• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Kickstarter [$819k funded w/ PayPal - Over]

Quarter of the way to reaching its goal in about half a day. That bodes very well. But then again, I suppose there would be an influx of backers at the beginning.

Mr_Zombie

I have no idea whether I like it, or not :/ The artstyle looks weird (especially the close-up on George).
Oh well, at least it looks better than BS3 and 4.

Will definitely back it up. And done ;)

Next year is going to be amazing.

mclem

I really ought to replay BS 1+2 sometime, since I was at school when I played them last. The new content in the Director's Cut is right at the start, isn't it? Pondering playing through the new stuff then immediately swapping to the original, since GoG offers both.

Shiggy

Very informative interview about Broken Sword 5, the history of religion aspect, 2D look with 3D derivation, getting the original team back, and financial troubles:

The puzzles, the difficulty of them, 5 million downloads, German voice acting, PC/Mac/mobile, stretch Kickstarter goals, release date, possible Dave Gibbons collaborations in the future:

Those are damn interesting.

So I watched the kickstarter vid and I personally don't like the 3D models either...but not b/c of the look but rather the seemingly lack of animation compared to the 2D predecessors...Maybe that won't be the case in the final product...hopefully not..

Ivan

The original Broken Sword is my favorite game of all time and I was really looking forward to this... but the 3D characters look godawful. Gonna pledge anyway but -- I didn't ask for this!

I think all Broken Sword fans would say this. Myself included. Still, i backed it right away, what else could I do?

Paranerd

Neo Member
My first Broken Sword game was that Director's Cut on the Nintendo Wii. I pledged. I never got around to parts 3 and 4 though.

Inno

First kickstarter I have supported.
Even though I played alot of point and click as a kid I didn't play the first Broken Sword until last year. It was still an amazing game.

Bentendo

Wow, I'm legitimately surprised how far this got. I hate to admit it but I was highly doubting this would make the goal.

I will always begrudge Revolution for changing the intro of the Director's Cut of BS1.

I love BS1 and 2, but I do worry that this game won't be able to reach that kind of expectation.

mclem

Take with a pinch of salt, but if this guy from the comments is indeed who he appears to be - and isn't on a legpulling exercise - there may be more good news on the cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Warriner

Sebastian Hähnel said:
And after that please do a bloody sequel of steel sky!

Tony Warriner said:
@sebastian yup, Steel Sky 2 pencilled in for next year ;)

tony@rev

Edit: Just to lend some credence with that really being Tony: He's been on Kickstarter for several months, and previously backed DFA. It wasn't an account made just now to wind people up, at least.

BigDes

Try them if you get a chance. They´re not as good as the first one, but not as bad as forum posts tries to make you believe.

I'm going to be murdered for this most likely but 3 is genuinely a great adventure game

4 is deeply flawed but 3 is fantastic

wrowa

The puzzles, the difficulty of them, 5 million downloads, German voice acting, PC/Mac/mobile, stretch Kickstarter goals, release date, possible Dave Gibbons collaborations in the future:

"Last year on iOS alone we had 5 million downloads".

I knew that their games have been pretty successful on iOS, but I didn't expect that they've sold that many games. Quite an accomplishment.

Which makes me even more confused why they need this kickstarter.

I honestly have a hard time to believe that they really need the money. Not sure what to think of this. On one hand, it doesn't really matter -- people who pledge now, won't buy the game when it's out, so it's not like the developers are getting "free money". They are just getting it a little early. But on the other hand, this contributes to a general Kickstarter tiredness and I don't like the thought that one day a promising game that actually really needs funding might fail because other studios used Kickstarter without need.

Shion

I think all Broken Sword fans would say this. Myself included. Still, i backed it right away, what else can I do?
I'm a huge Broken Sword fan and, even though I'd definitely prefer 2D over 3D models, I think that the game looks great. The 3D models look very nice, it's the animation that needs work.

I expect the final product to reach, at least, Ghost Trick levels of fluidity in animation:
dBy5B.gif

11-eveningpatrolmaaan.gif

Sloane

Banned
Edit: Just to lend some credence with that really being Tony: He's been on Kickstarter for several months, and previously backed DFA. It wasn't an account made just now to wind people up, at least.
Makes sense, they created a concept for BASS2 years ago, I think.

I'm going to be murdered for this most likely but 3 is genuinely a great adventure game

4 is as far as I remember only flawed in terms of controls, and an ending that is a bit short. I really hope that this game will build on the story from it.

I enjoyed 3 also, but there were too many box puzzles, and the ending was just weird.

Mr_Zombie

Broken Sword 3's main flaw were those puzzles that suited an action adventure game more than a point & click one. Too many puzzles were about either pushing crates or being stealthy :/
Other than that, though, the game was really good. I remember liking the art style. It's a shame that they went with more realistic artstyle in BS4, because even though characters' models were more detailed (I remember one of the arts in BS4 shows a comparison between BS3 and BS4 model of George), they looked worse overall.

mclem

Which makes me even more confused why they need this kickstarter.

I honestly have a hard time to believe that they really need the money. Not sure what to think of this. On one hand, it doesn't really matter -- people who pledge now, won't buy the game when it's out, so it's not like the developers are getting "free money". They are just getting it a little early. But on the other hand, this contributes to a general Kickstarter tiredness and I don't like the thought that one day a promising game that actually really needs funding might fail because other studios used Kickstarter without need.

They've clearly already done a lot of the groundwork; there's lots of concept art out there and indications that the story is already planned (I don't think those throwaway lines where George and Nico talk about the things that 'haven't been done yet' are *just* throwaway lines; George mentiones an action scene in a
cable car
... and take a look at the top-right corner of the boxart.)

In other words: I think they've already spent it. Or rather, they've already budgeted it, and Kickstarter would be making up the shortfall between the risk Revolution can afford to take on and the game they *want* to make. With the production values we've seen, I find it hard to believe $400k would cover it; it's worth bearing in mind that DFA's original $300k (+$100k for the doc) was for a *very* small project initially before their Kickstarter blew up beyond anyone's wildest hopes. They've definitely ploughed money into this.

Edit: Here's an interesting tidbit I missed:
All Kickstarter backers will get GOG.com codes for 'Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse' for the PC version - and Mac from somewhere that hasn't yet been decided . We haven't yet reached an agreement with Steam, but would expect to be able to provide Steam keys for people who want them. Sorry that we can't be more specific at this time.

Already confirmed to have an agreement with GoG, that's potentially the biggest 'new' game GoG's ever had.

I had hoped they could make it without the extra funding but I dont mind supporting Cecil and his work. I played Broken Sword 2 on the Iphone this January and I loved most of it. One of the highlights of the adventure games. I hope they can get close to the first game and exceed it. I might pledge 25 dollars as I want to get that history of Broken Sword pdf.

mclem

So they seem to meet the 200.000 USD line already today :)

A little later than hoped - natural slowdown after the initial peak - but they're officially halfway there now.

In fact, I think we're at about the point with a Kickstarter where people who haven't seen too many Kickstarters start to panic that it's slowed down too much and it's doomed to never reach the goal. To them: Don't worry. This is normal. It'll keep ticking up slowly, but there's a whopping 28 days still to go, with a usual last-24-hours peak. In short, it'll get there.

Shion

Update #1

Wow! Everyone here at Revolution is totally blown away by the amazing response and the affection of the comments posted! In less than a day, we have nearly managed to reach 40% of our target! A few people have asked for an indication of the final look for the characters - this is what we currently have, although we are still working on our graphics technology.

Thank you so much for your support!
image-151317-full.jpg

mclem

Sure, but it's also much uglier. I'm not asking SNK level of animation here, I don't really see the issue.

3D - converted - to - 2D animation: Create a model. Pose it for each frame you want. Take a shot of the frame. Repeat for hundreds of frames. Done.

Creating a single frame takes somewhere between one and five minutes, I'd estimate, depending on how precise you strive to be with the posing.

2D animation: Draw a picture for the frame you want. Repeat for hundreds of frames. Done.

Creating a single frame... well, it depends on how rapidly you draw, and I'm no artist, but I'd imagine you'd be looking at something that's at least half an hour? I know twenty minutes of The Simpsons (So 36000 frames) takes about seven months of real time, although I'm not sure how many manhours that'd equate to.

The difference in workload is of an *order of magnitude*.

Kicktraq has it trending towards $2 mil. It will of course slow down, but hopefully it can reach $1 mil at least.

Seeing as how the project looks like it will far exceed its quota, I wonder if Cecil will consider branching out further to other systems. It's one way to make use of all those extra dollars. Regardless, I'm thrilled that Broken Sword still has so much sway in this day and age, so congrats to Revolution.

randomwab

Seeing as how the project looks like it will far exceed its quota, I wonder if Cecil will consider branching out further to other systems. It's one way to make use of all those extra dollars. Regardless, I'm thrilled that Broken Sword still has so much sway in this day and age, so congrats to Revolution.

I think in the interview up above, he sort of hinted at the possibility of XBLA/PSN if they went over their goal.

Backed for $250, because Broken Sword. Broken Sword. And I pathetically want that keyring and those physical books. I mentioned that they were doing a Kickstarter to my dad, and he was all "What is kickstarter? Pledges? We fund the game? Have you funded yet!? Go do it now! I will pledge half!" Made me feel good.

mclem

Oooh, buried in the FAQ: They've got Hazel Ellerby too. Given everyone was talking about Rolf, I was wondering if it was a different Nico, but apparently not.

mclem

Never played any of the games in this series, but I'm in for $25. Best wishes to the dev team.

Well, you'll get one of the earlier games for that pledge (or all four for doubling it)

The first and second have aged the *least* thanks to their art direction; both still look great. I'd go for the first, although I'd suggest avoiding the Director's Cut version.

(On which note: I've never really heard people talk about the Director's Cut version of BS2; is it more true to the original?)

randomwab

(On which note: I've never really heard people talk about the Director's Cut version of BS2; is it more true to the original?)

The only thing they added for the second game's remaster were character portraits, so it depends on what you think of those. I like Dave Gibbons' art, but I don't think it fits with the series, especially when compared to the backgrounds and sprites his stuff is placed on top of.

That said, time for a new avatar.

FGMPR

Banned
If the project is going ahead regardless or not whether it hits its target (though in a lesser form), then isn't attaching a specific monetary goal to the kickstarter kind of superfluous?

randomwab

If the project is going ahead regardless or not whether it hits its target (though in a lesser form), then isn't attaching a specific monetary goal to the kickstarter kind of superfluous?

I could be wrong, but I believe the $400k is what they need to finish up the game on their own, without needing to resort to publishers. Cecil has been pretty forward in past interviews that, a lot of the time, their deals with publishers don't really work out great in terms of the revenue they receive for sales, so I think this is their way of saying "If you like this, please Kickstart this, because we get all the money for the game and it'll help us in the long run with future projects."

I'm sure if they didn't meet their target, we'd still see the game probably published by Ubisoft or someone, but Revolution would probably suffer and it would put them in a difficult position financially going forward. That's my take on the situation, at least.

Top Bottom