• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Funds First Prisoner Sex-Reassignment Surgery and Move to Women's Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms.Galaxy

This kinda rubs me the wrong way. I am all for Prisoners getting standard healthcare provided. But I dont think getting a surgery that is entirely optional for free is kinda right. While people that havent killed anyone cant afford the SRS.

It's not optional, as many have said multiple times in this thread. This is literally the only proven and effective method that treats Gender Dysphoria.

This kinda rubs me the wrong way. I am all for Prisoners getting standard healthcare provided. But I dont think getting a surgery that is entirely optional for free is kinda right. While people that havent killed anyone cant afford the SRS.

GRS is treatment it is no different than pills for bipolar disorder.

Well I mean it already happened so yep would be the correct answer here.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
It's not optional, as many have said multiple times in this thread. This is literally the only proven and effective method that treats Gender Dysphoria.

Side question: shouldn't this be called Sex Dysphoria? Genitals/hormones don't have anything to do with gender as I understand it.

My beef with this is there are more deserving people out there that cannot afford it. While someone who committed various heinous crimes is able to get it.

Ms.Galaxy

Side question: shouldn't this be called Sex Dysphoria? Genitals/hormones don't have anything to do with gender as I understand it.

I'm not the doctors who classified it, so I wouldn't know. I believe it's called that because the issue is that the public gender and sex of the person do not match their gender identity.

My beef with this is there are more deserving people out there that cannot afford it. While someone who committed various heinous crimes is able to get it.

That's an issue with the U.S. healthcare system, not the prison system. People like me should get it, they deserve to get it, a lot of them actually need it, but that's something we're trying to fight for with universal healthcare of any sorts. Luckily, some state provided medicaid insurance plans does cover SRS and other treatments for trans health, mine does thankfully and so does California's services.

Then get mad at the health care system outside of the prison system...

Denying prisoners surgery isn't going to magically grant other folks surgery, it's just gonna mean neither get it.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I'm not the doctors who classified it, so I wouldn't know. I believe it's called that because the issue is that the public gender and sex of the person do not match their gender identity.

I'm still confused but I won't derail further. Thanks for explanation.

This thread is perfectly illustrative as to why I dislike progressives.

You are all so ready to shit on some conservative cunt who goes on about their bullshit, but the moment the time comes for you to live up to your ideals, suddenly you have a hundred excuses why this time it doesn't count.

Trans rights means the world when some alt right fuck is attacking a trans person, but when you have to defend a difficult position, suddenly you're on the other side, arguing why people shouldn't have surgery or why SRS is apparently something people do for fucking fun or something

Y'all can just go fuck yourselves. At least the right is an enemy that attacks from the front rather than a friend who stabs you in the back.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
This thread is perfectly illustrative as to why I dislike progressives.

You are all so ready to shit on some conservative cunt who goes on about their bullshit, but the moment the time comes for you to live up to your ideals, suddenly you have a hundred excuses why this time it doesn't count.

Trans rights means the world when some alt right fuck is attacking a trans person, but when you have to defend a difficult position, suddenly you're on the other side, arguing why people shouldn't have surgery or why SRS is apparently something people do for fucking fun or something

Y'all can just go fuck yourselves. At least the right is an enemy that attacks from the front rather than a friend who stabs you in the back.

Gender isn't the only thing that exists on a spectrum. People will agree with your ideals to varying degrees. It's not 100% with you or 100% against you.

Monocle

I say there isn't a harsh enough punishment possible for murder. This is a luxury surgery. They don't need it to keep their heart beating. Who cares if she has mental pain. How do you think her victim feels? Oh right they were killed they had everything taken away from them.

*Edited
So your definition of "luxury" is a medically justified treatment of a severe health issue? Stop using terms you don't understand, please. Callous and ignorant is not a good look.

Gender isn't the only thing that exists on a spectrum. People will agree with your ideals to varying degrees. It's not 100% with you or 100% against you.

Sadly when it comes to trans rights, it is.

You're either in full favor or you're just perpetuating stigma, taboo, discrimination and bigotry.

Volimar

Wow, the responses in this thread have gone from disappointing to downright disgusting. I'm so sorry for trans individuals reading this thread. Please know that your health isn't so meaningless to all of us.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Nope.

Only bigots think it's a "luxury surgery".

Or people who don't realize that this is the only effective solution for a class of people who have a suicide rate over 40%.

Most people who have heard about trans issues have been told that genitals are irrelevant to gender. So it wouldn't be obvious to them that this is necessary, even if they are trying to be liberal and progressive.

Or people who don't realize that this is the only effective solution for a class of people who have a suicide rate over 40%.

Most people who have heard about trans issues have been told that genitals are irrelevant to gender. So it wouldn't be obvious to them that this is necessary, even if they are trying to be liberal and progressive.

In this thread?

It's been explained upwards of 50 times already.

FyreWulff

Transphobia propaganda has done a lot of damage in this regard.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Trans rights are not sarcasm.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but even the trans community doesn't agree on what "full support" is. Does it include non-binary genders? Do we need multiple pronouns or is 'they' sufficient? These are disagreements I've read at least in Reddit's trans community.

Expecting full support and agreement from everyone is just not realistic, and ignoring any shades of grey between levels of disagreement is absurd.

Just because genitals genitals are irrelevant for gender it doesn't mean that they're irrelevant for mental health.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but even the trans community doesn't agree on what "full support" is. Does it include non-binary genders? Do we need multiple pronouns or is 'they' sufficient? These are disagreements I've read at least in Reddit's trans community.

Expecting full support and agreement from everyone is just not realistic, and ignoring any shades of grey between levels of disagreement is absurd.

And any of this has what to do with trans health?

People's understanding of the world and morality aren't "friendship."

Lmfao. Really? Is the rest of the shit you spout this transparent?

If you want to claim this is some ethical creed, I better see you protesting every time a prisoner, even a murderer, gets medical care.

"Full support" is a society free of social bigotry, where a trans person is not treated any differently than a cis person of the same gender. A society where a trans person can seek and find medical and mental health without prejudice, shame or gatekeeping.

Of course it includes non-binary folk, they're human too. Don't try to sea lion me with the pronoun question, just ask people what pronouns they want, it's really not that hard.

Not every trans person needs HRT, therapy or surgery however they should have those options available in case they do. I don't need a triple heart bypass, doesn't mean I should tell people who do to go suck on a lemon and pay the costs out of pocket.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
"Full support" is a society free of social bigotry, where a trans person is not treated any differently than a cis person of the same gender. A society where a trans person can seek and find medical and mental health without prejudice, shame or gatekeeping.

Of course it includes non-binary folk, they're human too. Don't try to sea lion me with the pronoun question, just ask people what pronouns they want, it's really not that hard.

Not every trans person needs HRT, therapy or surgery however they should have those options available in case they do. I don't need a triple heart bypass, doesn't mean I should tell people who do to go suck on a lemon and pay the costs out of pocket.

All of this can be true, but it still doesn't mean people are either 100% with you or 100% against you. People can agree with some parts, but not others.

Anyway, I seem to have derailed the thread unintentionally. I agree that the procedure is medically necessary when diagnosed as such, given the facts about suicide rates.

Huh? I'm in favor of providing this care.

*sigh*

Yeah alright, I should probably step back and cool off if I'm not even attacking the right people. I'm sorry for that.

My first post still stands however. I have seen this happen far too many times to chalk it up to just different morals. I remember the thread where people were more concerned by the driver who hit a trans teen rather than the fact her family drove her to suicide. I remember the thread where people thought freedom of speech trumped trans students rights not to have their university offer a platform of hate towards them. And I will remember this thread, where people kept trying to diminish the importance of trans specific health care.

I see this all the time. Progressives talking a big game, but never following through. I see it when they abandon trans people and I saw it when they abandoned minorities, when after Trump won, progressives where declaring the death of identity politics while simultaneously arguing the Democrats needed to listen to the white working class.

So I apologise to you for my rudeness and aggression. But I do not apologise for my initial post. My frustration, disappointment and anger with many progressives is real, and is unlikely to abate until they actually live up to their stated values.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Wow, the responses in this thread have gone from disappointing to downright disgusting. I'm so sorry for trans individuals reading this thread. Please know that your health isn't so meaningless to all of us.

Agreed. Some posters in here should be fucking ashamed.

All of this can be true, but it still doesn't mean people are either 100% with you or 100% against you. People can agree with some parts, but not others.

Anyway, I seem to have derailed the thread unintentionally. I agree that the procedure is medically necessary when diagnosed as such, given the facts about suicide rates.

The majority cannot rule over the rights of the minority.

Instead of getting mad at a prisoner being granted SRS, why don't you get mad at the system that means a lot transpeople in general can't afford to get it? Medical care should be a right not a privilege, this is a necessary medical procedure and should be available to everybody who needs it, regardless of past discretions. If this woman had cancer and required chemotherapy would you think it OK to deny treatment and let her die a slow, painful death just because she's a prisoner? Regardless of what they've done prisoners are still people and have rights.

Ekai

*sigh*

Yeah alright, I should probably step back and cool off if I'm not even attacking the right people. I'm sorry for that.

My first post still stands however. I have seen this happen far too many times to chalk it up to just different morals. I remember the thread where people were more concerned by the driver who hit a trans teen rather than the fact her family drove her to suicide. I remember the thread where people thought freedom of speech trumped trans students rights not to have their university offer a platform of hate towards them. And I will remember this thread, where people kept trying to diminish the importance of trans specific health care.

I see this all the time. Progressives talking a big game, but never following through. I see it when they abandon trans people and I saw it when they abandoned minorities, when after Drumpf won, progressives where declaring the death of identity politics while simultaneously arguing the Democrats needed to listen to the white working class.

So I apologise to you for my rudeness and aggression. But I do not apologise for my initial post. My frustration, disappointment and anger with many progressives is real, and is unlikely to abate until they actually live up to their stated values.

Part of me feels this whole tirade of yours is a bit hypocritical given the way trans progressives were treated on this board during the primaries.....even how we were treated in the general despite supporting Hillary.

In essence, you should really take a step back to look both at yourself and the greater picture of who is actually doing what you claim. The problem isn't with progressives. The problem is Gaf is far more moderate/right-leaning than it would like to believe. Most particularly when it comes to trans-rights.

And unfortunately they tend to not actively engage with the trans community here despite how often we have to repeat basic information about our health care/rights/etc. etc. etc. Ignorance and wanting education on the matter in order to better understand is fine. Actively arguing hurtful things against us and dismissing our issues at a moment's notice is not. The problem is people can't seem to help but do the later constantly.

This surgery is unique though. It affects mental health. I want my next door neighbor to get the surgery they need to stay mentally healthy. I think the person who kidnapped and murdered a young father of 3 made a decision that should put them on the bottom of the list.

Then you should start fighting harder for better healthcare in wider society, because that's the only way your neighbor gets that.

If anything, this highlights how fucked up the situation with health care is for most people. If prisoners can get the care they need (and they should, at that), and regular citizens can't, that doesn't mean we're doing something wrong in the justice system. It means we're doing something wrong everywhere else.

LionPride

Banned
Do some of you know how much better the healthcare is for prisoners than most everyday people you walk by everyday? Probably not.

Do some of you know how many tax dollars are spent on things that don't affect you, you don't know about, or don't care about? Probably not.

Drawing the line at a sexual reassignment surgery is laughable. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Wait, so they are going to throw a male by birth into a female prison and one that is known to be violent? OK good job California.

I won't even get into why the taxpayers shouldn't foot the bill for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom