• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Legalized It - Hundreds line up for celebratory blunts

The Jason

Yeah sure, pot is perfectly safe. Let's make it even more easily accessible to young teens.

CITATION NEEDED

Also, you think making it legal makes it easier for teens to get it? Its extremely easy to get even when it's illegal, so that's a battle you're not going to make any progress on either way. Just like Alcohol the only way to stop kids from doing it is good parenting.

highrider

Banned
Are we back in 1950? Alcohol, the ultimate hedonistic drug has been legal and taxed by the government for quite some time now. Alcohol leads to more death, rape, unprotected sex, and violence than any other drug in America, yet where are the cries of hedonism? We literally have holidays where you are expected to drink, and the government makes millions of dollars in tax revenue on Alcohol every year.

What about America's obsession with fast food, its obviously hedonism, yet conservatives will defend the right to eat food that leads to obesity, diabetes, heart failure, ect. Should we make that illegal? It's obviously not good for the country right?

By simply taxing something that most people use anyway, California is going to have so much extra revenue it will be beneficent for the entire state.

There’s no counter argument to this. If you have a problem with cannabis, you should have a much bigger problem with alcohol and garbage food. But they never do, it’s this weird compartmentalized mentality.

pramod

Banned
I wasn't questioning the "fairness" of this law, just why people seem to be celebrating it. There are good laws and bad laws. I just don't see how the legalization of any potentially addictive drug will lead to a long term net benefit to society and humanity.

Nester99

I wasn't questioning the "fairness" of this law, just why people seem to be celebrating it. There are good laws and bad laws. I just don't see how the legalization of any potentially addictive drug will lead to a long term net benefit to society and humanity.

This change will he’ll keep normally law abiding citizens out of jail. It will also free up police resources to focus on crime that causes actual harm.

Heath V

There’s no counter argument to this. If you have a problem with cannabis, you should have a much bigger problem with alcohol and garbage food. But they never do, it’s this weird compartmentalized mentality.

Speak for yourself, I hate alcohol and have seen 1st hand what it can do to someone and their family.

People are celebrating it because it’s a step towards legalizing all drugs. Which has shown to reduce drug usage and drug related deaths.

Heath V

People are celebrating it because it’s a step towards legalizing all drugs. Which has shown to reduce drug usage and drug related deaths.

That's not a world that I want to be a part of. Sounds good to me, opium, cocaine and meth on every corner hell yeah! Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.

Yeah sure, pot is perfectly safe. Let's make it even more easily accessible to young teens.

Citation needed. Sounds like a study run by you and your conservative comrades.

THC is not a physiologically addictive substance thus any credible study would account for participants having addictive personalities as the reasoning behind their THC “addiction”. A psychological addiction is different from a physiological one.

Being from the Red State, I assume you lack the intellect to properly express most thoughts aside from “Git R’Done!”

That's not a world that I want to be a part of. Sounds good to me, opium, cocaine and meth on every corner hell yeah! Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.

I could go on and list all sorts of OTC medications that contain derivatives of each drug you just listed but instead I’ll just lol.

Moneal

CITATION NEEDED

Also, you think making it legal makes it easier for teens to get it? Its extremely easy to get even when it's illegal, so that's a battle you're not going to make any progress on either way. Just like Alcohol the only way to stop kids from doing it is good parenting.

Yep, last study I could find on the stats in the US showed pot just edging out cigs for easily availability and was way higher than Alcohol. This was a study from 2002, I remembered it because it was right around the time I graduated. Can't find any more recent stats in the US.

Fnord

Usa is a democracy, a government of the majority,not a government of the right thing. Get used to it, because coke is next.

That said, I don't like drugs.

USA is a Democratic Republic. 8)

Are you really arguing that we should make all drugs illegal? Alcohol is one of them. Do you know anything about prohibition?

Caffeine, too. Caffeine is the most abused drug on the planet. Used in high enough doses, it can be fatal.

This is also not right. Coke is nothing like pot, it actually is physically harmful and should NOT be legal

Lots of things are physically harmful and are legal (and should be). If we tried to ban every substance that was physically harmful, we'd all be eating some nutritive paste for sustenance.

Personally, I have no problem with any drug being legal with the possible exception of meth. And that's only because of the dangers making the stuff poses to nearby, non-involved people.

Without making it legal for teens, it literally could not be more easily accessible to teens than it is now (and has been for as long as I can remember). And I'm an old fart. :)

“Normally” law abiding, yeah ok let’s pick and choose the laws we want to follow.

Try breaking down the laws that are broken by pot smokers by what they do because pot is illegal and what laws are broken not related to its status as an illegal substance. Now remove all of the infractions that are either directly or indirectly related to it being illegal. What do you have left? Not a lot. Probably some DUI and... well, that's honestly probably it. Pot use is, for all intents and purposes, a victimless crime. There's no good reason to be putting pot users (or growers or sellers) in jail. Heck, the reason it's even illegal in the first place is because of racism. So unless you're concerned about crazed black folk runnin' off with and corrupting all the white wimmens, I can't think of a reasonable argument to keep it illegal.

Citation needed. Sounds like a study run by you and your conservative comrades.

THC is not a physiologically addictive substance thus any credible study would account for participants having addictive personalities as the reasoning behind their THC “addiction”. A psychological addiction is different from a physiological one.

Being from the Red State, I assume you lack the intellect to properly express most thoughts aside from “Git R’Done!”

And you were doing so well up until that last sentence... Sigh...

joecanada

About to do it here in Canada too, I couldn't disagree with them more. Just stupid.
Nothing stupid about it. Alcohol and cigarettes are already legal, keeping a less harmful and potentially beneficial drug illegal is what makes no sense. If you want to go for benefits of society make those other two illegal first. Pot never killed anyone.

Heath V

I could go on and list all sorts of OTC medications that contain derivatives of each drug you just listed but instead I’ll just lol.

Go ahead, it's still nowhere the same as what I just mentioned. If you want to live in a society where such things are legal and readily available then that's on you, I have nothing more to say, you just go ahead and lol all you want.

Wait... if it was illegal, then you couldn't have had any experience with potheads. Oh... wait...

What? These idiots had medical cards and there was not one thing wrong with them medically, it's a joke.

highrider

Banned
I always feel like people who are against cannabis legalization don’t understand how readily accessible to anyone it already is. The children! It’s like dude, come on, it’s just one of those things you have to negotiate in life. The illegal market is so firmly established and has multiple fronts both in country and out.

Trogdor1123

Nothing stupid about it. Alcohol and cigarettes are already legal, keeping a less harmful and potentially beneficial drug illegal is what makes no sense. If you want to go for benefits of society make those other two illegal first. Pot never killed anyone.
Except that it has, pot appearances in accidents, fatal or not, goes up massively after legalization. A huge portion of the Canadian population thinks it doesn't impact driving performance. News flash; it does.

Defending pot by saying other things are worse is completely foolishness. It doesn't justify legalization imo. If it's only about taxes or freedom or whatever you want to use to justify it, fine. But acting like bad things won't come from this just doesn't hold water.

joecanada

Except that it has, pot appearances in accidents, fatal or not, goes up massively after legalization. A huge portion of the Canadian population thinks it doesn't impact driving performance. News flash; it does.

Defending pot by saying other things are worse is completely foolishness. It doesn't justify legalization imo. If it's only about taxes or freedom or whatever you want to use to justify it, fine. But acting like bad things won't come from this just doesn't hold water.

nothing happened in Washington state to justify the huge tax dollars currently spent on criminalizing it in the first place, so what exactly is this apocalypse that's going to happen that happened in Colorado , Washington??. its a huge money sink and a waste of time to prosecute crimes for pot or to do anything at all with it. of course some dumb people will do dumb things you could say the same about cell phones while driving, prescription medications, etc. doesn't justify keeping it illegal either. cell phones are the number one cause of accidents now.

"bad things" .... man I'm so scared right now.

BANGS

Banned

Nobody here is advocating for it to be legal to drive under the influence of pot... I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here...

Trogdor1123

Nobody here is advocating for it to be legal to drive under the influence of pot... I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here...
That the morons who do it think it's ok to drive and smoke.

No one here is advocating for it but you can be certain that the numbers back up that lots will. Booze is bad enough, adding another substance that lots think is "fine" won't help.

Kumquat

Recreational pot sales roll out in California, with celebratory 'blunts' and big crowds

iNyAZJ8.jpg

Congrats California. Here's hoping the rest of the country follows suit in the next couple of years.

I think people have finally realized there is zero logical reason to keep treating this like an illegal drug.

Except for Feff Sessions anyways. He thinks it causes violence and is at least as bad a heroin.

Fnord

I always feel like people who are against cannabis legalization don’t understand how readily accessible to anyone it already is. The children! It’s like dude, come on, it’s just one of those things you have to negotiate in life. The illegal market is so firmly established and has multiple fronts both in country and out.

Indeed. I am pretty sure that during my whole life (once I became aware of its existence), I have never not known at least one person I could call at the drop of a hat to get pot. If I used it. Which I don't. Because it makes me nauseated.

Not necessarily.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-marijuana-traffic-deaths-fell-idUSKBN14H1LQ

Osukaa

I've been around pot alot in my younger days due to growing up in poor places where people would see it to make a living. I've never smoked the stuff and I hate the way it smells. If i'm being honest I would usually frown upon those that use it just because of my experience with the people that were in my neighborhood or even family members who used it daily, but now that I'm away from all that and had alot of time to think about it I honestly have changed my views on it. I would still never do it and I will probably always consider it a drug just due to how it was drilled into us when we were young with all the warnings of it from school or even advertisements on TV saying its bad, but I can now understand how it helps people with nerves/handicaps/pain/etc.

At first I was like oh no were going to let people do drugs and be stupid and all that but I then realized that alot of people I knew were doing it and they were completely "normal" in my definition of the word. I tend to look at it now a bit like cigarettes in that I hate the way they smell and they give me headaches and Id never smoke them but I have no right to judge what you wanna do if something is legal and not that harmful. I appreciate that its considered a DUI if your driving while high and I hope its the same law that it should be smoked only in designated areas or in the privacy of your own home. Other than that I say fck it let them smoke weed and get high just please don't do it by me LOL with everything going on in this world Id say legalizing weed is the least of my worries.

BANGS

Banned
That the morons who do it think it's ok to drive and smoke.

No one here is advocating for it but you can be certain that the numbers back up that lots will. Booze is bad enough, adding another substance that lots think is "fine" won't help.

This is like saying we shouldn't sell a new type of pen because people might stab eachother in the face with it... pretty weak logic IMO...

Alebrije

It will be interesting in the long run how this affect drug cartels in Mexico since most of pot used in California comes from there. will growers move to California ? I am afraid this could open the door to a new war on the crop fields.

highrider

Banned
It will be interesting in the long run how this affect drug cartels in Mexico since most of pot used in California comes from there. will growers move to California ? I am afraid this could open the door to a new war on the crop fields.

Mexican weed is dirt or commercial grade, you couldn’t give that stuff away in DC. Would think Cali would be mostly local growers, not saying you’re wrong, just would surprise me.

Moneal

Saw a documentary on the subject and they were already moving into Cali. Mostly because its easier and cheaper to transport and sell pot grown in Cali than pot grown in mexico. If it were legal everywhere, it would put a big dent in the Cartels, they would probably just move off pot all together. Since legalizing it would only drive the price down.

Tapioca

Banned
If more people did drugs the world would be a better place.

Dead serious.

The anti-drug people in this thread seem miserable. Please leave the USA. We don't want you.

Top Bottom