• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

unomas

Banned
chespace said:
I LOVE THIS GAME.

LOVE IT.

Agreed, I'm loving it and I suck at it! I'm at a level 20 after playing online the last three nights and my kill/death ratio is .67<-----ouch ;) Even though I'm not very good the game is pretty fun and all I've been playing is TDM. I also like the leveling system and perks, the only thing that pisses me off is people being able to camp so much on certain levels. Damn does it feel good to knife someone!

MoxManiac

Eh, I don't think camping is really that much of a problem, with the way the levels are designed. One thing's for sure, snipers have it rough. When i'm able to outsnipe a sniper in a tiny window halfway across the map with my M16, something is wrong.

Victrix

*beard*
womp said:
When you die or have a extra second where you won't get ambushed...Just go to your dashboard in mid match (The big XBOX Live button on your pad), hit the far right tab, look for the guy and simply hit mute.

Works like a charm, I do it all the time.

You just summed up exactly why I want mute-non-friends or mute-non-teammates :p

I really wish private chat let you host more than one person. We had a stupendously ghetto ventrilo setup while playing, which works (and sounds far better of course), but inconvenient barely covers that.

Private chat would also be preferable, because muting, however it is done, results in you talking over teammates. No problem for you and friends who have them muted, but even more annoying for your poor teammates who haven't muted the assjacks. Now they get assjacks plus... well, more assjacks talking over each other.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Aight so who on here likes to play search and destroy? i love it but can't stand being on a team with random people. gt is Meani Pants add me if you are up for a match.

Tokubetsu

MoxManiac said:
Eh, I don't think camping is really that much of a problem, with the way the levels are designed. One thing's for sure, snipers have it rough. When i'm able to outsnipe a sniper in a tiny window halfway across the map with my M16, something is wrong.

I think it's more along the lines of him not doing what he's supposed to..well. The sniper rifle is only efficient on a couple maps and even then you have to be careful and try to be aware of your surroundings. Kill cam and tracers make sniping in COD games a bit more difficult in general.

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Man, as a general rule I start FPS games with the hardest difficulty.

Veteran CoD4 was not fun. At. All. Ugh. Still trying to beat Mile High under a minute. Since I passed the game only on Veteran, I went back and played some lvls on Regular... dang so much more fun haha.

woodchuck

Stoney Mason said:
Agreed. The chopper really does seem to go down quick nowadays if you are playing with decent people.

Also surprisingly unlike a lot of games on Live, the racists/loud talkers/singers I never seem to run into. I don't know if I'm just getting lucky or something because it happens on nearly every other game on Live but I swear people barely talk in this game. It's actually a little frustrating because I wish there was a little more casual strategic talk once the game is underway like I remember in Ghost Recon, or even that occurs in Halo but outside of the occasional grunts or curse words when your team is getting their ass kicked it's pretty quiet when I play. I strictly play Team Deathmatch though so maybe that has something to do with it.

I play Search and Destroy and Team Hardcore mostly. You hear more tactics and stuff in those modes. In Team Deathmatch, I don't see many people actually using teamwork. They all want to be the hero.

unomas

Banned
sugaki said:
Man, as a general rule I start FPS games with the hardest difficulty.

Veteran CoD4 was not fun. At. All. Ugh. Still trying to beat Mile High under a minute. Since I passed the game only on Veteran, I went back and played some lvls on Regular... dang so much more fun haha.

Veteran is a pain for sure, some parts are crazy cheap/hard but that was part of the fun in beating it for me. As far as mile high club, I posted a youtube link in this thread where a guy beat it only using the knife. That video gave me a good strategy to use for beating it. I'm 1000/1000 now, time to get back online and work on that K/D ratio. This is the best game I've played in a long long time, truly amazing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So, yea, a little LTTP here but finally got my internet working and able to play the PC version (been stuck with playing the PS3 version at weekends) and it's awesome. Maybe I just joined a good game, but everything seemed to just click and I managed a 16 kills to 4 deaths on my first game. I'm sure it's been said before, but honestly I can't see why people were crying over the perks and weapons, with the standard Assault class I was easily able to compete, I never even bothered to pickup the weapons just sitting around.

TeTr1C

I reached 55 for my first time the other day, and now I'm pretty much just riding it out. I'm only playing maybe every other day. I know I have a really long road ahead of me. :lol

sugaki

unomas said:
Veteran is a pain for sure, some parts are crazy cheap/hard but that was part of the fun in beating it for me. As far as mile high club, I posted a youtube link in this thread where a guy beat it only using the knife. That video gave me a good strategy to use for beating it. I'm 1000/1000 now, time to get back online and work on that K/D ratio. This is the best game I've played in a long long time, truly amazing.

I finally beat Mile High Club (with some skill and lots of luck), whew. 1000/1000 ftw.

FFChris

Quick question, are more maps avaliable when you are playing on Live, because I'm looking at the maps on split-screen mode and Overgrown, a map from the beta, isn't there.

Narag

I really wish Sabotage had some sort of friendly fire in effect. Airstrike/Grenading the explosives nonstop can easily eat up the entire countdown.

Rogosh

Wario64 said:
Okay, is there some kind of trick to Mile High Club on veteran? 60 seconds is not enough time.

It's definitely possible, just insanely hard. You can't play with one bit of hesitation, you'll have to charge through stunned enemies, and be sure to take each room at a fast steady pace, but it's possible. BTW, be sure to wait until the guy at the end sticks his head out before you shoot him, so you don't find yourself starting over for accidentally shooting him in the body instead. Personally, i didn't let myself start playing cod4 on veteran until i had beaten that section on vet first, but i guess i'm a bit weird like that.

sugaki

Wario64 said:
Okay, is there some kind of trick to Mile High Club on veteran? 60 seconds is not enough time.

The key is flash bangs and knowing when to advance. I actually got through it with 6-8 secs or so to spare.

If you do stop (to reload, recover from injuries), you have to do it at a spot where your buddies will keep advancing. If you pass a certain point, it triggers your buddies to move forward, which is important (enemies aim for your indestructible buddies instead, and your buddies do some killing). For that first clump of enemies that spawn, for example, you want to come to rest behind the seats (where those two soldiers are visible from the start of the lvl), NOT in the conference room. If you stay in the meeting room your buddies won't advance.

Do that, and you can get by even without amazing aiming skills. Oh, and I also pick up the shotgun from that guard standing at the conference room entrance. Easier to blast through ppl in your way.

zam

sugaki said:
The key is flash bangs and knowing when to advance. I actually got through it with 6-8 secs or so to spare.

If you do stop (to reload, recover from injuries), you have to do it at a spot where your buddies will keep advancing. If you pass a certain point, it triggers your buddies to move forward, which is important (enemies aim for your indestructible buddies instead, and your buddies do some killing). For that first clump of enemies that spawn, for example, you want to come to rest behind the seats (where those two soldiers are visible from the start of the lvl), NOT in the conference room. If you stay in the meeting room your buddies won't advance.

Do that, and you can get by even without amazing aiming skills. Oh, and I also pick up the shotgun from that guard standing at the conference room entrance. Easier to blast through ppl in your way.
Also, at the start, knife the dude in the bathroom, shoot the guy up ahead to the right with your mp5, flash, move up at shoot as many you can with your pistol, then crouch down by the seats on the right and pick up the dudes P90.

The P90 has a huge clip, and that way towards the end (second floor) you have a fully loaded mp5 to swap to.

EekTheKat

I was just in a match with a bunch of pick ups vs. some retarded clan. It felt so good to shut them the hell up when my team consisting of a bunch of PUGs managed to beat them in domination 200 -161 :lol

Some guy in that clan talked trash all throughout the lobby too. If you're going to talk trash, at least make sure you team's good enough to win :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How big is the difficulty gap between Hardened and Veteran? I'm in the middle of my first playthrough on Hardened and I'm at 'No fighting in the War Room'.

-_- to say the least.

sugaki

Domino Theory said:
How big is the difficulty gap between Hardened and Veteran? I'm in the middle of my first playthrough on Hardened and I'm at 'No fighting in the War Room'.

-_- to say the least.

I haven't played it on anything besides veteran (and recruit for the laptops), but I'll say I hated it, immensely. Leave your arm out for half a second and some of those guys kill you. You have to do a lot of blind strafing and know exactly where the enemies are so you can hit them. If you actually stepping out and aim for them they kill you.

Oo StinkFist oO said:
Anyone know when an update will be? IE new maps or new perks?

A small update is coming to fix a few problems like host migration and such. That should be coming soon but I'm scared due to the holidays we won't get it until next year. There has been no official word on downloadable content like new maps from what I've seen. Probably Spring of next year if at all I would guess.

Dirtbag

HEADQUARTERS!!

If you haven't played headquarters mode (with a good team vs. good team),
you pretty much haven't played COD4 online yet.

This game mode needs to be present in every FPS from here on. It is perfect.

Tokubetsu

Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

Pretty much. I just got done playing about 2 hours of Team Hardcore Headquarters (PC) and it's awesome. You gain so much EXP from it as well. I'm surprised more people don't play it.

Mugen

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

Yeah, HQ is my favorite. Dom is pretty good too.

Sean

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

It would be fun but it's ruined from the people abusing grenades. All people do is use 3x frag perk + sonic boom + martyrdom and toss grenades everywhere (especially on the HQ). It's extremely annoying and makes the mode unplayable.

It's not as big a problem on Overgrown but on other smaller maps it's just ridiculous. Shipment is the worst offender by far.

Narag

TTP said:
I like S&D more. I like the tension. Reminds me of SOCOM.

S&D is fantastic. I've run into the nicer players on this mode too as everyone I've played with has just been having a good time. I think this was the mode my brother and I were playing when our team defused the bomb at .1 second left. :lol

unomas

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

I haven't played headquarters yet, I'll definitely play tonight.

ElyrionX

Stoney Mason said:
A small update is coming to fix a few problems like host migration and such. That should be coming soon but I'm scared due to the holidays we won't get it until next year. There has been no official word on downloadable content like new maps from what I've seen. Probably Spring of next year if at all I would guess.

I heard the ACOG scope would be "fixed". Any idea how it would be "fixed"?

h3ro

Sean said:
It would be fun but it's ruined from the people abusing grenades. All people do is use 3x frag perk + sonic boom + martyrdom and toss grenades everywhere (especially on the HQ). It's extremely annoying and makes the mode unplayable.

It's not as big a problem on Overgrown but on other smaller maps it's just ridiculous. Shipment is the worst offender by far.

Yeah, its horrible in Bog too, since the laptop will spawn in those cargo boxes with openings on both sides, leading to one big grenade launching clusterfuck...

HQ is awesome though, the only mode I play... plus, with a good team, you can gain lots of points and that was a great bonus during the double XP weekend...

If anyone doesnt mind trading me their PS3 version for my 360 version straight up? I know its a long shot but if anyone is willing im down.

h3ro

Lion Heart said:
If anyone doesnt mind trading me their PS3 version for my 360 version straight up? I know its a long shot but if anyone is willing im down.

Any reason?

Oh and In Before "why are you trading for the inferior version BS..."

Insaniac

Do you think they will ever have DLC with new weapons, perks and challenges? I love unlocking new stuff, and once I unlocked every weapon and perk, and tried out the various combinations, I will be sad. (plus i'm kind of disappointed at the lack of variation in some weapons.)

h3ro said:
Any reason?

Oh and In Before "why are you trading for the inferior version BS..."

I am giving my 360 to my brother (i had to choose one console :( ) and I still want to play the shit out of this game.

Stantron

h3ro said:
Stantron.. GREAT avatar!
Thanks. I made it when the beta info got posted on the cod website.
Before that, I was sporting this...
GAF.gif
MGS cosplay action. :lol

Narag

Insaniac said:
Do you think they will ever have DLC with new weapons, perks and challenges? I love unlocking new stuff, and once I unlocked every weapon and perk, and tried out the various combinations, I will be sad. (plus i'm kind of disappointed at the lack of variation in some weapons.)

I wouldn't mind more small missions a la Mile High Club when they do add DLC.

Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

HQ + Hardcore is the only mode I enjoy.

All the others are too chaotic and messy for the tactical nature of its gameplay. Very juvenile.

HQ turns that mess into far better and focused firefights. More gunfight standoffs between 2 sides, basically.

A shootout between 2 forces in 2 different apartments across a small park; one side entrenched at the end of a street while the other slowly pushes up it behind cover; etc.

Such things almost never occur in the other messy modes but HQ creates those scenarios fairly well. About the only flaw that transfers over from the other chaotic modes is grenade spam, and sadly that's still horrible.

Top Bottom