• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Dress_Code_for_Smart_Casual said:
A smart casual dress code is one that is more relaxed and open for personal expression. This dress code can be found in workplaces where employees need to look professional but are not required to wear suits. Smart casual looks can also be worn to events, on dates and whenever you feel the need to impress. From dress pants to jeans, there are many possiblities for you to explore in this type of apparel.

Guy first guy with just the short sleeve shirt and jeans is probably pushing it, but:
151062-334x500-istocksepy9.jpg
style-smart-casual-fou6ol6.jpg
smart_casualh1oxx.jpg
resserver-php-blogid-3cpot.jpg
imagehandlero2r2o.jpg
4891554-smart-casual-4fomr.jpg
smartcasual_29gpa3.png
6687000pvruf.jpg

This form of dress is much more suitable than a suit in a range of social situations, including many interviews. Part of dressing for an interview is dressing appropriately for the environment you will be working in. You want to show you can fit into their workplace culture. True, a suit will likely not lose you points, but it certainly won't help in many situations. I did myself no favours when by showing up to my TV work experience in a full suit and had to quickly learn to adjust my dressing style quickly.

SKINNER!

Banned
Fucking hell P.O.D at Download. That's actually pretty damn cool

Download is shaping up quite nicely :) I never got into POD back in the day. Kinda like Alien Ant Farm and Wheatus, they had that one song and then faded away. One band you should also check out is Gogol Bordello. They're like this gypsy folk punk band that know how to get a crowd going. Really great to see live.

EDIT: Holy shit, I did not see Europe! yes!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They call wearing a jacket smart casual I call it being practical. Can't understand why people would put things like a wallet in their back trouser pocket where it is just an open invite to thieves.

Still feeling poorly and none the wiser as to what caused it. And all you can do is laze around because you're mind isn't with it. It took far longer to type this post than usual.

Suairyu

Banned
They call wearing a jacket smart casual I call it being practical. Can't understand why people would put things like a wallet in their back trouser pocket where it is just an open invite to thieves.
That's why you put it in your front trouser pocket. Safest place.

Mikeside

I did myself no favours when by showing up to my TV work experience in a full suit and had to quickly learn to adjust my dressing style quickly.

Just because you're wearing a suit to an interview doesn't mean you'd expect to wear it day-to-day at work, though.

I don't wear a suit to work in general, but if I have a meeting or I'm seeing an important customer then I'll suit up - it shows that you have respect for the person or people you're meeting with and it just looks a bit more impressive & serious.

Suairyu

Banned
Just because you're wearing a suit to an interview doesn't mean you'd expect to wear it day-to-day at work, though.

I don't wear a suit to work in general, but if I have a meeting or I'm seeing an important customer then I'll suit up - it shows that you have respect for the person or people you're meeting with and it just looks a bit more impressive & serious.
It was the interview at the beginning of the work experience.

Like I said, you're not likely to make a bad impression from wearing a suit. But real world, day to day, it just isn't culturally true to say the suit is impressive in all situations.

And I certainly wouldn't wear one to an interview at Tescos unless you're going for the corporate/management side of it.

if your not sure just wear shirt tie pants shoes and socks and don't worry about the blazer.
I always hate that look, to be honest. Reminds me of 10 year old kids dressed up smartly by their mothers.

My rule of thumb for "I don't know how smart I should be in this situation" is come in a suit, but with the tie removed. Keep tie in pocket/bag so it can be easily added if suddenly you feel underdressed. Just removing the tie transforms the full suit into something much more relaxed. Keeping the tie but removing the blazer still looks too formal imo

I've always worn a suit to job interviews, even for Tesco/Saintsbury's

Had a lot of interviews and I've only not been offered the job twice

I can beat that, I've never been turned down for a job I've applied for.

Alright Mr Cocky

:p

Fucking hell P.O.D at Download

That's actually pretty damn cool

I know right!

There was nothing cool about P.O.D in the year 2000 when we would mock them mercilessly, and there's nothing cool about them in 2013 :p

Converge are playing download though, YOU MUST GO SEE THEM. If only for the experience of seeing the heaviest band in the world. It's like knives in your eyes.

Fuck you and your hatred Jed. But ok, I'll go see Converge.

Download is shaping up quite nicely :) I never got into POD back in the day. Kinda like Alien Ant Farm and Wheatus, they had that one song and then faded away. One band you should also check out is Gogol Bordello. They're like this gypsy folk punk band that know how to get a crowd going. Really great to see live.

EDIT: Holy shit, I did not see Europe! yes!

You're still coming right?

Chinner

Banned
It was the interview at the beginning of the work experience.

Like I said, you're not likely to make a bad impression from wearing a suit. But real world, day to day, it just isn't culturally true to say the suit is impressive in all situations.

And I certainly wouldn't wear one to an interview at Tescos unless you're going for the corporate/management side of it.

I always hate that look, to be honest. Reminds me of 10 year old kids dressed up smartly by their mothers.

My rule of thumb for "I don't know how smart I should be in this situation" is come in a suit, but with the tie removed. Keep tie in pocket/bag so it can be easily added if suddenly you feel underdressed. Just removing the tie transforms the full suit into something much more relaxed. Keeping the tie but removing the blazer still looks too formal imo

well i usually put a jumper on and possibly remove the tie, but yeah ur just trying to dress like george clooney.

SKINNER!

Banned
You're still coming right?

Sure am. Picking up my ticket next month and heading down on the Thursday assuming they don't get sold out. I got Megadeth followed by The Who and then Download festival in June. Crazy month. Come to think of it, I think I already said I was going to pick it up but just didn't get round to doing it. Gotta sort out my priorities.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fuck you and your hatred Jed. But ok, I'll go see Converge.

s'alright, they'll totally forgive me.

But yes, see Converge. OMG so jealous that you people get to see them... :(

I was looking at the bill for download the other day with my lil cuz who's going. Came to the conclusion that I would be reeeeal busy in the start of the day, stopping at about 5pm for all night drinking when the good bands finish :p How fucking far down the bill do they have to put Mastodon ffs?

against my better judgement because im a fool, i would suggest you ebay some of them and see how much you can get. depending on the game you could probably get £5-10 per game depending on demand etc.

where abouts in devon u live.

I couldn't find it in the end. Think I may have lent it to Selfish Pizza years ago and like the thieving fuck that he is, he never gave it back. Never trust a ginger.

Managed to find a few others (Pokemon Ruby, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Golden Sun and a few others that I can't recall).

f0rk

If any of you guys are looking for a business opportunity import some naked and famous denim bitches be thirsty for it but you can't get it here. Get on it phisheep

SKINNER!

Banned
Edinburgh GAF, has a Krispy Kreme recently opened over there? Got folk complaining about long queues for a doughnut. Strange considering how bland they are.

The only time I wore a suit to work was the day me and a few other munchkins decided to come in as dressed up as we could and not tell anyone why. I wore my three piece. Otherwise, I wear shorts and flip flops (because they are fun to wear) from April - September and jeans, jumper and trainers the rest of the time.

Media wankers

Selfish Pizza

Neo Member
I couldn't find it in the end. Think I may have lent it to Selfish Pizza years ago and like the thieving fuck that he is, he never gave it back. Never trust a ginger.

Managed to find a few others (Pokemon Ruby, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Golden Sun and a few others that I can't recall).

I don't know what you're talking about.

... and I'm not ginger!

Hystzen

Sure am. Picking up my ticket next month and heading down on the Thursday assuming they don't get sold out. I got Megadeth followed by The Who and then Download festival in June. Crazy month. Come to think of it, I think I already said I was going to pick it up but just didn't get round to doing it. Gotta sort out my priorities.

Download has given me Dir En Grey as the first band seeing this year at the festival im so ready now

Might go into a coma so it comes faster

Mikeside

I tried to subtly rustle up a cheeky smoke at the train station when I got back to ash vale but it was ropey as fuck and on top of that, as soon as I took my first toke I threw up all over the road.

Winning.

I don't know how obvious it was that I was fairly wasted as I didn't feel that drunk until I left the venue and got on the tube. I'm sure there were some misread signals with a girl I was staring at - I thought she was staring longingly back until another girl put her arm around her and they kissed. I'm fairly sure I audibly sighed at that point, but again - fairly wasted so it might just be paranoia.

My Mad Fat Diary Season Finale

Mad%20Fat%20Teenage%20Diary%20Genericmidres_A2.jpg

Who is cutting up onions here?! This is a great show. Raw, honest, and important. The attention between the mental hospital and real world is handled so well. I love hand drawing and sketch stuff in teen movies/tv shows that give a personal view into a person's psyche. The 90s nostalgia (Prodigy, Spaceman, Beastie Boys, Smiths, Oasis), helps, too. Sharon Rooney is fantastic.

Good to hear it's getting a second season.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I hear that show is good but those kids look nothing like they're from the 90s, which is interesting since I'm getting to the age where I can correct nostalgia. Look at that buttony t-shirt thing the handsome guy is wearing. We did not have those in the 90s. And I saw an advert with a girl wearing short shorts. I don't think I ever saw that in the 90s either.

Kid were way skankier and not as cool back then.

My mad, fat friend swears by the show though, so I guess at least it's accurate.

I tried to subtly rustle up a cheeky smoke at the train station when I got back to ash vale but it was ropey as fuck and on top of that, as soon as I took my first toke I threw up all over the road.

Winning.

I don't know how obvious it was that I was fairly wasted as I didn't feel that drunk until I left the venue and got on the tube. I'm sure there were some misread signals with a girl I was staring at - I thought she was staring longingly back until another girl put her arm around her and they kissed. I'm fairly sure I audibly sighed at that point, but again - fairly wasted so it might just be paranoia.

lol classy :D the one time a cheeky smoke seems like a great idea is when you're hammered and will chunder quicksharp. I once passed out in someone's garden doing similar. You didn't seem that hammered in the venue though, must be that fresh air kicking in.

I can just see you doing the dejected sigh though, awww bless. Next time you should send that Cow-dude a PM for some sympathy :p

Mikeside

lol classy :D the one time a cheeky smoke seems like a great idea is when you're hammered and will chunder quicksharp. I once passed out in someone's garden doing similar. You didn't seem that hammered in the venue though, must be that fresh air kicking in.

I can just see you doing the dejected sigh though, awww bless. Next time you should send that Cow-dude a PM for some sympathy :p

Oh lordy, that guy needs to get the fuck over it.
Such a shame so many people wallow in their own emotional funk without the perspective to rise above it.

I mean, as a teenager that was me all over, but it does annoy/upset me a little to see so many people refusing to take any advice on the matter & just using it as emotional blackmail to get internet attention.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh lordy, that guy needs to get the fuck over it.
Such a shame so many people wallow in their own emotional funk without the perspective to rise above it.

I mean, as a teenager that was me all over, but it does annoy/upset me a little to see so many people refusing to take any advice on the matter & just using it as emotional blackmail to get internet attention.

Exactly. I got over that at about age 16 when I realised people like interesting or happy people more than depressive self pitying people. Even being a fattie barely gets to be these days. I am who I am. And who I am is pretty damn good.

Mikeside

Exactly. I got over that at about age 16 when I realised people like interesting or happy people more than depressive self pitying people. Even being a fattie barely gets to be these days. I am who I am. And who I am is pretty damn good.

It took me a little longer than that - in 6th form I was the self-deprecating 'depressed' one. Unfortunately I got a lot of attention for it & it made me feel really popular in a weird way.

It's not until I went to college at 19 & decided I didn't want to be that guy anymore that things changed. One small decision and pretty much instantly I was comfortable and happy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It took me a little longer than that - in 6th form I was the self-deprecating 'depressed' one. Unfortunately I got a lot of attention for it & it made me feel really popular in a weird way.

It's not until I went to college at 19 & decided I didn't want to be that guy anymore that things changed. One small decision and pretty much instantly I was comfortable and happy.

Way to go lil sad Mike :) I do actually think a lot of the time it IS a decision too. I remember being super depressed and I think I actually liked it a bit. It's comforting and lazy, like staying in a duvet. Much more dangerous and exciting to really lay your emotions out there, good and bad. I think most of it comes from self-consciousness, and that's something that really only seems to go away when you have more interesting things to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom