• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirlond

PUPPIES

ghXKaND.jpg

Hi GAF, I'm new.

Where do you live: Preston
Where are you from: Preston
University: Nope.
Sports of choice: Football, Preston North End.
Current political party of choice: Eh, none of 'em. Labour if I had to pick.
CBBC or CITV: Whichever had Pokémon. CITV, right?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

D.AWWWW!

Hi GAF, I'm new.

Where do you live: Preston
Where are you from: Preston
University: Nope.
Sports of choice: Football, Preston North End.
Current political party of choice: Eh, none of 'em. Labour if I had to pick.
CBBC or CITV: Whichever had Pokémon. CITV, right?

Greetings! Where is Preston? Please stick around and get involved in discussion if you fancy it, the topics change quite frequently but its fun getting involved! Everyone's very friendly here :D Apart from Chinner

noffles

Banned
Morning noffles, why you up so early?

Sleeping pattern is broken. I have a lecture at 11 anyway so it's not all that bad. Read Macbeth years and years ago and nobody ever forgets Macbeth, so I'm going to just read some of the further readings I've been given in my module guide for now, I guess.

Also, I hurt my knee and it fucking hurts to bend my leg.

Rubbish King

Sleeping pattern is broken. I have a lecture at 11 anyway so it's not all that bad. Read Macbeth years and years ago and nobody ever forgets Macbeth, so I'm going to just read some of the further readings I've been given in my module guide for now, I guess.

Also, I hurt my knee and it fucking hurts to bend my leg.

i see...

How did you hurt your knee?

Mikeside

New episode of Girls was a bit crap last night, but the new Walking Dead more than made up for it.

Onto day 2 of this stupid course. Pleasebelessconfusingtodaypleasebelessconfusingtodaypleasebelessconfusingtodayplease...

Suairyu

Banned
I'm going to make a confession here, because when actually discussing in Gaming Side I feel compelled to stand up for intelligence:

I'm quite looking forward to playing the new game called Tomb Raider once it hits £7.50 Steam sale or whatever.

I just wish I was looking forward to an actual new Tomb Raider with non-linearity and actual exploration and stuff.

Rubbish King

I'm going to make a confession here, because when actually discussing in Gaming Side I feel compelled to stand up for intelligence:

I'm quite looking forward to playing the new game called Tomb Raider once it hits £7.50 Steam sale or whatever.

I just wish I was looking forward to an actual new Tomb Raider with non-linearity and actual exploration and stuff.

I enjoy linearity in games, sandbox's are cool too

But after watching footage of the game, im happy to say i like the way it looks...
I dont think tomb raider would suit the other way, although a cool idea

Hmm i think im actually in the mood to play video games today

Suairyu

Banned
I enjoy linearity in games, sandbox's are cool too

But after watching footage of the game, im happy to say i like the way it looks...
I dont think tomb raider would suit the other way, although a cool idea

Hmm i think im actually in the mood to play video games today
It's not like you're linear or a sandbox, bro.

I mean, check out the original Tomb Raiders, or Anniversary and Underworld. Those are are linear in the sense there is a start and end point of each level, but they're not MODERN BLOCKBUSTER GAMING linear and require thought and exploration and stuffs.

noffles

Banned
I'm kind of bored of Uncharted style games, to be honest. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't really explore the Ps2 library, because action games like MGR are welcoming breaths of fresh air for me. Never really bothered with the genre.

Still waiting for the 3D platformer to emerge out of obscurity/nintendoland so that games can be the best thing ever again.

Rubbish King

It's not like you're linear or a sandbox, bro.

I mean, check out the original Tomb Raiders, or Anniversary and Underworld. Those are are linear in the sense there is a start and end point of each level, but they're not MODERN BLOCKBUSTER GAMING linear and require thought and exploration and stuffs.

Tru dat

I do feel like its more...interactive story telling these days, but i honestly dont mind that in some cases...

Seriously what the fuck is spartacus about

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
New episode of Girls was a bit crap last night, but the new Walking Dead more than made up for it.

Onto day 2 of this stupid course. Pleasebelessconfusingtodaypleasebelessconfusingtodaypleasebelessconfusingtodayplease...

Is the new episode of WD ep 11 or 10? I'm having trouble finding it through my usual avenues...

Suairyu

Banned
Less guns, more exploration

Jon Blow's The Witness for GOTG

Bring back Myst

BUT ALSO

If you want pretend you have a story about a vulnerable girl, make an actual Tomb Raider game - lots of exploring and survival, minimal amounts of shooting. Right now the game looks like

*QTE CUTSCENE RAPE*
*GAMEPLAY BANG BANG SHOOTBANG MURDER PEOPLE*
*CUTSCENE CRYING HOW KILLING IS HORRIBLE*
*CUTSCENE HAVE SHAKES BECAUSE BLOOD EVERYWHERE*

and so on.

Gametrailers review is excellent in pointing this stuff out. There's one scene where Lara takes down an entire squad with an axe and shit, and then all her friends are cheering her on and going "WOW LARA THAT WAS SO BADASS AND COOL" and applauding and she's all shaken up because murder is wrong but then it's right back to taking the lives of people with families for entertainment value again.

You can have a violent shootbang game or you can have an introspective don't like killing people but does it to survive game. You can't have both.

It's a narrative dishonesty to the level that I can safely make the statement that Metal Gear Rising has a more artistically accomplished level of storytelling.

I'm still going to enjoy it on the cheap because I can turn my brain off to such glaring flaws and stuff. I just don't want to defend it.

noffles

Banned
I'm not dipping into Tomb Raider until there's a demo out so I can try it for myself. I forget if it was at Eurogamer last year, but if was is I avoided it because of insane queues. Same goes for Rising, funnily enough.

Not even sure what games I want this year, honestly. After Infinite, it's pretty much just 3DS/Wii U games + Last of Us that I'm after.

Also, I cannot trade in games. I'm hoarding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom