• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
KyanMehwulfe said:
HQ + Hardcore is the only mode I enjoy.

All the others are too chaotic and messy for the tactical nature of its gameplay. Very juvenile.

HQ turns that mess into far better and focused firefights. More gunfight standoffs between 2 sides, basically.

A shootout between 2 forces in 2 different apartments across a small park; one side entrenched at the end of a street while the other slowly pushes up it behind cover; etc.

Such things almost never occur in the other messy modes but HQ creates those scenarios fairly well. About the only flaw that transfers over from the other chaotic modes is grenade spam, and sadly that's still horrible.

I totally agree.

Dirtbag

Sean said:
It would be fun but it's ruined from the people abusing grenades. All people do is use 3x frag perk + sonic boom + martyrdom and toss grenades everywhere (especially on the HQ). It's extremely annoying and makes the mode unplayable.

It's not as big a problem on Overgrown but on other smaller maps it's just ridiculous. Shipment is the worst offender by far.

Honestly, I think you could say that the 3x grenade + Sonic Boom + Martyrdom ruins every game mode though. HQ being no different. I outright refuse to use any of those 3 perks, as I feel like I'm a more skilled player than that. If there was one perk I'd like to see disappear more than the other, it would be 3x frag. I really dont know what IW was thinking by leaving that perk in the game. Maybe it could be balanced out a little bit by a Perk1 slot - "explosion resistance" through which you could survive an indirect grenade blast, and only die from a direct hit or grenade launcher on gun attachment. Thereby cutting splash damage in half, and making those grenade spammers less lethal.

Stoney Mason said:
Speaking of new maps, I would like to see some night ones so you have to use that night vision headset in multiplayer.

That would be sweet. It would definitely offer something different. The map Pipeline in America's Army was great, but they released an unlockable Special Forces version of Pipeline that was set at night and it totally changed the map and it was awesome. Pipeline SF is seriously one of my favorite multiplayer maps of all time, in any game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
New changes coming:

http://www.1pstart.com/call-of-duty-4-updates-on-the-way/

Hey Everyone –

I wanted to give you the heads up on a lot of cool changes coming to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer in the month of December. Before you ask, there is no ETA on these changes, most are included in the upcoming patch, with all the playlists stuff happening independently at some point in the near future.

All of these changes are thanks to YOUR direct feedback and suggestions through Xbox.com forums, emails, IMing me personally, and any other way you managed to get your feedback to us. So what can you expect?

Multiplayer Playlist Changes:

The multiplayer playlists in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare are always evolving based on community feedback and stats we track behind the scenes. We’re focused on constantly keeping the game fresh and tweaking it based on your feedback, so expect the following Playlist changes to be hitting soon:

Team Deathmatch

* Map Added to Rotation: Showdown - now available in map rotation.

Mercenary Team Deathmatch

* Brand New Playlists: No Clans / Parties allowed.
* Players who don’t want to be matchmade with clans (or people in parties) can team up with fellow lone wolves and play some TDM.

Free-for-All

* Score Limit Change: 100 Points

Domination

* Map Added to Rotation: Ambush - now available in map rotation.
* Map Added to Rotation: Bloc- now available in map rotation.
* Map Added to Rotation: Pipeline - now availalbe in map rotation.

Ground War

* No changes.

Sabatoge

Headquarters

Search and Destroy

Team Tactical

Hardcore Team Deathmatch

* Brand New Playlist: 100% Hardcore Team Deathmatch Only
* No longer switched between Hardcore Search and Destroy and Hardcore Team Deathmatch

Hardcore Search and Destroy

* Brand New Playlist: 100% Hardcore Search and Destroy Only
* No longer switched between Hardcore Search and Destroy and Hardcore Team Deathmatch

Old School

* Rule Set Change: Free-for-All Only w/ Old School Rules
* Increased Health (slightly)
* No Health Re-gen
* Score Limit Change: 100 points

Cage Match

* Rule Set Change: No Longer Old School Mode
* 1 v 1: Normal Rules
* Map Added to Rotation: Countdown - now availalbe in map rotation
* Map Added to Rotation: District - now available in map rotation

Oldcore

* Playlist Removed

Team Objective

* Playlist Removed
* All gametypes included now available individually.

Upcoming Patch Updates (Seperate from above Playlist changes):

Addition of Host Migration

* If Host of lobby leaves, all players will be deposited back to the lobby where next best host will be selected before new game restarts. Players will no longer be kicked out of game entirely.

Improved Network Performance For Larger Games

* 18 player games now require more bandwidth to host, resulting in smoother performance for players.

Optimized Server Selection for First Match

* Server selection is now optimized to select best bandwidth servers associated by LSP.

Updated Spectator “Chase Cam”

* Change Spectator Mode: Switch between First Person and Third Person.
* 360 Degree rotation around character you’re spectating.

Fixed “Playlist Older Than Host” Error

* Player will no longer get error when entering games.

Optimized Corrupt Create-a-Class Handling

* Players will no longer be kicked from game when their create-a-class data is corrupted.

Added Kill Cam To Everything

* Kill Cam view Added: Air Strike Bombs (Follows bomb from plane to target)
* Kill Cam view Added: Grenades (Follows frag from hand to ground, then rotates to view target)
* Kill Cam view Added: RPGs (Follows RPG from launch to target)
* Kill Cam view Added: M203 Rounds (Follows round from launcher to target)
* Kill Cam view Added: Claymores (Views from behind claymore until explosion)
* Kill Cam view Added: C4 Packs (View from pack rotating to watch target)
* Kill Cam view Added: Martrdom (View from grenade rotating to watch target)

Optimized Old School Experience

* Added Unlimited Sprint
* Doubled Magazine Size
* Added Ragdoll Cam

Additional Start Spawn Locations in All Maps

* Added a minimum of 9 extra start spawns on each side of all maps.

Optimized Sniper Rifle / ACOG Scope Accuracy

* Sniper Rifles and ACOG scope accuracy improved due to fix.

Fixed Weapon Sprint Bug

* Bug which gave players more sprint when using particular weapons.

Thanks again for your constant feedback and support of the game, keep in mind that playlists are constantly evolving, so everything is subject to change based on feedback and results. If we feel something isn’t fun or based on your feedback we’ll continue to change it up and I’ll continue to keep you in the loop.

Thanks everyone.

100% HARDCORE DEATHMATCH THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

RSTEIN

h3ro said:
The link only mentioned the 360 version, will PC and the PS3 get the same patch??

Well it was found on xbox.com (I think) so that's probably why. I'm sure PS3 will be getting it.

Got the PC version off Steam today, but everytime I change a setting the game crashes and it gives me a directx error. I've done a little searching and people are saying xfire causes the problem. I however don't have xfire.

I've uninstalled and re-downloaded the game twice now, getting the same problems. My drivers are up to date, as is my version of directx.

Any ideas?

GameGamer

"Mercenary Team Deathmatch

* Players who don’t want to be matchmade with clans (or people in parties) can team up with fellow lone wolves and play some TDM."

Is there a way to play all available game types "lone wolf' only?

I really dislike playing with clan people because they always seem on the young side to put it politely.

woodchuck

RSTEIN said:
Hardcore Search and Destroy

* Brand New Playlist: 100% Hardcore Search and Destroy Only

YES YES YES

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Narag said:
I wouldn't mind more small missions a la Mile High Club when they do add DLC.

Seriously, that was the best mission in the game. Something replicating the embassy shoot-out, or other smaller scale missions but with high intensity would be nice.

GameGamer said:
"Mercenary Team Deathmatch

* Players who don’t want to be matchmade with clans (or people in parties) can team up with fellow lone wolves and play some TDM."

Is there a way to play all available game types "lone wolf' only?

I really dislike playing with clan people because they always seem on the young side to put it politely.

No. Most likely there won't be. It would double the number of playlists.

Hesemonni

Banned
I have played challenging and fun games in the past, CoD4 on veteran is not one of those. Just made it to 'Safehouse' and will probably give up on it since all the bitchy missions are still to come and, well, it's not fun anymore.

RSTEIN said:
Mercenary Team Deathmatch

* Players who don’t want to be matchmade with clans (or people in parties) can team up with fellow lone wolves and play some TDM.
Awesome.
RSTEIN said:
Free-for-All

* Score Limit Change: 100 Points
I never thought the 150 point limit was a problem. Anyone know of a particular reason this was done? Going to be harder to get my Rival challenge done now.
RSTEIN said:
Optimized Sniper Rifle / ACOG Scope Accuracy

* Sniper Rifles and ACOG scope accuracy improved due to fix.
I would be curious to hear people's thoughts on this as I have haven't touched a sniper rifle or an ACOG scope.

I have not read all of this thread (that would be crazy), but I just saw these images posted in Off-Topic and found them really creepy. I hope they have not already been posted somewhere deep in this thread.

chernoby9.jpg

chernobyl2.jpg

chernobyl26.jpg

Oh, and thee most creepy one EVER...

chernobyl15.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217378

Finally hit Prestige Mode. I became obsessed once I got close even though it's just climbing the later again. It's amazing to realize how much time I've put in and then you see people with those symbols where you know they've flipped it many times over already. I've already put a lot of time into this game and I can still see myself putting in a hell of a lot more. I basically only played Team Deathmatch the entire run so I have the whole objective side of the game to explore. I think I was only 45 minutes into the single player so at some point I'll finish that up I guess too. :D

Just played the SP mode this weekend [I played a fair amount of MP around Thanksgiving]. The game does so much right [for one thing, it has the best weapon feedback of any FPS I've ever played], but by the end quite frankly it had overstayed its welcome, even for being so short. There were way too scenarios that reminded me of Rambo, where you're waiting for a heli evac or something similar, and a small army converges on your point.

It's six hours that should have been four.

Sushen

I love CoD4 and it's multiplayer mode. However, as a sucky FPS player, I hit a wall, and practically every game that I have nowadays is bad. I'm at level 45 and clocked in around 40+ hours, and the people that I get to matched against have way better basic skills than myself... I wish there is a chump mode where chumps can play among themselves without getting killing every 10 seconds.

ty_hot

The invite system SUX... Someone invites you.. them you exit your game, and it gives the message "Server is full".... and you have to search for other matches (aka wait a few minutes)...

I'm sold my game a few days ago...

Sushen said:
I love CoD4 and it's multiplayer mode. However, as a sucky FPS player, I hit a wall, and practically every game that I have nowadays is bad. I'm at level 45 and clocked in around 40+ hours, and the people that I get to matched against have way better basic skills than myself... I wish there is a chump mode where chumps can play among themselves without getting killing every 10 seconds.

That normally describe me. I think you just have to keep developing your skills. I hit the wall but then I really had to adjust my game and maximize my perks and such to utilize my skills to the best of their abilities. I'm basically a lot more cautious. I almost never lead my team in kills but generally I have a positive kill to death ratio and feel as if I'm an asset to my team rather than a liability now.

Tried domination for the first time ever as I experiment outside of Team DM. I don't like it. Too chaotic on a very tiny map. It's alright for something like Halo but doesn't feel right for COD.

RSTEIN

PedroLumpy said:
I would be curious to hear people's thoughts on this as I have haven't touched a sniper rifle or an ACOG scope.

I think it's going to be very well received. A lot of people (myself included) have complained about the sniper rifle. The M16 IS a sniper rifle, which it shouldn't be. You can kill someone across the map more quickly AND with more accuracy with a M16 vs. a sniper rifle.

Sushen said:

When I started MP it felt like every round, I would walk a few steps, hear a gunshot, and flop down. What I learned from watching the killcam was that I was walking down the middle of the street, standing exposed, etc. while everyone else was out of eyesight. In other words, I was playing like a regular FPS, and everyone else was playing it like a stealth game.

Once you learn some new habits, it gets easier and you can appreciate what they're doing well with the design.

Edit: I write this, and then I notice you're actually at a higher level than I am, so I'll just shut up now.

Dirtbag 504 said:
HEADQUARTERS!!

If you haven't played headquarters mode (with a good team vs. good team),
you pretty much haven't played COD4 online yet.

This game mode needs to be present in every FPS from here on. It is perfect.

As I journey beyond just Team Deathmatch I just got through playing it for the first time. It is indeed awesome. I don't care for the respawning objective games in COD 4 (I like them in Halo but they feel out of place here) but this one is good.

COD 4 is the gift that keeps on giving. :D

FiRez

Sushen said:

the best way to learn is to play with players with higher levels, it makes modes like TDM more fun and balanced because you will always have at least 2 strong players in your team

PacoDG

h3ro said:
The link only mentioned the 360 version, will PC and the PS3 get the same patch??

It will be PS3 as well (it was on the page, just not copied and pasted with the list of changes).

"(The Playlist changes apply to both the 360 and the PS3 versions, but the PS3 will have different patch changes)"

Sort of an underwhelming patch.

I played for a couple hours last night and I've come to the conclusion after likely about 40 hours of /play that COD4 is basically "great in moderation". The sp is intense but if you play it too much (or delve too deeply, e.g. hardest difficulty), the flaws of its AI or scripting become apparent. You play mp too seriously, and the juvenile or messy maps/modes or 'nade spam become a touch annoying.

But if you play it in moderation, it's damn fun.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
NOOOOO MY OLDCORE

:(

KyanMehwulfe said:
You play mp too seriously, and the juvenile or messy maps/modes or 'nade spam become a touch annoying.

But if you play it in moderation, it's damn fun.

CoD4 is only one of a few MP shooters I can play for a few hours straight. Sure, I might get tired of a gametype, but then I just switch it up after a few rounds.

Keio

For a Finer World
Keyser Soze said:
Oh, and thee most creepy one EVER...

chernobyl15.jpg
I'm suffering from flashbacks. It feels like yesterday when I dropped my buddy next to the ferris wheel and hid here, weeping like a baby until the choppers came.

Veteran. I'll never forgive the game.

So with the new patch and the host quitting fix, will this finally stop people from quitting while ahead to receive the win? If so then I can't wait for the patch. I guess noobs and sorry ass players discovered that quitting while hosting gives you a W if your team is winning. Shit pissed me off when my team would make a comeback and take the victory only to have the host quit and giving us a loss. I wished that CoD4 had a penalty feature like in H3 where quitting a match nets you a loss, even if you were ahead.

kuYuri

PedroLumpy said:

It's nice to have. I've noticed that many times even though you have the reticle of a sniper rifle over someone, if you're not holding your breath, you will miss even if it clearly looks like the reticle is on them. I've had that happen to me alot and it's annoying.

X26

Banned
Those are some awesome changes, however too bad it doesn't address perk balance

3x frag should be 2x frag, and martyrdom should only happen if you have atleast 1 grenade on you (so if you have the martyrdom perk on but used all your frags, when you die no boom)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
X26 said:
Those are some awesome changes, however too bad it doesn't address perk balance

3x frag should be 2x frag, and martyrdom should only happen if you have atleast 1 grenade on you (so if you have the martyrdom perk on but used all your frags, when you die no boom)

I agree about Martyrdom, but don't really feel strongly about the 3x frag. I think if it were 2x frag, nobody would use the perk.

Wickerman

chespace said:
I agree about Martyrdom, but don't really feel strongly about the 3x frag. I think if it were 2x frag, nobody would use the perk.

That would be great. :lol
Random deaths by a frag is, imo, the lamest thing in MP.

Top Bottom