• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

I'm sure you'll be of some help. had my gf look over Selfish pizza's profile and standard message he spams out.

I really want to see his standard message - I try to send a personal one each time but that gets a bit annoying when so many don't get responded to.
Its also quite a small pool of girls available without messaging girls from London which is a shame

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I listened to that last night on the Mills podcast. Oh god it was painfully cringeworthy and I was burying my head, but so incredibly funny as well. Amazing.

I think when you watch it without the commentary from ol' millsy and see the body language it's only the first 20 seconds that are actually painful

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
10 minutes into that speed dating video and I've paused it because it looks like things are getting really awkward. Does it get worse?

Mikeside

Well you can't have her. She's mine.

I'd love to have your balls, the thought of doing something like speed dating completely terrifies me

I'm starting to worry about meeting you.

But seriously, it's not about having balls - meeting girls is far less terrifying when you realize that yes, they're girls, but in a way... they're people too (I MEAN THIS JOKINGLY, WHITE KNIGHT GAF)

Especially in a speed-dating scenario, they're going to be just as nervous are the guys, if not more so.

10 minutes into that speed dating video and I've paused it because it looks like things are getting really awkward. Does it get worse?

I didn't think it was really all that awkward... the meeting his parents bit is a little cringey but he seems like a fairly rounded, likeable guy and he gets on well with both of the girls.

Daww, nice story.
Bastard.

Rubbish King

It has a kinda happy ending bro
I'm starting to worry about meeting you.

But seriously, it's not about having balls - meeting girls is far less terrifying when you realize that yes, they're girls, but in a way... they're people too (I MEAN THIS JOKINGLY, WHITE KNIGHT GAF)

Especially in a speed-dating scenario, they're going to be just as nervous are the guys, if not more so.

I didn't think it was really all that awkward... the meeting his parents bit is a little cringey but he seems like a fairly rounded, likeable guy and he gets on well with both of the girls.

Daww, nice story.
Bastard.

Yeah..I've never been into serious dating or anything, I just sometimes meet a girl and we have fun for a few weeks/months...one of us freaks out and so we leave it....

I've never had a proper girlfriend... Just messing around I guess...

EDIT: and you should be worried about the meetup, im practising my panda seduction techniques

Thought you were talking about that Geek Love speed dating thing at Comic-con. Oh man, hilarious, but definitely cringeworthy a lot of the times.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OK I watched the rest and OMG the parents are super embarrassing. What were they thinking with the party food. Even I know paper party plates would be an instant turnoff.

But after that it was fine. In my opinion he seemed more comfortable with the Dr Who lass, but could be because she seemed more comfortable. The first lass may potentially be the better match but was just a bit too nervous on the first date. Well these things don't happen over night.

Rubbish King

Lad Bombs sounds fucking brutal.

Im thinking about investigating them

OK I watched the rest and OMG the parents are super embarrassing. What were they thinking with the party food. Even I know paper party plates would be an instant turnoff.

But after that it was fine. In my opinion he seemed more comfortable with the Dr Who lass, but could be because she seemed more comfortable. The first lass may potentially be the better match but was just a bit too nervous on the first date. Well these things don't happen over night.

Ofcourse he did!
Could you not see the disappointment when that girl ran over to him!

noffles

Banned
Is there something about reality tv that makes people act and talk is such a way. Like no matter the subject matter or who is on it, they always talk and act in the same way.

I guess the editing doesn't help.

It's the Hawthorne effect.

Mikeside

I couldn't shake the feeling that the first girl was the type who would call herself a Girl Gamer (TM) and seemed a bit fake. I'd still give her a chance, she seemed nice, if not entirely genuine

The other girls seemed lovely.

ARMCHAIR JUDGEMENT.

The bit about wanting to be in shape beforehand echoes my concerns from ages back, heh. Got worried I'll be the only stocky fella there. Still, finally getting around to it will be good.

I'm one of the smallest guys muscle wise in the free weights area at my gym, and it doesn't phase me. You realise after going a few times that even the guy squatting 180kg like it ain't no thing doesn't really care what you are doing, nor anyone else for that matter- their focus is solely on their lifts and gains. Everyone there knows you must begin somewhere. You might encounter a few funny people, but I'd be amazed if they made any comments.

Your interaction with other people will amount to asking about how many sets people have left, or if you can alternate using a bench or weight with them.

If people offer you advice, especially dudebro types in the video, just take it with a pinch of salt and research what they said online before using it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think what one should remember if that you are all there to get fit so why should they judge you negatively for that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm one of the smallest guys muscle wise in the free weights area at my gym, and it doesn't phase me. You realise after going a few times that even the guy squatting 180kg like it ain't no thing doesn't really care what you are doing, nor anyone else for that matter- their focus is solely on their lifts and gains. Everyone there knows you must begin somewhere. You might encounter a few funny people, but I'd be amazed if they made any comments.

Your interaction with other people will amount to asking about how many sets people have left, or if you can alternate using a bench or weight with them.

If people offer you advice, especially dudebro types in the video, just take it with a pinch of salt and research what they said online before using it.

You say this but as a judgey mcjudgerson whenever I'm in the gym my inner monologue is all "look at that fat fuck who does that guy think he is with his hair gel and biceps omg that girl is so hot i wonder if i can get behind her while shes on the crosstrainer oh shit whats that smell was it that fat fuck from earlier whats up with those trousers did he come from the 80s this music is shit she's hot for an old bird"

noffles

Banned
It's sunny as fuck out today. Some guy is outside my building playing Creep on a guitar and has amassed quite the crowd of people.

Also, I joined the gym. I have an induction session tomorrow at 1:30. I am scared.

Eeeeee(k).

A pretty big (for me) project I was commissioned to do for a big app has started its live rollout. I'm all nervous. It's a mixture of pride in getting it done mixed with DREAD AND FEAR that it's all gone wrong.

(Will say what it is when it's fully rolled out).

You say this but as a judgey mcjudgerson whenever I'm in the gym my inner monologue is all "look at that fat fuck who does that guy think he is with his hair gel and biceps omg that girl is so hot i wonder if i can get behind her while shes on the crosstrainer oh shit whats that smell was it that fat fuck from earlier whats up with those trousers did he come from the 80s this music is shit she's hot for an old bird"

Everyone looks at the talent.
Everyone notices a overweight person.
Everyone smells a sweaty bastard.

I don't pay any heed to them though after that (except the practically naked women in yoga pants). All about me and what I achieve in the two hours there.

And I bet you wouldn't say any of those things to those people?

Rubbish King

I thought I was mad....Halo Later? :D
It's sunny as fuck out today. Some guy is outside my building playing Creep on a guitar and has amassed quite the crowd of people.

Also, I joined the gym. I have an induction session tomorrow at 1:30. I am scared.
Take a pic or video

Also....dont be scared :) They're going to be nice and shit, just make sure you dont chicken out and make sure you dont chicken out on the weights, they be daunting if you've never done them

I got so freaked out I ended up sticking to cardio...which i hated...and then i only went like 3 more times... Then my mum went up and cancelled my membership for me

WOW THAT'S TRAGIC

Take a pic or video

Also....dont be scared :) They're going to be nice and shit, just make sure you dont chicken out and make sure you dont chicken out on the weights, they be daunting if you've never done them

I got so freaked out I ended up sticking to cardio...which i hated...and then i only went like 3 more times... Then my mum went up and cancelled my membership for me

WOW THAT'S TRAGIC

LOL

Fucking inductions are generally useless. Here's how to use 20 different machines in 30 minutes. Here's how to use the treadmill, and the bike, and the rowing machine.
Now lets look at the free weights area.......literally just look. Done. Bye.

Mikeside

Take a pic or video

WOW THAT'S TRAGIC

That's Our Tashbrooke.

noffles

Banned
Fucking inductions are generally useless. Here's how to use 20 different machines in 30 minutes. Here's how to use the treadmill, and the bike, and the rowing machine.

Well, I need to do it. My friend booked one for today and she's there now.

She's getting the lay of the land so I don't make an arse of myself tomorrow or something.

You may think that for a split second or so but you don't say it out loud and then get on with what you're doing.

I'm sticking to cardio for a while. I want to get confident in that environment before I go onto weights.

Then you'll be building up the weights into an even bigger 'thing'. Get on them from your first visit.

LOL

We had inductions for our gym at work here as well. So dumb considering it was exactly what you said. Dumbells there, punching bag there, pull up bars there, silly shake plate machine there, put shit away when you're done, etc. :S All they need to ask is, "do you even lift, bro?" If yes, handle business. If not, induction. xD

Well, I need to do it. My friend booked one for today and she's there now.

She's getting the lay of the land so I don't make an arse of myself tomorrow or something.

Oh yeah you have to do one. It might be a legal requirement or something. It just annoys me that at my gym you had to go there, get very little out of it, and then I couldn't even use the gym for 24 hours even though I was there in clothes to work out.

You may think that for a split second or so but you don't say it out loud and then get on with what you're doing.

Then you'll be building up the weights into an even bigger 'thing'. Get on them from your first visit.

This. Don't put it off. Ask the fitness thread where to start. Go in with a list of exercises to do helps a lot. I can send you mine, but I doubt it would be approved by the people super into it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel like the gym is overkill for what most people starting off could benefit from just by running outside for free and doing stuff like push-ups and sit-ups within their own home. Once you hit your stride and your cardio endurance hits a plateau from that, then I would start looking at what a gym could offer.

I'm no fitness expert, that just seems like the most logical progression to me. It mostly just depends on what your end goal is.

f0rk

I feel like the gym is overkill for what most people starting off could benefit from just by running outside for free and doing stuff like push-ups and sit-ups within their own home. Once you hit your stride and your cardio endurance hits a plateau from that, then I would start looking at what a gym could offer.

I'm no fitness expert, that just seems like the most logical progression to me. It mostly just depends on what your end goal is.

That's what I'm going to try when I'm done with uni. I've noticed an improvement just from pushups. What cardio stuff do you do in a gym?

noffles

Banned

uni gym is free so i give no shits what-so-ever

Plus it gives incentive. I've tried running in the mornings, but I just stopped. I might do that just to warm up before I go to the gym, but that's about it.

I agree to a point- how useful a gym is depends on your goals, finances, time, etc.

For me a gym keeps things focused. By being there at the gym means that it is time for me to dig deep and push myself- my mentality changes by being there. The atmosphere and seeing guys and girls built like brick shit houses is a great motivator to me. Of course with weights training it's essential, a home gym just is out of the question, and I don't have the self motivation to do training like Charles Bronson. Same with cardio- I'd last a week going for a jog outside the gym. Doing it there means I actually do it, and makes things much more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom