• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

SaitoH

chespace said:
I would imagine you'd want deadly silence (perk 3) as well to get the jump on unsuspecting folks... or else they could hear you sprinting from a mile away.

The way audio plays such a huge role in MP blows me away. I know CS did it back in the day but the way it's implemented in COD4 makes it not only useful, but also paranoia inducing. :)

I'll try out deadly silence when I'm high enough to do so, though I'm not sure if it'd make much a difference since I'm not exactly trying to be stealthy.

RUN RUN RUN!

Ciel

chespace said:
Also, I've been curious about this lately... has anyone here EVER gotten killed by a helicopter rocket? They look cool and all, but I just don't think they actually do any damage.

They most absolutely do. I didn't think so until I kinda died out of nowhere (no sound effect or anything). Looked at Killcam and BAM! Heli rocket.

Sushen

Ciel said:
They most absolutely do. I didn't think so until I kinda died out of nowhere (no sound effect or anything). Looked at Killcam and BAM! Heli rocket.

Sometimes, helicopter shot me while I was right in the middle of a house. Of course, it's not as upsetting as when I got killed by airstrike when I was in the first floor of a 2 story building. This game is really acting up recently...

LJ11 said:
If they have their UAV pulled up they can obviously track you which makes shooting around corners and through walls an easy task. I've killed plenty of guys without actually seeing them because they popped up on UAV.

I use a silenced P90 and the UAV Jammer Perk :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Sushen said:
Sometimes, helicopter shot me while I was right in the middle of a house. Of course, it's not as upsetting as when I got killed by airstrike when I was in the first floor of a 2 story building. This game is really acting up recently...

Maybe your character got scared shitless and committed suicide? Something like that happened to me one but I don't give it much thought, its a game, and its my GOTY Runner up after SMG

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
xbhaskarx said:
Hmm, I had never thought about that, you may be on to something. :lol

I assume the sniper rifles have not been fixed yet? I don't really use them, but my cousin keeps complaining...

New patch is coming in Jan.

Can't wait for the new kill cams, and also free spectator cam.

Also, BETTER ACOGS!

Sushen

Relix said:
Maybe your character got scared shitless and committed suicide? Something like that happened to me one but I don't give it much thought, its a game, and its my GOTY Runner up after SMG
Don't get me wrong. It's my fav 360 title all time. Just as I care more about this game, I get to complain more if that makes sense to you.

What's you guys setup? I have two. One with RPD, M16, 3 granades, Overkill, hipshot steady hand for mid-to-long range like Countdown. The other with RPD, M1200 shotgun, 3 granades, Overkill, hipshot steady hand for mid-to-close range like crazy Shipment and Vacant.

Sushen said:
Don't get me wrong. It's my fav 360 title all time. Just as I care more about this game, I get to complain more if that makes sense to you.

What's you guys setup? I have two. One with RPD, M16, 3 granades, Overkill, hipshot steady hand for mid-to-long range like Countdown. The other with RPD, M1200 shotgun, 3 granades, Overkill, hipshot steady hand for mid-to-close range like crazy Shipment and Vacant.

I find overkill a useless perk; arm your pistol and replace it with a dead players weapon.

BirdBomb

Banned
yea the ability to just drop your pistol for a second weapon makes overkill pretty useless to me.

i mainly use an m16, silenced, with 3 nades perk, stopping power, and extreme conditioning.

for a map like vacant i have a shotty, claymores, stopping power and martyrdom.

for sniping i have the r700, claymores, stopping power and i think uav jammer, don't remember.

Sushen

What would happen if you use Stopping Power on M60 or Double Tap on M90? Would I be just wasting a perk, or get even crazier power?

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
KyanMehwulfe said:
Sort of an underwhelming patch.

I played for a couple hours last night and I've come to the conclusion after likely about 40 hours of /play that COD4 is basically "great in moderation". The sp is intense but if you play it too much (or delve too deeply, e.g. hardest difficulty), the flaws of its AI or scripting become apparent. You play mp too seriously, and the juvenile or messy maps/modes or 'nade spam become a touch annoying.

But if you play it in moderation, it's damn fun.
This is how I've been playing and enjoying COD4 so far. I just do a few MP matches and a bit of the SP here and there.

LJ11 said:
If they have their UAV pulled up they can obviously track you which makes shooting around corners and through walls an easy task. I've killed plenty of guys without actually seeing them because they popped up on UAV.
I play hardcore exclusively and use silenced weapons with the UAV jammer perk. It's not that.

zam

No Means Nomad said:
Use the high-end light machine gun, slap on the grip, and perk up with Steady Aim and Juggernaut. Rambo your way to victory three kills at a time.
Steady Aim only helps when shooting from the hip, and I almost always use the sights with the LMG. For LMG I usually use M60 + Grip + Double Tap + Deep Impact.

Besides, Rambo didn't need no grip, he did that shit one-handed :p

I know theres all the talk about matyrdom sucking, but I was thinking... What about if stopping power was removed? Pretty much all the cool perks are in slot 2, but Stopping power is (IMO) the best period. Yes I have flirted with UAV jammer, ended up doing much worse. I thought if they get rid of stopping power, a lot more people would be inclined to use sleight of hand, UAV jammer, Overkill, or Juggernaut. of course everyone might start using double tap instead. Thought it might make it more interesting, who knows.

Sushen

No Means Nomad said:
i can't get my dodge on if i'm aiming down the sight, but in a lot of ways it cuts me deep to not be able to replace it.
Same to me. If I use the sight on 1 on 1 situation, I become a sitting duck. I tried Rambo approach last night, and it seemed better to dodge. I use RPD which is rapid firing, and I'm not sure if Double Tap will improve the speed better than Juggernaut would be on my health.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
blindrocket said:
I've seen people take out the enemy at their spawn point, right when the game begins, with the grenade launcher on Ambush and on Bog. :\

Yeah, you can get three kills on Bog with the grenade launcher in Search and Destroy if the enemy team spawns by the tank. And you can get two more easy kills with use of the UAV.

Next round, call in an airstrike on their spawn and kill the entire team, which will earn you another airstrike.

Repeat this airstrike in round three.

Sweet, sweet whining will take place in the lobby afterward.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
zam said:
Steady Aim only helps when shooting from the hip, and I almost always use the sights with the LMG. For LMG I usually use M60 + Grip + Double Tap + Deep Impact.

Besides, Rambo didn't need no grip, he did that shit one-handed :p
How much does double tap and deep impact help on this?
Does deep impact allow for penetration in thicker walls, or deal more damage than normal wall penetration?

I love using LMGs with the grip.

Goreomedy said:
Yeah, you can get three kills on Bog with the grenade launcher in Search and Destroy if the enemy team spawns by the tank. And you can get two more easy kills with use of the UAV.

Next round, call in an airstrike on their spawn and kill the entire team, which will earn you another airstrike.

I just started doing TDM, and I was wondering why I would sometimes hear a bunch of grenades going off at the start of the match. Haven't been tagged yet luckily.

I have replaced stopping power with the UAV jammer.
It's a whole new ballgame.
Not missing stopping power too much. Using the M16. I feel in most close to mid range combat it takes just as many bursts to kill an enemy while using the UAV jammer perk.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
PedroLumpy said:
I just started doing TDM, and I was wondering why I would sometimes hear a bunch of grenades going off at the start of the match. Haven't been tagged yet luckily.

Yeah, thrown grenades don't go as far. Maybe the center of the map on smaller levels. So the more impatient gamers will die in this spam.

I'm thinking about activiating Prestige. For those of you who have already done this a few times, how much faster are you leveling up now that you have experience?

Sushen

Goreomedy said:

Or, you won't get to see the lobby if the host is in the other party. Which is worse: quitters or cheaters?

Just entered Prestige Mode. What exactly are the benefits of Prestige besides tletting people know how many hours you've sunk into the game? Is there any gear you can get that you can't at the regular levels?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Sushen said:
Or, you won't get to see the lobby if the host is in the other party. Which is worse: quitters or cheaters?

Cheaters? It's no more cheating than climbing onto the rooftops in Overgrown to snipe areas that are normally safe. Or forcing the other team to spawn outside in an airstrike zone by camping the office complex in Vacant.

You can avoid death on Bog by sprinting to the left as you spawn. But most people make a run for Plant-point B, because it's too much a temptation being so close. And when they do, they bunch up at the area in front of the tank and die together. The same result can be accomplished with the three times frag perk.

Just play smart. Or vote to skip exploited maps (I always vote to skip Bog) until the patch with extra save points hits in January.

nib95

Banned
One of the things really pissing me off about COD4 is the party system. Not only is it un-reliable, with people being disconnected from your party, but there's lag too.

On top of that, if you're on your own, 80% of matches are against other parties. I'm finding that each and every time I'm about the only good player on a team. Getting first every round (1.5-3 k/d ratio) while the rest of my team is on double minuses.

This is infuriatingly annoying and has happened so many times I've lost count.

The rule in the game should be that you never get thrown in to a match full of a partied up team, unless you choose it. It should be partied up teams vs partied up teams. Because it seems it's either partied up teams vs partied up teams or a partied up team vs a team full of only one or two good players the rest absolutely pants.

I mean...seriously bad.

Playing on your own is near pointless. Unless you are lucky enough to be thrown in with other good players. Team infinity ward needs to sort this out. As well as the lag, the fact that I (uK) can't play with US players and the party system.

As awesome a game as COD4 is, it's faults are beginning to be more glaringly obvious.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Hey Nib95, have you tried out Mercenary Team Deathmatch? It was built for the likes of you and me. No parties allowed.

But yeah, I would like to see that expanded to some objective game types. And I imagine it will if Mercenary proves popular.

I hear you Nib. I'm usually calm when I play on Live but yesterday I was dropping F'bombs at my teamates as we were getting destroyed against parties of 7 or 8 in Groundwar.
I understand it is tougher going in solo but if you use a little teamwork you won't lose 1,000 to 300. I was happy to get just a 1.00 k/d ratio a few games yesterday.
My clans only on a couple of times a week and I like to play this game 5-6 days a week so it's tough.
To remedy the situation I often back out of obvious clan against solo groundwar matches or play mercenary TDM.

xbhaskarx

I wish the intermission length was reduced to 30 or even 20 seconds.
It's not like 40 seconds is long enough to take a piss, make a sandwich, or have a phone conversation.

Sushen

xbhaskarx said:
I wish there was a practice mode under playlists. It usually takes me 2-3 games to not totally suck.
Do you guys know if the spectator cam patch will allow us to watch the entire game instead of kick us out? Sometimes, I feel like watching rather than playing.

Sushen

xbhaskarx said:
I wish the intermission length was reduced to 30 or even 20 seconds.
It's not like 40 seconds is long enough to take a piss, make a sandwich, or have a phone conversation.
It's long enough to adjust my perks

Anyone think we might get filter so we can prioritize games with good connections over others? Something like Halo's where you can choose fastest match, good connection, close skill, or same language.

question,

on the back of cod4(ps3) it said the highest video resolution is 1080p, but when i turn on the DISPLAY on my tv to see the video output, it is only 720p?

I have found out that I can get sniped right after spawn on Bog too. :\ So many maps just aren't any good. Before I've said I would pay for a map pack, out of excitement. But now I want a free map pack just to make up for the small poor designed maps it shipped with. Or maybe I'm just bitter right now coming off getting paired with the worst teams ever. Ugh.

xbhaskarx

Sushen said:
It's long enough to adjust my perks

Really, you adjust your perks between games? With five customized slots, I have never found it necessary to do that.
Again, at least for me, the 40 second intermission just seems way too long.

Treo360

xbhaskarx said:
Really, you adjust your perks between games? With five customized slots, I have never found it necessary to do that.

I have a standard set of 4, however I keep the 5th as a wildcard depending on the map that I'm on.

Sushen

xbhaskarx said:
When I play with the same batch for the next few games, I make minor adjustments to customize for the the bunch that I play with.

Yeah, the difference between good and bad teams are truely heaven and hell... Bad teams just disintegrate right after the match begins, and at my skill level, having nobody to watch my back hurts my game.

nib95

Banned
Narag said:
It should be right under Team DM in the playlist.

Nope it's not for me.

Also, the best players must be asleep now. Just came first 5 times in a row. 100 points + between me and whoever was second every single time. Whoever was on my side won basically! *head grows big* (((:)lol ))))

^^That's the head growing big icon!

K/d ratio the last few matches was 3-4. Problem is, first 50 or so matches I did so poorly it ruined my k/d ratio. So now it's an up hill struggle trying to take it from all the way down there. to 2 and beyond.

Top Bottom