• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Volotaire

I've just played a bad Star Fox game by platinum and I love star fox and platinum. Video games are dead to me.

Dark Souls 3 is p.good though. Like Meat said; its definitely a bit of a best of. Still one of the greatest moments I've had in the series is because of a returning element actually managing to get me.

IIRC, I think Star Fox's level design was Platinum's main input, whilst the control system was developed by Nintendo. I'm not sure which one you took issue with, unless it was both, so I guess you can take solace with that.

Timbuktu

Line of Duty is so consistently good, easily better than the Night Manager, a shame there doesn't seem to be any particular place on neogaf to talk about short BBC series outside of the likes of Dr Who.

I wonder when American TV will steal Jed Mercurio away from us. He would be a good shout to take over True Detective I'd say.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm surprised he's allowed to work in UK TV with a name like that, Jed Mercurio is the most american TV producer sounding name I've seen in some time.

Line of Duty is so consistently good, easily better than the Night Manager, a shame there doesn't seem to be any particular place on neogaf to talk about short BBC series outside of the likes of Dr Who.

I wonder when American TV will steal Jed Mercurio away from us. He would be a good shout to take over True Detective I'd say.

I totally agree, it's kinda frustrating that there's nowhere to talk about shorter UK dramas (not just BBC either) because I'm not sure there would be demand enough for any - and some of them are simply amazing

Maybe I should make a catch all UK drama thread

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc) Moray
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Self Employed.
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? As long as I live until Shenue 3 lands, I'm good.
Favourite daytime TV show? Wheeler Dealers
Fish or chips? Fish
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? Bourbon.
Favourite party snack? Dry roasted peanuts
Who is the best bald person? Patrick Stewart
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I am an amputee.
What's your perfect Sunday? Staying in video games playing.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Yes
Did you threaten to overrule him? No
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Who gives a fuck really.

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc) Moray
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Self Employed.
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? As long as I live until Shenue 3 lands, I'm good.
Favourite daytime TV show? Wheeler Dealers
Fish or chips? Fish
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? Bourbon.
Favourite party snack? Dry roasted peanuts
Who is the best bald person? Patrick Stewart
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I am an amputee.
What's your perfect Sunday? Staying in video games playing.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Yes
Did you threaten to overrule him? No
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Who gives a fuck really.

Welcome!

Hooray for the bank holiday weekend!

Anyone been watching Undercover on BBC1? 9pm on Sundays. I've found it pretty good. Interesting that it's on around the conclusion of the Hillsborough investigation, though I suspect that it's just a coincidence.

Hooray for the bank holiday weekend!

Anyone been watching Undercover on BBC1? 9pm on Sundays. I've found it pretty good. Interesting that it's on around the conclusion of the Hillsborough investigation, though I suspect that it's just a coincidence.

Yeah I've been watching it, it's a good watch if you ignore how dumb the plot is.

Yeah I've been watching it, it's a good watch if you ignore how dumb the plot is.
I quite like the plot

On a different note...

Leicester City, champions of England!!! What a hit.

Take a bow, son. Take a bow.

So glad that one of the little guys did it. Also, hooray for the guy that just won £25k offa £5 bet, hah.

Feebastic

I lurk here sometimes but I'm bored at Nando's so I might as well introduce myself!

Questions Round One!

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc) East London.
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Fashion retail.
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Find something to do that I enjoy.
Favourite daytime TV show? Rocks & Co.
Fish or chips? Fish.
Daddy or chips? Daddy.
What's your tipple of choice? Sweet things. Beer is the devil.
Favourite party snack? Pistachio nuts.
Who is the best bald person? DMX.
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I left secondary school with the best results the school ever had, then dropped out of two different universities.
What's your perfect Sunday? A sunny day out with friends.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Yes no, maybe...
Did you threaten to overrule him? I don't know, can you repeat the question?
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW

Questions Round Two!

Best Muppet/Sesame Street character?
The Count.
Can you do any impressions? Or more accurately, which impressions do you attempt, even if you can't do them? I can do a decent Scottish accent and a woefully offensive Japanese accent.
Which country would you like to visit? Japan!
Summarise your feelings on the Channel 4 series 'Sex Box', recently returning to screens, presented by are-you-sure-he's-not-made-of-plastic Steve Jones. At least it's not another talent show.
You're hosting a fancy dress party. What's your theme and what's your costume? Movies, and I'll go as Van Helsing.
What do you think of people who travel first class on trains? Wasteful.
Some pubs have board games or card games in them now. This might be a trendy thing. What games would be good to play in a pub environment? There's a pub near me that has PS4s and arcade emulators set up, so Rocket League!
Doncaster. Explain why? We got away with too much for too long. Someone had to take the fall.

Holy shit this took ages to format on mobile.

Feebastic

Feebastic are you talking about Loading? Are you near Stratford?

I am near Stratford! I'm not sure what the place is called, I've only been once, but they have boardgames as well as PS4 setups and an arcade game emulator on a projector. It'd be really cool except for how expensive drinks are...

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So here's some interesting news.

At twenty something years old I got clinically diagnosed with ADHD yesterday. How weird is that

I am near Stratford! I'm not sure what the place is called, I've only been once, but they have boardgames as well as PS4 setups and an arcade game emulator on a projector. It'd be really cool except for how expensive drinks are...

Sounds like Loading. I've only been to the Stratford one once, but I went to the Soho one a few times before it moved and to the Dalston one once.

So here's some interesting news.

At twenty something years old I got clinically diagnosed with ADHD yesterday. How weird is that

I am not surprised.

Genuine question, what were the symptoms, and what tests are done to demonstrate it?

Have you not met Tash? The symptoms were pretty obvious tbh.

Rubbish King

Genuine question, what were the symptoms, and what tests are done to demonstrate it?

People kept talking in my lectures and it was paralyzing me with anger so I went to my doctor after already having done anger therapy, Cbt, been on SSRIs for depression and I lost my fucking rag.

A Dramatic Reading said:
I'M SO FUCKING TIRED OF PEOPLE TALKING IN LECTURES AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE. IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO EXPLODE

"what do you want?"

FUCKING DRUGS, GIVE ME DRUGS, I'M BORED OF BEING ANGRY

"there aren't any drugs for anger, you know that Mr King"

Well I'm at a loss, I've ran out of things I can do. I've tried so hard and I'm going nowhere. Sign me up for more counselling then

"I have another idea"

He then asked me a bunch of questions, relationship with family, behavior in school, if I had any other problems... then he told me I might have this thing but he'd need to send me to an expert so he applied for funding to get me tested by a proper shrink in Southampton.
Meanwhile I get directed to my Universities Assisted learning place. They hook me up with an audio recorder and note book so when I get distracted by cunts I can simply jot down the time I got distracted and revisit it at a later time. They also tell me about methylphenidate (ritalin), what it does and that it is speed on the NHS. They also tell me that there is one person in Portsmouth and it's surrounding area authorized to diagnose me and prescribe me so it's pretty unlikely I'll be put on them.

Took several months on the waiting list but eventually I'm sitting up in Scum in front of this bloke and he asks me a whole bunch of questions about my entire life. I'd filled several forms, one for when I was a child, one for adulthood and then another one for stuff that were unrelated to symptoms like am I current or former crackhead.

He also wanted school reports and to talk to my parents which I said was out the question. My parents had enough grief when my sister ended up being sectioned, they didn't need to be told their son is also fucked and pick their brains on it.

It took several hours and he was super thorough, because I didn't want to let my parents know straight away he told me he couldn't give me a diagnosis, so he prescribed me ritalin and let me try it out and see what it would do to me.

When I started taking them I found an improvement with my concentration but more importantly I've been the most emotionally stable in years. SSRIs took my emotions away, these things seem to regulate them. All of my friends say that I've become so levelheaded and it's really calmed me for the good. I haven't lost my spark and still find myself being sociable as hell and boy it should not be taken with alcohol.

Symptoms for ADHD in adults are:

sense of underachievement.
doesn't deal well with frustration.
easily flustered and stressed out.
irritability or mood swings.
trouble staying motivated.
hypersensitivity to criticism.
short, often explosive, temper.
low self-esteem and sense of insecurity.

To a degree I suffered from most of these, although we never did go through symptoms to this degree a website decided to.

Symptoms for children:

Doesn’t pay attention to details
Makes careless mistakes
Has trouble staying focused; is easily distracted
Appears not to listen when spoken to
Has difficulty remembering things and following instructions
Has trouble staying organized, planning ahead, and finishing projects
Gets bored with a task before it’s completed
Frequently loses or misplaces homework, books, toys, or other items

He asked me about every single one of these, of which most I also found myself almost always agreeing to.

The guy straight up asked me... why? Why has nobody asked this question before and well I straight up don't know, mum always used to blame hormones and the school used to pity me and equate it to the Vicars son acting out to shake off the bullshit I used to get at school.

I think it's a hilarious oversight in hindsight, I told my best friend and she was like oh...my....god.......it makes so much sense.

TL;DR Got diagnosed with ADHD tendencies and put on ritalin, after a few weeks when discussed my reactionto it he then diagnosed me fully and I feel over the moon that it wasn't totally my fault for how poorly my school years went, and now my life is being made so much easier.

Sorry for the life story old man, if I didn't answer your question properly let me know, I can be a little theatrical when trying to describe my life and I'm a terrible writer.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Symptoms for ADHD in adults are:

sense of underachievement.
doesn't deal well with frustration.
easily flustered and stressed out.
irritability or mood swings.
trouble staying motivated.
hypersensitivity to criticism.
short, often explosive, temper.
low self-esteem and sense of insecurity.

I better get to a doctor too then... fuck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The symptoms are asking for people to pour their cocktails into a beakers until your wine becomes bearable to drink. And by bearable we mean the taste is so ghastly your tongue can't even process it.

But glad to hear your life is turning around Tash.

NinjaBoiX

I think the problem is that society keeps setting an ever increasing precedent for labelling perfectly functional people with these "conditions" that are actually just completely normal and manageable personality traits. I feel like so many of these diagnoses are simply a clutching at straws response to a cry for help. Like, I better diagnose them with something otherwise I'll look incompetent.

The symptoms are often really generic and vague and ultimately something most people suffer from.
I better get to a doctor too then... fuck.
lol

Mikeside

I think the problem is that society keeps setting an ever increasing precedent for labelling perfectly functional people with these "conditions" that are actually just completely normal and manageable personality traits. I feel like so many of these diagnoses are simply a clutching at straws response to a cry for help. Like, I better diagnose them with something otherwise I'll look incompetent.

The symptoms are often really generic and vague and ultimately something most people suffer from.

lol

all well and good except for the bit where when you get diagnosed, you can learn to manage the symptoms whether through behaviour and understanding, through medication or a mix.

my mum is the same with "oh it's all just how brains work get over it" but that doesn't actually help anybody.

Plus it's really about severity, and how much those impact your day to day life, and is why it's best for medical professionals to make that judgement.

I mean I've got a mild form of autism, that day to day most people never twig on to, but only as I was diagnosed young I was able to get a lot of support to get me to the stage of being comfortable in more environments and able to cope better.

Brains are weird funny things anyway.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

lol

Meh. The diagnosis doesn't really matter. The treatment is what's important.

Rubbish King

lol
I get what you're saying geez, but that attitude is the one my mum had. She blamed hormones for both me and my sister.

I strongly believe that if I had been diagnosed earlier I could have had a much better time in school. When I got on Anti-depressants they seemed to dull the symptoms which is how I ended up being able to apply myself to something big and better with my brains because I was wasting myself on a fucking apprenticeship in a bar.

I remember just after I had formulated my University plan I rang Mikeside because I was so happy and I told him I was thinking I didn't need SSRIs and he reminded me that it was probably the SSRIs starting to work that had caused me to become a bit more driven and focused.
First year of Uni I got an average of around 80% I then stopped taking SSRIs in 2015, Summer, anger problems spiked like they used to with hoovers and my grades slipped down to treading water at 40%. I'm not saying it's the reason my grade average decreased but it could have been a factor.
As for my sister..well if my family had taken her threats more seriously maybe she wouldn't have almost died. So I'd probably encourage you to try and learn a little bit more about Mental health. When you were younger there weren't as many cases because there wasn't strong scientific data on it, now there's solid evidence and increased awareness. I trivialized it just as much for most of my life because my mum told me there was nothing "wrong" with me. When my other sister got diagnosed with dyslexia I used to say she was lying lol.

Brains are weird funny things anyway.
Everyone is different, innit.
Probably for some people, but I personally feel happier being able to quantify it. Relieved

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I reckon it does to a degree. If you diagnose a broken leg incorrectly as, I dunno, gangrene or something, they'll give you the wrong treatment by lopping it off instead of putting in plaster. That'd be well shit.

Mikeside

I get what you're saying geez, but that attitude is the one my mum had. She blamed hormones for both me and my sister.

I strongly believe that if I had been diagnosed earlier I could have had a much better time in school. When I got on Anti-depressants they seemed to dull the symptoms which is how I ended up being able to apply myself to something big and better with my brains because I was wasting myself on a fucking apprenticeship in a bar.

I remember just after I had formulated my University plan I rang Mikeside because I was so happy and I told him I was thinking I didn't need SSRIs and he reminded me that it was probably the SSRIs starting to work that had caused me to become a bit more driven and focused.
First year of Uni I got an average of around 80% I then stopped taking SSRIs in 2015, Summer, anger problems spiked like they used to with hoovers and my grades slipped down to treading water at 40%. I'm not saying it's the reason my grade average decreased but it could have been a factor.
As for my sister..well if my family had taken her threats more seriously maybe she wouldn't have almost died. So I'd probably encourage you to try and learn a little bit more about Mental health. When you were younger there weren't as many cases because there wasn't strong scientific data on it, now there's solid evidence and increased awareness. I trivialized it just as much for most of my life because my mum told me there was nothing "wrong" with me. When my other sister got diagnosed with dyslexia I used to say she was lying lol.

Everyone is different, innit.

Probably for some people, but I personally feel happier being able to quantify it. Relieved

mate, it sounds like you're starting to really get your shit together.
all I will say is that you need to keep doing the research and talking to professionals - learn everything you can so that you know as much of what's going on in your head as possible - you'll start to develop some instincts for how to maximize feeling normal in no time.

Good on ya, Tashington.

NinjaBoiX

I'm glad you're turning things around Tash, good for you fella!
my mum is the same with "oh it's all just how brains work get over it" but that doesn't actually help anybody.
Im not sure that administering mind altering drugs on what is effectively an educated guess is the most healthy course of action either but you make a valid point.
The diagnosis dictates the treatment though, you can't have one without the other.

Mikeside

I'm not sure that administering mind altering drugs on what is effectively an educated guess is the most healthy course of action either but you make a valid point.

Your realise its a bit more sophisticated than that, right?

Diagnosing mental issues isn't just throwing darts at a vision board to see what sticks.

And those mind altering drugs are TREATMENTS. Sure, some doctors will be heavy handed with prescribing drugs, but that doesn't mean medication is the wrong answer, it means medications need to be considered and then reviewed against professional analysis of the effects on a per patient basis.

NinjaBoiX

Your realise its a bit more sophisticated than that, right?
No mate, I assumed it was literal guesswork.

Of course I know it's a bit more complicated than that and often it can be really helpful. But I also know that a lot of people who take these drugs flit from one to another regularly due to adverse affects. I just think the potential to do more harm than good is sometimes forgotten about in favour of a knee jerk quick fix. It should be more of a last resort than an immediate reaction.

But I'm against medication in general anyway (within reason) and avoid it at all costs.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Ive been trying bro but the treatment just isn't working.

Tell me Ninj:

Have you ever experienced doubt on a Thursday?
Have you ever been unsure of what to write in a birthday card?
Have you ever pushed a door when the sign said pull?

If so, you may need these psychoactive drugs, side affects may include age reduction and laser eyes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah. Diagnosis is useful :D

I've just had so many diagnoses that I've learned to ignore them- if the treatment works, that's more important.

But I'm a special case I guess.

Tash hope it all goes well for you.

MEAT - Nioh?

Reknoc

Nioh is good. It is basically just Dark Souls with samurai with Geralt from The Witcher but it does that really well and what it does differently works. Actually, thinking on it, I just realised the bloodstain mechanic in this is probably what counters my problem with weapon durability, huh. The similarity might be too its detriment in some cases though... (by which I mean I'm an idiot and had a hard time adjusting to its different control scheme).

It's way too hard for me though, couldn't even get to the first boss.

As a man all about the sides, I tend to go to Dominos. Always googlin' an offer though. Never buy full price.

I live opposite a Pizza Hut though so that often influence.

Pizza Hut seemed cheapest, so I took the plunge. £10 for a pizza and a side/2 dips ain't bad. Papa John's seems to be quite a bit more expensive, and not that great... but then there IS one 20 seconds away from me...

Oh well. I'll report back with my review on Pizza Hut's takeaway pizza.

*EDIT* Also hi. I never post here.

Top Bottom