• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

thezerofire said:
I can't find people who know how to work together. I'm either always the person doing the primary objective because no one else will, or a medic because no one else will heal/revive anyone. frustrating.
hit me up mang GT: Krugerrand Man

Raide said:
For me it took a little while to remember which class was needed for a certain objective. I am currently levelling up to make my Ninja Medic. :D
it tells you on the select class menu. But there will be people of that class, they just won't do the objective

Raide

thezerofire said:
it tells you on the select class menu. But there will be people of that class, they just won't do the objective

Ohh handy. :D

Yeah, I am sure people are still in CoD mode and have no idea what to do apart from shoot stuff.

Does this have decent controller support on PC? I'm leaning towards the Steam version since I have a feeling the community will last longer but I hate kb/m with a passion.

Raide said:
Ohh handy. :D

Yeah, I am sure people are still in CoD mode and have no idea what to do apart from shoot stuff.
yeah it highlights the main objective class in yellow, and alternative objective classes in blue I think

XeroSauce said:
Look at every big game's online component at launch.

Black Ops was full retard.
MW2 was horrible and P2P broke on the second day.
BC2 Has HORRIBLE EA server connection problems.
Ubisoft's DRM problems
Bioshock 2 and others with their ghastly GFWL and broken Steam support
Medal of Honour...that game was bad, never mind.
Hell, even Portal 2 had messy online for a day or two at launch. Fallout: NV was horrid, Gears was terrible..

It sucks that Brink is the game that reviewers decide to bash on for netcode when things like Black Ops gets 90's everywhere. And I like both games, and review scores are not the end of the scores, but they do directly influence sales. And that hurts Brink's community in the long run for those of us with some patience.

It's what I've been saying all along. gamers and reviewers will give a the big studios/developers a pass for stuff like this (I can count at least a dozen times that EA games have launched on various platforms with online issues out of the box), but the smaller guys, you know the ones wh at try to innovate and experiment with new ideas get raked over the coals. And then gamers complain that ALL we ever get are sequels. The big studios are risk adverse, so the smaller guys try but they don't have the same resources so I TRY my best to cut them slack. I'm not making excuses for them, but I can surely empathize. Now they do need to step it up, but everyone forgets the bigger picture. And this is why games like Call of Duty will continue to suck billions of dollars out of the industry. I'm now saying this is good or bad as that subject is entirely subjective, and the smaller guys need to put forth more effort. But I try to look at this from the bigger picture. Hopefully Splash Damage is on the job and addressing the major concerns.

GuitarAtomik said:
Does this have decent controller support on PC? I'm leaning towards the Steam version since I have a feeling the community will last longer but I hate kb/m with a passion.

It has no controller support at all. There are multiple threads on SD's site and the Bethesda's trying to get to the bottom of this. They've been running around at events for YEARS playing the PC build with pads and now they won't even acknowledge the folks asking for support :/

Twig

Banned
If they do implement controller support for PCs, I hope they put a little marker next to controller users' names, so I know I can't depend on them.

Team Klimt said:
It has no controller support at all. There are multiple threads on SD's site and the Bethesda's trying to get to the bottom of this. They've been running around at events for YEARS playing the PC build with pads and now they won't even acknowledge the folks asking for support :/

:[ Well I don't plan on getting it until this weekend or next week sometime so maybe they'll figure that out by then.

Firebrand said:
Some thoughts after playing some more:

- Maybe it's just my shitty framerate, but I don't feel there's much feedback when shooting someone. I really can't really tell if my shots are connecting or not. Often I'll think I missed, only to look down at the corner of the screen and see that I got a kill or two.

- But when you get shot yourself, you'll feel it: The screen goes black and white, sound gets muted... which makes it really hard to find out who exactly is shooting at you and react accordingly.

- Container City (I think?) has a terrible spawn for attackers. Should they get pushed back to spawn they're not ever coming out of there. The defensive turrets aren't really covering well, while defenders can just spam grenades down the ramps and build multiple turrets above. Ought to be another route out of spawn there.

- The lock on when buffing people on the move can be very disorienting. It'd probably more annoying if buffs could "fail" if they walked out of range though. Also it's kinda funny when you're chasing somebody at twice your normal movement speed.

- Server browser needs some improvements. As far as I know you can't filter out servers that aren't dedicated, or servers that have bots. Maybe this was intentional to "blur the lines between single- and multiplayer," but I don't really want to play on a laggy listen server with bots.

And oh, was there a GAF server in Euroland? I added the server in the OP but it's not responding.

Oh so that's how you do it? I was surprised to find I couldn't change the camera angle after purchasing that skill.

Do you have the ability that puts a yellow mark on the screen when someone aims at you? That is super helpful for me.

I know what you mean about the lock on buff thing. I think it is even worse with picking objectives. I hate how I pan to look at it, I'll be sprinting and pick an objective and the game pans my screen and I run into a wall... annoying.

Twig

Banned
nismogrendel said:
Do you have the ability that puts a yellow mark on the screen when someone aims at you? That is super helpful for me.

I know what you mean about the lock on buff thing. I think it is even worse with picking objectives. I hate how I pan to look at it, I'll be sprinting and pick an objective and the game pans my screen and I run into a wall... annoying.
Yeah, I feel like that is just completely unnecessary. I hate it when it swings the camera all the way around because the buffee moves behind me or when it kills me because I chose a new objective and didn't see the guy coming in front of me.

Team Klimt said:
Either it's a cock up or an example of Developer Dictatorship; ie "You play OUR game the way WE want you. If you don't like it, fuck you, we have your money now. Ha, ha, ha" (actually they should put this in every EULA of every game).
There's too many games coming out based on this attitude and everytime I play one I fall further out of love with gaming. Is choice such a difficult thing to have?

nismogrendel said:

whenever that happens for me I look and no one is there haha

Raide

nismogrendel said:

I am sure you can turn that off in the options.

Zimbardo said:
so Brink just downloaded an update for me ...i don't know what it changed exactly.

Shit is fucked in this map I just played. No objectives on the wheel for either team. Match before this everyone was falling thru floor.

derFeef

Want to play with a friend, but challange and campaign is not possible with 2 players. Jesus.... Server not responding, team full, whatever. :/

WarMacheen

PC BrinkGaf add me on Steam - WarMacheen

I know there's more of you out there besides me that can never make it into the Gaf server because it's full.

soultron

Banned
Raide said:
Is it still ok with 5v5?
Last few games I've played haven't had full teams. Most, if not all, have green bars.

It just lags like a slideshow. I don't understand (p2p lol) why this is a problem when my roommate playing on PC can get in amazingly smooth games with no lag.

I've about had it with piss poor console MP gaming. I ditched PC for this? Fuck my life.

BF3 on PC for me or bust.

Offerizer

Neo Member
Online is fun but runs like crap. 20-30 fps and sound stopped working in my second game. I will play more but I cant play with this kind of performance for a long time.

TheApatheticOne said:
Ive got about 6 characters going (Engineer (my main), OP, and Medic on the rebel side/ Soldier, Medic, OP on the other). Last night, I got a nice chunk of solid lag free games in. The game rocks, it really does. Maybe thats just my opinion, but its refreshing to get a new take on FPS.

The "whether" it sticks depends on whether we can get a group together, because playing with pubs isnt cutting it right now. Im already having "Black Ops Domination" syndrome where Im leading the entire lobby in points, playing pretty damn good, helping everyone, politely pointing out what the enemy is doing, yet Im always on the team getting spanked like a bad child.

If you had a solid group, even classes among the team, and worked together.... this game could be what holds me over until Battefield 3. But barely anyone on the GAF Brink gamertag plays it, so between that and the network issues, getting any teams together so far has been impossible.

Overall, yes, Im enjoying it very much, but my frustration lies within I could be enjoying it even more, way more.

Why do you have 6 separate characters? You dont different characters to have a Medic and OP on both sides.

soultron

Banned
Offerizer said:
Online is fun but runs like crap. 20-30 fps and sound stopped working in my second game. I will play more but I cant play with this kind of performance for a long time.
This is the frustrating thing.

Splash Damage has a great game here, but it just doesn't work properly right now. And the sad thing is that a lot of people are going to pass Brink by if the main draw, the MP, isn't working properly.

I want to see a Brink sequel somewhere down the line (Maybe with some fleshed out SP? The Ark is such a cool setting, but it's a shame it wasn't utilized better in the SP.) but at this rate, I'm not sure we'll get one.

Holding out hope to see sales numbers.

derFeef

Steam Update.
General:
Fixed issues with custom ui_fov settings when playing as a client
Added support for 2560x1440
Slightly improved start up times
Fixed crash when clicking in blank area on Training Videos menu
Fixed memory leaks on shutdown
Fixed Be More Objective leaderboards being incorrectly named

Graphics:
Fixed “texture gridding” issues on certain graphics cards
Fixed settings being incorrectly applied on the advanced video options screen
Improved performance when using Ambient Occlusion
Fixed halos not rendering correctly

AI Bots:
Removed bot intelligence inhibitors for Freeplay games
Adjusted bot behaviour in Campaign games to make teams more evenly matched
Changed bots’ objective priorities across all game modes
Fixed issue with bot difficulty continually dropping

User Interface:
Fixed poor server browser performance for users with a large number of items in their history
Made server browser refreshes much more responsive
Changed server browser to no longer group player counts by max players
Added new pop-up text for server browser filters
Fixed not being able to sort by favourites column
Server browser now retrieves favourites correctly from Steam
Fixed arrow keys not working when exiting out of a chat submenu
Made it easier to select a default secondary weapon
Disabled chat options in solo mode

Dedicated Servers:
Can now use net_ip command to assign IPs to server instances
Dedicated server binary can now be run as a service, which won't have a CSIDL_PERSONAL virtual folder

Firebrand said:
- Container City (I think?) has a terrible spawn for attackers. Should they get pushed back to spawn they're not ever coming out of there. The defensive turrets aren't really covering well, while defenders can just spam grenades down the ramps and build multiple turrets above. Ought to be another route out of spawn there.

I agree with what most of you said, but I had to repeat this one in particular. Ive been on the receiving end of being trapped on the docks, and once they lock that in, I just quit. There REALLY needs to be like, at least two more ways to get out of there. Maybe one to the left and an underground one. The defensive turrets are way too far away to effectively keep the other team off your ass.

Achamian

just played first online game......lagfest slideshow freak match.....loved etqw and this looks like it could be better but seriously sd need to fix their shit up fast or this is gonna bomb.

Biggzy

Can someone please explain to me why this game seems to have a severe lack of polish to it; i mean this game was supposed to have been released this time last year. So they had an extra year to polish this game but it still seems like it needed a couple of more months in the oven.

Teknoman

Game performs a decent amount better, no grid lines confirmed (looks so much better now) = nice first step forward.

One thing about Anti aliasing, is there any way to increase the level a little more than what they've got at the moment? still some odd jaggies in places.

Biggzy said:
Can someone please explain to me why this game seems to have a severe lack of polish to it; i mean this game was supposed to have been released this time last year. So they had an extra year to polish this game but it still seems like it needed a couple of more months in the oven.

I'm speculating here but I'm guessing after a year being delayed Bethesda probably just said "ok that's it, this is getting expensive, we need to get this out."

There were a number of features that I remember reading about in Fragworld's Brink Compendium that ended up getting cut late: 10 vs 16 characters, being able to idle to bots, allowing one character to gain XP for other characters, 58 skills were announced not long before released but it ended up being 52 or whatever it is now, etc...

Can't deny that Splash Damage had really big plans for the game, but in this particular case I think time just ran out for them.

soultron said:
Last few games I've played haven't had full teams. Most, if not all, have green bars.

It just lags like a slideshow. I don't understand (p2p lol) why this is a problem when my roommate playing on PC can get in amazingly smooth games with no lag.

I've about had it with piss poor console MP gaming. I ditched PC for this? Fuck my life.

BF3 on PC for me or bust.

Brink has the worst console netcode of any 360 game I've played. Halo Reach is rock solid for the most part, hell even CoD looks good compared to this.

Nice for Steam users to get an update; does that mean 360 people are next so we can actually play this goddamn game online?

Biggzy

walbertsmith said:
I'm speculating here but I'm guessing after a year being delayed Bethesda probably just said "ok that's it, this is getting expensive, we need to get this out."

There were a number of features that I remember reading about in Fragworld's Brink Compendium that ended up getting cut late: 10 vs 16 characters, being able to idle to bots, allowing one character to gain XP for other characters, 58 skills were announced not long before released but it ended up being 52 or whatever it is now, etc...

Can't deny that Splash Damage had really big plans for the game, but in this particular case I think time just ran out for them.

Don't get me wrong i know that Bethesda were the ones that pushed this game out as it was now or never, since they have rage and skyrim to come out in September and November respectively. But i still feel this game should have been more polished then what it is. I know the game is ambitious and has some cool ideas but it’s not that revolutionary to mean that they couldn’t get the game into a more polished state.

Biggzy

Tworak said:
wow. really surprised and impressed they were able to fix a bunch of the performance issues so fast

Just goes to show you that the game was pushed out of the door. But thankfully SD weren’t resting on their laurels and knew what was wrong with the game and went about fixing them.

Biggzy said:
Don't get me wrong i know that Bethesda were the ones that pushed this game out as it was now or never, since they have rage and skyrim to come out in September and November respectively. But i still feel this game should have been more polished then what it is. I know the game is ambitious and has some cool ideas but it’s not that revolutionary to mean that they couldn’t get the game into a more polished state.

100% agree. First time in pretty much ever I've followed a game so closely for several months and while I still like the game, I do feel at least somewhat disappointed that it released with an alarming lack of polish.

KaYotiX

Banned
360 better get patched soon or im selling it. i love the game and would prolly buy the pc version if its now running good on that platform

I can't believe they havent fixed the sound issue yet. It's most definitely the biggest problem since it happens EVERY time I play multiplayer. What a load of garbage.

Also - sometimes when I can't connect to a server the entire set of multiplayer features gets greyed out and I need to restart the game. And by restart - I mean shut it off and cry about wasting 40$ on a broken game.

Top Bottom