• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Timeaisis

giphy.gif

Coppanuva

If there is a full seer, I would hope they would look at you and then fight tooth and nail for you on day 3. I'd rather not waste the vote if you are indeed a tourist.

I'd argue the Seer might be best going after some other people, going either to the really active people, or inactive. Someone like you Sorian or LoC for active people, and then the replacement people like Vylash and the like. This would give us two options, either rallying behind active confirmed people, or taking out potential hidden Cultist inactives.

I wanted to respond to these because I think calling this out is important. I was inclined to agree with Sorian at first, having a seer prove my innocence WOULD be nice, but I don't think it's the best move long-term. Right now people seem town between voting for Blargonaut, Me, or Matt Attack. The debate is more of "Who should we kill first?" rather than "Who do we kill?", since it's decided that Blargonaut and I are close to the top of the chopping block. There's very few people supporting me. I fear if a seer looks at me, and backs me up, they'll be unwittingly drawing a giant target on their back (after all, it would be a pretty big about face at this point and would out them as a seer to the cultists).

If you're a seer thinking about examining me, I urge you to examine someone else. I'm prepared to die within the next 2 day phases. Use the extra night to gather other information, preventing the loss of me isn't worth giving the cultists a clue who our seer is. Get information on people we're more unsure of, use that to get us a win.

ultron87

If Blarg poses no threat we can lynch him whenever we want. The longer this game continues, the more valuable his death becomes. If the Cultists choose to kill him on some night, any night, boom! There's our "blocked night kill" and we haven't wasted a lynch.

Lynching Blarg now is a waste of his utility.
The no death night death is worth more now. It gets worse as potential investigative roles die off from bad lynches or cultist kills,

latest

I don't know who to believe anymore...

If Mattack's tellin' the truth then it buys us another night, but if he's lyin', he hits the jackpot and wins as soon as Blarg stops breathin'.

Blarg seemed so defeated earlier, but now he's got some sorta second wind....

I feel like a blackjack player hittin' on a ten.

HE IS LYING OUT OF HIS TEETH.

HOW CAN HE CLAIM TO BE A TOWN POWER ROLE WHEN HE'S CLEARLY GUNNING TO KILL OFF THE TOWN'S ONLY CONFIRMED SUPERWEAPON TOO SOON? HE CONFIRMED THE DETAILS HIMSELF.

How powerful do you think these "Cultists" are?

YOU have power roles too! YOU, townsfolk!

Rally around me tonight, APPLY ALL YOUR POWERS TO ME, TONIGHT.

COURAGE IS A GAMBLE, YOU DOGS.

FIGHT WITH ME.

HOW CAN HE CLAIM TO BE A TOWN POWER ROLE WHEN HE'S CLEARLY GUNNING TO KILL OFF THE TOWN'S ONLY CONFIRMED SUPERWEAPON TOO SOON? HE CONFIRMED THE DETAILS HIMSELF.

FIGHT WITH ME.

Vote Matt Attack to Foil the Cultist Conspiracy.

Don't talk to me about gamblin', you cur. The best thing you can do for yerself right now is to give us a complete rundown of your role and one good reason why keeping you alive will strengthen the group in th' long run.

No more double-talk. No more riddles. Just th' facts.

So, if I understand you correctly. You are a ____? Tasked with finding and lynching Lovecraft? Your win condition is the same as the rest of ours?

Almost correct. I'm tasked with helping to ensure that no cultist players are left in the game. To help with this task, I have the ability to search for Lovecraft, alongside the information of what happens when his lynching provides.

Also, my role name actually isn't a generic turn- I actually have a name. I was hoping not to have to reveal it (because I feel kind of vulnerable with so much out in the open), but if the people insist then I see little reason to hide it.

What's your role name, and why is Blarg trying to get us to kill you?

I am Bastian Balthazar Bux. I can't say for sure why he wants me to be lynched now. I guess he wants a stay of execution?

I've already explained my reasoning.

Droplet

FIGHT WITH ME.

If killing you is his win condition, that probably wouldn't make him Cult either. If we're using the reasoning that we don't want to waste a lynch on you, why would we waste a lynch on him?

RetroMG

Wow. My head is spinning.

UNVOTE: Blargonaut

Just a precaution until we get this sorted. Not saying I won't pull the trigger, just uncocking the gun, so to speak.

I think it's entirely possible Matt and Blarg are both telling the truth, and these roles were designed to conflict with each other.

Let's kill Coppa, guys.

UNVOTE: Blargonaut

VOTE: Matt Attack

I'm not convinced by Blarg, but I'm less convinced by Matt.

I am a town role who knew what happens when Lovecraft is lynched. I find out that Blarg is Lovecraft. I push for his lynch and ultimately role claim because not only does it block the cultist's sacrifice, but his play has been so anti-town that he's already been nearly lynched once.

Ask me anything you want, if there's anything about my story that's bugging you I'm confident I can alleviate your concerns.

RetroMG

I have one problem with everything that has happened, and I'll post it and then go to sleep.

The Game Mods for this season were advised to keep roles very general, were they not? Putting Lovecraft into his own story is already pretty weird, but at least he's someone people have heard of. I have no freaking clue who Bastian Balthazar Bux is, and I feel like Crab would take issue with something that specific.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe that argument is too meta, maybe I need sleep. (I definitely need sleep.) but something is hinky about this whole situation.

Ok. I'm going to go Google Bastian Balthazar Bux and then go to bed.

Flame_AC

I am a town role who knew what happens when Lovecraft is lynched. I find out that Blarg is Lovecraft. I push for his lynch and ultimately role claim because not only does it block the cultist's sacrifice, but his play has been so anti-town that he's already been nearly lynched once.

Ask me anything you want, if there's anything about my story that's bugging you I'm confident I can alleviate your concerns.

It's just hard to believe that there's a role dedicated to someone that isn't a lyncher or unlyncher. Both of your roles go hand in hand, I just don't know if your truthful about your win condition.

I have one problem with everything that has happened, and I'll post it and then go to sleep.

The Game Mods for this season were advised to keep roles very general, were they not? Putting Lovecraft into his own story is already pretty weird, but at least he's someone people have heard of. I have no freaking clue who Bastian Balthazar Bux is, and I feel like Crab would take issue with something that specific.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe that argument is too meta, maybe I need sleep. (I definitely need sleep.) but something is hinky about this whole situation.

Ok. I'm going to go Google Bastian Balthazar Bux and then go to bed.

Hey, I googled him too. Was actually a pretty interesting story he was in, though I'm not sure I see the connection as to why he'd hunt Lovecraft.

Coppanuva

Possible, but unlikely. A Town Role that's used to sniff out other Town roles. I'm not buying it. Someone is lying about alignment.

Blargonaut hasn't said he's strictly town aligned, only that he's pro-town. That's not quite the same thing, it's a semantic difference. Blargonaut has a goal that is in line with the Town's (kill 3 cultists), however it's not necessarily the same as ours (kill all cultists). It's possible Blargonaut is a neutral party whose goal is in line with ours for the time being, but in the end phases clashes with us.

I'm not gonna let Coppa die today.

Appreciated, though not sure how much you can do here.

Blargonaut hasn't said he's strictly town aligned, only that he's pro-town. That's not quite the same thing, it's a semantic difference. Blargonaut has a goal that is in line with the Town's (kill 3 cultists), however it's not necessarily the same as ours (kill all cultists). It's possible Blargonaut is a neutral party whose goal is in line with ours for the time being, but in the end phases clashes with us.

What if Blarg is leaving something out an important note? What if Blarg is killed at night the Cultists get an extra kill? This information may have been held back from Mattattack(would make lynching Blarg too easy), and seems to even out the role some.

Coppanuva

What if Blarg is leaving something out an important note? What if Blarg is killed at night the Cultists get an extra kill? This information may have been held back from Mattattack(would make lynching Blarg too easy), and seems to even out the role some.

So are you in favor of killing blarg or matt now then? I'm not sure which you're advocating for here, since it sounds like if that's the case, lynching blargonaut would be much better for us (since it prevents the cultists from evicting, and would prevent a possible double evict).

Flame_AC

Ahhhhhh. I agree that would be a good balance.

UNVOTE: Matt Attack

VOTE: Sorian

Sorian won't be lynched, but I don't want my vote on any of the leading candidates yet, so Sorian can have an extra vote. <3

Obligatory Reasoning: Posts too much and what he did to Tucah.

It's just hard to believe that there's a role dedicated to someone that isn't a lyncher or unlyncher. Both of your roles go hand in hand, I just don't know if your truthful about your win condition.

We're at an impasse then. All I can say is that I hope you can read over my actions thus far and maybe understand why you'd do things similarly to how I've done them if you were in my situation. If you, or anybody else ends up with any specific questions, lay them on me.

Well, I'm afraid that like you say, my role has nothing about that. It's only speculation and even if it were true, I doubt that Blarg or a cultist would want to reveal.

Child murder again, I'm afraid.

GAFia clearly needs an intervention at this point.

So are you in favor of killing blarg or matt now then? I'm not sure which you're advocating for here, since it sounds like if that's the case, lynching blargonaut would be much better for us (since it prevents the cultists from evicting, and would prevent a possible double evict).

I'm just trying to wrap my head on alignments. This role situation made no sense at first but I think I've got it.

Blarg = Neutral, Passive Role who helps the side that kills him. With his dying breath stops the Cult for 1 night, or when Sacrificed to Cthulhu empowers the Cultists with an extra Night kill. 3 Cultists need to die for win condition.
Matt Attack = Town, Active role that tries to find LC before Cultists.

My Vote stays on Blarg.

I'm just trying to wrap my head on alignments. This role situation made no sense at first but I think I've got it.

Blarg = Neutral, Passive Role who helps the side that kills him. With his dying breath stops the Cult for 1 night, or when Sacrificed to Cthulhu empowers the Cultists with an extra Night kill. 3 Cultists need to die for win condition.
Matt Attack = Town, Active role that tries to find LC before Cultists.

My Vote stays on Blarg.

This makes a lot of sense.

Droplet

Droplet, what's your view on the situation? Who do you think we should lynch?
(Sorian)

I don't want to lynch Blarg right now. If he really isn't the 3rd party who killed LP, I think we're back at square one. If he's not cult, and he's not killing anyone, I don't see any real reason to waste him. I don't know why Matt Attack thought it was so pressing to reveal this information right now either. I'm not really buying LoC's explanation, but if it's true it'd be a terrible idea to let him live. So, Matt Attack or Blarg, confirm?

If this was the last minute of the day phase, I think I would vote Coppanuva. But honestly right now we have more time to think about it, and I need more time to process this rapid fire role claiming.

If LoC is right it explains Blarg's pseudo-Town, survive by any means necessary playstyle. He wanted to appear suspicious enough to keep the Cultists away but helpful enough to reach his win condition.

Flame_AC

So then the next question becomes, can Blarg survive the night? If not, he dies now. If so, then perhaps we can let him live on.

zyukkNl.gif

I am a known quantity now, yet again, I guess. My role's name is literally H. P. Lovecraft, and I am a Town-aligned Neutral (quite strange phrasing). However, I made a promise to a certain someone and I will not speak further about my sources of intel. Have fun! ;) Forgive me, steward. I know I promised you I wouldn't mention this to them, but now I must say it here as the eventuality I feared is upon me and I must:

To the Town; my Win condition is achieved once 3 Cultists are dead. This was stated in my Role PM, and this was how I knew there was a minimum of 3 Cultists present among us. You will find that Matt Attack has confirmed this number himself.

I have no Night or Day powers. No killing powers at all. It was a ruse I set up, intended to mask my helplessness. This powerlessness was why I told you all that you must provide, provide these 3 Cultist deaths for me, and why I referred to you as my fingers. my hands. The Mishima beef steak I referred to as me sleeping on it as my pillow and being unable to sleep at night because of the "stupid sand", was a thinly-veiled hint that I was a type of Vigilante that kept a weapon (a "stake") close by, and that I was restless at night, able to kill whoever visited me. This too was all a lie, a ruse intended to mask my powerlessness. There's more hints in my puzzles, and I will happily answer your questions regarding them, provide solutions and dispel the mystery for you.

My only power is a passive power that activates upon lynching, and prevents the Cultists from sacrificing anyone the Night after my lynching. The typed lore states that since I am the Old Ones' creator, my death would weaken them, and so lead to his handicap of the Cult.

My death seems inevitable now, but logically so. I had been planning to sacrifice myself at an opportune time for the Town's sake since the beginning. I've never cared about a personal win; everything I've done, I've done for the Town since the start, setting myself up as bait, a convenient patch of scummy fly-paper to latch convenient votes onto to allow others to pretend they're participating; classic Cultist/Mafia behaviour. I suggest you all take a closer look at who has been antagonizing me since the start--

ultron87
Matt Attack
Flame_AC
Timeaisis

--are the most pertinent ones off the top of my head. Do they honestly dislike me, or has it just been a convenient ruse for them? Please, be kind, rewind. My memory is entirely fallible, in honest truth I'm not that good at this whole analysis shtick. I prefer to fly-by-wire. ;) I haven't read the archives myself to reaffirm anything, at the moment.

It wasn't supposed to be this soon. :( As always, my intention was to hide in plain sight, positioning myself as a Neutral with the greatest power of all: information. Everyone loves information, and I wrapped it all up in neat little ribbons and twine and caltrops for you all to disentangle, if you so chose. Some of it was misinformation, like my G-Men faction existence claim, but most of it was intended for you to discover my Win condition; and, Solute 2 was intended to help you discover that I was indeed H. P. Lovecraft, should you have known a bit about his biography, and the standing correspondence he had with a Mr. R. H. Barlow in Florida (initially hinted by the Florida GIF of a guy turning off his mic and turning away; ORANGE (fruit), MIC (gif), STATE (Florida), ASSOCIATE (of Lovecraft), EXTRAPOLATE WITH RESEARCH (the lore behind the game)). The hints were all admittedly a bit abstract and obscure, but I am willing to field any and all questions now, regarding my puzzles and their solutions. Through this unique play-style, Town couldn't lynch me because I seem like an important informant, and Mafia wouldn't night-kill me because I provide a good daytime cover for them with my smokescreen of crazy. I literally make myself untouchable with words.

I provided the textual framework for my character build to you all, and I simply let you fill my mouth with words. The greatest fear is fear of the unknown, and all that. I let you create me. By placing small hints of information, I let your own imaginations run wild. I allowed you to convince yourselves that I was a potential serial killer, a potential vigilante, a potential protector role, by simply insinuating it through select choices of language and wordplay. I allowed myself to tease activity out of you all through my erratic posts, in the hopes I would flush potential cultists out, being an easy, convenient target, and all that.

I'd like to note; Darryl is a dangerous player who has been using me as a smokescreen since the beginning, and I don't know what he's been doing all this time. Has he simply been ignoring the game? Is he actually invested? Or has he been biding his time, reading all the little details and habits I've so conveniently pulled out of you all for him to avail of for free? He has been a non-entity for a very long time now. I highly suggest you start throwing some firewood underneath him before it's too late.

I also suggest you heat up Neuromancer, Droplet and OceanicAir in due course.

Anyways, I posted 'Fool,' as a dramatic reflex, before realizing the gravity of my Jenga like two seconds later. #xanatos

I've probably left out a bunch and forgotten to mention stuff, so I guess I'll start taking questions now. :eek:

---

Also, I warn you all; Matt Attack has framed himself as an Town investigator/spy, but his existence was stated to me in my role PM, that someone was actively hunting me. The description in my role PM seemingly framed him as my antagonist, my opposite, literally stating that he is someone who should not be on this island, one who should not be part of this story and as someone who was out to get me from the very start. Since I am a Neutral pro-Town party, I am guessing that he is a Neutral pro-Cult individual, but I am completely unsure. Glean from that what you will.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

^This was my infodump that I had planned to drop in the case of my death. I tried to update it as events passed, so some of it has already been stated, some of it may be redundant in light of recent info; but, here is the whole thing. I hope it helps convince you to do the right thing today, and tonight. Matt Attack must die. He is confirmed anti-Town, and self-confirmed, no less.

You think my play-style has been anti-Town? You have been gravely mistaken. I have been pro-Town from the start. I always play pro-Town, even if my methods are questionable. A bad cop, yo.

Lawful Evil as ever.

Ask me questions, please. And townsfolk, keep me alive for as long as you can tonight and through subsequent nights, until my sacrifice power can actually mean something.

I don't fear death, lynching.

What I truly fear is wasting my life, and my role.

Darryl

Banned
I've been ignoring Blarg the vast majority of the time and I'll continue to do so in favor of hunting scum once all the fucking attention seekers get themselves off already. Rub one out and go to bed.

Droplet

So you didn't have any information.

I still don't understand why we should be killing Matt Attack. He's your direct opposite, you were notified about him, and yet aside from that you weren't told anything? Meanwhile, he was told everything about you?

Flame_AC

To Blarg: I imagine, should Matt somehow turn out to not be the person you say he is, you'll understand that you are the next to die? I understand your distractionary gambit tostay alive from the Cultists, but don't you think it hurt the town more? Had you had a couple extra votes on you on Day 1, say 7 instead of 4 or 5, would you have given all this stuff up? Would you have called out the existence of another player, Matt, and how do you think that would've changed the end of Day 1? Who do you think is the second Night 1 killer?

Also, I'm not sorry for going after what I viewed as a distraction. Your answer post was very fulfilling to read however and I applaud you for your skill.

I don't know why Matt Attack thought it was so pressing to reveal this information right now either.

I've found Blarg's play to be confusing and hurtful to town thus far, making him a lynch candidate for me. I also became privy to the fact that his lynching would block the cultists tonight, making him doubly appealing as a candidate to lynch. I had what I needed to make my role useful, and little reason to believe that Blarg was actually helping us. That led me to where we are now.

Also, I warn you all; Matt Attack has framed himself as an Town investigator/spy, but his existence was stated to me in my role PM, that someone was actively hunting me. The description in my role PM seemingly framed him as my antagonist, my opposite, literally stating that he is someone who should not be on this island, one who should not be part of this story and as someone who was out to get me from the very start. Since I am a Neutral pro-Town party, I am guessing that he is a Neutral pro-Cult individual, but I am completely unsure. Glean from that what you will.

My role supports the idea that I shouldn't be on this island- I am visiting from a book. For whatever reason, I know of the presence of Lovecraft and thanks to my knowledge of the book, I know that he is a person of importance to the cultists. That's how my role is framed. If you have truly been interested in helping town, then I'm sorry that things turned out this way. But I wasn't able to turn a blind eye to the fact that you essentially refused to meaningfully engage with the rest of us. Your behavior was and is anti-town. I don't think I made an incorrect choice with the information I had.

Eh. I don't understand why Matt Attack would be procult. The ability he's trying to trigger is protown. Your campaign against Matt Attack is dumb. You're trying to sell the little boy from Neverending Story as evil.

Coppanuva

Blargonaut: where do I fit into this? You've been adamantly going after me for 2 days now, backing off only when I had you in a stalemate in day 1. Yet here you name 4 other people as suspicious and worth following, suddenly I'm not on your list. Why?

Flame_AC

Blargonaut: where do I fit into this? You've been adamantly going after me for 2 days now, backing off only when I had you in a stalemate in day 1. Yet here you name 4 other people as suspicious and worth following, suddenly I'm not on your list. Why?

His list of 4 people are those who have extensively gone after him, such as myself. You haven't yet made significant attacks on him. Great question as to why Blarg was pushing for you earlier though, I'd certainly like to know.

t1439578800z0.png

There are still 2 days left in the Day, it's 7:30AM here and I'm gonna go sleep now. I'll come back in a few hours and try to mass-quote everyone to answer questions in a few hours. I'll reiterate before I go; I have nothing left to hide. No more puzzles. No more mind-games. There is only my heaving naked ass and the power I release upon death, that renders the Cultists helpless for 1 Night.

Sightseers, I leave it up to you; are you willing to sacrifice me and my power on Night 2,

or

are you willing to fight each night to protect me until you can deliver me straight to the slimy core of this tentacle fuck before setting me off?

Matt Attack offers you no such power, no such option. All he has to offer is his annoying, ugly avatar and faux-naive playstyle. I don't care if he's some snotty little brat from some pulp dime shit. I'm the superior snotty little brat from a kickass relevant modern kids' show. Shove that between your pages and fuck it, I sware down, bruv.

---
Tourists, your votes are your power, and I literally give you a free Day to exercise this power.

I'm not Armageddon Steve Buscemi anymore. I'm fucking NASA Bruce Willis.

It's up to you to detonate me as you see fit.

I was fucking with you.

Sorry.

Top Bottom