• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Finally beat the game on veteran...didn't touch any other difficulties but veteran made me so piss. Tried the mile high stage but it seems impossible. I'll be happy with 980/1000 :lol

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
As a strictly headquarters player, grenade spam is annoying, but I think if you set friendly fire on and have it result in a team penalty, that will do more harm than good. If casuals harm the team by spamming, you're going to alienate some of the player base. Better to default friendly fire on for a tournament instead, as hardcore players should be able to adapt better.

Also, what perks do you guys think are the best? To me, one of the best loadouts is unlocked almost immediately. M16 w/ red dot, stopping power, extreme conditioning or steady aim. Matyrdom only kills me when I am stuck in a small room or tunnel and can't get out of the way. UAV Jammer is great, but Stopping Power is hard to live without. Overkill is useful, but you can always pick up a weapon to replace the pistol. The best unlockable perks seem to be Bandolier and 3 Frags. Other than those two, the best perks are available from the beginning. To me, the best reason to gain levels is to unlock the P90, not the late game perks. Remember I'm talking about headquarters. In other game modes, UAV Jammer and Dead Silence could be more necessary.

Kyoufu

Question; Which special grenade do you guys prefer? Flash or Stun? I find Flash to be more effective when taking down a person but I've gotten kills and plenty of assists with the Stun since it does a tiny amount of damage also. I've trouble deciding on which to go for.

Kosma

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Question; Which special grenade do you guys prefer? Flash or Stun? I find Flash to be more effective when taking down a person but I've gotten kills and plenty of assists with the Stun since it does a tiny amount of damage also. I've trouble deciding on which to go for.

I only use smoke.

TiVo

Racked up on more points than normal this weekend. Lots of newbies who just got the game for X-Mas.
Gonna try and play all week before my job turns me back into a casual gamer and they get better and give me real competition.

Jeff-DSA

Manp said:
yay! no more people singing! :lol

:)

Why do so many idiots on Live do this? I don't get it.

Anyway, I was playing the SP last night and I got to "Shock and Awe" and I swear I've come up to a point where it's impossible to progress. I'm on the second floor of a bombed out building and when I clear out all the enemies on the ground outside and in a building across the way it stays dead until I jump out of the building. The second I do, the entire screen respawns and an endless flood of enemies appears. They keep respawning to no end and I can't get by methodically or rushing. It's downright stupid.

Any tips on what to do here? If I clear the building then rush it, enemies respawn in the building when I get close, so I get peppered before getting fully into the building. If I don't rush, they keep coming back anyway. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

X26

Banned
Kyoufu said:

Stun. With flashbangs they can't see well but can still move around the same and spray and pray, with stun grenade they can't turn as fast so you can maneuveur out of their line of fire easier and take them out

X26

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Did it take anyone else 30 tries to run through the farmhouse basement door on Veteren. Am i alone?

Took me forever. I'd hide behind the tractor and make a dash for it when it oppened but was gun downed countless times before I could finally reach it

Speaking of the SP, how much time should you have when you reach the slow moving doors in no fighting in the war room? I finally made it that far on veteran but was so short on time I had to rush through therest of the level and ended up dying jsut when I reac hthe last area with ~20sec left

GameGamer

kbear said:
Great post, GameGamer.. :lol

How do I mute someone in game? I press select and see the scoreboard and go to his name but nothing works.

Thank you very much!

I enjoyed making that post.

The Kill Cam achievement haunts me constantly.

Makes me crazy especially when I hear the knife go in.

I only have the 360 version of the game. But there (going from memory) I think you press the Back button to get the scoreboard, then you highlight the persons name and press Y.

This will bring up a list of options including filing a complaint and individual muting.

Manp

Jeff-DSA said:

don't really know about Live cause i don't have a gold account and i've played few times with those free codes, but on PSN it's either people singing, a random guy arguing with some kid (or more likely an adult that pretend to be a kid) or some static noise like a broken tv :lol

at least on the 360 you can mute people trough the Xbox guide (or at least that's what i've been said when i asked about how to mute people in this same thread)... patch for the PS3 version is highly welcome!

i got this game for my brother for xmas, and we are both having a blast playing it!

quick question though, i hope someone can help. my brother and i LOVE playing halo 3 online together splitscreen (with me as a guest, him on his XBL account.) is there anyway to do this in CoD4? i cant figure it out, it doesnt look like theres any way to do it but i hope there is, i loved that in halo 3.

Sushen

Eggo said:
As a strictly headquarters player, grenade spam is annoying, but I think if you set friendly fire on and have it result in a team penalty, that will do more harm than good. If casuals harm the team by spamming, you're going to alienate some of the player base. Better to default friendly fire on for a tournament instead, as hardcore players should be able to adapt better.

I agree. As an ok player, the game got pretty damn hard as it is. Sure, good players can player among themselves, but I would prefer to have a place for casuals, either.

Eggo said:

I think gradually the casuals would learn their tactics aren't effective and less grenades in general in the population would lead to less spamming. As time goes on anyway the casuals move on to other games and the hardcore community is what remains so I think changes in line with this would be more acceptable in the course of time anyway.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
X26 said:
Took me forever. I'd hide behind the tractor and make a dash for it when it oppened but was gun downed countless times before I could finally reach it

Speaking of the SP, how much time should you have when you reach the slow moving doors in no fighting in the war room? I finally made it that far on veteran but was so short on time I had to rush through therest of the level and ended up dying jsut when I reac hthe last area with ~20sec left

I believe mine was like a minute and 10 seconds. I barely got the code in though and had 2 seconds to spare. The hardest part was before that where you have to go through the hallway with 2 enemies on both side of the doors. Had to blind fire the M203 frag at each side while praying not to get hit from straight ahead

BeeDog

Alright, have been playing on and off, and I'm at the part where....

... you are at Pripyat and shoot that terrorist with the Barrett rifle, blowing off his arm. I'm precisely at the part after you snipe the helicopter that crashes on top of McMillian's (sp?) legs. You then have to carry him, but I always get owned in the small courtyard where several soldiers walk around, with more rappelling out of a heli.
Any tips for this area?

Also, how much left do I have of the game?

Crisis

Banned
Manp said:
don't really know about Live cause i don't have a gold account and i've played few times with those free codes, but on PSN it's either people singing, a random guy arguing with some kid (or more likely an adult that pretend to be a kid) or some static noise like a broken tv :lol

at least on the 360 you can mute people trough the Xbox guide (or at least that's what i've been said when i asked about how to mute people in this same thread)... patch for the PS3 version is highly welcome!

I love this game but Infinity Ward should be ashamed they didn't include a mute function in this version of the game. I'm so sick of the fucking static broadcasting over the mics and the mouthbreathers and the racist idiots and the people who think that playing awful music over the mic is something they NEED to do. And if you ask any of them to turn it down they call you an asshole or fag or worse.

Crisis

Banned
Danj said:
Any recommendations for what the best gametypes are to start off with for complete noobs?

Team Deathmatch with friends. They can show you the ropes or you can learn them together. It's good for learning the very basics of the game. No need to toss yourself into something like Headquarters where you have to learn the basics of the online game AND the nuances of that one.

Scroll down the player list in the lobby, bring up their gamercard, R trigger, A. They are muted. It isn't as easy as muting in Halo 3, but if they are that bad I will put forth a little effort to shut them up.

BeeDog said:
Alright, have been playing on and off, and I'm at the part where....

... you are at Pripyat and shoot that terrorist with the Barrett rifle, blowing off his arm. I'm precisely at the part after you snipe the helicopter that crashes on top of McMillian's (sp?) legs. You then have to carry him, but I always get owned in the small courtyard where several soldiers walk around, with more rappelling out of a heli.
Any tips for this area?

Also, how much left do I have of the game?
I plant c4 at the spot where the helicopter makes its second and 3rd drop and claymores in the direction of the first drop point. wait for the last group of guys to repel down, then set off the c4. I don't worry about the first guys that were dropped of I let mcmillian take them out.then I post up behind the shack and start snipping the people that are coming from the direction of the last heli drop off. after you kill the dog the rest is easy the enemy will start coming from the directon of the first drop off just run around like mad.
it took me 3 tries to pass this mission. after I passed this mission I started playing mp and I have yet to finish the single player.

Manp

dreammastah said:
Scroll down the player list in the lobby, bring up their gamercard, R trigger, A. They are muted. It isn't as easy as muting in Halo 3, but if they are that bad I will put forth a little effort to shut them up.

yeah, that's with the 360 version. with the PS3 version you simply can't.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jeff-DSA said:

Anyway, I was playing the SP last night and I got to "Shock and Awe" and I swear I've come up to a point where it's impossible to progress. I'm on the second floor of a bombed out building and when I clear out all the enemies on the ground outside and in a building across the way it stays dead until I jump out of the building. The second I do, the entire screen respawns and an endless flood of enemies appears. They keep respawning to no end and I can't get by methodically or rushing. It's downright stupid.

Any tips on what to do here? If I clear the building then rush it, enemies respawn in the building when I get close, so I get peppered before getting fully into the building. If I don't rush, they keep coming back anyway. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

If this is the mission I think it is, I died a lot here. Depending on what difficulty you're playing these tips may not work. I beat it on normal by doing this: drop down to the roof shed and take out the guys in the windows on the right. Hop off the shed to avoid the grenades, then take out the guys on the roof. Then make your way right, hiding behind cover, and rush the door, taking out anyone inside. It's not easy, but I was able to beat it eventually by doing this.

Sushen

I never played FPS MP this much before. About time I gave up, I started to figure out what I could improve. About time I thought I was getting good at it, I got smacked down. The balance is almost perfect so that I can't stop playing it.

Jeff-DSA

Eggo said:
If this is the mission I think it is, I died a lot here. Depending on what difficulty you're playing these tips may not work. I beat it on normal by doing this: drop down to the roof shed and take out the guys in the windows on the right. Hop off the shed to avoid the grenades, then take out the guys on the roof. Then make your way right, hiding behind cover, and rush the door, taking out anyone inside. It's not easy, but I was able to beat it eventually by doing this.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Eggo, I've had you on my friend's list since we did that GAF Geometry Wars high score challenge way back when, but we've never actually played other stuff together. I see you on CoD 4 quite a bit, we should party up. My 'tag is Jeff AMN.

Mash

Sushen said:
I never played FPS MP this much before. About time I gave up, I started to figure out what I could improve. About time I thought I was getting good at it, I got smacked down. The balance is almost perfect so that I can't stop playing it.

Same here, I'd completed the SP on the 360 and got the PC version the other day to play online and it's really satisfying to play. It goes well with TF2 as well as they're fairly different styles of play so I enjoy splitting my gaming time between the two. When I get round to trying UT3 I just bought I may find things more difficult to balance my time.

But yeah this mutliplayer is really superb, there's a few things I think are ganked but nothing really that stands out, the leveling aspect is quite compelling too, glad that's in there on the PC version.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jeff-DSA said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Eggo, I've had you on my friend's list since we did that GAF Geometry Wars high score challenge way back when, but we've never actually played other stuff together. I see you on CoD 4 quite a bit, we should party up. My 'tag is Jeff AMN.

Sure, but I have to warn you I'm not very good. I'm playing Headquarters till I hit 49 to unlock the .50 cal, and I'm also leveling up guns for the challenges. Between using off-guns and constantly rushing the objective for the team, my k/d ratio is pathetic. Once I get the .50 cal, I'll start playing with the guns I like on something like TDM where there is no pressure to run into a room filled with grenades.

Jeff-DSA

Eggo said:
Sure, but I have to warn you I'm not very good. I'm playing Headquarters till I hit 49 to unlock the .50 cal, and I'm also leveling up guns for the challenges. Between using off-guns and constantly rushing the objective for the team, my k/d ratio is pathetic. Once I get the .50 cal, I'll start playing with the guns I like on something like TDM where there is no pressure to run into a room filled with grenades.

Heh, don't sweat it. My k/d is like .93 right now. I'm also trying to level up, so I'm often using odd weapons for the extra experience (leveling up those shotguns is a pain!). I play a lot of domination and team deathmatch right now, but I haven't given HQ much of a look. I'd like to see how that goes.

Mash

Can you guys give me the skinny on levelling weapons? I've not heard anything about that aspect, I think I understand perks but again not too sure.

Mash said:
Can you guys give me the skinny on levelling weapons? I've not heard anything about that aspect, I think I understand perks but again not too sure.
Get up to 150 kills with each weapon to unlock scopes and grips.

Sushen

Jeff-DSA said:
Heh, don't sweat it. My k/d is like .93 right now. I'm also trying to level up, so I'm often using odd weapons for the extra experience (leveling up those shotguns is a pain!). I play a lot of domination and team deathmatch right now, but I haven't given HQ much of a look. I'd like to see how that goes.
HQ is a perfect place to level up your shotguns; you'll run into/defend a room with several peoples around you. HQ is my favorite mode to play nowadays. I love the crazy rush involved, although some people seem not get the idea at all and camp some where out of no where.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Mash said:
And do those things come under perks or when you choose the gun you want for the custom class?

They are when you choose the gun. Also, you get sizeable exp via challenges for getting those kills. 250, 500, and 1000 exp bonuses.

djkimothy

Is anyone having problems logging into the servers with PS3 COD4?

I swear this is the most problematic riddled multiplayer game out there.

Where's Resistance 2 when you need it.

Mash

Eggo said:
They are when you choose the gun. Also, you get sizeable exp via challenges for getting those kills. 250, 500, and 1000 exp bonuses.

Thanks I think I get it now seems really good, like a better developed system of Battlefield 2's.

djkimothy said:

Yup, same here. I need to get my kill on.

CoD4 is my drug and they are sending me to rehab. :(

Maybe they are updating the servers with new playlists!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep hope alive.

djkimothy said:

I am too, I have to keep retrying before I find a game. Just picked it up today so I am glad it isn't a problem with my PS3. Still an awesome game though.

kbear

Sushen said:
HQ is a perfect place to level up your shotguns; you'll run into/defend a room with several peoples around you. HQ is my favorite mode to play nowadays. I love the crazy rush involved, although some people seem not get the idea at all and camp some where out of no where.
I hate this... sometimes you'll see some idiot sniper that camps the whole game. It's like wtf are you doing.. this isn't a deathmatch. Pisses me off

Narag

DanielJohnson said:
I asked before, but does anyone have impressions of the DS version?

It kinda sucks. I like it though.

Finally finished MHC last night too on my first try of the evening. So satisfying.

Downloading game settings...

That's all I get when trying to go online. I really hope they fix it tonight. Worst case scenario they are gone for the holidays and have no idea it's broken. :(

Top Bottom