• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

PedroLumpy said:
It's probably to small for FFA too. Not sure exactly, but Showdown is too small for shipment, I doubt Killhouse can handle it. There's always cage match though.
Mmm, I had a look throught it just now.
Tis quite small. Although helis or airstrikes would be awesome. (Open ceiling the whole map)

I still can't comprehend why Shipement is in Team Games beside Tactical. WTF?!?!?

woopsie double post.

ElyrionX

Why isn't there a Variety Groundwar mode?

I like Objective games but goddamnit do I hate Search and Destroy and everytime one comes up without getting vetoed I end up looking for another server.

Victrix

*beard*
Random thoughts, after a few evenings of extended play.

One quirk the new maps are exposing, due to their larger size, is even more issues with the spawn system. I've already ranted about the idiocy of HQ location spawns before, but in terms of just *normal* spawns, they're kind of broken on the bigger maps.

Notably, at the START of a match on Broadcast, I spawned staring an enemy in the face across a room.

On Creek, I've spawned being stared at down a gun barrel several times. The larger, open spaces cause this to happen every now and then. It isn't often enough to really piss me off, but it's definitely not great when it happens :/ It's cool watching a killcam where the guy is staring at your location and 'pop!' a target appears!

As for other effects, the ACOG is considerably more useful on both Broadcast and Creek. Most of the mid and smaller size maps from the normal set just don't have good lines of sight for the ACOG - your targets are usually too close, or at a medium distance where a red dot or irons would be just as good, and you suffer from the loss of periphreal vision and the slow scope time.

Good snipers on Creek are hell, bad snipers on Creek are just annoying. Especially annoying is the tendency for the round to start, and you're staring at a row of ghillie asses. This is moderated if you're playing with friends, but god it must suck to pub it up with two teams of 4+ snipers every round. With no one clearing and flanking, it turns into godawful sniper warfare.

Anyway, generally fun otherwise, though I'm annoyed that killhouse doesn't seem to be in the playlists (it says team tactical and cage match, but I thought the new maps weren't integrated into the old lists yet?)

Has anyone seen IW mention how they're going to go about adding the new maps to the playlists?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
so, is there a gaf clan for the ps3 version of this game and if so; what's the schedule?

womp

Victrix said:
Random thoughts, after a few evenings of extended play.

One quirk the new maps are exposing, due to their larger size, is even more issues with the spawn system. I've already ranted about the idiocy of HQ location spawns before, but in terms of just *normal* spawns, they're kind of broken on the bigger maps.

Notably, at the START of a match on Broadcast, I spawned staring an enemy in the face across a room.

On Creek, I've spawned being stared at down a gun barrel several times. The larger, open spaces cause this to happen every now and then. It isn't often enough to really piss me off, but it's definitely not great when it happens :/ It's cool watching a killcam where the guy is staring at your location and 'pop!' a target appears!

As for other effects, the ACOG is considerably more useful on both Broadcast and Creek. Most of the mid and smaller size maps from the normal set just don't have good lines of sight for the ACOG - your targets are usually too close, or at a medium distance where a red dot or irons would be just as good, and you suffer from the loss of periphreal vision and the slow scope time.

Good snipers on Creek are hell, bad snipers on Creek are just annoying. Especially annoying is the tendency for the round to start, and you're staring at a row of ghillie asses. This is moderated if you're playing with friends, but god it must suck to pub it up with two teams of 4+ snipers every round. With no one clearing and flanking, it turns into godawful sniper warfare.

Anyway, generally fun otherwise, though I'm annoyed that killhouse doesn't seem to be in the playlists (it says team tactical and cage match, but I thought the new maps weren't integrated into the old lists yet?)

Has anyone seen IW mention how they're going to go about adding the new maps to the playlists?

I'd personally love if I could choose my respawn point manually from already designated sites in the game as I've noticed that the respawn death in these new maps is particularly bad.

In any case while I agree that Creek is a sniper's paradise on the other hand I've also found that it only makes it easier for me to flank a bunch of idiots stacked in a row on a hill and MP5/silencer combo their asses. :D The same could be said of Bloc but at least there you have walls to contend with and some of these guys make it way too obvious in Creek.

I honestly don't get the multi sniping aspect of Team Deathmatch as a whole. One or two guys sniping on a team of six OK, fine, but unless you are REALLLY good at it (And trust me, I've found that most aren't...I'm one of them, though I don't try to pretend to be good at it either) you are going to end up with a team that has a minimal kill ratio based on what is more or less camping through an entire map.

As for the playlists, outside making the maps free (Which ain't happening) the only reasonably logical way they could do it would be by simply adding the other maps into the variety map pack Team Deathmatch playlist and letting the player continue to choose as they do now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Damn double XP? Why no one inform me of this I would of played more... damnit I want my P90!

USD

U K Narayan said:
I'm just curious. I've only played the beta of this.

You and I played in it, before. I remember. It was grand.
I've heard someone say that Juggernaut has less health and Last Stand last longer, among other things, but I can't confirm it.

EDIT: Didn't know you were talking about since the beta.

USD said:
I've heard someone say that Juggernaut has less health and Last Stand last longer, among other things, but I can't confirm it.
Well, I suppose you could mention differences between the beta and the final version. But I'm really just wondering if Infinity Ward mentioned patching this game at all.

raYne

Well, they've done a bunch of updates. At least 2, but maybe 3 by now. Adding/improving:

-Weapon accuracy.
-Weapon balance.
-Added new kill cams.
-Tweaked matchmaking and host selection.
-Improved network performance in general.
-Added a lot of new spawn points in the old maps.
-Host migration.
-Tweaked gamemode stuff like adding unlimited sprint and higher clip capacity in "Old School" mode
-New control scheme.
-3rd person spectator cam.
-Better player mute option.
-General game fixes.

etc etc etc.

They've added a lot of things. That's why I'm asking if you mean something specific? Of course there were also improvements from the Beta to the retail. Because that was the point of the Beta :p. And of course, being a Beta, there are much more stuff (maps/weapons/perks/ranks/singleplayer lol) in the retail.

womp

I read mention of a helicopter coupled with an active UAV in unison with each other wields more copter kills...Any truth in this?

It makes sense but I wonder if it is something actually in the game or not.

raYne

womp said:
I read mention of a helicopter coupled with an active UAV in unison with each other wields more copter kills...Any truth in this?

I makes sense but I wonder if it is something actually in the game or not.
Nope, it's the placebo effect. There are times where it'll seem like it, but times where it's obvious that it didn't do a thing.

That said, it's still best to do it because it'll reveal the enemies who're hiding from the chopper and you can rush them. :D

U K Narayan said:
Nope. I was just expecting a general statement. (IE: Yes or no. :D)
Oh, well.. yes. :D

USD

It took about two days, but the new maps are all starting to click with me. I'm finally performing just as well as I did on the old maps.

USD

pj325is said:
If host leaves mid-game, everyone will be sent back to the lobby and a new host is selected. It used to be that if the host quits, everyone gets kicked from the lobby.

pj

Banned
USD said:
If host leaves mid-game, everyone will be sent back to the lobby and a new host is selected. It used to be that if the host quits, everyone gets kicked from the lobby.

Oh, I thought you meant REAL host migration, like halo 3

Andokuky

Banned
pj325is said:
Oh, I thought you meant REAL host migration, like socom

Fixed for accuracy. Halo's stop the game, black screen for 15 seconds then randomly throw people back in the game isn't perfect either. Amazing that an old PS2 game has the best host migration features.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Andokuky said:
Fixed for accuracy. Halo's stop the game, black screen for 15 seconds then randomly throw people back in the game isn't perfect either. Amazing that an old PS2 game has the best host migration features.

That's true, but Halo 3 at least lets you finish the game. Host quitting on detonation countdowns in sabotage has pretty much killed that mode for me.

pj

Banned
Andokuky said:

If it could be done well on ps2, it should be a requirement for all current gen games. Nothing's a greater buzz kill than "host has ended the game" in cod4. It's also bad because whenever I'm the host, I feel obligated to not quit, even if I want to stop playing.

pj325is said:
If it could be done well on ps2, it should be a requirement for all current gen games. Nothing's a greater buzz kill than "host has ended the game" in cod4. It's also bad because whenever I'm the host, I feel obligated to not quit, even if I want to stop playing.

I think this is made easier by dedicated servers.

pj

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I think this is made easier by dedicated servers.

I don't think widespread dedicated servers will ever happen on consoles. At least not on xbl. There would be practically no need for host migration if there were dedicated servers, because the host only quits when he shuts the server down or the power goes out or something.

pj325is said:
I don't think widespread dedicated servers will ever happen on consoles. At least not on xbl. There would be practically no need for host migration if there were dedicated servers, because the host only quits when he shuts the server down or the power goes out or something.
Regardless, the option would always be nice to have.

I'm 100% sure that this would negate the existence of matchmaking, though.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
pj325is said:

It won't happen because it is money they would have to spend. But I'd be more likely to pay for the map packs that get released for these games if I had a greater degree of control of what maps I was playing. I'm probably just too used to CSS where you can find a server that has the exact map rotation you want and has nextmap voting.

pj325is said:

I more was hinting at the fact that SOCOM uses dedicated servers (it does, doesn't it?) and that therefore it is easier to cope with the problem of discos.;) As you already stated, this likely won't happen on a large scale this gen. So making it a requirement is not even an option.

Andokuky

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I more was hinting at the fact that SOCOM uses dedicated servers (it does, doesn't it?) and that therefore it is easier to cope with the problem of discos.;) As you already stated, this likely won't happen on a large scale this gen. So making it a requirement is not even an option.

SOCOM doesn't use dedicated servers.

Since there is now XBox Live Silver which lets you do everything Gold members can do except play online, there really, really needs to be dedicated servers for Live games. Paying for peer to peer online play is getting really old :\

botkiller

Andokuky said:
SOCOM doesn't use dedicated servers.
This confuses me. During the 2+ years that I spent playing SOCOM, I never once had a game end or pause while the "host" left. Also, weren't the "US West 1," "US West 2" etc. listings the servers that the games were hosted on?

karasu

Why can't the hosting thing be handled like T5DR? That game doesn't skip a beat when the host leaves the room.

Andokuky

Banned
botkiller said:
This confuses me. During the 2+ years that I spent playing SOCOM, I never once had a game end or pause while the "host" left. Also, weren't the "US West 1," "US West 2" etc. listings the servers that the games were hosted on?

The lobby lists were hosted on servers. Once the game begins, a host is determined and that user hosts the game. When/if he leaves, host moves to the next user on the list instantly. Very rarely was there even a pause in the gameplay.

Frillen

raYne said:
Well, they've done a bunch of updates. At least 2, but maybe 3 by now. Adding/improving:

-Weapon accuracy.
-Weapon balance.
-Added new kill cams.
-Tweaked matchmaking and host selection.
-Improved network performance in general.
-Added a lot of new spawn points in the old maps.
-Host migration.
-Tweaked gamemode stuff like adding unlimited sprint and higher clip capacity in "Old School" mode
-New control scheme.
-3rd person spectator cam.
-Better player mute option.
-General game fixes.

etc etc etc.

They've added a lot of things. That's why I'm asking if you mean something specific? Of course there were also improvements from the Beta to the retail. Because that was the point of the Beta :p. And of course, being a Beta, there are much more stuff (maps/weapons/perks/ranks/singleplayer lol) in the retail.

They also added a 1 second bullet lag :(

DuckRacer

Strider2K99 said:
What are these weapons balances? And also, is double EXP still on?
They tweaked the sniper rifles' scopes and the ACOGs, and nerfed the running speed you get with the P90.

And the double XP thing is still going on.

I don't think there is any reason why we shouldn't be able to run personal dedicated servers on consoles. It should be rather simple, just like PC. I think it just takes an open mind perhaps.

roosters93 said:
How do you know if you are the host?

Well, you'll have 4 bars..... and they game will feel almost like you're playing on Hardcore while everyone else is still stuck on normal. I dunno, there's nothing definite I guess, but if you notice people shooting to the left or right of you a lot well chances are you're host.

Mmm, I thought a great connection would be one sign.
I always have a shit connection unless a fellow Aussie is a host.
Not lagging, but always yellow bars at best.

I hate when you shoot at someone, nothing happens and then they turn around and kill you. :(
Lag sucks.

PedroLumpy said:
Well, you'll have 4 bars..... and they game will feel almost like you're playing on Hardcore while everyone else is still stuck on normal. I dunno, there's nothing definite I guess, but if you notice people shooting to the left or right of you a lot well chances are you're host.
I always notice I'm host because when I get frustrated and quit the game says that the Host ended the match instead of just me leaving.

Geoff9920

roosters93 said:
How do you know if you are the host?
When the match begins look at the bottom left. If you appear first and the text has everyone else's names as "soandso43 has connected" and doesn't list you then you're the host.

If you're still having trouble working out the routes on the maps then I'd highly recommend playing a load of objective games. Domination especially has well chosen spots that teach you the prime battlegrounds on each map quickly. I was getting royally shagged on them just playing Deathmatch the first day, but a few games of objective saw me back up to a respectable, absolutely average, score.

Headquarters on Creek can be absolute carnage too. If the HQ is the cave then it turns into the Battle of the Somme as wave after wave of men throw themselves into a storm of grenades. I think our entire team on one match died about 5 times each trying to destroy that HQ spot. It's great.

Top Bottom