• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Debunks Halo 2 Rumors

GhaleonEB

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=rumorbuster&p=676412

Rumors addressed:

The Rumor: The Bungie.net clan and stat features will require a paid subscription.
The Rumor: Halo 2 is coming out on PS2, Gamecube, Virtual Boy, et al…
The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature massively multiplayer combat.
The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature four player split-screen co-op play.
The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature AI opponents in multiplayer games.
The Rumor: Players can dual-wield any weapon in the game.
The Rumor: Halo 1.5 is coming out for Xbox

Caveat: NOTE: Bungie reserves the right to tell packs of lies whenever it chooses.

Teddman

Hmph. Still no comment on system-link co-op.

And all those "RumorBuster" topics had pretty much been debunked awhile ago, c'mon Bungie!

Kon Tiki

Banned

The Facts: Bungie, awesomely independent, leather-jacket wearing, gum-chewing, authority-scorning, paintchip-eating rebel though it may be, is also owned by huge corporate behemoth, Microsoft. Microsoft, as you may be aware, is in competition with the good people at Nintendo and Sony for market dominance in the video game console market.

The rumour was GBA/NDS not a console. They did not even mention handhelds in that debunking.

Joe

Duckhuntdog said:
Now all they have to do is get the game to run at a decent framerate. Lots of framerate issues, or so I have been told.
my sources tell me that your sources suck.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
So handhelds aren't consoles?

How come they are considered as such in every damnable sales chart thread, then?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The framerate does suck, or it did in some areas of the build that some journalists got to see recently, but it's nothing to worry about. Just seems to be part of Bungie's schedule to optimize those areas.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The Rumor: The Bungie.net clan and stat features will require a paid subscription.
GAF EXCLUSIVE!! Halo2 premium downloadable content availible exclusively at The Bungie Store.

So they adress every system the original rumor didn't involve. Nice!

The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature massively multiplayer combat.
I know I've read it somewhere. Was it EGM that claimed 64 player multiplayer?

The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature four player split-screen co-op play.
I'm a little confused on this one. Are they saying "no four player co-op play," or "no four player split-screen co-op play?"

The Rumor: Halo 2 will feature AI opponents in multiplayer games.
Spin as you will, but no bots does suck.

The Rumor: Players can dual-wield any weapon in the game.
A game about space marines defending Earth from alien bugs and now they're concerned about realism? :)

The Rumor: Halo 1.5 is coming out for Xbox
See "The Rumor #2" ;)

GhaleonEB

Mama Smurf said:
The framerate does suck, or it did in some areas of the build that some journalists got to see recently, but it's nothing to worry about. Just seems to be part of Bungie's schedule to optimize those areas.

I've read over a dozen in-depth hands-on impressions from the Beta test, and none of them mentioned any framerate issues whatsoever. None.

Kon Tiki

Banned
dog$ said:
So handhelds aren't consoles?

How come they are considered as such in every damnable sales chart thread, then?

No they are not consoles. If there were, Nintendo would be the market leader. We can not have that happen. ;)

Mama Smurf

GhaleonEB said:
I've read over a dozen in-depth hands-on impressions from the Beta test, and none of them mentioned any framerate issues whatsoever. None.

Yeah, well they're playing multiplayer.

Sai

GhaleonEB said:
IGN said that there was a small dip in one part of the base in Zanzibar during E3. That was something that could be easily ironed out though. I too have seen no complaints or concerns about HALO 2's framerate. Far as I know, it's a lot more consistent than the original game's. No worries, Duckhuntdog.

GhaleonEB

Mama Smurf said:
Yeah, well they're playing multiplayer.

And no one has seen, or is allowed to comment on, single player. So......

Sai said:
IGN said that there was a small dip in one part of the base in Zanzibar during E3. That was something that could be easily ironed out though. I too have seen no complaints or concerns about HALO 2's framerate. Far as I know, it's a lot more consistent than the original game's. No worries, Duckhuntdog.

True, but that was at E3 their pre-E3 hands-on exclusive article. One of their E3 impressions articles mentioned that that drop seemed to have been removed.

At any rate, I was referring to the more recent Beta build with five maps and three game types, and all the hands-on impressions from that never mentioned any lag/framerate issues.

Mama Smurf

From you!

but then that all changed when i got to bungie. sure, playing single-player halo 2 really helped, but beyond that, it was seeing just how frantic it was over there (they literally have around 23 or 22 days to go before submission), how dedicated and intense the staff was, and then playing halo 2 single-player and realizing that showing off a game before it's polished (i.e., shitty framerates, texture pop-up everywhere, cutscenes with no sound, etc.) isn't really good for ANYONE. especially halo fans. why? well first there's inevitable disappointment when you see something like halo 2 run at 10fps -- even if you know that by the time the game goes gold, everything will be buttah. second of all, spoilers. tons of spoilers everywhere. that's how significant the single-player is this time around. the stuff we've seen... i can honestly say that bungie has truly come to an understanding of the word 'epic.'

Now maybe I've misunderstood you and you just meant generally, but when you're talking specifics of going to Bungie along with spoilers and everything else, it's not surprising I'd read it that way.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Mama Smurf said:
From you!

Now maybe I've misunderstood you and you just meant generally, but when you're talking specifics of going to Bungie along with spoilers and everything else, it's not surprising I'd read it that way.

no no, that's what i was curious about. cuz no one else was supposed to have seen single-player. :) s'all good.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
That exchange between Mama Smurf and Che reminded me of a classic Anti Drug PSA...

Now I want some pot.

ced

dorio said:
I wish they would confirm if there is system link coop or not.

I wish I remembered where I read it, but some magazine said there is system link co op w/ headset support. I cant remember for the life of me though. It was within the last month.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Goreomedy said:
That exchange between Mama Smurf and Che reminded me of a classic Anti Drug PSA...

Now I want some pot.

:lol yeah, it's like:

"Where did you become this retarded... tell me!" - Chespace
"From you! I learned it from watching you!" -Mama Smurf

Sai

You read "System-Link Multiplayer with headset support", or something along those lines, ced. Nothing's been said about System-Link Co-op.

It seems more than plausible that System-Link Co-op, or even LIVE Co-op will be in, actually. It's one of the biggest rumors/concerns for HALO 2 at this point, yet Bungie has never directly denied it's existance. I think they'll both be in.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Played it at E3 and the frame rate was fine. Whoever said it sucked was BSing.

I think it was 12/16 players on LAN. A Bungie rep said you can have it as such with four player split screen and someone did the math and figured out "Wow! 64 players!"

That is all I know. And of course, it ruled.

Everyone missed the best part of that article:

It will support up to four players per split-screen, on System Link or Live

Now, yeah we suspected as such, but we only had evidence pointing towards a definite 2 player Live play with the possibility of 4 player Live play based off the interface screen. This pretty much confirms 4 player guest play. Rock!

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
work in progress levels are not perfect yet? wtf?!!
I could tell, but then Bungie would lose a few team members. No I'm serious.
What, you want me to turn my mouth into an o like I'm watching fireworks?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
fennec fox said:
work in progress levels are not perfect yet? wtf?!! What, you want me to turn my mouth into an o like I'm watching fireworks?

lol, pwned

Top Bottom