• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King wants McDonald's to collaborate on the 'McWhopper'

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
imagine this in the gaming world

Ty1kLzS.png

Dear Burger King,

Inspiration for a good cause… great idea.
We love the intention but think our two brands could do something bigger to make a difference.
We commit to raise awareness worldwide, perhaps you’ll join us in a meaningful global effort?
And every day, let’s acknowledge that between us there is simply a friendly business competition and certainly not the unequaled circumstances of the real pain and suffering of war.
We’ll be in touch.

-Steve, McDonald’s CEO

giphy.gif

Metal-Geo

McD isn't going to refuse this since it works well as a PR Stunt and they might finally get some quality patties on their hamburgers for once.

Really though, this is a smart idea for both companies since proceeds are going to charity. Good on them if they go through with it.

But now it's purely PR for Burger King: The (pretty well designed) website, the video, every design. Especially the fact this is all public. And all in 'the name of world peace'. In the end this would only make Burger King look like the hero - the whole thing is their idea.

I am mad hungry right now though. Damn.

coy

Kind of a dicky response from McDonalds. I didn't expect them to participate but less sass would've been okay.

I'd try this out if it happened and I lived near Atlanta.

Fury451

Banned
Big Mac style and sauce with Whopper meat? Do it.

Wow though, that McDonalds response sounds saltier than their food.

daveo42

Banned
That passive aggressiveness from McD's is because it's the only way they can show their distaste at being forced to work with one of their competitors. Right now they have no out except to work together with BK.

But now it's purely PR for Burger King: The (pretty well designed) website, the video, every design. Especially the fact this is all public. And all in 'the name of world peace'. In the end this would only make Burger King look like the hero - the whole thing is their idea.

I am mad hungry right now though. Damn.

It's still PR for both companies, but McD's can't refuse because they'd look terrible for doing so because it's going to charity. At the same time, McD's accepting generates good press for them even if it wasn't originally their idea, website, yadda yadda.

Snaku

Banned
That passive aggressiveness from McD's is because it's the only way they can show their distaste at being forced to work with one of their competitors. Right now they have no out except to work together with BK.

It's still PR for both companies, but McD's can't refuse because they'd look terrible for doing so because it's going to charity. At the same time, McD's accepting generates good press for them even if it wasn't originally their idea, website, yadda yadda.

See McDs douche response. They won't work with them.

Kusagari

Yes, BK was sort of forcing their way into this but it's not like MCD wouldn't get positive publicity from it too.

Instead they put out a passive aggressive response and look like assholes.

Liberty4all

Banned
It WAS a passive aggressive response ... Because this was lose lose for McDonalds.

Can't put the market follower on the same pedastal as the market leader.

Asking publically for something like this is super unprofessional. McDonalds does not exist to be a cog in burger kings marketing.

With that said the whole idea is genius on burger kings part. McDonalds ends up looking like a sour puss or McDonalds acknowledges whopper is equal to big mac. win win for burger king.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And there's yet another reason why BK is better (at least here in Sweden they absolutely are). Super boring McD response. Would be fun to see this happen, even though I wouldn't be able to (or particularly want to) get one myself.

Zaptruder

Banned
Bah. I would've bought one of these for world peace (that's what I call my stomache I guess).

Still, it's not too hard to assemble one - just buy a double whopper and a big mac.... and swap the ingredients around. Both of them would be the Mcwhopper :p

Kenstar

Can someone explain to me why a whopper doesn't come with cheese in the year of our Lord Two-Thousand-and-Fifteen?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can someone explain to me why a whopper doesn't come with cheese in the year of our Lord Two-Thousand-and-Fifteen?

Because they want to charge you more for a whopper with cheese

Kyzer

Banned
McDonalds doesn't own the copyright to thousand island dressing just toss it on the whopper use shredded lettuce and call it a day

Nakho

BK's burgers are so superior to McD's, it's not even funny. If they got McD's fries, they would have my attention.

daveo42

Banned
See McDs douche response. They won't work with them.

I took the We'll be in touch comment as them conceding to work with them on this...or at least something.

If they just cut it there, then McD's deserves to go down in flame-broiled goodness. Take it on the chin for charity McD's and not puss out cause you'd have to work with a competitor.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
BK's burgers are so superior to McD's, it's not even funny. If they got McD's fries, they would have my attention.

Yep, that's the one thing McD does better. BK's are adequate though (at least over here), so I still go with them almost every time.

Kyzer

Banned
Big mac sauce isn't thousand island.

It's thousand island, vinegar, worstechire and some other stuff thrown in for good measure.

Might as well just be another brand of thousand island dressing its definitely the majority of the base of the sauce... That's crazy though I didn't know

VariantX

Have to agree. The fries are pretty much the only thing I think that McD's does really, really well. Absolutely nothing in the world like fresh McD's fries.

Krejlooc

Banned
Despite not being a fan of onions in general, Burger King's onion rings are delicious. They're more like fried funyons than actual onion rings.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only one day and only one city. What's the point?

They should at least have one location in areas they both are in over the country to do it for the one day. At least then people could talk about it in a PR Blitz of taste/etc. while raising awareness of the event for them. Instead it's just going to be crickets after this website and announcement. *shrug*

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Never had one of those Big Kings but isn't this already the same general idea from Burger King if people were really curious?

burger-king-big-king.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well this is the company that stopped serving Heinz after a former Burger King exec became their CEO

Lol, what the hell. You'd think a massive international fast food juggernaut would be above what seems like such petty childish behavior. If that was indeed the reason.

lightus

I think this was a dick move by Burger King if McDonald's really wasn't notified before hand. There is no good will here, it's purely marketing. The way it's phrased makes BK seem equal to McD's and gives no good way for McD's to respond.

McDonalds may be a bit bitter about that and it comes out some in that response. Really it show's he's trying to say "we're not pals, knock it off".

Also, I'm a bit confused. They say proceeds will go towards charity but then also say that customers wouldn't pay for the burgers, but instead do some weird gimmicky "settlethebeef" thing.

Bit of a shitty move by Burger King. They know McDonalds will look like douchebags if they say no. Work out your deals yourself instead of doing some public blackmailing "for charity."

That said, I'm sure the multi billion companies will survive.

it was a clever ploy by BK because they knew McDo has to turn them down and by the responses in this thread, they clearly got what they wanted.

woodypop

McDonalds response comes off passive aggressive...damn dudes, we know your dumpster's on fire

lol that McDonalds response is condescending as shit. Take it easy guys.

It really does. BK's is fun
My thoughts exactly.

Man, I remember the disbelief/amazement I felt when I first saw Iori fighting E. Honda in the darkened, back alley background of CvS1. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom