• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Quick FOV questions on the PC:

1. How do you set it?

2. What's recommended for a 16:10 monitor?

Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
CriginsMcJuggs said:
Mother FUCKER i just lost my characters
Thanks for the warning. This was apparently an issue a while back but at least some of the bugs were supposed to be fixed.

Is there any sort of save file you can back up in case you lose your characters? I haven't found one anywhere so far. Or is it forced cloud-sync?

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Blizzard said:
Oh and a map editor, though I imagine there's practically no chance of that getting released. Are you able to say anything in that regard, Deano?
Honestly don't know whether map editor or SDK will be released.

Personally as just another gamer, i'd love to see it if possible, but thats for people way higher up the chain of command than I to decide.

Kyouji

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the warning. This was apparently an issue a while back but at least some of the bugs were supposed to be fixed.

Is there any sort of save file you can back up in case you lose your characters? I haven't found one anywhere so far. Or is it forced cloud-sync?

Can be found in

[Your Drive]:/Steam/userdata/####/22350/remote/

Blizzard

Banned
DeanoCalver said:
Honestly don't know whether map editor or SDK will be released.

Personally as just another gamer, i'd love to see it if possible, but thats for people way higher up the chain of command than I to decide.
I understand. Thanks for the response anyway. :)

Kyouji said:
Can be found in

[Your Drive]:/Steam/userdata/####/22350/remote/
I'm assuming you mean in Program Files (x86), then that path. Unfortunately, those are Steam cloud sync files as far as I know. If the cloud gets corrupted and you restore a backup, does the cloud autosync and overwrite your save again?

Offerizer

Neo Member
I've put 5 hours in and I really like the game (except performance) but I haven't played a close game yet. Seems like one team is always destroying the other. I get the feeling that the defending team wins because people don't really get what they are supposed to do. I'll admit on some maps I'm one of those people...

Kyouji

Blizzard said:
I'm assuming you mean in Program Files (x86), then that path. Unfortunately, those are Steam cloud sync files as far as I know. If the cloud gets corrupted and you restore a backup, does the cloud autosync and overwrite your save again?

Crap, I had no idea. I'm not sure then!

Kyouji said:
Quick FOV questions on the PC:

1. How do you set it?

2. What's recommended for a 16:10 monitor?

Thanks.
*ui_fov xxx, I'd recommend 90-110, see what suits you.

Request to everyone hosting a server: Remove sound bug maps from rotation.

Thank you.

charsace

I would I go about getting a refund? 7 out of 10 games are slideslow trash for me. The game is basically unplayable for me. Great game and all, but the lag is bullshit. I really don't understand how a company that has worked on nothing but multiplayer games could ok this mess for release.

How do I go about getting a refund?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
charsace said:
I would I go about getting a refund? 7 out of 10 games are slideslow trash for me. The game is basically unplayable for me. Great game and all, but the lag is bullshit. I really don't understand how a company that has worked on nothing but multiplayer games could ok this mess for release.

How do I go about getting a refund?

Bwahahaha! Good luck with that.

charsace

Kintaro said:
Either that are a lawsuit. I'm sure there are other 360 players that are getting lag like I am. People usually give refunds if they sell you something broken and the netcode in this game is broken.

I think the game is great, but when I can't even play it I don't care how good it is. All the time they spend making this and the netcode is garbage. There's no single player and there isn't a lot of maps. Is there some reason why they couldn't make sure the netcode actually worked? Once matches have over 6 players there is a high chance that the match will start lagging. This is basically a 3 vs 3 game.

FatalT

Banned
charsace said:
Either that are a lawsuit. I'm sure there are other 360 players that are getting lag like I am. People usually give refunds if they sell you something broken and the netcode in this game is broken.

I think the game is great, but when I can't even play it I don't care how good it is. All the time they spend making this and the netcode is garbage. There's no single player and there isn't a lot of maps. Is there some reason why they couldn't make sure the netcode actually worked? Once matches have over 6 players there is a high chance that the match will start lagging. This is basically a 3 vs 3 game.

XAL

Does anyone have a clue as to when the 360 version is going to be fixed?

The texture pop-in is atrocious (single player, co-op, online). Only things that are in front of you for 4 seconds will load completely. If you're standing still and turn 360 degrees, all of the textures have to load up again... And regardless whether or not the textures are loaded, absolutely everything in the game has no aliasing. I've never seen a game in this generation that has this many jaggies.

And the online...70% of the time it's completely unplayable. Think the worst moments of 56k online gaming and multiply it by 100. The other 30% of the time it's semi-playable, but players still warp around now and then. Worse than COD. Even playing campaign co-op with me and one other person it lags...

All of the footage of the game on 360 leading up to release looked solid, graphics performance-wise. But now that it's out, I'm confused as to how Bethesda allowed this game to be released on console in the sorry state it's in.

They had a patch on day 1 that...well I have no idea what it fixed because the game is still severely broken.

Also, my internet is 20-25mbpsDL, 3-4.5mbpsUL, 9-20ms ping

At this point I want a refund from Bethesda (definitely not going to happen) or I'm going to sell it to CrapStop because just having this game in my house makes me agitated.

From a gameplay perspective this game is pretty good, a ton of potential but the execution is just...there aren't enough words to describe how broken and unpolished it is.

charsace

XAL said:
Does anyone have a clue as to when the 360 version is going to be fixed?

The texture pop-in is atrocious (single player, co-op, online). Only things that are in front of you for 4 seconds will load completely. If you're standing still and turn 360 degrees, all of the textures have to load up again... And regardless whether or not the textures are loaded, absolutely everything in the game has no aliasing. I've never seen a game in this generation that has this many jaggies.

And the online...70% of the time it's completely unplayable. Think the worst moments of 56k online gaming and multiply it by 100. The other 30% of the time it's semi-playable, but players still warp around now and then. Worse than COD. Even playing campaign co-op with me and one other person it lags...

All of the footage of the game on 360 leading up to release looked solid, graphics performance-wise. But now that it's out, I'm confused as to how Bethesda allowed this game to be released on console in the sorry state it's in.

They had a patch on day 1 that...well I have no idea what it fixed because the game is still severely broken.

Also, my internet is 20-25mbpsDL, 3-4.5mbpsUL, 9-20ms ping

At this point I want a refund from Bethesda (definitely not going to happen) or I'm going to sell it to CrapStop because just having this game in my house makes me agitated.

From a gameplay perspective this game is pretty good, a ton of potential but the execution is just...there aren't enough words to describe how broken and unpolished it is.
Don't sell it. I am with you. Maybe we can work together to get more people on board. Full refund or lawsuit is what we should aim for. They have committed fraud IMO. $60 for something that I can't even use the way it should be because its incomplete. You have a lot of people working on this game and not one of them thought that the netcode needed work?

XAL said:
All of the footage of the game on 360 leading up to release looked solid, graphics performance-wise.
Actually there was a ton of pop-in in the 360 footage we saw, whenever "the guy" equipped something (grenades had to load textures etc.) or went around a corner the textures had to load. It really begs the question as to why they even made a 360 version when the engine doesn't run properly without a HDD, with PSN out of action I imagine SD is thinking the same thing.
Phife Dawg said:
Should be ui_fov now with the update?
Hmm? They changed it? Will have a look!

*You're right!

charsace

Danne-Danger said:
Actually there was a ton of pop-in in the 360 footage we saw, whenever "the guy" equipped something (grenades had to load textures etc.) or went around a corner the textures had to load. It really begs the question as to why they even made a 360 version when the engine doesn't run properly without a HDD, with PSN out of action I imagine SD is thinking the same thing.

Hmm? They changed it? Will have a look!
The 360 version is just more unfinished that other versions of the game.

zlatko

Banned
I'm not feeling the PC players behind this game. Nothing but a bunch of douche bags who don't go for objectives, never change class, camp like fucking fiends, and try to spawn camp the other team.

At least when I've had playable games on the 360 people are moving around and swapping around classes to be of some use.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
charsace said:
The 360 version is just more unfinished that other versions of the game.
My brother is playing the 360 version next to my PC version and he is using the HDD, but it looks like a great effort. I haven't seen the PS3 version though. I don't know where is all this FUD against the 360 version coming from.

edit: The lag is there though, and that needs to be fixed.

zlatko

Banned
PC guys what are you using as your controls to play for keyboard controls? I feel like I'm always fighting my keyboard to try to make SMART happen smoothly and intuitively. This game really needs pad support. :(

"I feel like I'm always fighting my keyboard to try to make SMART happen smoothly and intuitively. This game really needs pad support. :("

You just hold down shift, bro.

derFeef

Don't tell me this game aint good. 4am - playing on gaf US server (200 ping) - fighting until the last second..... worth every cent.

zlatko

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I feel like I'm always fighting my keyboard to try to make SMART happen smoothly and intuitively. This game really needs pad support. :("

I've gotten used to constantly sliding around on the 360 version. It just feels uncomfortable to be jamming pinky into shift, pointer onto C, and and trying to use middle on W. Same with chucking grenades on the fly when I'm running and hopping.

I can play Bad Company 2 fine on my PC without any issues, but I'm struggling here on Brink PC to keep moving around and shooting like I do on 360.

I like how Splash Damage can change playlists on the fly with Brink, without requiring a download. Now just give me an advanced big teams playlist, I want some friendly fire on! The free DLC maps is great to hear though, free content is always very much welcome.

Having a ton of fun with Brink though when I am not lagging. Really liking the medic as my class of choice. Haven't really tried the other classes much at all yet, engineer looks to be really solid on defense though. Will play tonight so I will be inviting anyone I see on the 360 Bring GAF tag, if I find a lagless match.

PC guys what are you using as your controls to play for keyboard controls? I feel like I'm always fighting my keyboard to try to make SMART happen smoothly and intuitively. This game really needs pad support. :(

6Nlvx.jpg

The only real gaming keyboard on the market. Sorry guys, having a plain keyboard with backlit keys does not equal to "gaming". Razer, Logitech, etc. you know yourselves.

Sanic

Thanks, i'll have to try that. I haven't messed with rebinding anything yet, wanted to try to get used to default controls first, but i'm thinking crouch/slide will need a change.

BloodySinner said:
6Nlvx.jpg

The only real gaming keyboard on the market. Sorry guys, having a plain keyboard with backlit keys does not equal to "gaming". Razer, Logitech, etc. you know yourselves.

Best not to feed the trolls? I tried that keyboard, it's not that great. It's like the uncle fester of keyboards. The buttons feel terrible, and it's weird having small buttons over there to replace some of their bigger siblings.

Ok this weird the game just went all smooth on me during the 1st mission for the resistance. I have the game installed on my360 and I downloaded the update. There is barely any detail. Itnwas working fine a couple of days ago but it reverted back to how it looked when I first got it. Is this a glitch or do I need to change something.?

Klocker

Raide said:
Ahh I see.

I don't always kill down enemies, or at least not instantly. I like to delay it a bit longer. :D The idea is that once I head online, if you can get someone to hang on for a medic a bit longer and miss the next re-spawn, then that is handy for your team.

Plus wasting bullets on them sucks. I usually use the Pistol+Knife combo.

True but I try to weight the possibility of a medic coming along with 3 buddies, throwing a stimp to two guys and all of a sudden they have 6 guys at the main battle point all at once.

zlatko said:
I've gotten used to constantly sliding around on the 360 version. It just feels uncomfortable to be jamming pinky into shift, pointer onto C, and and trying to use middle on W. Same with chucking grenades on the fly when I'm running and hopping.

I can play Bad Company 2 fine on my PC without any issues, but I'm struggling here on Brink PC to keep moving around and shooting like I do on 360.
Don't use C, never use C. Use CTRL. You need your pointer for strafing!

Anyway, more impressions/opinions!

I fooled around with the heavy some against bots and I really can't see a use for that body type, sure he has more health but he's about as easy to hit as a wall. Add to that the fact that most of the heavy weapons are pretty shit, the GL is especially awful, the Chinzor is alright I guess (though not much better than a drum AR/SMG) and the shotty would've been useful were it not for his movement speed. A lighter class is harder to hit, doesn't have much less HP, smg/ar>heavy weapons, can get to teammates faster, can get to objectives faster etc. I really can't find anything positive about it at all, nor any situation where I'd want to use it.

Another thing I just realized is that this game feels a lot like FEAR MP, sliding, cooking nades with grenade button, the speed of it and the fact that most firefights aren't bunny-hop fests but rather move in, duck and go for the head. They both feel very similar actually, though Brink doesn't have the same insane melee.

Do people not understand multiple people can repair, crack, blow up things? I swear half the time I'm doing an objective only to have the same class just stand right next to me and do nothing.

Teknopathetic said:

This.
It's not rocket science my friend:p Most of us grew up holding shift all day long to walk in cs.

Pc gaming may have a few quirks to it, but a lack of buttons is definitely not one of them.

Anyways: pinky for modifier/sprint/walk depending on game type, thumb for jumping, the other 3 for movement.
Bind each to whatever is most comfortable.

If you are having difficulty with keybinds in shooters then you are doing it wrong, in rts games, rpgs and mmos you usually have 30-50 keybinds (using ctrl alt and shift as modifiers obviously) and having that many still allows for 100+actions per minute.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I really like the parkour challenge. I wish there were a couple more challenge environment and that it was also useful during actual MP. So far I haven't taken advantage of the light body type abilities during MP and I don't see anybody else doing it either.

Sanic

The MG nests are, in a majority of locations, too far away from the intended area they should be shooting into, so i'm finding myself no longer building them. They need to be more accurate.

godhandiscen said:
I really like the parkour challenge. I wish there were a couple more challenge environment and that it was also useful during actual MP. So far I haven't taken advantage of the light body type abilities during MP and I don't see anybody else doing it either.
I've done it quite a bit, there are a lot of spots where the wall jump comes in handy to get to a higher spot or over a gap (also the higher you are the faster you mount etc.). Plus it seems to act like a speed boost if you wall jump in the direction you're going.

Ken

Team Klimt said:
New patches and features incoming and the first round of DLC will be FREE!

Adds a 4x4 human MP mode (to help with lag apparently) as well as a new "Big Team" mode for 8x8 matches through Freeplay.

The first DLC pack will be made free when it releases in June.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/05/13/brink-updates-now-live-free-dlc/
Hard to believe 4v4 won't lag as much when I've gotten slideshow games in a match with only one other human player.

SneakyStephan said:
This.
It's not rocket science my friend:p Most of us grew up holding shift all day long to walk in cs.

Pc gaming may have a few quirks to it, but a lack of buttons is definitely not one of them.

Anyways: pinky for modifier/sprint/walk depending on game type, thumb for jumping, the other 3 for movement.
Bind each to whatever is most comfortable.

If you are having difficulty with keybinds in shooters then you are doing it wrong, in rts games, rpgs and mmos you usually have 30-50 keybinds (using ctrl alt and shift as modifiers obviously) and having that many still allows for 100+actions per minute.
The thing I don't understand is how anyone could have trouble using shift when they're using wsad. The pinky should naturally be resting on the shift key.

zlatko

Banned
CrookedRain said:
The thing I don't understand is how anyone could have trouble using shift when they're using wsad. The pinky should naturally be resting on the shift key.

It's more about needing to remap C to something else, because I constantly want to slide.

Like I said I have no problems playing Bad Company 2. I play a ton of SC2, and I've spent 6 years playing Final Fantasy XI online on PC, as well as probably a year total of WoW.

I'm not a PC gaming god, but I haven't got issues with using a keyboard and mouse to get the job done and play naturally with it. However, after playing Brink for both PC and for 360, it just feels more fluid(to me) to play on pad to get the most out of SMART.

I'll just need to remap some things so I can slide and move around as freely as I was on my pad. :)

I definitely switched c to ctrl for crouch. I am very disappointed in this "c to crouch" trend, tsk, tsk. Slides are a smooth roll from shift to ctrl. One thing I wish was better was crouching after sliding. I use toggle crouch, but if you hold it after sliding he still stands up. Maybe it's different if you use modifier crouch (what I normally use), but I wasn't having issues with toggle anywhere else.

Top Bottom