• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King wants McDonald's to collaborate on the 'McWhopper'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyonashi

screen-shot-2015-08-26-at-8-08-35-am.png

All in the name of world peace.

Burger King has offered McDonald’s a golden opportunity to come together and make one burger to rule them all — in the name of world peace, of course.

In full-page ads running Wednesday in The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune – the hometown paper of the Illinois-based McDonald’s – the fast-food chain is proposing the “McWhopper,” a hybrid of each company’s signature Big Mac and Whopper burgers that will be sold for one day in one pop-up store in one city.

That city, Burger King is proposing, would be Atlanta, a meeting point between both company’s headquarters. The marketing stunt would be held on Sept. 21, with proceeds benefiting the anti-conflict nonprofit Peace One Day.

Burger King has also set up a website listing out its proposal, even suggesting a recipe for the new hybrid burger: it will contain six ingredients from the Big Mac (like cheese and special sauce) and six from the Whopper (like the flame-grilled patty and onions).

McDonald’s responded on Facebook Wednesday morning:

Dear Burger King,

Inspiration for a good cause… great idea.
We love the intention but think our two brands could do something bigger to make a difference.
We commit to raise awareness worldwide, perhaps you’ll join us in a meaningful global effort?
And every day, let’s acknowledge that between us there is simply a friendly business competition and certainly not the unequaled circumstances of the real pain and suffering of war.
We’ll be in touch.

-Steve, McDonald’s CEO
P.S. A simple phone call will do next time.

http://www.mcwhopper.com

What does GAF think? Silly marketing ploy or sincere gesture?
probably a bit of both.

Krejlooc

Banned
McDonalds would never do this. Coke doesn't acknowledge pepsi. The market leader has nothing to gain from collaborating with a rival, especially one with a much lesser global reach. All this would do is present Burger King as McDonald's equal.

EDIT: Lol just read the response. Just as I said. Do some free promotional charity thing instead, but don't present your product as an equal.

Why would BK condescend to use any part of the big mac?

The whopper is superior in every way

Nice as a charity thing I suppose, I'll grab one if they run it in the uk

Kozak

Banned
Nothing at McDonalds comes close to Burger King/Hungry Jacks.

Burger King/Hungry Jacks got that sloppy burger down to a key imo

Troy

Banned
Are their businesses in so much trouble that they're looking to collaborate? If so, I'm happy. Their food is shit.

daveo42

Banned
McD isn't going to refuse this since it works well as a PR Stunt and they might finally get some quality patties on their hamburgers for once.

Really though, this is a smart idea for both companies since proceeds are going to charity. Good on them if they go through with it.

Dear Burger King,

Inspiration for a good cause… great idea.
We love the intention but think our two brands could do something bigger to make a difference.
We commit to raise awareness worldwide, perhaps you’ll join us in a meaningful global effort?
And every day, let’s acknowledge that between us there is simply a friendly business competition and certainly not the unequaled circumstances of the real pain and suffering of war.
We’ll be in touch.

-Steve, McDonald’s CEO
P.S. A simple phone call will do next time.

This came off to me as suuuuper passive aggressive.

otapnam

McD isn't going to refuse this since it works well as a PR Stunt and they might finally get some quality patties on their hamburgers for once.

Really though, this is a smart idea for both companies since proceeds are going to charity. Good on them if they go through with it.

Bk is going to continue the 1.50 for 10 nuggets onslaught leaving people no reason to goto McDonald's

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Go to Burger King and get a whopper. Go to Mcdonalds and get Big Mac sauce. Put the Big Mac sauce on the whopper. That's what the McWhopper would taste like.

daveo42

Banned
Bk is going to continue the 1.50 for 10 nuggets onslaught leaving people no reason to goto McDonald's

I'm surprised people have any reason at all to get McD's nuggets anyway since they are have the consistency of a sponge and taste about as good.

lednerg

If they wanted to really make a difference in the world, then they should encourage worker-owned coop franchisees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom