• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Kickstarter [$819k funded w/ PayPal - Over]

just saw the email update with the 1M goal for BASS2. My god let's get some more people to back this, I would love love love to see a new game from that series.

inm8num2

Anything above $800k goes towards BASS2, apparently, but that game doesn't seem like it will be completed and delivered with BS5.

They're basically asking for an advance kickstart for BASS2, which I have no problem with, but it's a little ambiguous.

I do hope they reach the million mark. I really want a sequel to Beneath the Steel Sky. I played that game for the first time 2 years ago and was blown away.

mclem

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was Lady Piermont from the first game - the aristocrat you meet playing the piano in the Hotel Ubu.

My gut's saying that she's an antagonist of some sort, which I don't think Lady Piermont really was (although it's been a while! Must replay the games sometime). If we take that as the 'cover art', she'd have to be a significant character of at least some description.

Alpha_eX

Before this Kickstarter these guys put loads of their own money into getting Broken Sword 5 to the point it is now, if they reach $1M they will do the same for BASS 2 without having to self fund it.

I really don't see what's bad about that. Only so much money you can put into a single project (BS5), it's nice they set a cap and won't just pocket anything extra.

Haunted

Great final stretch goal. Charles Cecil you devious motherfucker.

New update, with a new updated look of the character model for George:

image-154133-full.jpg

image-154135-full.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dventure/posts
Massive improvement.

Larsen B

My gut's saying that she's an antagonist of some sort, which I don't think Lady Piermont really was (although it's been a while! Must replay the games sometime). If we take that as the 'cover art', she'd have to be a significant character of at least some description.

It's definitely Lady Piermont (especially going by the portrait in the Director's Cut).

How she goes from being an affable, flirtatious aunt figure to a place on the boxart is our first mystery.

At this point, I actually believe a Beneath a Steel Sky 2 would sell better than Broken Sword, considering how tainted the series have become with the last two games being so lackluster. I'm a huge adventure game fan, yet I never even played BS4 for more than 30 minutes. I did finish BS3, but I would probably not have had the genre not been so dried up at that point.

Still, I gave them 25, despite hating the graphics and design in the new game. Why can't they just make it all 2D? Why use horribly ugly 3D characters?

Not having high hopes for the game, but I want it to be good and I want to see a Beneath a Steel Sky 2. I'd love to see Lure of the Temtpress 2 as well, but that's highly unrealistic.

I agree. taking on Beneath a Steel Sky 2 to this Kickstarter is a bad idea. While this Kickstarter project is doing rather well, I don't think it will hit 1 Million.

So do you think it will make the 800.000 goal? That would be best for this game, I suppose.

Well, looking at the Kicktraq statistics, it's hard to say. It is currently trending towards $800k, nut that usually means nothing though. But if it did reach over $800k, it wouldn't shock me if we saw an 11th hour push to 1 million. But as it is, they would have to create a lot more exposure to to get the word out.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, it slowed down a bit more than I expected, probably will end up somewhere between 650K and 800K if there isn't big push.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Just put in my first pledge of 100$ (I'm a sucker for physical copies).

While I think we'll hit the 500k goal no problem, I really hope it'll at least keep the pace up and hit 650k goal. I kind of feel bad for the people who wanted Beneath a Steel Sky 2 greenlighted. I haven't tried the series out yet but I'll have to give it a go one of these days. Although knowing right after I play the first one I'll be bummed over the fact that I won't get the second. Revolution Software should've just made the 1 MIL$ goal into something related to Broken Sword and kickstarted Beneath a Steel Sky 2 separately.

Here's a good question for y'all :

If the 1 MIL$ goal was something Broken Sword related, what would you want it to be?

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Pretty big update today :

1. 500k stretch goal was reached! Now we can look forward to some more hours of gameplay/Easter eggs!

2. New Update Video : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure/posts

3. Beneath a Steel Sky 2 pretty much confirmed for the future (Halfway through the video he mentions that just because we might not hit the goal, doesn't mean that it won't happen later.) I guess the 1MIL$ stretch goal was to greenlight it faster or something. Either way it's looking like Beneath a Steel Sky fans can look forward to seeing the squeal sometime in the future. Overall, great news!

4. In the video there is some gameplay which features the inventory system. This has had mix reactions in the kickstarter comment section. Me personally, I think the inventory needs a change because it looks like a gloried iOS game instead of a PC game. I won't hold my breath though for a change because ultimately I think that's how they want it to be so porting the game will be much easier.

I'm interested to hear, what are your thoughts on the inventory system?

Right so not only is the stretch goal unrelated to Broken Sword it's an illegitimate stretch goal because the game is going ahead anyway. How fucking disingenuous can kickstarters get?

inm8num2

I feel like mentioning that BASS2 will probably happen anyway almost discourages people from wanting to hit the $1 million goal. I know some people felt that it was unfair to hinge BASS2 on the kickstarter for BS5 (which is not what they are doing), but now I think the ceiling is $800k.

Not reaching $1million puts more weight on BS5 profits to fund BASS2. And I have no doubt BS5 will sell very well and be a hit.

Oh man, $250 rewards are tempting.

Update 13: Reward Showcase: Books, notebooks, and more!

Hi guys!

We have received a number of questions about our rewards. Although most of them are still being finalised, we are keen to show you our plans for them. So without further ado, let’s have a look at the rewards we have in mind!

fd99406a.png

The History of Broken Sword is a hardcover coffee-table book with a high quality wrap-around jacket and featuring gorgeous art. This amazing book will be filled with never heard before details, full-colour artwork and an in-depth exploration of the Broken Sword universe. From Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars to Broken Sword - the Serpent’s Curse, this book will describe the making of Broken Sword games in fascinating detail. Truly a unique collectors item!

We will be giving a signed version of this book to all backers who have pledged $250 and above.

8261be2c.png

After many years of writing Broken Sword games, we are delighted to be able to finally release our Broken Sword Design Document. This unique book showcases our archive of game design documents and related material, such as storyboards, concepts, and dialogue scripts. With take-outs, notes, and other never released before snippets of Broken Sword designs, this is a ideal companion to the History of Broken Sword.

We will be giving a signed version of this book to all backers who have pledged $250 and above.

299cc03f.png

If you thought our plans for those rewards were amazing, you haven't seen what unique flair Nico's "La Liberté" Reporter's Notebook brings to your collection! This beautiful "La Liberté"-branded item is signed by Nico and filled with vital clues and quirky contents - includes vital items such an incriminating café receipt (you will understand when you play the Serpent's Curse). To top it off, each book will be numbered and contains a hand-written secret from the game, completely exclusive and unique to that one copy. This one-of-a-kind treasure is an irreplaceable addition to any collection.

We will be giving a signed version of this book to all backers who have pledged $500 and above.

Code Jam

Wondering what on earth a Code Jam really is? This fantastic event is an opportunity to join the Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse developers once a month in an entertaining, informative, and interactive lifestream. Watch a live video and chat with us and each other in a chatroom. Interact with various team members, ask questions, and get inside snoops on what game development is really like at Revolution.

This reward is available for pledge level $250 and above.

The Box

Many of you have asked us what kind of box you will be getting. We are delighted to say that it will be high quality, old school, wonderful packaging! Inside you will find the game DVD, comics, poster, and soundtrack CD. We can also confirm that the box will be available in English, German and French - we will send you your choice of language. Furthermore, this box will only be available to our Kickstarter backers - so get your hands on one before your chance has gone!

This reward is available for pledge level $100 and above.

If you have any other questions then please let us know.

mclem

48 hours to go, and $100k to go to the next stretch goal. I reckon that's very doable with a final spike of funding.

C.Redfield

Neo Member
it's such a great saga. i even liked the last one in 3D .
Here it's a return to a good old 2D adventure with some beautiful hd artworks.

mclem

We're close to reach the 800 000$ before the end of the kickstarter camp so don't forget to give it a boost, so we'll have a second backer in the game.

I think the point of the $800k target is more the "realising the wildest dreams", which I'm taking to mean "Including everything we felt we'd have to cut to save money".

Dennis

Banned
I caved in and pledged.

This is my fifth supported Kickstarter game:

1) Shadowrun Returns
2) Wasteland 2
3) Dead State
4) Project Eternity
5) Broken Sword- the Serpent's Curse

Dennis

Banned
Come on people. There has to be a few gaffers who like good adventure games but haven't yet pledged.

Now is your last chance!

Mr_Zombie

I've just increased my pledge ($15->$25).

BTW. Dennis, what happened to the "4K" in your name? At first I thought you have a doppleganger here. o_O

Lusankya

Kickstarter
$710,137 Pledged
13,381 Backers

Paypal
$42,603 Pledged
1,086 Backers

Total
$752,740 Pledged
14,467 Backers

I hope we still get the last 48k dollars.

C.Redfield

Neo Member
come on guys, we need some gaffers on this gem to reach the last stretch goal we can, before the end of the kickstarter campaign in only few hours

mclem

come on guys, we need some gaffers on this gem to reach the last stretch goal we can, before the end of the kickstarter campaign in only few hours

It's fine, really. It's doing $10k every 2/3 hours, and that'll accelerate. $800k will happen. I'm thinking $850k if the acceleration is particularly good.

Bulzeeb

fuck I still don't know if I should pay $50 for the design documents or not damn, anyone ahs any idea of what will be included on this docs?

Top Bottom