• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

PedroLumpy said:
Yeah, forgot the lack of a killcam would make a snipers job much easier. No need to vacate after each shot, and I imagine one could take UAV jammer in slot 2 since stopping power is unnecessary. Frankly I would imagine most people take UAV jammer in hardcore, unless Juggs really helps...

UAV Jammer is a requirement since the second an enemy UAV goes up, everyone is glued to their radar until it disappears again. Juggs, does nothing for you and again is another worthless perk in Hardcore.

Team Hardcore is by far my favorite. Nothing is more satisfying then pulling off your first MVP in Hardcore.

SMZC

Speaking of hardcore... I don't know about you guys, but lately I haven't been able to enjoy regular Team Deathmatch as I did before. With the instant respawn, and with the friendly fire turned off, I think it gets too chaotic sometimes.

I also love hardcore's more tactical feeling, and the fact that most perks are actually useful. Stopping Power is almost a must on the non-hardcore modes. Sure, the other perks can be useful, but it doesn't really matter when you get into combat and the other guy has more chances of winning because his bullets do more damage, or because he has Juggernaut.

As some have pointed out, Stopping Power and Juggernaut are actually useless on hardcore, forcing you to look for alternatives. On the other hand, those perks that were
almost
a waste before, now are very useful. For example, choosing Overkill actually lets you have two competent weapons instead of sacrificing effectiveness for the sake of carrying two different weapons. UAV Jammer is as useful as before, but just as it happens with Overkill, you don't have to sacrifice weapon damage to be stealthy. The same applies to Sleight of Hand and so on.

I admit hardcore can get frustrating to me sometimes, but overall, I think I enjoy it much more than the other modes now.

JB1981

SMZC said:
Speaking of hardcore... I don't know about you guys, but lately I haven't been able to enjoy regular Team Deathmatch as I did before. With the instant respawn, and with the friendly fire turned off, I think it gets too chaotic sometimes.

I also love hardcore's more tactical feeling, and the fact that most perks are actually useful. Stopping Power is almost a must on the non-hardcore modes. Sure, the other perks can be useful, but it doesn't really matter when you get into combat and the other guy has more chances of winning because his bullets do more damage, or because he has Juggernaut.

As some have pointed out, Stopping Power and Juggernaut are actually useless on hardcore, forcing you to look for alternatives. On the other hand, those perks that were
almost
a waste before, now are very useful. For example, choosing Overkill actually lets you have two competent weapons instead of sacrificing effectiveness for the sake of carrying two different weapons. UAV Jammer is as useful as before, but just as it happens with Overkill, you don't have to sacrifice weapon damage to be stealthy. The same applies to Sleight of Hand and so on.

I admit hardcore can get frustrating to me sometimes, but overall, I think I enjoy it much more than the other modes now.

I am going to try out Hardcore. Is there radar?

SMZC

JB1981 said:
I am going to try out Hardcore. Is there radar?

Nope. The UAV still pops up whenever you or a teammate calls it, but that's it.

I think it's great, because you have to rely on sound much more than on the regular modes. Obviously, having no radar also means that there's no red dot whenever an enemy fires a weapon without a suppressor (unless you have a UAV).

SMZC said:

I can't go back to TDM after HC, only when friends I'm playing with insist perhaps. You really see how retarded that mode is once you get accustomed to HC. Grenade spam, noob tubes up the ass, tardyrdom, etc, it's just not enjoyable on any level. Well, except for the part where my KD ratio is like 2.5-3 to 1 in TDM (plus guaranteed MVP) and only 1.5 to 1 in HC.

My 2 main classes

TDM
Silenced MP5
Claymore x2
Juggernaut
Dead Silence

HC
G36C (Red Dot sight)
Claymore x2
UAV Jammer
Deep Impact (though due to increased weapon dmg, Last Stand is great too and WILL get you many kills)

Outdoor Miner said:
I can't go back to TDM after HC, only when friends I'm playing with insist perhaps. You really see how retarded that mode is once you get accustomed to HC. Grenade spam, noob tubes up the ass, tardyrdom, etc, it's just not enjoyable on any level. Well, except for the part where my KD ratio is like 2.5-3 to 1 in TDM (plus guaranteed MVP) and only 1.5 to 1 in HC.

HC is a big camp fest though. To each their own and everything, but as soon as I played a HC match on crossfire, and the entire team spawned as snipers except for me, I knew I was in the wrong playlist.

I am glad that it seems the DLC maps will be larger. I think firefights happen too quickly with most of the current maps.
I remember old CoD maps like Carentan, Bocage, Dawnville, etc. that at least in my memory were larger and had more time in between the skirmish. They also seemed to be more flexible for various strategies.

X26

Banned
If there's one thing I like about prestige, it's that it forces me to use weapons I hadn't generally used before if I want to rank up faster, case in point: G3

I'm on prestige 4 now and had never used the gun outside of picking it up off a body when in a match when my primary is out of ammo, but decided to do it for the challenges, DMAN! The thing is a beast! Decent iron sights, great with the red dot, powerful, low recoil, and very ammo efficient. Ended up getting 150 kills with it in no time and did very well using it. Overall I'd say it's even on par with the M16.

DuckRacer

I just realized that playing Hardcore TDM with an M9 pistol is ridiculously fun. Slap on stopping power and it actually becomes better than most guns (because of mobility and the lag of aiming down the sights being nonexistent). You guys should give it a try.

Sushen

PedroLumpy said:
HC is a big camp fest though. To each their own and everything, but as soon as I played a HC match on crossfire, and the entire team spawned as snipers except for me, I knew I was in the wrong playlist.
Sounds like it's the polar opposite of HQ which is CQC battle in every match unless you're one of those loser campers in the mode.

ShowDog

I hope they fix the glitch where guys can hide behind walls and still see over them. I hate seeing someone through my scope with absolutely nothing but the tip top of their forehead peeking over the wall, yet I get shot and see the killcam and on their screen the whole damn gun is hanging over the wall! The gun just clips right through the wall, and it's total bullshit. I'm sure people have complained about this before, but holy shit it's ridiculous. If I can't see their gun, it shouldn't be able to shoot me.

SMZC

X26 said:
If there's one thing I like about prestige, it's that it forces me to use weapons I hadn't generally used before if I want to rank up faster, case in point: G3

I'm on prestige 4 now and had never used the gun outside of picking it up off a body when in a match when my primary is out of ammo, but decided to do it for the challenges, DMAN! The thing is a beast! Decent iron sights, great with the red dot, powerful, low recoil, and very ammo efficient. Ended up getting 150 kills with it in no time and did very well using it. Overall I'd say it's even on par with the M16.

I agree. I don't know what all the bitching about the M16 is about, when the G3 is just as effective. It even does more damage per bullet, and the recoil is pretty much the same, except that you can control it better because it only fires one bullet instead of three. The iron-sights are also vastly superior (you don't even need the red dot sight).

If you're complaining about the M16, you might just complain about the G3 as well :\

Vaxadrin

Banned
So I read a post a few pages back about using a silencer & steady aim on a P90, and just bypassing the iron sights entirely. I tried it yesterday, and holy fucking shit, I was getting like 30 kills 5 deaths in the deathmatch modes. I use it on two of my classes now and it's just insane.

Also:
Headquarters - Grenade spam + people camping the last HQ, running out the game and just raking in kills for the last 8 minues. I hate this playlist so much.
Hardcore Games - Foot sniping -> instant death....bullshit. I actually think this playlist takes even less skill because it's just a matter of camping until someone runs into your sights.

My personal favorites to play are Sabotage and Search & Destroy, but I like them best when played in the Team Tactical playlist. 3v3 matches are so much more instense, skill-requisite, and fun. Plus you don't get shit like a noob tube taking out 3/4 of your team in the first 2 seconds of a Hardcore Search & Destroy match.

Dunlop

Finally figured out why I was so shit, little thing called aiming o_O

I was firing from the hip a little too much, damn you Halo....

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
guise said:
Jesus christ, mile high club on veteran is going to drive me insane.

I gave up on that long ago. It will probably always be the achievement that will haunt me the most. :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Victrix said:
Badly, I mentioned it in one of the posts, but the AK, MP5, and P90 all did much better for me playing 'normally', with some combination of scoping, bursting, or spraying. I think it mostly has to do with the base fire rate, and while you can put double tap on those guns, that still didn't work especially well for me. When you do the tapitytaptap with those guns, the firing bursts are... strange. I dunno, definitely give it a shot, but I just found the skorp and the uzi worked way better.

The AK-74 is otherwise my favorite smg, that thing is a pure beast :D

I gave the Uzi trick a try on my first ever FFA game at the weekend. I came third. Running and gunning took some getting used to, as ever since the original CoD I've had the "always aim down the sights" mentality drilled into my head. That and the fact that tap-a-tap-a-tapping the fire button conflicts with my "hold it 'til they're dead" mentality. I found it incredibly easy to nail people from close to medium range though. I'll give it time and practice more, but thanks for getting me to use the Uzi as it's given me 700+ XP points. ;)

X26

Banned
Had a bit of a scare recently, game was getting DREs when backlot or downpour loaded up. Noticed some smudge rings on the disk and after a little spit and shine it was good as new.

Anyways on an unrelated note what determines match bonuses anyways? So often I'll hear teammates say they got x match bonus and I'm like "wtf?" when I did better than them. Is it rank based or something?

Vaxadrin

Banned
X26 said:
Had a bit of a scare recently, game was getting DREs when backlot or downpour loaded up. Noticed some smudge rings on the disk and after a little spit and shine it was good as new.

Anyways on an unrelated note what determines match bonuses anyways? So often I'll hear teammates say they got x match bonus and I'm like "wtf?" when I did better than them. Is it rank based or something?

I think there's some behind the scenes stats like MVP and whatnot. Also, if you're playing objective based games it could be based on capturing points or killing bomb carriers, etc.

What I would love to see in this game is something like Domination on maps 2x or 3x as big as the ones that we have now, with 9v9 teams.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
patch coming very soon according to fourzerotwo...

http://iamfourzerotwo.com/
I got word that the Xbox 360 Feature patch could be ‘very very close’, I can’t tell you exactly when because they haven’t passed on that information but apparently certification went fantastic and I was given the Green light to take care of some things that I have to do before it goes live to you guys, which means good things. I’m not going to get any hopes up, but I hope to be seeing some new Kill Cams by the weekend if we’re lucky. Don’t hold me to that though, but I have a good feeling about it.

BeeDog

If there's one thing Infinity Ward suck at majorly, it's that they've always been taking their sweet-ass time with the patches (and I don't mean the QA certification time). :p Hopefully the PS3 patch will hit soon!

Nizz

Dunlop said:
Finally figured out why I was so shit, little thing called aiming o_O

I was firing from the hip a little too much, damn you Halo....
I'm the oppposite, I depend on looking down the sight instead of shooting from the hip. I really need to practice shooting from the hip more...

h3ro said:
fourzerotwo also mentioned that the PS3 version's patch has been sent to Sony.
Awesome news!

Victrix

*beard*
btw, though I'm about to prestige again and wipe it, I'm at blue tiger with the mini-uzi and damn close to red tiger

current best is nailing someone, from the hip per usual, across the entire north warehouse on pipeline while he was running at an angle away from me

after playing with a lot more, its by no means the one-size-fits-all build, but man, it is effective

It also lets you run around and play quake in cod pretty effectively, which is a nice change of pace :)

I need some information about the ps3 version :eek:

Is the online region locked ?
Can I play with a NTSC call of duty 4 on a PAL PS3 against people who own a PAL call of duty 4 ?

Jtrizzy

Sorry, just got this on PS3 and I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but could someone please explain the thought process behind including the Martyrdom perk in this game?

Also wondering why there is no lobby, I just got this game and am constantly playing with people who are ranked way ahead of me. WTF?

zam

Jtrizzy said:
Sorry, just got this on PS3 and I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but could someone please explain the thought process behind including the Martyrdom perk in this game?

Also wondering why there is no lobby, I just got this game and am constantly playing with people who are ranked way ahead of me. WTF?
The thought process was "hey, let's give people who die a lot an easy way to kill people".

And you military rank is not the same as your skill, you have an invisible rank that is used for matching you up with other players.

Jtrizzy

Is the general consensus that martyrdom is completely idiotic?

Sorry, I just realized I did this rant on the last page. Still don't get it though.

raYne

Jtrizzy said:
Yes, but the more you play, the more you get used to it. Then you'll:
-learn to listen for the "tink" sound it makes when the grenade hits the floor.
-get the timing down so you know when its safe (cause it would've blown already).

After that, you'll laugh as people waste a perk spot using it.

Me_Marcadet said:

Can I play with a NTSC call of duty 4 on a PAL PS3 against people who own a PAL call of duty 4 ?
I think it's locked, but I'm not that positive. :/

Jtrizzy

I just don't get why such a great mp shooter would put something this cheesy in the game. I'd be interested to hear an explanation from the devs as to their thought process on this perk.

Victrix

*beard*
Jtrizzy said:
I just don't get why such a great mp shooter would put something this cheesy in the game. I'd be interested to hear an explanation from the devs as to their thought process on this perk.

Literally the only explanation I can come up with is that its purely there to break streaks. I can't come up with any other sane reason.

Tardyrdumb bothers me less than the m16 though, by a longshot. The amount of profanity I expel is directly proportional to the ratio of m16 users on the opposing team.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oh God, Surround Sound really is like a free perk in this game. I cant get over the amount of people claiming I'm cheating because I turn around at the last minute and kill them.

:lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Jtrizzy said:

One of the good things about the hardcore mode is that very few use it there (with friendly fire on and all). Of course, some people run around with it equipped and usually ends up with a very low score due to team killings at the end of the game.

Router said:
Oh God, Surround Sound really is like a free perk in this game. I cant get over the amount of people claiming I'm cheating because I turn around at the last minute and kill them.

Yeah, you can definitely listen very well in the game, and that's why dead silence is a good thing in, for instance, search & destroy. I always listen for the defuse sound and people sneaking when defending a plant.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Router said:

Aye. Same thing happens when I throw on the headphones. Being in a room and hearing where someone is walking in a building is a godsend.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
fps fanatic said:
I'm the oppposite, I depend on looking down the sight instead of shooting from the hip. I really need to practice shooting from the hip more...

Same here. Ever since CoD1 aiming down the sights has been second nature to me.

Me_Marcadet said:

I play online using a UK PSN account on a North American console with a North American version of the game. Since the patch I find myself playing Americans constantly now, so I think it got region locked. Not sure though.

Jtrizzy said:

Sorry, I just realized I did this rant on the last page. Still don't get it though.

No, I think people who get killed by martyrdom are idiotic. It's stupid to just run past a body after you take it down, just like it's stupid to reload right after you get a kill. You have to play it safe.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I spent all last night playing Frontlines: Fuels Of War, and it just made me want to play CoD4 more. I shall be cleansing myself of those unsatisfying shooting mechanics with a healthy dose of P90 & M16 massacre.

It's about to get a whole lot Cheifier in this room.

Frillen

Jtrizzy said:
what's the deal with the M-16?

It's the best weapon in the game, and the people who don't use it, are angry with the ones who actually use it.

I've been using the weapon since day one and right now I have a k/d ratio of 2.97 and slowly going towards 3.

ZmillA

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
The patch is probably coming this weekend.

355076448a3539813805b956872138ml.gif

Top Bottom