• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

I got called bad for leading kills as a medic... same soldier that was bitching never gave me ammo once... sigh

Can't wait for when the sound is fixed 100% and the bads go back to whatever game they came from.

Been playing for a few hours now and I haven't run into any problems. I disabled anything I could get my hands on ("r_skippostprocessing 1" will give you a huge boost in framerate, scratch that, won't work online D: ) and it's running well above 60 on a Geforce 275 with a AMD 720x3. No connection issues no nothing, ping seems alright but it really sucks that you can't view it in-game, bars tell me nothing, get that console shit out of here.

And this FOV bug is killing me, playing with 70 is unbearable but I can't sprint with anything else, seems like SD is working on it though.

That said the game seems to be alright from what I gather, I tried all the guns and found a few that stuck with me, but I don't wanna use SMGs until I get the light body. Revolver is frickin' sweet! I feel like going all out soldier but with no one actually doing objectives (and the maps being rather confusing starting out) its mostly just a glorified TDM at the moment, haven't had a single good team game yet. And the maps can feel a bit empty at times even on a full server. But this will change once people start getting good/I find a good server.

One thing that I really, really don't like is the sensitivity when using the sights, I try not to because the difference is so jarring. Even with the "adjusted sights" it feels like crap, I hope they'll let us tweak that in the future, unless there's a console command I'm missing?

Verdict so far, feels nice and smooth! A few minor fixes needed.

*Oh and with this "look at dude to buff him" shenanigans EVERYONE looks like a spy.

Danne-Danger said:
"g_skippostprocessing 1"

Do I have to run that command each time I open the game or is there a config file I stick that in?

I agree about the revolver, that thing is beast. It hits like a truck. SMG is my up close gun, revolver is good for picking off guys at range or putting down wounded enemies.

nismogrendel said:
I got called bad for leading kills as a medic... same soldier that was bitching never gave me ammo once... sigh

Can't wait for when the sound is fixed 100% and the bads go back to whatever game they came from.

Truth right there. Was playing as my one of my medic characters (only one on the team), was ranked the best medic, was killing, sliding while throwing health packs, just doing EVERYTHING. Finished with almost 2000 more points than the guy below me. Of course, he goes off on me saying there was "multiple" times I blew it because Im a "noob" and wasnt doing my job. This said, him playing as a soldier, didnt hand out one ammo pack to me or as far as I saw, anyone else, nor did he complete one objective.

Yeah, all my fault, thats it buddy.

Please Brink360GAF, ASSEMBLE!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So, most ppl are enjoying it? I own the 360 version but havent' had a chance to play yet. Seems a lot of the reviews were off, maybe?

commish said:
So, most ppl are enjoying it? I own the 360 version but havent' had a chance to play yet. Seems a lot of the reviews were off, maybe?
I would say they are accurate, but for me I'm willing to put up with the shitty parts to show that a team based multiplayer shooter can have a thriving community on a console plus I enjoy the art style I like the parkour stuff, even if it's not used to it's full extent and while the guns still feel a like to me the shooting is good ifeel like my guns are actually doing something and I like the downing systen Brink uses way more than what it's like in the Gears of War 3 beta.

Ketch

Bromeliad said:
I think maybe I was that medic, maybe! You were a str8 up badass if it was the same game I am thinking of.

Yep. Must have been the same game, because I am totally a "str8 up badass"! (need the cool shades emoticon).

I'll try to get on to the GAF server again today. The damn server browser is so confusing... anyone know how to add a server to your favorites? Or why my history keeps disappearing?

nismogrendel said:
Do I have to run that command each time I open the game or is there a config file I stick that in?
It's actually r_skippostprocess 1, I got it mixed up.

I have it in the autoexec and I haven't had to reset it, create a text file and save it in the Brink root folder (right next to the .exe) as "autoexec.cfg". Mine looks like this atm, not sure if everything's working:
Code:
seta m_rawInput 1
seta m_smooth 0
seta g_fov 70
seta r_useMotionBlur 0
seta image_anisotropy 16
seta r_useHBAO 0
seta r_softParticles 0
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess 0
seta r_usePortals 0
seta s_useOcclusion 0
seta g_skipViewEffects 0
seta r_skipParticles 1
seta r_skipbump 1
seta r_skippostprocess 1

commish said:

Ive got about 6 characters going (Engineer (my main), OP, and Medic on the rebel side/ Soldier, Medic, OP on the other). Last night, I got a nice chunk of solid lag free games in. The game rocks, it really does. Maybe thats just my opinion, but its refreshing to get a new take on FPS.

The "whether" it sticks depends on whether we can get a group together, because playing with pubs isnt cutting it right now. Im already having "Black Ops Domination" syndrome where Im leading the entire lobby in points, playing pretty damn good, helping everyone, politely pointing out what the enemy is doing, yet Im always on the team getting spanked like a bad child.

If you had a solid group, even classes among the team, and worked together.... this game could be what holds me over until Battefield 3. But barely anyone on the GAF Brink gamertag plays it, so between that and the network issues, getting any teams together so far has been impossible.

Overall, yes, Im enjoying it very much, but my frustration lies within I could be enjoying it even more, way more.

Ketch

Danne-Danger said:
It's actually r_skippostprocess 1, I got it mixed up.

I have it in the autoexec and I haven't had to reset it, create a text file and save it in the Brink root folder (right next to the .exe) as "autoexec.cfg". Mine looks like this atm, not sure if everything's working:
Code:
seta m_rawInput 1
seta m_smooth 0
seta g_fov 70
seta r_useMotionBlur 0
seta image_anisotropy 16
seta r_useHBAO 0
seta r_softParticles 0
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess 0
seta r_usePortals 0
seta s_useOcclusion 0
seta g_skipViewEffects 0
seta r_skipParticles 1
seta r_skipbump 1
seta r_skippostprocess 1

Wait what? Will this make my game run better? Maybe possibly at 1920x1080 without the framerate issues? I'll try and report back. If it works, thanks for the tip.

Offerizer

Neo Member
I just ran through some of the first challenges and had approx 60-100 fps depending on bots or no bots. I have an ATI card so was expecting a lot worse. Will have to see what happens when I jump online tonight.

EasyTGT said:
Well played two matches one at 1600x900 and another at 1920x1080... can't really tell the difference.
Just noticed that r_skippostprocess will only work in menus, once you connect it re-enables and you can't change it. :(

Seem like a lot of the r_skip commands won't work online (though you can clearly see the effect on the model in the menus), damnit!

But I guess that means I'm getting pretty solid performance without them, so eh. :p

sinky72

Why the hell after everything that has been said (mostly neg) I've still got the urge to go out and pick this game up sooner rather than later (maybe even tonight). Will someone please tell me to give my head a big shake.

So got key, unlocked, crisis averted. Played some challenges. Performance really is lacking. Sporting a 5850 and AMD quadcore combo. Tried different drivers etc. but to no avail. For shame SD. Apart from that guns feel and sound great, FOV is too narrow. Looking forward to put some more time into this at the weekend.

My brother rented Brink on 360 so I've played it a bit. When it's running well online its a very solid game. People seem to work together and I haven't noticed to many bad players. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but using the iron sights makes it harder to aim. I don't know why but it just sprays bullets everywhere.

Beat the Security campaign.
I dunno..Some of the objectives get to be pretty bad at times.
Like stopping the missile launch.

Started a fresh character to do the Resistance campaign.

Solo challenges are totally ugh by the way.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Beat the Security campaign.
I dunno..Some of the objectives get to be pretty bad at times.
Like stopping the missile launch.

Started a fresh character to do the Resistance campaign.

Solo challenges are totally ugh by the way.
I am convinced that is the worst objective in the game. The space is just way to open and there is no way to get around grenades and what not in that area.

derFeef

So I bought this for a friend, but he has a 4970 - which is bad I guess. Is there no hotfix for the grid issues? Like disabling some effects via console?

HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Gotta get them sentry guns up.
I now have this vision in my head of having everyone on the team except 2 operatives go engineer and then just make a sentry circle around the objective, at the very least it would look hilarious.

derFeef

Okay, this is dumb. Let me use sense of perspective with my mouse please. With the way my keys are set, I am getting a cramp when I look around.

Firebrand

Some thoughts after playing some more:

- Maybe it's just my shitty framerate, but I don't feel there's much feedback when shooting someone. I really can't really tell if my shots are connecting or not. Often I'll think I missed, only to look down at the corner of the screen and see that I got a kill or two.

- But when you get shot yourself, you'll feel it: The screen goes black and white, sound gets muted... which makes it really hard to find out who exactly is shooting at you and react accordingly.

- Container City (I think?) has a terrible spawn for attackers. Should they get pushed back to spawn they're not ever coming out of there. The defensive turrets aren't really covering well, while defenders can just spam grenades down the ramps and build multiple turrets above. Ought to be another route out of spawn there.

- The lock on when buffing people on the move can be very disorienting. It'd probably more annoying if buffs could "fail" if they walked out of range though. Also it's kinda funny when you're chasing somebody at twice your normal movement speed.

- Server browser needs some improvements. As far as I know you can't filter out servers that aren't dedicated, or servers that have bots. Maybe this was intentional to "blur the lines between single- and multiplayer," but I don't really want to play on a laggy listen server with bots.

And oh, was there a GAF server in Euroland? I added the server in the OP but it's not responding.

derFeef said:
Okay, this is dumb. Let me use sense of perspective with my mouse please. With the way my keys are set, I am getting a cramp when I look around.

Oh so that's how you do it? I was surprised to find I couldn't change the camera angle after purchasing that skill.

I can't find people who know how to work together. I'm either always the person doing the primary objective because no one else will, or a medic because no one else will heal/revive anyone. frustrating.

Firebrand

thezerofire said:
I can't find people who know how to work together. I'm either always the person doing the primary objective because no one else will, or a medic because no one else will heal/revive anyone. frustrating.

i-Rrh8FjH-L.jpg

Firebrand said:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-Rrh8FjH/0/L/i-Rrh8FjH-L.jpg
exactly. I want to be able to spec classes I actually like, but I end up having to switch so much I can't. I have a ton of unassigned skill points because of it.

Concept17

Patch incoming. (PC)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887202

Ded Server patch first. Client patch an hour later.

The next game update for the PC version is already in the works, and includes a fix for the FOV issue some of you have been reporting on the forums, among several other things. We’ll have more information to share on that soon.

This was mentioned shortly after release, so hopefully this patch addresses most the big issues.

Raide

thezerofire said:

For me it took a little while to remember which class was needed for a certain objective. I am currently levelling up to make my Ninja Medic. :D

Firebrand said:
Some thoughts after playing some more:

- Maybe it's just my shitty framerate, but I don't feel there's much feedback when shooting someone. I really can't really tell if my shots are connecting or not. Often I'll think I missed, only to look down at the corner of the screen and see that I got a kill or two.

- Container City (I think?) has a terrible spawn for attackers. Should they get pushed back to spawn they're not ever coming out of there. The defensive turrets aren't really covering well, while defenders can just spam grenades down the ramps and build multiple turrets above. Ought to be another route out of spawn there.

I agree with the lack of feedback; it's odd after getting used to the audio/visual cues like in COD:BO and BC2. I've kinda had to train myself to pay attention to the health bar above their heads, and I'll typically try to chase if they're near death and trying to retreat.

As for Container City... yes. Ugh. I agree wholeheartedly. It's absolutely imperative on that map to sprint to the door ASAP to set the charge because otherwise it's nigh impossible to break out of spawn once they control that area. I run with a Light body type and first thing I do always is switch to Soldier (default Operative) and set the charge because I don't trust anyone else to do it.

Top Bottom