• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: "After Halo 2 we are planning to do something different."

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think any launch title thats good enough will be succesful and become a killer app for the system, it doesnt have to be a sequel (look at Halo) it just has to be that good.*

*no idea if Xenon will have anything that fits the bill.

border

Which is sillier -- expecting Rare to be able to deliver a game on time for launch, or expecting them to deliver a game of Halo's quality? =)

It will be interesting to see how well Madden 2006 goes over. Not having EA Sports was one of the Dreamcast's major stumbling blocks.

Joe

a next-gen madden available for xenon at launch would be a dream come true for microsoft. back that up with a new perfect dark and a new project gotham and they're set for launch.

and it doesnt matter what kind of game they make, bungie will always have to live up to halo. kind of sucks for them, its like they cant slipup or they'll never hear the end of it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Any and everyone whos interested in Halo will buy the next Xbox for it regardless of when it comes out. Systems will be sold regardless.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I think M$ is definitely planning on having PD0 ready for launch. And I think it will look completely different from the Joanna Dark art that was released at X02. I also don't think it will be a 3. person game as PD0 was rumored to be back when it was supposed to come out for Cube.

LukeSmith

First, I wouldn't be surprised either way if Bungie is or isn't working on Halo 3 concurrently with Halo 2, let alone planning to move immediately onto Halo 3.

Second, Microsoft will have plenty of swag to launch with -- PD0, Crimson Skies 2, PGR3, where they wouldn't need Halo 3 out of the gate, however, having it out of the gate would be huge, but would also hurt Halo 2 sales.

So in not having Halo 3 ready, Microsoft should look at making sure the system is backwards compatible and that in that backwards compatibility the Xenon Live and the Xbox Live system would both be able to function on said Xenon. Extending life of Halo 2 online, et cetera.

I hope they are working on Halo 3 now, I doubt it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they were. And with Bungie being ready to do something else, I'm sure they are. But money talks.

Also, is Wideload working on a launch title for Xenon? That could be interesting...

IJoel

MS should try their hardest to have Halo 3 to counter the PS3 launch.

On a side note, don't you find that Halo 2's shelf life will be short lived if MS releases the Xbox 2 next year? I think it'd be quite possible for MS to release Halo 2 Xenon edition, in order to maximize sales, and well, they could improve the graphics quite a bit and the framerate too. Not to mention, it'd push the Live component quite a bit on the new console (though PD0 should take care of much of that.)

Prine

Banned
Perfect Dark Zero should take Halo's place as the AAA FPS launch title, followed by another Rare title after a few months later (they'll be getting dev kits first, and they'd be settled with Xenon hardware)

I expect a new DOA from Itagaki, a new PGR and some other stuff from EA, Lucas Arts and Sega.

Its a perfect time for devs to release high profile games with a new system, its almost guaranteed to sell well.

Perfect Dark has been in development for almost 4 years now, i reckon MS told Rare that they will not be debuting the series on Xbox, but on Xenon. Next e3, Xenon will premier Perfect Dark for sure (trailer) boasting about new Xbox Live features (playble online straight out of the box on launch!) it'l be one memorable day.

/drools

border

Prine said:
Perfect Dark Zero should take Halo's place as the AAA FPS launch title, followed by another Rare title after a few months later
Keep your fingers crossed, I guess.

**tries to remember the last big Rare game that got shipped on time**

Deku Tree

Prine said:
Perfect Dark Zero should take Halo's place as the AAA FPS launch title, followed by another Rare title after a few months later (they'll be getting dev kits first, and they'd be settled with Xenon hardware)

/drools

Do you think it still looks like this?

jo_shot06.jpg

Prine

Banned
Deku Tree said:
Do you think it still looks like this?

jo_shot06.jpg

Rare changed Kameo, im sure they done the same for PDZ (might have changed realising how important the game is to MS and Xenon)

I wouldnt be dissapointed if they kept joAnime, i think it looks nice (love the suit)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Not feelin the animated Joanna look. MS should go for a realistic look anyway, their userbase likes that stuff.

Tellaerin

deadlifter said:
Not feelin the animated Joanna look. MS should go for a realistic look anyway, their userbase likes that stuff.

A portion of their userbase does, true, but I think Xbox developers already tend to focus a little too heavily on 'realistic' art. I'd like to see Rare keep doing more stylized stuff with PD Zero--it'd inject more visual diversity into MS' lineup.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
deadlifter said:

Not our fault that all the best games made for the system are "realistic" :p

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dont think rare will be going back to realistic with PD, thats not their role within MGS. I like the new look, i liked the old one too.

novery

IJoel said:
I think it'd be quite possible for MS to release Halo 2 Xenon edition, in order to maximize sales, and well, they could improve the graphics quite a bit and the framerate too. Not to mention, it'd push the Live component quite a bit on the new console.

I was thinking the same thing. A remixed Halo 2 would sell consoles. Beefed up graphics, extended single player, a bunch of new multiplayer maps and modes - maybe similar to what Sony did with Gran Turismo 3?

-rp

Seth C

If they do a remix it will probably be of the first game. According to the story in this month's XBN, Halo was cut from 20 levels to only 10. I'd love to see a Director's Cut Halo.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Seth C said:
If they do a remix it will probably be of the first game. According to the story in this month's XBN, Halo was cut from 20 levels to only 10. I'd love to see a Director's Cut Halo.

makes you wonder how many levels are in halo 2.

Plus if some of the levels are as large as they say they are (4-5x larger than assault on the control room)... it's gonna be one long-ass game =D

DSN2K

I expect to see some sort of CS: source like version of Halo 2 multiplayer at the launch of Xenon.

Halo 3 can wait 3 or 4 years.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm sure some of the dropped Halo levels made their way into Halo 2, or parts of them/ideas, though no doubt in upgraded form. So you wouldn't want to put those ones back in a Halo remix.

Top Bottom