• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

So is there any here who is not going to go into prestige mode ever. I think the whole idea of losing everything Ive earned just to gain an insignia is ludicrous.

commish said:
What are you talking about? You can't wait it out, as there is no kill cam from airstrikes. IMO it IS a flaw, but one that I take advantage of :)

Airstrike kill cams are coming in the next patch, I'm not sure when that patch arrives for each system, so maybe you guys are on different platforms?

Icebergslim3000 said:
So is there any here who is not going to go into prestige mode ever. I think the whole idea of losing everything Ive earned just to gain an insignia is ludicrous.

I'm not, but to each their own.

womp

IcebergSlim3000 said:

Honestly, IMO it keeps the game interesting plus you level up MUCH faster the 2nd and 3rd time around since you tend to be not only a better player but you also know how to pull off more of the challenges and map layout should be second nature.

Pick your weapon, focus on it...The only drawback is the lack of a few choice perks.

IcebergSlim3000 said:

You'll be really surprised at how fast you rank up the second-third-fourth time through. The only gun/perk I really miss when going up ranks again is my triple frag.

Personally, I just didn't want the same icon as everyone else. I'm on my fourth time through but I think it's my last so I can complete all the later challenges.

raYne

IcebergSlim3000 said:
I've said the same thing to people online. I usually get high level prestige players asking me if I'm, "scared to go prestige" or some vulgar variation, after I beat them. :lol

I've been level 55 with the option for months and I'm never planning on doing it. As you said, it's a complete waste of time just to get a colorful medal? Ooo... ahhh.. I'd sooner do the gold weapons, but I don't care about those either.

At least now I can play for fun (*gasp*), use what I want and screw around with various custom settings when I'm bored, instead of using weapons I hate just to level up again.

commish said:
What are you talking about? You can't wait it out, as there is no kill cam from airstrikes. IMO it IS a flaw, but one that I take advantage of :)
Screwed up when I said "kill cam". I just meant the third person view you get after death. You can watch it and waste a little time, but people usually just want to jump back into the action.

As someone said, more kill cams are a coming and I can't wait.

raYne said:
Ooo... ahhh.. I'd sooner do the gold weapons, but I don't care about those either.

(to everyone)

Don't bother unless you know you are going to use AK-47/Uzi/M60 .. etc..

I wasted my time getting Gold AK-47 and Uzi, only to not be satisfied with those weapons in comparison to the M16, P90 respectively.

Gold Camo on any weapon please IW!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
raYne said:
Screwed up when I said "kill cam". I just meant the third person view you get after death. You can watch it and waste a little time, but people usually just want to jump back into the action.

You can't waste any time; you spawn instantaneously. Lovely for us airstrike whores on small maps. And yeah, I know more are coming, and they will be welcome :)

As for going prestige, I see no point in skipping out on it. The default weapons are the best, and you can climb the ranks very fast, so why not do it? To me, it's fun doing the challenges and having something always to work towards. The vast, vast majority of players do prestige; only very rarely do I see a 1st level 55.

Andokuky

Banned
This game desperately needs a host migration feature. Can't believe they even bothered to discuss DLC while the online play is so broken. You have to get really lucky to join a steady room because too many people back right out when they lose or get pissed and leave the game early knowing they are host.

Core407

Banned
Andokuky said:
This game desperately needs a host migration feature. Can't believe they even bothered to discuss DLC while the online play is so broken. You have to get really lucky to join a steady room because too many people back right out when they lose or get pissed and leave the game early knowing they are host.

Sony aka Insomniac should just put out a document on how to create a proper online experience.

Xdrive05

Looking for opinions on Console VS PC for CoD4. I have a good enough PC to max it. But I just got back from visiting a friend's house and playing the PS3 version, and it was very slick. That's one of the few times where console FPS just felt "right" when you play it. Would I be better off getting it for my 360 or for my PC?

Thanks.

Proc

Xdrive05 said:
Looking for opinions on Console VS PC for CoD4. I have a good enough PC to max it. But I just got back from visiting a friend's house and playing the PS3 version, and it was very slick. That's one of the few times where console FPS just felt "right" when you play it. Would I be better off getting it for my 360 or for my PC?

Thanks.

I ultimately chose 360 because that's where most of my friends play, and my friend sold me his for $30 to sweeten the deal. Shawn's talk on gfw about CoD4 cheaters on the pc turned me off it as well.

Andokuky said:

So true. I've stopped playing and pretty much will refuse to unless the patch comes and addresses these issues.

Another one that really pisses me off is entering a game and your team is losing 300-740. Total bullshit to have people enter games when it's almost over.

Andokuky

Banned
Core407 said:
Sony aka Insomniac should just put out a document on how to create a proper online experience.

Not really, IW did a great job. Only thing it needs is one of the most basic features of online gaming. This set up reeks of Playstation 2 online gaming...

Beezy

Am I the only one who thinks that Domination matches on Shipment are the most fun ever? It's so crazy and hectic, especially when trying get the flag in the middle. I love it. :lol

Grimm Fandango said:
Another one that really pisses me off is entering a game and your team is losing 300-740. Total bullshit to have people enter games when it's almost over.
Agreed.

Sushen

commish said:
As for going prestige, I see no point in skipping out on it. The default weapons are the best, and you can climb the ranks very fast, so why not do it? To me, it's fun doing the challenges and having something always to work towards. The vast, vast majority of players do prestige; only very rarely do I see a 1st level 55.
Agreed. Going through prestige seems take less time than the first time through, possibly I'm a better player now than then. I enjoyed the experience and this time around I discovered weapons that I didn't use before such as shotties; man, I feel invincible with shotties in wetwork and vacant: bam-killed-bam-killed... Havin said that, probably once I reach level 55 against this time, that will be it until they introduce DLC or something. While working on some challenges are fun, I'm getting jaded.

BTW is there anyone who finished the challenges completely? As a non-sniper and some challenges are completely luck based, I don't see myself finishing it, but maybe, some of you guys may have?

DuckRacer

IcebergSlim3000 said:
I thought that as well... but then I came to the conclusion that six months from now, if I didn't go prestige, I could've had a really pimp icon next to my name. You level up faster on your second time anyway, and I only miss perks like 3 frags or dead silence. Besides, leveling up and getting the P90 and 50cal feels really rewarding.
Andokuky said:
There is going to be host migration in the patch... but in the form of booting you back to the lobby when the host leaves instead of the home screen. It's bullshit, but better than nothing I suppose.

ukiraros

Grimm Fandango said:

This shit pisses me off the most.

Heck, today I went into a game, I didn't even have a chance to even pick my class and I lost, it was over in 2 seconds, it must be a record.

zenbot

IcebergSlim3000 said:
I don't care really care about the insignia; I just enjoy having goals (aside from just winning) when I'm playing.

Sushen

ukiraros said:
This shit pisses me off the most.

Heck, today I went into a game, I didn't even have a chance to even pick my class and I lost, it was over in 2 seconds, it must be a record.
No it isn't. I went into a game where it was just showing the last stats many times in the past; it was over when I joined.

Xdrive05 said:

Thanks.
I love playing CoD4 with my Playstation 3, but don't fool yourself. If you have a more than capable PC, you can benefit from the FREE custom maps and mods that will be cranked out on a regular basis. And it's always better to play on a dedicated server than the crap us console players have to deal with in CoD4.

Andokuky

Banned
Duck said:
There is going to be host migration in the patch... but in the form of booting you back to the lobby when the host leaves instead of the home screen. It's bullshit, but better than nothing I suppose.

Yea I know the patch has the host feature, and even back to lobby only sounds great to me. 99% of rooms crashing are from hosts leaving in the lobby anyway in my experiences.

ch0mp

Beezy said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Domination matches on Shipment are the most fun ever? It's so crazy and hectic, especially when trying get the flag in the middle. I love it. :lol

Cant stand it. Nothing to do but run around spamming nades or hide in a corner, cause theres no way you're going to be getting a flag.

Andokuky

Banned
Relix said:
I wanted host changing ala Halo 3. Oh well.....

I am re-addicted to COD4 =P

Host changing like Halo 3 would be better but in that game each team goes their seperate ways and the room ends anyway so...

A SOCOM setup where the host can leave and a new host is assigned based on connection all on the fly with no stoppage in gameplay would be perfect.

Man, the spawning is really starting to piss me off. If you're in the midst of a close quarters firefight with a bunch of bad guys, aren't the people you kill supposed to spawn somewhere else? Starting to see more and more of people I kill spawning right behind me and putting an end to my streak. It's really annoying after I spend all the time getting around behind/to the side of some baddies.

zenbot

PedroLumpy said:
Man, the spawning is really starting to piss me off. If you're in the midst of a close quarters firefight with a bunch of bad guys, aren't the people you kill supposed to spawn somewhere else? Starting to see more and more of people I kill spawning right behind me and putting an end to my streak. It's really annoying after I spend all the time getting around behind/to the side of some baddies.
Heh — almost as annoying I find is when I'm rocking my stealth profile (UAV jammer, silent footsteps, silenced gun) trying to flank enemies, and my dead team-mates will spawn alongside me. No point in me having the UAV jammer and silencer if I'm generating a trail of loud friendlies as I'm sneaking around!

zenbot said:
Heh — almost as annoying I find is when I'm rocking my stealth profile (UAV jammer, silent footsteps, silenced gun) trying to flank enemies, and my dead team-mates will spawn alongside me. No point in me having the UAV jammer and silencer if I'm generating a trail of loud friendlies as I'm sneaking around!

Yeah I use dead silence on all my classes, so, just like you, I gotta try and split from my buddies pretty quickly. Nothing like running through a building and all of the sudden hearing the *THUMP* *THUMP* *THUMP* of your buddy running up the stairs.

At least I don't use UAV jammer I suppose. That would be really annoying if you're doing your thing waiting for overconfident bad guys to walk by, only to have some jobber spawn next to you and give you away. Suppose they gotta spawn somewhere I guess.

Andokuky said:
Host changing like Halo 3 would be better but in that game each team goes their seperate ways and the room ends anyway so...

A SOCOM setup where the host can leave and a new host is assigned based on connection all on the fly with no stoppage in gameplay would be perfect.

Huh? The SOCOM setup you described is exactly how Halo 2 and Halo 3 work as well.

Andokuky

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
Huh? The SOCOM setup you described is exactly how Halo 2 and Halo 3 work as well.

Not the Halo 2 or 3 I played. Every time the host would change in those games you would get the long pause and "establishing connection" or whatever screen then when the new host was picked and connections were stable it would drop you back into the game. I always assumed that was the host changing because it would only happen sometimes when people left rooms, not all the time. So those people that left when it did happen had to have been hosts. I see no other reason to randomly stop the game and re-establish connections if the host is still there.

Andokuky

Banned
SOCOM was peer to peer.

Here's another thing for the patch: NERF THE DAMN MARTYRDOM NADES!!

I'm in a S&D game right now on Ambush and I kill this dude on the bottom floor of a two story building, run up the stairs to the second floor and around the corner and the fucking grenade STILL killed me. I have never understood the point of that perk, it just rewards people who failed. "Oh you got shot... well here's a completely unrealistic grenade out of nowhere to try and get you a cheap kill."

At least the last stand perk has a realistic qualifier on it in that you can't be hit by any sort of "fatal" shot and still use it. To use martyrdom you should not only be required to have a grenade left in your arsenal to drop but you should also have the same last stand rules apply because if I blow your head off with a shotgun, how are you going to drop a grenade real quick as you drop?

That said, I'm fine with the perk being in the game. Usually it's easy enough to get away from the grenade and unless the map is really small, it's no big deal. But it really sucks when you hear it drop, run more than far enough away to where it shouldn't kill you, and for some reason it still does. They seem to have a bigger damage radius than regular nades sometimes, which makes it even more frustrating.

Andokuky said:
SOCOM was peer to peer.

Here's another thing for the patch: NERF THE DAMN MARTYRDOM NADES!!

I'm in a S&D game right now on Ambush and I kill this dude on the bottom floor of a two story building, run up the stairs to the second floor and around the corner and the fucking grenade STILL killed me. I have never understood the point of that perk, it just rewards people who failed. "Oh you got shot... well here's a completely unrealistic grenade out of nowhere to try and get you a cheap kill."

At least the last stand perk has a realistic qualifier on it in that you can't be hit by any sort of "fatal" shot and still use it. To use martyrdom you should not only be required to have a grenade left in your arsenal to drop but you should also have the same last stand rules apply because if I blow your head off with a shotgun, how are you going to drop a grenade real quick as you drop?

That said, I'm fine with the perk being in the game. Usually it's easy enough to get away from the grenade and unless the map is really small, it's no big deal. But it really sucks when you hear it drop, run more than far enough away to where it shouldn't kill you, and for some reason it still does. They seem to have a bigger damage radius than regular nades sometimes, which makes it even more frustrating.

It's because the grenade rolls after they drop it, sometimes down terrain. All they would have to do to fix it is have it "stick" to the person who is using it. That way its fair.

Andokuky

Banned
I know it drops and rolls sometimes if you're on a hill or something but that rarely comes up in my experience. Usually people use it on small maps like Vacant and sometimes it kills you from ridiculous distances. Like the example I posted about, the floor in the room is flat and I am freaking on another floor of the building and the thing kills me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I love to push my systems to their max, and today I decided to do just that again to see how COD4's FPS fared (360 ver).

Holy hell, it drops a lot =P. In TDM its PERFECT, but start a Ground Wars domination game, on Backlot, and shit I swear it drops to 30FPS or less. But ya know what? I don't give a shit cuz I love it, and I have this strange fetish of seeing the FPS go down just for the fact that I know my console is being pushed hard =). The fact that such an awesome looking game runs at 60FPS is amazing.

I don't know, I just refound my love with COD4 and I am hooked to it. I just can't seem to bring myself back =P. IW did an awesome job in this game, especially the MP department. Sure it has some flaws, same as every game, but its been a LONG LONG time since I have had so much fun with a game.

I am saying it NOW: I amNOT buying COD5 :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
miyamotofreak said:
[/B][/B]
It's because the grenade rolls after they drop it, sometimes down terrain. All they would have to do to fix it is have it "stick" to the person who is using it. That way its fair.
Where in any sort of reality does a grenade set itself off? This is why I hate Martyrdom so much. I always use last stand since it at least is grounded in reality. By that I mean when you get shot you actually still have some fight left in you before the inevitable. Martyrdom is for cheap/noob players and should be patched out. It breaks the game a little.

itsgreen

LiquidMetal14 said:
Where in any sort of reality does a grenade set itself off? This is why I hate Martyrdom so much. I always use last stand since it at least is grounded in reality. By that I mean when you get shot you actually still have some fight left in you before the inevitable. Martyrdom is for cheap/noob players and should be patched out. It breaks the game a little.

I hardly get killed by martyrdom, it is avoidable.

Sometimes I do run behind someone who kills someone else and I walk right in the nade :p but to say it breaks the game? nah.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
itsgreen said:

Sometimes I do run behind someone who kills someone else and I walk right in the nade :p but to say it breaks the game? nah.
My emotions for the best of me, forgiveness pleeez!

SonnyBoy

raYne said:
I've said the same thing to people online. I usually get high level prestige players asking me if I'm, "scared to go prestige" or some vulgar variation, after I beat them. :lol

I've been level 55 with the option for months and I'm never planning on doing it. As you said, it's a complete waste of time just to get a colorful medal? Ooo... ahhh.. I'd sooner do the gold weapons, but I don't care about those either.

At least now I can play for fun (*gasp*), use what I want and screw around with various custom settings when I'm bored, instead of using weapons I hate just to level up again.

I'm on my way back! I have two dead 360's but won't be denied! I used the brick from my dead elite with my dead premium and BOOM! a working 360! Hopefully I'll get online before the coffins arrive.

Treo360

itsgreen said:

Does it break the game? Nah, not really, however it is cheap and it does reward the player for getting killed, you give a perfect example of it.

Funny, I just saw a video on live leak of an Iraqi with and rpg getting taken out by Marines and I could not stop thinking about if he had time to pull a grenade out of his ass and blow himself up.

Fucked up, I know.

MrCompletely said:
If you have a problem with Martyrdom, play Hardcore, where Martyrdom will actually hurt your team much more than help it.

I don't understand why more people don't play Hardcore TDM.

*There's more communication between a team
*Martyrdom is heavily looked down upon
*No grenade spam (well maybe just in the initial 30 secs of a level).
*No crosshairs
*Slower tactical pace
*Friendly fire which alters the way the entire game is approached.

I've played about 300 hardcore matches and only twice have I had team-killing retards and they only lasted for that one match.

I see folks make a billion complaints about the game that are eliminated just from playing a different mode. Do people really need their crosshairs that bad? *shrugs*

raYne

SonnyBoy said:
I'm on my way back! I have two dead 360's but won't be denied! I used the brick from my dead elite with my dead premium and BOOM! a working 360! Hopefully I'll get online before the coffins arrive.
I wondered what happened to you. Cobbled zombie 360 eh? :lol

Also, 32.39%! :D

Down from 32.42, 'cause I got bored and started screwing around with light machineguns.
:lol

Outdoor Miner said:
I don't understand why more people don't play Hardcore TDM.

*There's more communication between a team
*Martyrdom is heavily looked down upon
*No grenade spam (well maybe just in the initial 30 secs of a level).
*No crosshairs
*Slower tactical pace
*Friendly fire which alters the way the entire game is approached.

I've played about 300 hardcore matches and only twice have I had team-killing retards and they only lasted for that one match.

I see folks make a billion complaints about the game that are eliminated just from playing a different mode. Do people really need their crosshairs that bad? *shrugs*

In my personal opinion, I don't play it because it's just too few hits to kill someone. As a result, everyone camps since you only gotta barely tag someone to kill them. I hate camping, I run around all the time. I played one Hardcore TDM, I think I was 27-29 kill/death while everyone else was 10-5, 7-4, 3-7 you get the idea. Most boring match I've ever played.

I do like that I can not use stopping power though. I always want to use UAV jammer, but I always go with stopping power. In Hardcore, the loss of damage is no big deal.

As for the martyrdom discussion, stabbing a guy and he still drops a grenade? FUCKING LAME. Should definitely have the same restrictions as last stand. Still lame regardless, but I would have less rage about it.

Today I played against a guy whining about claymores, how people who use claymores suck because they can't kill with bullets.

I told him to grow a pair and stop whining. Or to at least cry to his mom because she might actually care.

Then the next round while we were both dead (I died first) he was balling me out for getting killed or something. And I said, "oh, you died too? I'm so sorry." He said he was killed by a sniper, then started to bitch about snipers and how they suck because they don't use closer ranged guns.

:lol

My friends and I however have been having SO much fun playing small Private Sabotage matches. Usually we play with uneven teams and I will always be on the outnumbered team (or by myself altogether). The grenade launcher saves my ass so many times because I can't run to the bomb site in time to kill them AND defuse. I just run up there, launch a 'nade (with Sonic Boom) and after the smoke clears carefully step over their dead bodies and defuse. :D

Top Bottom