• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

borsdy

Banned
How likely will the new maps turn up in rotation? Apparently, it only happens if everyone on the server has them. So they'll be grouped closer during matchmaking or something?

How well is the map pack selling anyway? Practically all the people I seen in 'em were lvl 55-ers grinding for points and headshots...

borsdy said:
How well is the map pack selling anyway? Practically all the people I seen in 'em were lvl 55-ers grinding for points and headshots...

I've seen quite a few non-prestige lvl 10-30 players, but maybe its because my buddy just got the GOTY edition and I party up with him. He just hit lvl 33.

borsdy said:

Well there was always about 20,000 people If I remember correctly last time I played in the Variety Death Match playlist.

It was also nice to play with generally better players on average I noticed in the variety playlists.

DuckRacer

borsdy said:
There were like 70,000 people in the three Variety modes this weekend... so probably a shitload (obviously).

maps seem to be coming up quite a bit in matchingmaking. I was just playing some ground war. Played around 7 matches, each of the 3 maps came up once.

Man, I was looking to play a match on Vacant, and got sent into the same game (on Wet Work) 5 times in a row. You know, I miss server lists. It was nice being able to choose a particular map if you wanted, as well as knowing your ping beforehand.

And another thing! Why do we just get bars for connection speed these days? Why not just show us our ping?

raYne

Killhouse is terrible in FFA. Random grenades FTW! As a matter a fact, I can't name a mode that it'd actually be good in.. heh. Silenced anything is the way to go though. People will just run right past you because of all the chaos.

As expected, I've yet to see someone make it to the top of the tower. :lol

Played a bunch of FFA and Team modes on the new and old maps. Chinatown is still ridiculously chaotic compared to all the other maps in the game. Save for your Shipments, Killhouses and Wet Works of course.

PedroLumpy said:
And another thing! Why do we just get bars for connection speed these days? Why not just show us our ping?
Because colored bars are easier for the casuals to figure out, compared to numbers.

Red = "bad". Green = "good".
15ms "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!

raYne said:
Killhouse is terrible in FFA. Random grenades FTW! As a matter a fact, I can't name a mode that it'd actually be good in.. heh. Silenced anything is the way to go though. People will just run right past you because of all the chaos.

I'm surprised Killhouse made it into the Free for All playlist, there's no way that can support 8 players I would think. I imagine it would be alright for team tactical, but I haven't played it yet.

raYne

PedroLumpy said:
I'm surprised Killhouse made it into the Free for All playlist, there's no way that can support 8 players I would think. I imagine it would be alright for team tactical, but I haven't played it yet.
You literally spawn 3 feet away from someone 98% of the time you spawn. Meaning you don't evern have to bother running around and can rack up kills with one hand.

Andokuky

Banned
Man how do people stomach playing TDM extensively? The spawn system is so fucked up. I've become a S&D guy and now that I'm prestige 10 I'll dip into TDM every now and again to rack up kills on certain weapons and it's ridiculous every single time. Especially on the new maps. Played Chinatown a second ago and holy shit.

USD

Andokuky said:
Man how do people stomach playing TDM extensively? The spawn system is so fucked up. I've become a S&D guy and now that I'm prestige 10 I'll dip into TDM every now and again to rack up kills on certain weapons and it's ridiculous every single time. Especially on the new maps. Played Chinatown a second ago and holy shit.
I don't have many problems with the older maps since they added more spawns, but the spawns on the new maps are worse than the old ones ever were.

pj

Banned
I might be imagining things, but I think the game has a problem with host advantage. I'm able to monitor how much upload my 360 is using, so I know when I'm the host. Every time I was host last night, I had >20 kills. People died so fast it was like playing hardcore

Andokuky

Banned
I'm beginning to think that too. Last night I was in a TDM game and only one dude had a full ping so I just assume he was host and every time the dude killed me it was one of those WTF moments where I unload a full clip at him and then the kill cam shows he runs by me and I basically sit there while he blasts me :lol One time I run up on him on District, I shoot an M203 at him, hit him, have time to reload another one, hit him again, he doesn't die even without juggernaut on. He proceeds to blast me and the cam doesn't show either of my 203 shots :lol

It's very rare to see something like that though. Nothing like Gears of Host Advantage.

ElyrionX

Andokuky said:

S&D is a goddamn camper whorefest and sitting around for 5 to 10 minutes if you die early in the round is lame. What's even more lame is watching one idiot on each team camping their asses off when they're the only ones left on the map. Thanks but no thanks, I've already had my fill of CS eight years ago.

knee

PacoDG said:
cod4reviewheader1.jpg

I before E except after C. :D

Decent review, even though I'll be buying the maps anyway.

Atilac

borsdy said:
How likely will the new maps turn up in rotation? Apparently, it only happens if everyone on the server has them. So they'll be grouped closer during matchmaking or something?

When I downloaded it at about 10am est on release day, there where about 100k people on, spread between the then 2 servers. I'd say the odds and the force are with you

Mr.City

I picked this game a few days ago for the PC and can't wait to jump in. This is probably a stupid question, but does the PC version get the new maps as well?

ElyrionX

I don't get what people like about Hardcore and I don't understand the mode at all. You die so quickly in that mode and it's really all a matter of who spots who first. I know it is about playing intelligently and making your way around the map in the right way but the gameplay is too slow for me. I can appreciate the lack of radar and hip firing cross hair but the low health just kills it for me. Snipers have absolutely no chance in that mode because you die so quickly as soon as someone spots you regardless of what weapon they're holding.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ElyrionX said:
I don't get what people like about Hardcore and I don't understand the mode at all. You die so quickly in that mode and it's really all a matter of who spots who first. I know it is about playing intelligently and making your way around the map in the right way but the gameplay is too slow for me. I can appreciate the lack of radar and hip firing cross hair but the low health just kills it for me. Snipers have absolutely no chance in that mode because you die so quickly as soon as someone spots you regardless of what weapon they're holding.

Just like real life!!!

PacoDG

ElyrionX said:

Interesting. I hate 'hardcore' mode for a different reason... because snipers have too much of a chance. As soon as you die, you don't get to watch a 'killscreen' and never find out where that sniper is, thus he will get at least enough kills in for an airstrike before being found.

My friends enjoy hardcore, and I'll play it sometimes, but I agree that it takes no skill and I like some type of strategy in games (thus I end up avoiding deathmatch's too, always sabatage, search & destroy, with the occasional domination mixed in)

SonnyBoy

raYne said:
In real life, people don't die in you wing them in the ankle with a single bullet. ;)

Dude, when we were playing last night I was thinking that it'd be awesome if the game was like army dodge ball. Ok, ok...bear with me for a second. :lol :lol If I knife you and miss but catch your arm, you may still kill me but that arm of yours is useless now. So now all you have is a pistol. Yeah, that'd be pretty lame. :lol

PacoDG

SonnyBoy said:
If I knife you and miss but catch your arm, you may still kill me but that arm of yours is useless now. So now all you have is a pistol. Yeah, that'd be pretty lame. :lol

(I hope I wasn't the only person who thought of this game when reading your post)

raYne

SonnyBoy said:
Dude, when we were playing last night I was thinking that it'd be awesome if the game was like army dodge ball. Ok, ok...bear with me for a second. :lol :lol If I knife you and miss but catch your arm, you may still kill me but that arm of yours is useless now. So now all you have is a pistol. Yeah, that'd be pretty lame. :lol
I'm sure you had a lot of time to think about that, what with all that knifing I saw you doing all over the place. Sonnyboy = Stealth ninja confirmed. :D

I get what you're saying. It'd actually be a great mode/game if you can shoot someone in the arm, making it useless. So now they'd automatically to swap to a variant of "hip firing" because of it. That, or pull out their sidearm. Even better, you shoot someone in the leg and they're either downed, yet can still crawl around. Or they limp in a stunned/flashbanged-ish speed.

THAT's Hardcore. Not a shitty, shot you in the boot, so you die.. Mode.

Just to follow up on what you said, COD6 needs knife clashes and counters. :D :lol

edit:
Oh, finally went back to the SMGs like I said I was going to. I forgot how much I <3 silenced MP5s. Chinatown just got real... 37-5 in one of my last TDM matches last night. :O

Treo360

ElyrionX said:

Sorry but I loves me the Hardcore. With regular TDM there is no penalty for shooting through your teammate or bombing the hell out of them. People tend to run around and come at you in waves, rinse and repeat. Having to shoot someone with a .50 cal more than once (chest region) is absurd (have a problem with ankle shots? Persons have died from seemingly lesser injuries)

Hardcore alleviates all that nonsense, although I wish they had an even better version of HC, one that eliminates a great many perks. UAV's that don't distinguish from Friend or Foe and if you're indoors or stationary, a true cover system that isn't cheap. Get rid of the Helo's in favor of Artillary/Precision strikes. Perhaps in COD 6 or 8 eh?

SonnyBoy

raYne said:
Oh, finally went back to the SMGs like I said I was going to. I forgot how much I <3 silenced MP5s. Chinatown just got real... 37-5 in one of my last TDM matches last night. :O

BS unless you've gon prestige!! It means nothing.

BTW, I'll be on tonite around the same time as yesterday. We shall win massive amounts of games as we typically do.

raYne

SonnyBoy said:
BS unless you've gon prestige!! It means nothing.

BTW, I'll be on tonite around the same time as yesterday. We shall win massive amounts of games as we typically do.
rofl :lol

I was in a group of level 3+ prestigers in FFA after you left. After the first few matches, (my victories of course), they'd ask if I, "had enough points to go Prestige yet?". I didn't answer... Then 5 games in, still all victories, they go, "Ok, I know you have enough to go Prestige now!"

Hilarious.

Anyway, yeah.. I'll probably be on then. If not, just head on and I'll probably see you online and catch up with ya.

daw840

raYne said:
rofl :lol

I was in a group of level 3+ prestigers in FFA after you left. After the first few matches, (my victories of course), they'd ask if I, "had enough points to go Prestige yet?". I didn't answer... Then 5 games in, still all victories, they go, "Ok, I know you have enough to go Prestige now!"

Hilarious.

Anyway, yeah.. I'll probably be on then. If not, just head on and I'll probably see you online and catch up with ya.

Currently on my 5th prestige, and I kind of wish I would have never started doing that:lol

I definitely would have all the gold guns by now if I wouldn't have prestiged. Oh well, gotta keep doing it now i guess

SonnyBoy

daw840 said:
I definitely would have all the gold guns by now if I wouldn't have prestiged. Oh well, gotta keep doing it now i guess

All the gold guns? There is more than one? I only have the gold desert eagle? How do you obtain the rest?

raYne

SonnyBoy said:
All the gold guns? There is more than one? I only have the gold desert eagle? How do you obtain the rest?
Max out the challenges for each weapon category. For example, if you max out all the Assault Rifle challenges, you get a gold AK47.

There's only one gold weapon per category.

Socreges

Banned
i'm really getting into S&D now. i had a round last time i played on broadcast where i had 11 kills and 1 death, defused a bomb twice, and destroyed their target, too. i was up for a MASSIVE bonus (still double XP at this point) and the connection began fucking up just before the game ended. ended up with nothing. i had never played close to that well before. :(

raYne said:
Max out the challenges for each weapon category. For example, if you max out all the Assault Rifle challenges, you get a gold AK47.

There's only one gold weapon per category.
i saw someone with a killer gold shotgun. so all he had to do was max out those two weapons in barracks?

Rayme

Playing Hardcore with a party is a drastically different experience than playing with randoms.

Hardcore, teamed up with my friends, is some of the most fun I've had on CoD4 (and for my biased self, that's saying a lot).

But hardcore solo was a world of pain and misery for me. Sometimes I get put in with a bunch of other randoms and we do mesh well, but often... no coordination, no communication, little regard for shooting through your friends... le sad.

...come to think of it, a hardcore 3-on-3 (TDM, S&D, ...etc?) playlist would be heaven for me.

NekoFever

raYne said:
Killhouse is terrible in FFA. Random grenades FTW! As a matter a fact, I can't name a mode that it'd actually be good in.. heh.
I played it 1v1 against a friend and it was pretty good like that. If it's not in the Ground War playlist I won't be playing it regularly anyway.

Andokuky

Banned
ElyrionX said:
S&D is a goddamn camper whorefest and sitting around for 5 to 10 minutes if you die early in the round is lame. What's even more lame is watching one idiot on each team camping their asses off when they're the only ones left on the map. Thanks but no thanks, I've already had my fill of CS eight years ago.

Rounds don't last 5 to 10 minutes. And you can fix that by not dying early. Camping isn't really possible in S&D. Your objective is to set up a defense to prevent planting of the bomb. If they turn off no respawns you're just left with deatchmatch with a bomb aspect tacked on. Oh wait it's in the game already, Sabotage :lol

Socreges

Banned
alright i'm definitely not going to my second prestige then. once i get to 55 i'm sticking there until there's nothing left to acquire!

raYne

Rayme said:
...come to think of it, a hardcore 3-on-3 (TDM, S&D, ...etc?) playlist would be heaven for me.
That actually makes a lot of sense. It'll certainly make it more tolerable than it is at the moment.

Make it happen. :D

ElyrionX said:

Here are a few things I love about Hardcore:

* Juggernaut and Stopping Power perks are useless. Everyone has the same amount of health and everyone's bullets do the same amount of damage. It's an even playing field from the start of the match

* No killcam. That's the whole point of sniping, to find a good spot and wait for your prey so you can hit them with precise timing. Killcam is a crutch that too many fall back on IMO. It doesn't take that much skill to learn where you got killed from and if you don't know, then that player deserves to keep his spot since he is smarter in that situation.

* I shoot you, you die. None of this silly shit where you get sniped dead center in your chest then just walk away without a scratch.

* No grenade icons. Again, I see this as a crutch. You can hear the grenade land at your feet so you know that they are there. When you do, run. It makes you use your other senses when fighting.

* Friendly fire is on. No spray and pray with guns. You need to know where your shooting and make your shots count. None of this random grenade spam crap since you more than likely will kill your teammates if you do this.

* No instant respawn after dying. You get a penalty for dying where you must sit out for a few minutes and think about what you did and you should. The way around this... stop dying so much.

* No Radar. I'm sick of people who stare at the radar when they play then camp and wait for me to turn a corner so they can kill me ONLY because they saw my dot on the screen. In hardcore, getting your radar on screen is a huge deal. Radar should be a privilege, not a right.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me but these are why I personally love Hardcore. It feels way more intense when playing in this mode, like I always need to be sharp and on top of my game and my friends and I like that. We've gotten to the point where we won't play anything but Hardcore.

raYne

OldJadedGamer said:
* No killcam.
* No grenade icons.
* Friendly fire is on.
* No instant respawn.
* No Radar.
If they put these in a single non-Hardcore gamemode, it'd end up being my favorite of the bunch.

That single bullet stuff annoys me to no end, so I just can't take that mode seriously.

PacoDG

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm sure many people will disagree with me but these are why I personally love Hardcore. It feels way more intense when playing in this mode, like I always need to be sharp and on top of my game and my friends and I like that. We've gotten to the point where we won't play anything but Hardcore.

Other than the health being so low that everything is instantkill, I agree with nearly all your points on why hardcore has its good side.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am going to buy the maps tomorrow after I get a 1600 points card (like hell I am giving them my CC). How common is the maps to appear in the rotation?

Also! In what else should I waste the 800 points? Recommend anything.... except more DLC =P

raYne

Relix said:
I am going to buy the maps tomorrow after I get a 1600 points card (like hell I am giving them my CC). How common is the maps to appear in the rotation?
Seemed fairly common, but that's dependent on what mode you play. Team modes, for example, seemed to have a much higher chance.

Also! In what else should I waste the 800 points? Recommend anything.... except more DLC =P
Nothing. I had 1400 points in my Live "account" for over a year before I bought the maps. Just keep the extra for when something good comes out.

Top Bottom