that stuff, and it was a lot smoother. Amazingly shitty browser, almost zero functionality and it cuts the framerate down by 100FPS or so.

And is there no way to filter out the gametype I don't want (campaign) rather than filtering so that I only see either objective or stopwatch?

*Fortunately it alt-tabs like a dream, use the Steam browser instead.

My FPS apparently goes from 120 down to 12 in that browser. I have no idea what they were thinking when they released that.

desu

Mister_Bubbles said:
Brink has disappeared from the European Steam store, whilst people who've bought retail copies can't activate them. This game... goddamn, this game :(

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/13/brink-disappears-from-european-steam-store-customers-unable-to-activate-retail-copies/

So whats with all of this? Can people activate their D2D keys right now?

I got a spare key that I wanted to get rid of but I don't want to sell it and then there are problems with redeeming it (even if just temporary).

Ubersnug

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
I can't tell if when I'm doing the campaign I'm actually playing with people or bots.
I'm the same. Can anyone tell me if there is a menu that shows you all the players in the game?

Ubersnug said:
I'm the same. Can anyone tell me if there is a menu that shows you all the players in the game?

Is this for the 360? If so, when you hit Start all the human players are lit up by the colored bar to the right (their connec speed).

Ryn

f0rk said:
Got an hour in and finished all the 2 star challenges, the game feels good can't wait to try online.
I have a 4890 and had the texture griding but it ran fine, will I have similar fps online?

I have a 4890 as well, and whenever I played online the matches would randomly turn into the tinted blue screen issue, which sucked, a lot. I would quit to main menu and it'd disappear, but when I rejoined freeplay it would go back to the blue tint. I turned off shadows a couple days ago and haven't seen the blue tint since, but I still have that white tiling issue, which is at least manageable compared to the blue tint.

KiKaL

XeroSauce said:
My FPS apparently goes from 120 down to 12 in that browser. I have no idea what they were thinking when they released that.

Yeah kills my FPS too. I hate that it has to load ALL of the servers before you can do anything. I actually played some lag free games last night. It seems that latency is getting better.

Ubersnug

walbertsmith said:
Is this for the 360? If so, when you hit Start all the human players are lit up by the colored bar to the right (their connec speed).
Yep, 360 version.

I'll try that tonight. Cheers.

Ubersnug said:
I noticed that a bot controlled still had a internet signal bar. also within the same game I worked my way behind the enemy cloaked waited til the bots turned facing away from me pulled up a grenade right was I was going to throw it the biot turns around 1 hits me with a shot gun and turns back around.

KiKaL said:
Yeah kills my FPS too. I hate that it has to load ALL of the servers before you can do anything. I actually played some lag free games last night. It seems that latency is getting better.
Alt-tab, use the steam browser, go back in and accept the invite, works much better.

Ken

Ubersnug said:

On the 360 you can see all the players in the Scoreboard by hitting Start. You then have to use your bumpers to switch between Resistance players, Security players, and Spectators.

Lince

Banned
Danne-Danger said:

ok thanks for the reply, I found a way to unlock the framerate, it's a bit of a hassle but since there's no a proper console command to uncap it...

Go into Steam tools, and install the dedicated server. Once you've setup the dedicated server, Create A Config file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink dedicated server\base to start the campaign mode, or challenge map.

[Sample config.cfg]
si_rules sdGameRulesCampaign
applyServerConfig Standard
spawnServer mp/aquarium
campaign set campaign_resistance
g_password password [[CHANGE THIS]]
net_serverAllowHijacking 0
si_playMode 1
si_onlineMode 2
si_needpass 1
si_maxRank 4
si_botDifficulty 2
[End Sample]

Once the file is created, launch Brink, then alt-tab out, launch the server using brink_ded.bat, and in the console use "exec config.cfg"

Go back into brink, join your server, either via LAN, or direct connect 127.0.0.1, enter the password from above, and enjoy playing with no 30FPS cap.

XeroSauce

KiKaL said:

You can press stop at the bottom right corner of the screen, you know.

Top Bottom