• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Mikeside

The one I really hate on girls is anything with the front looking even remotely like this:

olivia-wilde-2004%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Ugh.

That's fresh coming from a user that casually threw around an anti-semitic slur to describe video games like it ain't no thang.

you can't just tease me with information like that and not quote! I need to know more!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Longest my hair was was just above the shoulders. That was after a year of letting it grow so I concluded my hair grows extremely slowly.

Mikeside

He misspelled "like" as "kike". Come on "Mike"

Until I googled that I had no idea what it was. Go figure. You're a horrible racist, Kentpaul :p Hurry up and write that autobiography.

NaNoWriMo must be breaking his brain. How many words you done now Mike?

Not enough. :(
My problem is like I said earlier in the thread - I care too much about the story I'm writing. I think I'm going to restart on Saturday and try to crack out something with less planning.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Until I googled that I had no idea what it was. Go figure. You're a horrible racist, Kentpaul :p Hurry up and write that autobiography.

Not enough. :(
My problem is like I said earlier in the thread - I care too much about the story I'm writing. I think I'm going to restart on Saturday and try to crack out something with less planning.

Nooooo!! For the love of god don't restart! IMO, if you're going to say 'fuck it' for the story you care about (which is the right idea I think, come back to it later) then you should simply use what you've done and go hog wild with it. Think of it as a test run for when you do it for real, but don't worry about it having any kind of internal consistency or real arc. It's all about the words. Allegorise your life, take whatever's on your mind that day and weave it into the story. Kill some characters, introduce some new ones. Break some rules! Fuck, if you want to start again, just have a new character wake up and go "that was a crazy dream, now let me have sex with this twelve titted penguin sheep" which you then describe in exacting detail..

It's all about getting words on the page which will in turn fire up the writerly parts of your brain. There is no wasted writing (apart from forums maybe :p), and especially with NaNo they joy is in entertaining yourself. I won't let anyone read my second NaNovel especially, it's terrible.

I...disagree. Alternative/unusually coloured hairdstyles are pretty intriguing.

I don't really dig that quiff style but I do super dig weird colours. Aw yeah Ramona Flowers

Mikeside

I get what you're saying, but I'm finding it hard to pump words out and not care about the quality because it's been on my mind for so long
I'm at less than 3000 words, so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to restart with a fresh idea and fresh enthusiasm.

I like the IDEA of interesting colours for hair, but it always ends up looking washed out and thus uninteresting to me. Bright red/blue/green hair I think would look great, but the disgusting purple wash/red wash/blue wash that you usually end up seeing looks terrible to me.

Darren870

I think the colors look good if the girls can keep up with it. Problem is its a pain in the ass and most don't so you get the washed out look.

Plus its prob not good for the hair for the long term.

This is interesting information, seems your style defines the type of guy that would hit on you.

Good to know how I can avoid particular types of guys hitting on me just by styling my hair different.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Carnival day today.

If you're not familiar with the Somerset Carnivals you have missed a treat. Biggest illuminated carnival in the world, and been going for around 400 years. Check out some pics here. It really is spectacular.

We're expecting around 200 coaches to turn up from about noon onwards, and every parking space/verge/spare bit of grass within two miles will be occupied. Should be damn good for trade.

But at the moment, it is spookily like a ghost town or the beginning part of High Noon. More policemen/horses than people, locals not going anywhere for fear of not being able to park when they get back, traders conspiring over breakfast in the corner restaurant, seafront locked down and deserted ready to take the coaches. Restaurants taking double-deliveries of potatoes so they don't run out.

The clock, though, is ticking away ... it's all rather exciting.

Awesome stuff Phisheep, hope you make a killing.

In other news, I just found out that 2 of the girls I work with don't believe in evolution. They're both Muslim, so this obviously ties in with their faith. One of them I can understand it, she's a bit, shall we say 'naive' (read as 'stupid'). But the other is pretty intelligent, and has her head screwed on, and I honestly would have thought that she wouldn't have let her faith skew her reasoning when scientific fact is involved. Huh. I'm bemused.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Awesome stuff Phisheep, hope you make a killing.

In other news, I just found out that 2 of the girls I work with don't believe in evolution. They're both Muslim, so this obviously ties in with their faith. One of them I can understand it, she's a bit, shall we say 'naive' (read as 'stupid'). But the other is pretty intelligent, and has her head screwed on, and I honestly would have thought that she wouldn't have let her faith skew her reasoning when scientific fact is involved. Huh. I'm bemused.

Evolution isn't all that easy to get your head around, particularly if you're not from a background that assumes it is true to start with. I didn't really consider evolution until my mid-twenties (despite studying in the same building as Richard Dawkins) and didn't get my head properly around it until I was 30-something.

That's different from outright rejecting it of course, but I've every respect for anybody who because of background, religion, education or general lack of knowledge/understanding doesn't grasp evolution. Seems a perfectly reasonable stance to me. After all, it isn't like whatever theory of the origin of species you carry round has any particular relevance to daily life mostly.

In the same vein, I don't have a great deal of respect for those who espouse evolution without even understanding it - seems to me they are in the same boat as most of the religionists they profess to despise.

It isn't a creation/evolution thing, it is an understanding/not understanding thing - and it isn't as if we should demand or even expect everybody to have a stance on it, as it may not be all that far up their priority list compared with, say, making money, playing music, repairing cars and all the other useful things that go to make up life as we know it.

Mikeside

It's her faith, though.

To somebody like myself, there's no disputing evolution - it's obvious scientific fact.
But to somebody who has grown up believing in something else, that's not such an easy pill to swallow.

You're not just asking her to believe in evolution, you're asking her to question the way she perceives reality.

Edit:

And yes, to even consider whether evolution could be possible or not, you have to look at the world in grander terms than the day-to-day view many people have of the world as it relates to themselves. Evolution isn't something you can see happening until you look for evidence and put your mind to analysing it. Even then, I can see why people would struggle to believe that something as insanely complex and incredibly designed as a digestive system, a respiratory system, skin tissue, an ankle, etc etc could be a product of evolution rather than an intentional design. It's hard stuff to comprehend.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Evolution isn't all that easy to get your head around, particularly if you're not from a background that assumes it is true to start with. I didn't really consider evolution until my mid-twenties (despite studying in the same building as Richard Dawkins) and didn't get my head properly around it until I was 30-something.

That's different from outright rejecting it of course, but I've every respect for anybody who because of background, religion, education or general lack of knowledge/understanding doesn't grasp evolution. Seems a perfectly reasonable stance to me. After all, it isn't like whatever theory of the origin of species you carry round has any particular relevance to daily life mostly.

In the same vein, I don't have a great deal of respect for those who espouse evolution without even understanding it - seems to me they are in the same boat as most of the religionists they profess to despise.

It isn't a creation/evolution thing, it is an understanding/not understanding thing - and it isn't as if we should demand or even expect everybody to have a stance on it, as it may not be all that far up their priority list compared with, say, making money, playing music, repairing cars and all the other useful things that go to make up life as we know it.

I guess we all put our faith in something don't we? I choose science with the scores of the greatest minds on our planet put to work trying to figure out how we got here over faith in religion.

I won't pretend I totally understand evolution, but the idea of gradual generational iteration makes a lot of sense logically. Far more so than 'because God did it' which I don't think is any kind of answer. It feels like religion is a crutch for people that don't want to think about the world and how it got like this. I think the billions of years of the universe ending up with us is a lot more awe inspiring than even the concept of a God.

IMO refuting ideas like evolution and science's understanding of the world in favour of an unquestioning religious framework is, to me, either willfully wallowing in cognitive dissonance or just being a bit dim.

I agree that of course these things don't usually have much impact on our lives as we lead them, but I do think that there is a massive difference between the very religious and the seculars/atheists in how we see and experience the world.

Basically, if you don't believe in evolution, I have some very interesting time share opportunities you may be interested in...

Mikeside

I guess we all put our faith in something don't we? I choose science with the scores of the greatest minds on our planet put to work trying to figure out how we got here over faith in religion.

I won't pretend I totally understand evolution, but the idea of gradual generational iteration makes a lot of sense logically. Far more so than 'because God did it' which I don't think is any kind of answer. It feels like religion is a crutch for people that don't want to think about the world and how it got like this. I think the billions of years of the universe ending up with us is a lot more awe inspiring than even the concept of a God.

IMO refuting ideas like evolution and science's understanding of the world in favour of an unquestioning religious framework is, to me, either willfully wallowing in cognitive dissonance or just being a bit dim.

I agree that of course these things don't usually have much impact on our lives as we lead them, but I do think that there is a massive difference between the very religious and the seculars/atheists in how we see and experience the world.

Basically, if you don't believe in evolution, I have some very interesting time share opportunities you may be interested in...

Can you really blame people for finding it hard to shake a set of beliefs they've had instilled in them since birth?

I'd give anything I have or anything that I am for the ability to believe that there's something for me to experience once I'm at the end of this life. Not having a belief in anythnig beyond is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced and it's something I (and everyone who shares my scientific view of the universe and our place in it) has to live with every day. We're going to die and that will be an end to every experience we have. We're approaching personal oblivion at varying rates with no chance of redemption or recovery.

Now imagine for a second that you believe in reincarnation, the afterlife or any alternative to a total end of your life. Losing that belief means subscribing to the most terrifying and defining part of the human condition. Once you start questioning the base stuff like evolution, it's very easy for the walls to come crumbling down and pretty soon you believe in nothing. I think subconciously a lot of people know that, so they don't let themselves really question their beliefs and I absolutely don't blame them one bit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can you really blame people for finding it hard to shake a set of beliefs they've had instilled in them since birth?

I'd give anything I have or anything that I am for the ability to believe that there's something for me to experience once I'm at the end of this life. Not having a belief in anythnig beyond is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced and it's something I (and everyone who shares my scientific view of the universe and our place in it) has to live with every day. We're going to die and that will be an end to every experience we have. We're approaching personal oblivion at varying rates with no chance of redemption or recovery.

Now imagine for a second that you believe in reincarnation, the afterlife or any alternative to a total end of your life. Losing that belief means subscribing to the most terrifying and defining part of the human condition. Once you start questioning the base stuff like evolution, it's very easy for the walls to come crumbling down and pretty soon you believe in nothing. I think subconciously a lot of people know that, so they don't let themselves really question their beliefs and I absolutely don't blame them one bit.

Kinda, yeah. Most of us in this country have some religion in our lives (school, parents, greandparents etc). Without much promting, I managed to decypher it as not-truth before I turned ten. This is what I mean, it takes willful cognitive dissonance to see the world, understand logic and cause and effect and the continuity of the world and then to say "no, God did it". You have to consciously pick and choose what parts of science to believe in.

And you can totally believe in non standard stuff and make your own framework of the universe that incorporates science and whatever mystic stuff you can make fit. For example, I have quite a complex idea of the universe that I've cobbled together from various sources, and this framework could incorporate reincarnation as well.

I believe that consciousness is like a massive ocean and our bodies are glasses that are dipped into that ocean and filled up with this universal consciousness juice for each life (I guess this is a similar ideaspace as the place where Platonic ideals and Jungian archetypes come from, although I don't know enough about those concepts to properly incorporate them). And then when we die, this consciousness goes back into the ocean. So I don't necessarily believe in the buddhist idea of reincarnation but rather I feel that all consciousness comes from the same source. You, me, people that don't believe in evolution, the only things that separate us are our bodies.

But I came to these ideas through my own reading and conversing and thinking, it wasn't handed to me in a book and it's fully mutable, it changes as I find evidence or signs or get new ideas.

You are right in your last para though, and i guess this is why people can be so defensive of their religions (plus the whole idea of supporting a team whcih is probably just as powerful a motivator). But that's the difference between them and me I guess - I like having my worldview challenged and built upon. It's fun. Like the man said, nothing is true and everything is permitted - our imagination lets us construct all kinds of awesome realities for us to live in based on how we interpret the world.

It's funny, you talk about the idea of no afterlife to be scary - I had the opposite experience. I'm not fussed about the afterlife because I believe that, as far as this consciousness is concerned, this is it. But once after a particularly heroic dose of mushrooms I had an awful moment of total perspective where I could see my life (and the boring, society induced monotony of work and money and bills) stretching ahead for three times that amount. It freaked me the hell out. Sometimes I think I'd prefer the obliteration and nothingness of death to the slow plod to the finish line. Not that I'm suicidal of course. More that I'm lazy, I think.

Well now, that was a whole load of philosophical wank wasn't it? I'm not even high today.

Question for anyone who used to watch SM:TV Live back in the day

I used to watch it mostly for challenge ant, as it was a good laugh when the kids gambled all their games or whatever and then lost, which'd lead to ant lording it over them.
A friend of mine swears blind that at one point they replaced it for a skit where one where parents had to make their kids cry, and recalls one where a parent told her kid that she wasn't getting any presents for christmas. When that failed to evoke any tears, she went with "mummy doesn't love you anymore" or somesuch. Apparently the skit didn't last long for obvious reasons.

However, I can't find any info about this at all. Anyone remember if this actually existed? If so, what was the name of the skit?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also, it's funny that you mention that when your religion crumbles or if you have no religion then you "believe in nothing". I quite agree that is probably what religious folks think non-theists believe but I don't think it's the case exactly, I don't think we're as nihilistic as that. Non-theists can believe in the real stuff still, like community and love, that's all life is about really isn't it? That's the stuff that religion is really there to enforce (plus control, can't forget good ol' control). I think that if you strip religion away then you're left with just the essentials which to me (to quote young Conor Oberst) is to love and to be loved.

Wrong.

Not all of us find the idea of no life after death terrifying. I'm actually glad nothing will happen after I die. I couldn't imagine my consciousness existing forever. How boring would that be. After you've had every conversation there is to have, what would be left to say? After you've done everything there is to do, what would be left to experience?
The fact that there is no life after death makes this one life we have all the more glorious, and I welcome that.

But yes, a lot of other people do find the idea of just ceasing to exist scary, which is part of the reason a lot of religions were invented. Ricky Gervais' film The Invention of Lying highlights this beautifully.

Juicy Bob

Like I said in Ronito's confession thread, I can relate to this. The idea of there being nothingness for eternity after death used to freak me out when I was younger, but then I realised that I'd already been 'dead' or, rather, didn't exist for trillions of years before I was conceived. You've already spent virtually all of Time 'dead' once already and that wasn't so bad, was it?

Like Musha says, it's best to not really think about it and concentrate on life and being alive and enjoying the gift you've been given by the universe and just go and make the most of it.

Mikeside

Also, it's funny that you mention that when your religion crumbles or if you have no religion then you "believe in nothing". I quite agree that is probably what religious folks think non-theists believe but I don't think it's the case exactly, I don't think we're as nihilistic as that. Non-theists can believe in the real stuff still, like community and love, that's all life is about really isn't it? That's the stuff that religion is really there to enforce (plus control, can't forget good ol' control). I think that if you strip religion away then you're left with just the essentials which to me (to quote young Conor Oberst) is to love and to be loved.

I'm replying to both of your posts, but only quoted the shorter one.

Yes, things are far less black and white than I'm making them out to be and obviously my post was skewed far more at my personal view than that of all non-theists. My concerns about 'the end' probably come from having no belief in anything like a conciousness that exists outside of, or beyond, the body and mind.

I believe that my conciousness is the result of chemical reactions in my brain and that once I die, it'll die with me. No pool of conciousness, no afterlife and nothing left for me to experience. That's what terrifies me - it's all meaningless unless I give it some kind of meaning, but then what meaning does even THAT have because once I'm dead, why does any meaning that I apply to anything matter? I'm gone.

Especially this concept of 'to love and be loved'. I find it very difficult to place absolute value on it since I've come to the conclusion that my existence is finite, so it has limited, constantly depreciating value. The value of my life is nothing once it's gone, so why would my opinions, my fears, my love or anything else I think or feel retain any kind of value?

If I die leaving people I love and who love me alive - they'll be sad for a time, maybe even for the rest of their lives if I'm incredibly loveable. But they'll die too as will any memory of me. Give it an incredibly short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and everything I've worked towards in my life is wiped from the blackboard of the universe.

So depsite all these things mattering a great deal to me, I often feel like I'm on the outside looking in and judging the petty existance which I know has no real meaning beyond my blinkered, limited experiences.

That's what I find so terrifying. I'm not going to experience the future and affect it directly, but the chance of anything I do in my life being of any value beyond it is absolutely minimal too - so I find that I place no value on anything.

Wrong.

Not all of us find the idea of no life after death terrifying. I'm actually glad nothing will happen after I die. I couldn't imagine my consciousness existing forever. How boring would that be. After you've had every conversation there is to have, what would be left to say? After you've done everything there is to do, what would be left to experience?
The fact that there is no life after death makes this one life we have all the more glorious, and I welcome that.

But yes, a lot of other people do find the idea of just ceasing to exist scary, which is part of the reason a lot of religions were invented. Ricky Gervais' film The Invention of Lying highlights this beautifully.

I wasn't trying to say that all people who believe in nothing else will find it terrifying, like I do, but just that it's something they have to live with. There are people like me who struggle with it and there are people like you who welcome it, but we're all living with what we perceive to be information that this one life is all we're getting.

Yes, The Invention of Lying definitely deals with the exact thing I'm talking about - very underrated movie, too.

Like I said in Ronito's confession thread, I can relate to this. The idea of there being nothingness for eternity after death used to freak me out when I was younger, but then I realised that I'd already been 'dead' or, rather, didn't exist for trillions of years before I was conceived. You've already spent virtually all of Time 'dead' once already and that wasn't so bad, was it?

Like Musha says, it's best to not really think about it and concentrate on life and being alive and enjoying the gift you've been given by the universe and just go and make the most of it.

Yeah, see, this is the stance that I can sometimes shift to when I'm either hugely drunk or hugely stoned but other than those rare occassions I'm not so calmed by that line of thinking.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm aware that my issues are all a product of ego and probably serve to highlight some unfortunate histrionic personality issues I've got.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Holy crap did BritGAF just get serious. WEEKEND MOTHERFUCKERS.

Went to a NUTS (newcastle uni theatre) cabaret night last night, finishing up Space Invaders today and going out tomorrow night.

Do have 1500 words to write for Tuesday that I haven't started yet... Man I did not pick this course to do writing, should have read that module description more thoroughly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm replying to both of your posts, but only quoted the shorter one.

Yes, things are far less black and white than I'm making them out to be and obviously my post was skewed far more at my personal view than that of all non-theists. My concerns about 'the end' probably come from having no belief in anything like a conciousness that exists outside of, or beyond, the body and mind.

I believe that my conciousness is the result of chemical reactions in my brain and that once I die, it'll die with me. No pool of conciousness, no afterlife and nothing left for me to experience. That's what terrifies me - it's all meaningless unless I give it some kind of meaning, but then what meaning does even THAT have because once I'm dead, why does any meaning that I apply to anything matter? I'm gone.

Especially this concept of 'to love and be loved'. I find it very difficult to place absolute value on it since I've come to the conclusion that my existence is finite, so it has limited, constantly depreciating value. The value of my life is nothing once it's gone, so why would my opinions, my fears, my love or anything else I think or feel retain any kind of value?

If I die leaving people I love and who love me alive - they'll be sad for a time, maybe even for the rest of their lives if I'm incredibly loveable. But they'll die too as will any memory of me. Give it an incredibly short amount of time in the grand scheme of things and everything I've worked towards in my life is wiped from the blackboard of the universe.

So depsite all these things mattering a great deal to me, I often feel like I'm on the outside looking in and judging the petty existance which I know has no real meaning beyond my blinkered, limited experiences.

That's what I find so terrifying. I'm not going to experience the future and affect it directly, but the chance of anything I do in my life being of any value beyond it is absolutely minimal too - so I find that I place no value on anything.

Very interesting opinions here! You're entirely right in the bolded - your life really does have no meaning on the grand scale of time unless you're contributing big ideas or works of culture. After all, surely a big part of the allure of art is that it's something of you that exists long after you're gone. But I think that looking at the world and time on that kind of scale is paralysing. Move away from the macro and look to the micro, since that's all you can really affect. Your relationships, what people mean to you and you to other people are really some of the only things we can have an impact on. And yes, it certainly is emphemeral, but isn't everything when you look at it through the correct scale?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Holy crap did BritGAF just get serious. WEEKEND MOTHERFUCKERS.

Went to a NUTS (newcastle uni theatre) cabaret night last night, finishing up Space Invaders today and going out tomorrow night.

Do have 1500 words to write for Tuesday that I haven't started yet... Man I did not pick this course to do writing, should have read that module description more thoroughly.

Hey man, students aren't the only people who can ponder their navels!

And 1500 words in three days is a piece of piss. I've said more words than that in my sleep. Granted, they didn't make a whole lot of sense but that's beside the point. If you're trying to fuck hot theatre girls, you must do the work that goes along with it. And use protection, obvs.

Mikeside

Very interesting opinions here! You're entirely right in the bolded - your life really does have no meaning on the grand scale of time unless you're contributing big ideas or works of culture. After all, surely a big part of the allure of art is that it's something of you that exists long after you're gone. But I think that looking at the world and time on that kind of scale is paralysing. Move away from the macro and look to the micro, since that's all you can really affect. Your relationships, what people mean to you and you to other people are really some of the only things we can have an impact on. And yes, it certainly is emphemeral, but isn't everything when you look at it through the correct scale?

That's basically what I do - tune out the part of my mind that's working overtime to try and find value & just try find enjoyment in the moment. Maybe I'll find that easier when I have a child, as I'll have done something that will potentially affect the future beyond my own experience.

Either way, this isn't weekend talk! Sorry for bogging the conversation down with it.

I'm buying a new suit for some posh training I have to go to for work and getting myself together with NaNoWriMo Take Two.

I have a character in mind and absolutely no plan for what to do with him. Perfect :)

Oh shit yeah, it's Friday! Totally forgot about that, so busy with work.

Tonight I'm doing nothing. Tomorrow going Xmas shopping with the boyfriend in Westfield. Tomorrow night going out for drinks for a friend's final leaving do. Sunday meeting up with a good friend, we're gonna do the Ripley's museum on Piccadilly, then go ice skating at the Natural History Museum, then go for dinner.

Also hit 9st 9lbs today, just 2lbs shy of my target, so I'm moving my target to 9st. Good times.

What's everyone else up to this weekend?

Lirlond

Got some of my mates coming over tonight for drinking. I much prefer sitting in the house than going to a pub. Tomorrow I'm going to some muay thai fights. Though I'm working there so I probably won't see a lot of it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Hey man, students aren't the only people who can ponder their navels!

And 1500 words in three days is a piece of piss. I've said more words than that in my sleep. Granted, they didn't make a whole lot of sense but that's beside the point. If you're trying to fuck hot theatre girls, you must do the work that goes along with it. And use protection, obvs.

Yeah one of my coursemates said he did it in like 3 hours.
It's very much split up into 250/200 word segments too.

Couldn't have picked a better society, considering I do CS which is unsurpisingly a male dominated course, NUTS is just full of girls.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This weekend? Going to a wedding reception tonight, kinda dreading it. I will know exactly one person there (the missus) and I'd much rather be playing halo :p

Tomorrow, nothing. Sunday though going to do a live practice recording with Guerrilla Studios, hopefully will get a decent mini album out of it. Very excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom