• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Martyrdom feels pathetic more than anything. I'm sure most of us have used it at some point, but it feels if not cheap then at least damned lazy. Can't get the kills? Then turn your own failures against the nearest n00b. *shrug*

Sushen

Dirtbag 504 said:
If you dont understand how martyrdom breaks the gameplay, you haven't played headquarters (the best gamemode in the game), or have no skill yourself and rely on it for shameless kills.
Martyrdom and some others are clearly designed to give less skilled players to have some kills and help slow down turning the community complete hardcore. Keeping the balance between features for skilled players and casual players has been/will be one of the toughest problems of game making. Having said that avoiding martyrdom is not impossible if you learn to anticipate them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dirtbag 504 said:
Brilliant advice, hadn't thought of that yet.
Then please stop whining about it.
You can move away from them. There's an on screen indicator.

They aren't hard to avoid.

not counting sonic boom :)

USD

Dirtbag 504 said:
If you dont understand how martyrdom breaks the gameplay, you haven't played headquarters (the best gamemode in the game), or have no skill yourself and rely on it for shameless kills. It's not a matter of avoiding it, its only in the game to frustrate. It's just a lame way to get a kill.

Brilliant advice, hadn't thought of that yet.

Its only an assumption if it's wrong. It's the truth otherwise.
Yeah, it does seem like everyone goes for Martyrdom. I'm just trying to get my level back up so I can get the Deagle again. I like Last Stand more, if only for the delayed death. I've gotten many a UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter because I managed to get a kill or two before dying.

Kyoufu

Dirtbag 504 said:
no its really not, all it promotes are people lobbing grenades across the map randomly and praying for kills. The grenades are just to powerful to give you 3 of them. it breaks the gameplay.

Thats why you need UAV Jammer. You won't get randomly killed by a nade by someone across the map when he doesn't see you on his radar.

USE UAV JAMMER PEOPLE!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
USD said:
Yeah, it does seem like everyone goes for Martyrdom. I just trying to get my level back up so I can get the Deagle again. I like Last Stand more, if only for the delayed death. I've gotten many a UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter because I managed to get a kill or two before dying.
Same for me, I get more kills with Last Stand.
Plus I look cool.

JaseMath

I've never played an FPS online before CoD4... so I gotta say, the Martyrdom thing is really pissing me off.

Right now I think I'm ranked 625,000th in the world, but could easily be 615,000th if not for it. Thanks, Infinity Ward. o_0

raYne

Kyoufu said:
Thats why you need UAV Jammer. You won't get randomly killed by a nade by someone across the map when he doesn't see you on his radar.

USE UAV JAMMER PEOPLE!
Uh, it's a random grenade for a reason.

Ever play S&D? A lot of times, right at the start of the match, people will just run and toss a grenade in the direction they think the other team will come from.

UAV Jammer isn't going to help you vs a completely random grenade. Especially since no one has a UAV up in that case.

SonnyBoy said:
I decided not to slit my wrists after our accuracy competition. :lol
28%! *highfive* :D

Honestly, HQ is broken with the spawn points. You can take care of it by having good communication and not having all of your guys disarming the HQ, but that's tough to do sometimes. The spawn points should be more spread out and the HQ's should keep rotating more often.

Dirtbag 504 said:
no its really not, all it promotes are people lobbing grenades across the map randomly and praying for kills. The grenades are just to powerful to give you 3 of them. it breaks the gameplay.

Seriously just stop running around like an asshat and you won't get blown up by grenades nearly as much. Fragx3 is fine.

Dirtbag

Kyoufu said:

USE UAV JAMMER PEOPLE!

UAV Jammer + Silencer is a blast.

My favorite class is Ak-47 + silencer + UAV Jammer (it works better with less recoil from the silencer to), and the bullets are strong enough that they dont need stopping power.. then i usually add a smoke grenade to help sneak around with, and hip fire accuracy or bullet penetration depending on my mood.

rotaryspirit said:
Seriously just stop running around like an asshat and you won't get blown up by grenades nearly as much. Fragx3 is fine.
agree to disagree. It shouldnt be in the game <-final answer
though if anything could be removed, I'd prefer it be martyrdom.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm probably ranked higher than Dirtbag 504 from less grenade deaths.

jason said:
I've never played an FPS online before CoD4... so I gotta say, the Martyrdom thing is really pissing me off.

Right now I think I'm ranked 625,000th in the world, but could easily be 615,000th if not for it. Thanks, Infinity Ward. o_0
:lol

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
Does anyone use the sniper rifle as a "run around" type weapon? I just unlocked the semi auto sniper and I was racking up some mighty kills last night. I was like Wesley Snipes in Demolition man. "I love this gun"!!!!

mind you, I'm only level 7 at this point, but I kick myself for not starting Multiplayer earlier, it just rocks. To me, halo hasn't nearly the soul this game's multiplayer does.

kbear

I just realized there's no way to make public player matches. I was trying to make a non-ranked match but could only make it in private and had to invite people. What's up with this? The game options are robust so you could make some fun game types in non-ranked matches. I'm on the PS3 version.

Kyoufu

raYne said:
Uh, it's a random grenade for a reason.

Ever play S&D? A lot of times, right at the start of the match, people will just run and toss a grenade in the direction they think the other team will come from.

UAV Jammer isn't going to help you vs a completely random grenade. Especially since no one has a UAV up in that case.

Hello? At the start of the map, nades are thrown to the area where noobs are most likely to come out of, ie. the middle of the map. The smart players take the side route, avoiding any nades.

Sooooooo basically your reply was irrelevant to the discussion.

Has anyone here tried out custom games? Like just about everyone, I'm addicted to the almighty EXP, but I was thinking of hosting a night sometime soon for some friends of mine. Sometimes we have a big group, and GroundWar gets a little dull after a while. I've briefly looked through the game options, but I was wondering if anyone here had some experience/tips/gametypes that they could recommend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Core407

Banned
Are there any GAF games on PSN? I haven't touched COD4 in a while, but playing with Gaffers might bring me back. (ID is Runner45)

avaya

Kyoufu said:
Hello? At the start of the map, nades are thrown to the area where noobs are most likely to come out of, ie. the middle of the map. The smart players take the side route, avoiding any nades.

Sooooooo basically your reply was irrelevant to the discussion.

I followed your advice on the jammer and silencer. :D

I turned from utter shit to moderately shit now.

Kyoufu

avaya said:
I followed your advice on the jammer and silencer. :D

I turned from utter shit to moderately shit now.

Work your way to P90 and you'll tear people up, its not even funny.

Just remember NOT to stick with teammates, they will get you killed, and remember to take side paths in maps, you will get people off guard, by surprise and from behind.

Send me a party invite next time you see me on.

Core407 said:
Are there any GAF games on PSN? I haven't touched COD4 in a while, but playing with Gaffers might bring me back. (ID is Runner45)

PSN ID: Kyoufu, playing from Europe.

Almost 55, dunno If I should go with prestige mode.

raYne

Did you have a mind slip? You're point about the UAV Jammer is what I'm replying to. Being that you'd be hidden from someone knowing you're there and throwing a grenade in hopes to kill you. So it's not exactly random.

A random grenade is one thrown with no idea whether or not people are even in that direction. Just hoping to kill someone because they're guessing that people might be there. Which is why I used the S&D example.

So, ok?

Kyoufu

raYne said:
Did you have a mind slip? You're point about the UAV Jammer is what I'm replying to. Being that you'd be hidden from someone knowing you're there and throwing a grenade in hopes to kill you. So it's not exactly random.

A random grenade is one thrown with no idea whether or not people are even in that direction. Just hoping to kill someone because they're guessing that people might be there. Which is why I used the S&D example.

So, ok?

Well I'm not talking about a random nade. I'm really confused as to what you're actually trying to argue about here. All I am saying is that if you use UAV Jammer, you won't find enemies throwing nades from across the map into your direction.

avaya

Kyoufu said:

Just remember NOT to stick with teammates, they will get you killed, and remember to take side paths in maps, you will get people off guard, by surprise and from behind.

P90 sounds good. :D

I did the sidepath routine for the first time last night, my first 5 kills were all knife. 4 in a row :lol

Will send an invite next time.

Dirtbag

Kyoufu said:
Well I'm not talking about a random nade. I'm really confused as to what you're actually trying to argue about here. All I am saying is that if you use UAV Jammer, you won't find enemies throwing nades from across the map into your direction.

the same thing i was complaining about, given the power of the grenades.. combined with 3xfrag, sonic boom, and martyrdom.. most noobs just randomly lob grenades all game long hoping to hit something (sometimes cooked with no chance dodging either). And thanks to how strong this setup is, they can be relatively successful with this lame tactic. It's ruining the play experience. 3xfrag is overpowered perk, and martyrdom is overly cheap.

I'm stunned so many people on here defend this, like I'm the noob for dying by it.
Maybe it's just GAF's usual devil's advocates... but it's a skill-less cheap way of playing and its starting to really irritate with how frequent its happening

raYne

Kyoufu said:
Well I'm not talking about a random nade.
Well, that's exactly what we were talking about and then you jumped in and started talking about the UAVJ. Which doesn't help in the situation.

I'm really confused as to what you're actually trying to argue about here. All I am saying is that if you use UAV Jammer, you won't find enemies throwing nades from across the map into your direction.
I'm talking about an actual random grenade (the original conversation), versus your UAVJ suggestion. As I said before, if they know where you are because you fired a shot and throw a grenade in that direction, it's not exactly random.

As for the latter part of that statement:

I'm not sure if you know, but the UAVJ only blocks you from showing up on the 3 kill UAV sweep bonus. Unless you're silenced, you still show up as soon as you fire. Normal or 3kill sweep. So just having the Jammer alone doesn't prevent them from knowing where you are and throwing a grenade that way.

Kyoufu

Dirtbag 504 said:
the same thing i was complaining about, given the power of the grenades.. combined with 3xfrag, sonic boom, and martyrdom.. most noobs just randomly lob grenades all game long hoping to hit something (sometimes cooked with no chance dodging either). And thanks to how strong this setup is, they can be relatively successful with this lame tactic. It's ruining the play experience. 3xfrag is overpowered perk, and martyrdom is overly cheap.

I'm stunned so many people on here defend this, like I'm the noob for dying by it.
Maybe it's just GAF's usual devil's advocates...

I don't really have a problem against nades when playing, just martyrdom when something gets in my way and I cant get away.

Sonic Boom? That means they aren't using UAV Jammer resulting in their own death. Their killer? Me :D

Martyrdom is the only thing I'd bitch about. It doesn't even make sense really, who the hell drops a nade when they die? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

...but I still use it :(

Sushen

Kyoufu said:

I hear you and I flank a lot recently myself. I miss my P90 since I jumped into prestige last week, also... Having said that, when there are couple of flankers on both sides, things get really interesting. It turns into blind match where you solely rely on your instincts and senses, pure tension. Actually I like silencer better than UAV Jammer, since sometimes I use enemy UAV to lure enemies into me.

Dirtbag

Kyoufu said:
I don't really have a problem against nades when playing, just martyrdom when something gets in my way and I cant get away.

Sonic Boom? That means they aren't using UAV Jammer resulting in their own death. Their killer? Me :D

Martyrdom is the only thing I'd bitch about. It doesn't even make sense really, who the hell drops a nade when they die? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

...but I still use it :(

You need to play headquarters to really understand how irritating both of these perks are. It's absolutely ruining what would otherwise be a fantastic game-mode. And yet still, headquarters is the only reason I play the game. It forces the battles to a paticular area.

They need to add a good 15-30 second delay between headquarter spawns, and it would be perfect. The respawning team has too much an advantage since the other team is all in one place having just destroyed a HQ.

Kyoufu said:
professional.jpg

I can understand the complaints about random 'nades, though. I feel it should be 2x frag rather than 3x. At the beginning of S&D on a small map, it sucks if the other team simultaneously wings a grenade storm in your team's direction and someone gets killed. No fun at all. In rapid respawn games like deathmatch, it doesn't bother me as much.

As far as martyrdom goes, I think it's kinda lame, but not enough that I feel it should be out of the game. I'll get killed a few times per round by it, but usually it's my fault for running over the grenade or getting stuck in a doorway. *shrugs*

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dirtbag 504 said:
You need to play headquarters to really understand how irritating both of these perks are. It's absolutely ruining what would otherwise be a fantastic game-mode. And yet still, headquarters is the only reason I play the game. It forces the battles to a paticular area.

They need to add a good 15-30 second delay between headquarter spawns, and it would be perfect. The respawning team has too much an advantage since the other team is all in one place having just destroyed a HQ.
No 'nades for HQ games I can agree with.

kbear

Dirtbag 504 said:

Maybe it's just GAF's usual devil's advocates... but it's a skill-less cheap way of playing and its starting to really irritate with how frequent its happening
I made this same point several pages back. I totally agree, 100%. Change the name of the game to: Call of Duty 4: Modern Grenade Warfare

Dirtbag

kbear said:
I made this same point several pages back. I totally agree, 100%. Change the name of the game to: Call of Duty 4: Modern Grenade Warfare

Oh man, new thread title change!
:lol i loled

So I just went for my first prestige. Rank 10, I get shipment! With 12 people! On Domination! I can't believe my luck, just as I was about to give up and go play Rock Band. Using the SAW and one grenade, I proceeded to fucking own.

10/1 with 0 deaths, just called in a chopper...

HOST ENDED MATCH

This is fucking bullshit. It makes me not want to play the game ever again after shit like that, because you know he was on the other team and got owned. This needs to be fixed, now, and I'm not playing CoD4 until it is. ffs. :( Maybe I'm a bit extra mad right after the fact but nowhere else do you get that kind of horseshit in a public match.

maus

man this game is a total mess for me online right now. been spending a half hour trying to get in games. locks up 20 seconds at a time; lobbies close within seconds of finding them; the two matches i got in had insane lag. i'm pretty damn certain this isn't on my end; about to go play halo :(

Dirtbag

maus said:
man this game is a total mess for me online right now. been spending a half hour trying to get in games. locks up 20 seconds at a time; lobbies close within seconds of finding them; the two matches i got in had insane lag. i'm pretty damn certain this isn't on my end; about to go play halo :(

all of live has been incredibly fussy this past week, at least for those of us down in New Orleans

maus

ah, first time i've had problems with cod4. thought the issues were mostly dashboard related.

finally found a working lobby, hopefully the host stays around..

woodchuck

i agree with most of the complaints

martyrdom - sucks on Domination and hardcore (DON'T USE MARTYRDOM ON HARDCORE). i wish they'd just disable it completely.

3x frags - one grenade too much

At the beginning of the round (especially in S&D), I wish there was a kind of a window where you can't throw a grenade.

j-wood

Honestly guys, I've been killed by martydom twice. Do you guys just try to knife every kill? It's not hard to either shoot them 10 feet away, or just spring when they die if you have to be up close.

FF_VIII

Banned
Finally completed it :lol

I'm gonna dropkick somebody if Price died. I'm just gonna assume the CPR worked and he was fine then we had that drink. Yeah, he's fine...

The ending was brutal. Griggs (sp) getting shot in the face after trying to save me...sad panda. Then Gaz and that part where he slides you the gun.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
j-wood said:
Honestly guys, I've been killed by martydom twice. Do you guys just try to knife every kill? It's not hard to either shoot them 10 feet away, or just spring when they die if you have to be up close.

Sometimes there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to avoid it. Sure, if you just hang back and pick people off, you'll never come across it. But when fighting for a flag or an HQ, happens often. I personally have no problem with three grenades or martydom. Out of all the problems COD 4 has, I don't think grenades (3x or martydom) are top 5. I'm honestly a little surprised at the anger it generates here. I'd get everyone 200 grenades if that "host has left game" bullshit never happened again.

Dammit, 3 host ended games in a row! I swear, about 60% of my losses come from this BS.

calder

The only times I consider it even remotely acceptable to be killed by Martyrdom:
- you kill a guy in a room or narrow passage, and you either get tripped up by furniture or something else going on means you can't retreat
- someone else kills a guy a bit in front of you and you don't realize the dead dude shat out his nade until you walk into it

That's why the only class I have using Martyrdom is my cqc one, 2 silenced SMGs and a shit for running around through Vacant.

Sushen

commish said:
Dammit, 3 host ended games in a row! I swear, about 60% of my losses come from this BS.
I was wondering also why I'm losing the battle when the host ends the game...there gotta be win/lose/something else instead. It's not fair to take a lose when you have no control over it and it's not even your fault.

TEH-CJ said:
This game is amazing and all, but holy crap IW this has to be the worst net code ever..

Are you playing it on 360? Live has been having a LOT of issues lately that aren't CoDs fault--but that have been dropping games left and right.

Also, how does matchmaking work in this game? It seems to be completely random. I pretty much suck at FPS, but I enjoy playing them online casually and would love to get in games where the skill level seemed consistent.

Edit - On further research I see there is a hidden 'true-skill' system. That's interesting. Maybe after I get slaughtered in 50 more games I'll get down to a level that's comfortable for playing the game once a week. The problem is probably that I played the game a LOT for the first couple of weeks after release and got pretty decent. Then I put it down until last weekend and am feeling the burn.

commish said:
Sometimes there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to avoid it. Sure, if you just hang back and pick people off, you'll never come across it. But when fighting for a flag or an HQ, happens often. I personally have no problem with three grenades or martydom. Out of all the problems COD 4 has, I don't think grenades (3x or martydom) are top 5. I'm honestly a little surprised at the anger it generates here. I'd get everyone 200 grenades if that "host has left game" bullshit never happened again.

The host ending games is chicken feed in a blender. It shouldn't be in there, damnit!

Top Bottom