• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

ShowDog

UnholySpectacle said:
Incoming gripe: I joined 7 matches in a row in team tactical where I was put on the losing team with no hope of winning. After sticking with the first 5 matches I just quit out of the last 2. I have never run into this problem until last night. WTF? Does this game need a team balancing option now?

I almost never drop out of a match but last night made me furious. Who wants to be put into a Headquarters match when the other team is up 175-30? Nothing you can do but suck it up I guess.

Hah, the worst is when matchmaking drops you into team deathmatch with the score set at 720 - 400, of course putting you on the losing team. After the inevitable loss, the server drops connection in the lobby. Then it's right back to matchmaking. Such a waste of time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Jtrizzy said:
So is there no matchmaking in this game? I like the MP, other than the stupid martyrdom perk, which is bullshit. I just got the game and would like to play with some people on my skill level, as opposed to people who've been playing 24-7 since launch and have better weapons than I do.

Default weapons are the best :)

kurahadol

My roommate just started playing this online last night and it has been hilarious watching him.

His first two games he went 16-3 and 15-6 and I was blown away that he managed this. Every other game....it has been the complete opposite :lol

True definition of beginner's luck.

raYne

Jtrizzy said:
Why is it not possible to be matched with other players on your skill level?
Jtrizzy said:
So is there no matchmaking in this game? I like the MP, other than the stupid martyrdom perk, which is bullshit. I just got the game and would like to play with some people on my skill level, as opposed to people who've been playing 24-7 since launch and have better weapons than I do.
Your player skill (Truskill) is hidden, so you have to play vs everyone until it settles you into your skill groove. Even then, you'll might still get matched up vs players way better than you, but it should be few and farther between in comparison to now. For example, noobs tend to be matched together. So a high level could be in a room and be matched in with low skillers who haven't settled yet. Then the server will throw in at least 3-4 more low levellers because of it.

Plus, you have to remember it's a skill range So people plus or minus your skill level will always be there.

In other words, yes there's proper matchmaking, but it takes a while.

Calen said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that this would punt you after a minute or so of not picking a class. Maybe FFA is different that way, I'll have to look into it.
I've never tried to max out the time though. As I said, it's only for maybe 20+ seconds like to get a drink or something.

raYne

killakiz said:
WTF golden shotgun?
Each class has an unlockable "golden" version of a single weapon. You get a gold Desert Eagle when you reach level 55 and you can get:
-Gold AK-47 - Complete all Assault Rifle challenges
-Gold Desert Eagle - Attain Level 55
-Gold Dragonuv - Complete all Sniper Rifle challenges
-Gold M1014 - Complete all Shotgun challenges
-Gold M60 - Complete all LMG challenges
-Gold Mini-Uzi - Complete all SMG challenges

But they aren't any stronger than the normal versions. They're just shiny. :lol

ukiraros

raYne said:
Each class has an unlockable "golden" version of a single weapon. You get a gold Desert Eagle when you reach level 55 and you can get:
-Gold AK-47 - Complete all Assault Rifle challenges
-Gold Desert Eagle - Attain Level 55
-Gold Dragonuv - Complete all Sniper Rifle challenges
-Gold M1014 - Complete all Shotgun challenges
-Gold M60 - Complete all LMG challenges
-Gold Mini-Uzi - Complete all SMG challenges

But they aren't any stronger than the normal versions. They're just shiny. :lol

The only golden weapon that I have not seen is the Dragonuv.

Hey guys is there some sort of "official" Neogaf clan. I'm not trying to join one but I thought it would be cool if people who post on GAF actually made it clear via a clan name instead of maybe in there bios. I only play FFA and I'm often in the top 3, what better place to pimp out my second home.

traveler

Not Wario
Jtrizzy said:
Why is it not possible to be matched with other players on your skill level?

You are, you just don't see it. (i.e. You're matched by your TruSkill rating- which is invisible to the player- not your experience, since equal experience doesn't guarantee equal skill levels.).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
marvelharvey said:
Finally, level 55... and I still haven't discovered how to cancel the reload animation.

You mean faster reloading? That's Sleight of Hand (perk 2). You unlock it at Rank 20.

Or is that a glitch your are talking about?

Calen

Jtrizzy said:
Matchmaking uses your Trueskill value on 360 (and a different measure of player skill on PS3.) This doesn't have anything to do with your in game level, just your personal skill. It's entirely possible to be high level and suck (I am a prime example of this.)

Edited to add: Whoops, lots of people beat me to this answer already.

TTP said:
You mean faster reloading? That's Sleight of Hand (perk 2). You unlock it at Rank 20.

Or is that a glitch your are talking about?

I've definitely seen people start firing mid reload, via kill cam. They were not using sleight of hand. I have no idea how they did it either. Mildly frustrating, but I am starting to get used to switching weapons to cancel it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
IcebergSlim3000 said:
Hey guys is there some sort of "official" Neogaf clan. I'm not trying to join one but I thought it would be cool if people who post on GAF actually made it clear via a clan name instead of maybe in there bios. I only play FFA and I'm often in the top 3, what better place to pimp out my second home.

I have the PS3 version, and I've been using "GAF" as my clan tag. I've never come across any other Gaffers whilst playing CoD4, even though I've got two or three of them on my friends list.

PedroLumpy said:
I've definitely seen people start firing mid reload, via kill cam. They were not using sleight of hand. I have no idea how they did it either. Mildly frustrating, but I am starting to get used to switching weapons to cancel it.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've been able to start firing mid-reload (with a full clip) but it was completely unintentional.

Kordos

Finally got around to using Victrix's hip-fire Uzi build last night.

I love it, and I love it even more with a Silencer. Definitely a blast to play, super effective at corners / close quarters, and surprisingly effective at low-to-medium range.

And additionally, being a close-range Stopping Power build, you always have the option of dropping your pistol for a nearby AR, giving you the option of long range if you so choose.

Definitely going to have a place among my 5 custom classes.

ShowDog

PedroLumpy said:

As long as you have slammed the clip into your gun you can quickly tap sprint and it will cancel the reload animation without your guy having to pull back on levers or whatever other bullshit the reload animation makes you do. So ya, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through you can cancel it by sprinting (this is with the mp5). I never use the other guns so I don't know what thats like. Switching guns sounds like it would take longer than just reloading normally.

Victrix

*beard*
Kordos said:
Finally got around to using Victrix's hip-fire Uzi build last night.

I love it, and I love it even more with a Silencer. Definitely a blast to play, super effective at corners / close quarters, and surprisingly effective at low-to-medium range.

*thumbs up*

Glad it works, it's hard to know if you're insane or not in a vacuum. I derive great glee from spreading this cult, taking down the usual suspects with this build is hilarious.

Did you have any issues at a distance with the silencer on?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll give it a try as well, seeing how the Uzi is one of the guns i've been ignoring so far. Ironically enough, the Skorpion was the first weapon I used, and I used it near-exclusively until I got the M4 unlocked.

I'm curious how well your technique would work with the AKS-74u, did you try it with that?

Victrix

*beard*
industrian said:
I'll give it a try as well, seeing how the Uzi is one of the guns i've been ignoring so far. Ironically enough, the Skorpion was the first weapon I used, and I used it near-exclusively until I got the M4 unlocked.

I'm curious how well your technique would work with the AKS-74u, did you try it with that?

Badly, I mentioned it in one of the posts, but the AK, MP5, and P90 all did much better for me playing 'normally', with some combination of scoping, bursting, or spraying. I think it mostly has to do with the base fire rate, and while you can put double tap on those guns, that still didn't work especially well for me. When you do the tapitytaptap with those guns, the firing bursts are... strange. I dunno, definitely give it a shot, but I just found the skorp and the uzi worked way better.

The AK-74 is otherwise my favorite smg, that thing is a pure beast :D

Tron999

Victrix said:
Badly, I mentioned it in one of the posts, but the AK, MP5, and P90 all did much better for me playing 'normally', with some combination of scoping, bursting, or spraying. I think it mostly has to do with the base fire rate, and while you can put double tap on those guns, that still didn't work especially well for me. When you do the tapitytaptap with those guns, the firing bursts are... strange. I dunno, definitely give it a shot, but I just found the skorp and the uzi worked way better.

The AK-74 is otherwise my favorite smg, that thing is a pure beast :D

The AK-74 has a great sound to it on full burst.

industrian said:

The Uzi rocks, I use it with my custom special-ops build specifically built for HQ multi-player. With this build I'm able to run really fast and long distances to the HQ locations and take out people close range in buildings with the Uzi.

ShowDog said:
As long as you have slammed the clip into your gun you can quickly tap sprint and it will cancel the reload animation without your guy having to pull back on levers or whatever other bullshit the reload animation makes you do. So ya, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through you can cancel it by sprinting (this is with the mp5). I never use the other guns so I don't know what thats like. Switching guns sounds like it would take longer than just reloading normally.

Yeah, switching weapons isn't ideal, but you only have to double tap y, you don't have to wait for the other gun to come out.

Man, I hate that sort of bullshit with skipping animations. Why the hell aren't you forced to actually properly reload your gun? Any sort of tomfoolery mid-animation should result in having to reload your weapon again. At the very least they should tell people that it is possible to skip most of the animation via the message of the day.

Boy that makes sleight of hand not very useful as well. Obviously still useful on LMG's I guess.

And I might try that Uzi build. I went through all the trouble to get golden camo, I might as well use it.

Calen

ShowDog said:
Switching guns sounds like it would take longer than just reloading normally.
Depends on the guns, and you don't have to wait for them to completely come out. It also doesn't work too early in the reload.

raYne said:
People don't snipe all that much compared to usage of other weapons, so I'm not surprised.

Sniping is only really fun in Team Hardcore. I use Claymores, UAV Jammer, and Stopping power. You can snipe and get headshots all day long, then when someone thinks they found where you are sniping (remember no kill cam) they try to come up for you and get killed by your claymores which in turn nets you a free kill and warns you to move the hell out of your spot and find a new one since that dude is going to come back and he is going to be pissed.

SUPREME1

Banned
Bored, so here are some of the Custom Classes I've created and mostly stick with. Please excuse the cornball names I assigned to them, lol.

SMGs

Hitman:
P90
Red Tiger - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

Baby AK:
AK-74u
Digital - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

Midnight:
MP5
No Camo - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

ARs

Vietnam:
M16
Digital - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Increased Stamina

Merc:
AK-47
Digital - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

M4 Auto:
M4
Blue Tiger - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

Elite:
G36c
Red Tiger - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

Gangsta:
MP44
No Camo - None
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

LMGs

SAW:
SAW
Red Tiger - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

Raw:
RPD
Red Tiger - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

Bigtime:
M60e4
Gold - Red Dot
Desert Eagle - Gold
Concussion Grenade
x3 Frags
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

As you can see, I try to spread the love between the 3 classes above. I have a few digital/red/blue camoes in the mix... with the GOLD M60 being my claim to fame, even thoug the SAW is where my heart is at. For those of you who would diss LMGs as not needing skill, I'd like to point out that they have way many more cons than other weapons. Also, suck a d*ck!

I have a Barrett, but rarely use it (20? kills). I hate the sniper rifles.

I just started trying to use the shotguns, but I can see that I'll like using them.

/done.

raYne

ImperialConquest said:
For those of you who would diss LMGs as not needing skill, I'd like to point out that they have way many more cons than other weapons. Also, suck a d*ck!
70a7c64a.gif

:lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Dunlop said:
No which pisses me off, I'm relly tired of the only LAN option (We have 4 TV's and generally 8 people) being Halo3. Why does not other game offer this? This game is so fucking good, I really want the to add this, the splitscreen code is already there.....
Im surprised no one has corrected this. But it does have 4 player split screen and LAN.

Andokuky

Banned
21 kills, 1 assist, 1 death just now in S&D on Ambush :lol

Got killed by a grenade in round 1, we lost that round. Got 5 kills the next round, we won. Called the airstrike, got 5 more kills and then later killed the 6th guy. We're up 2-1. 2 of their guys leave as soon as the entire team is wiped out by the airstrike. I call another one the next round, only get one guy, but kill the rest of the team later in the round. I'm sitting at 16 kills 1 death entering round 5, I kill all 5 people to end up with 21. Got 1700 points with no challenges :lol Greatest S&D match ever. I want to get a helicopter when one team has 7 people though, that would be brutal in S&D.

Holy shit, Victrix's Uzi build totally works. The loss of dead silence bugs me, but I'll probably use it on at least Vacant, maybe Downpour maybe more depending on how effective it is over some more play sessions. Do we have a name for this class? Uzi build is somewhat deceptive since it doesn't have to use the Uzi.

SUPREME1

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Holy shit, Victrix's Uzi build totally works. The loss of dead silence bugs me, but I'll probably use it on at least Vacant, maybe Downpour maybe more depending on how effective it is over some more play sessions. Do we have a name for this class? Uzi build is somewhat deceptive since it doesn't have to use the Uzi.

I use the same build on the P90/MP44 and they work beautifully.

As long as you have STOPPING POWER and STEADY AIM.... you're good to go in CQC.

The P90 & MP44 seem to narrow the target area the longer you shoot.. It's amazing.

raYne

ImperialConquest said:
Pretty dam nsweet video.

Curious though, what system is on? 360/PS3/PC/NGage?
It's definteily not PC, since the PC version doesn't look (or move) like that. Upon close inspection, it'd be the 360 going by the d-pad on the HUD.

PedroLumpy said:
I think that dude reloads after each kill, just so the Killcam shows the dead guy his golden Dragonuv. Although he seems to be playing on Hardcore for some of the video.

The sniper challenges are pretty easy to complete when you play Hardcore.

PedroLumpy said:
People more cautious move less/slower? Thus allowing for easier headshots?

Yeah, you will constantly find people just standing still cause they are sniping or trying to camp others and you can take your time and make sure you get a headshot.

Plus, you can snipe for longer due to the kill cam being gone so the other team might not find you for a while and then add on top of that the extra damage you do with each shot, it's a one hit kill with the sniper in that mode.

SMZC

PedroLumpy said:
People more cautious move less/slower? Thus allowing for easier headshots?

That too, but the most important thing is that, on hardcore, every sniper shot = one death. Even if you don't have Stopping Power.

SMZC said:
That too, but the most important thing is that, on hardcore, every sniper shot = one death. Even if you don't have Stopping Power.

Stopping power is a worthless perk in Hardcore.

Oh, and one last thing you can re-snipe a guy over and over again since for some reason you got these guys who will get sniped in a spot, then go right back to the exact same spot only to be sniped again. I really don't understand the logic behind it. Last night I sniped the same guy 4 times in a row in the exact same spot because he kept going back over there. He then tried to come and get me and got blown up by my claymore.

It was hard to shoot because I was laughing so hard.

bjscott05

Sorry if old info.

******* said:
Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling gets it. He knows that even though similar levels in a game like Call of Duty 4 are an important part of creating a coherent world, people want something different in a pack of downloadable content. And that's exactly what they'll be getting, with an upcoming pack of three maps. But as to what, exactly, that means, Bowling still isn't saying.

What he will say is that those who've been clamoring for new content may already have a good idea of what's on the way. "It's a lot of community feedback, they want bigger maps, more buildings, more close quarters fighting. It's going to be really evident that it's stuff that they asked for," Bowling said. "People in the community should have a good idea of what to expect."

The maps are now in the playtesting phase

I want them now. Very good to hear they are using new environments.

SMZC said:

Even with the single-shot firing assault rifles it's usually one-hit kills.

My "sniper" weapon for Hardcore is actually a G3 with an ACOG.

OldJadedGamer said:
Stopping power is a worthless perk in Hardcore.

Oh, and one last thing you can re-snipe a guy over and over again since for some reason you got these guys who will get sniped in a spot, then go right back to the exact same spot only to be sniped again. I really don't understand the logic behind it. Last night I sniped the same guy 4 times in a row in the exact same spot because he kept going back over there. He then tried to come and get me and got blown up by my claymore.

It was hard to shoot because I was laughing so hard.

Yeah, forgot the lack of a killcam would make a snipers job much easier. No need to vacate after each shot, and I imagine one could take UAV jammer in slot 2 since stopping power is unnecessary. Frankly I would imagine most people take UAV jammer in hardcore, unless Juggs really helps...

Top Bottom