• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

neoism

WOW I just wasted 800 points to play the new maps for less than a week!
Why take the variety map pack hopper off WHY???????????????

PacoDG said:
Other than the health being so low that everything is instantkill, I agree with nearly all your points on why hardcore has its good side.

I've always wished there was something between hardcore and regular team deathmatch (which I know that is what custom games are for but lets get real)

I always thought regular team DM needed a little tuning to make it just a little bit less frenetic.

Rayme

neoism said:
No, no, don't sweat it. The new maps are there, they're just integrated in with the original ones. You'll see them a lot. Last weekend, the maps were super-brand-new, so of course we wanted a few playlists that were new-hotness-only. But six days of that was enough, you don't want people to start resenting them. =)

The new maps will still come up a lot, if you've got them, don't worry.

I'm confused how the new integrated maps work. Does every one have them now or does the game only pit you with people who have the maps if you have them or does it do a check in the lobby to see if everybody has them and then pick a map based on that?

Stoney Mason said:
I'm confused how the new integrated maps work. Does every one have them now or does the game only pit you with people who have the maps if you have them or does it do a check in the lobby to see if everybody has them and then pick a map based on that?

If you have them, then you play against other people that have them. You don't play against people that don't have them, unless you disable/delete them. Unkay?

suEcide

I have a question regarding claymores:

I know teammates are absolved from being injured by your own personal claymores but after a short period of time, it seems that I can become a victim to my very own claymore. For example, I'll strategically place some claymores around my generally vicinity if I decide I want to plunk down and snipe...after a minute or two if I come within the realm of my claymores they explode and it is considered a suicide on my behalf.

Is this a glitch or intentional?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
suEcide said:

I know teammates are absolved from being injured by your own personal claymores but after a short period of time, it seems that I can become a victim to my very own claymore. For example, I'll strategically place some claymores around my generally vicinity if I decide I want to plunk down and snipe...after a minute or two if I come within the realm of my claymores they explode and it is considered a suicide on my behalf.

As a frequent claymore user, this is not the case. If this happens, it's because an enemy got close and set it off. You cant' set your own claymore off.

At least this was the case last time I played, which was a month or so ago.

suEcide said:

If an enemy trips them, you can be harmed by your own claymores, just like you can blow up youself (but not teammates) with grenades.

suEcide

ThirstyFly said:
If an enemy trips them, you can be harmed by your own claymores, just like you can blow up youself (but not teammates) with grenades.

I know. But no one is around and I trip them myself. I hear that clicking noise and it's all over.

suEcide

commish said:
As a frequent claymore user, this is not the case. If this happens, it's because an enemy got close and set it off. You cant' set your own claymore off.

At least this was the case last time I played, which was a month or so ago.

Like I said, I'm 100% certain that no one is around when they go off. I can be in an empty hallway and run past one of my claymores and boom. It happens sporadically.

suEcide said:
Like I said, I'm 100% certain that no one is around when they go off. I can be in an empty hallway and run past one of my claymores and boom. It happens sporadically.

Ive been killed by mine, but like was stated, only after someone else trips it. What is the kill icon show when you die like this?

raYne

suEcide said:
I know. But no one is around and I trip them myself. I hear that clicking noise and it's all over.
It's not possible to set off your own claymore by tripping it. It just isn't.

How do you know there isn't anyone around? People could've been using any of the stealth perks such as Dead Silience and the UAV Jammer. Tripped the sensor, but be far enough that they survived. Or they could've just been seeing them (via bomb detector or normal vision) and detonating them by using gunfire.

I always just shoot them to blow them up whenever I see them. It stops them from getting free kills off of people who aren't paying attention. If the guys close enough to be killed by his own explosion, good for me. If he dies, he dies... :D

One really fun thing to do is: After finding one guarding a camper's spot, I'll wait 'till a nearby exposion goes off, or make my own via distracting grenade and trip the claymore myself via silenced sidearm. That way, the grenade explosion masks the claymore's explosion and the silenced gunfire prevents the gunshot from showing up on radar. The I just run in and kill them.

It'll leave them wondering WTF just happened and better yet, a lot of times they'll actually say, "How the hell did you get passed my claymore?!" :lol

edit:
As a matter a fact, you do know that the explosion is directed towards the cone that the beams make right? As in, towards the direction you're looking when you set the claymore? Why are you even in that direction at all? Seems like a pretty inefficient trap setup to me.

suEcide

raYne said:
As a matter a fact, you do know that the explosion is directed towards the cone that the beams make right? As in, towards the direction you're looking when you set the claymore? Why are you even in that direction at all? Seems like a pretty inefficient trap setup to me.

Considering I've been playing the game since its release and have been through 5 prestige modes it's safe to say I am rather keen on using claymores and how to utilize them to their fullest potential. I run by them sometimes straight into the beamed area as I have to backtrack to my prior position.

I don't think I'll get any resolution on this matter. I still contend that no one is around when they're tripped but so be it.

suEcide said:
I don't think I'll get any resolution on this matter. I still contend that no one is around when they're tripped but so be it.

Just setup a private match with you as the only player then. Set a few claymores down, run around the map for a bit, return to them and see what happens.

USD

Is it me, or is getting headshots when shooting from the hip way too easy? I'm usually using the G3, never using steady aim, but in at least half of my 15-20 feet range fights, I got headshots, even though I don't even feel like I'm aiming particularly high or going for the head.

raYne

USD said:
Is it me, or is getting headshots when shooting from the hip way too easy? I'm usually using the G3, never using steady aim, but in at least half of my 15-20 feet range fights, I got headshots, even though I don't even feel like I'm aim particularly high or going for the head.
Not that weird.. The kickback drives your aim upwards. There are plenty of guns where if you aim center mass (ironsighted or otherwise) there's still a good chance for a headshot because of it.

Steady aim would actually lower the chance of the getting the headshot when aiming from the hip in the same circumstances. Since it'd keep the bullets closer grouped towards the crosshair and not have them stray as much.

Andokuky

Banned
USD said:
Is it me, or is getting headshots when shooting from the hip way too easy? I'm usually using the G3, never using steady aim, but in at least half of my 15-20 feet range fights, I got headshots, even though I don't even feel like I'm aim particularly high or going for the head.

Head shots seem totally random with anything other than a sniper rifle. Sometimes I sneak up on someone and aim directly for the head and put a bullet right in it and I get no head shot. Then I'll aim a shotgun at someones chest and ping! Head shot.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I got the maps.

Creek is awesome, too many snipers though. Hate the draw in though... but all for the 60FPS!

Chinatown is a fucking mess. It's based on a COD2 map right? It looked very similar to one, can't remember the name (Carentan?).

Only two I have been able to play. There are not too common in rotation I think =(.

raYne

Andokuky said:
Head shots seem totally random with anything other than a sniper rifle. Sometimes I sneak up on someone and aim directly for the head and put a bullet right in it and I get no head shot. Then I'll aim a shotgun at someones chest and ping! Head shot.
The only weapons with which you can get a one bullet headshot kill on a non-damaged target are the snipers or a M14. Everything else takes at least two. Plus, the hitbox in the back of the head is a little off anyway. So you usually have to aim higher than you think for it to register as a headshot.

..and a shotgun is a shotgun. You shouldn't be surprised of "random" headshots because of the kick and the spread.

Relix said:
I got the maps.

Creek is awesome, too many snipers though. Hate the draw in though... but all for the 60FPS!

Chinatown is a fucking mess. It's based on a COD2 map right? It looked very similar to one, can't remember the name (Carentan?).
Right.

Only two I have been able to play. There are not too common in rotation I think =(.
Believe me, you don't want to play Killhouse, but Broadcast comes up all the time in TDM. Well, for me anyway.

Andokuky

Banned
raYne said:
The only weapons with which you can get a one bullet headshot kill on a non-damaged target are the snipers or a M14. Everything else takes at least two. Plus, the hitbox in the back of the head is a little off anyway. So you usually have to aim higher than you think for it to register as a headshot.

..and a shotgun is a shotgun. You shouldn't be surprised of "random" headshots because of the kick and the spread.

Ok, so what about when I put two bullets into someones head at point blank range and still get no head shot? Or even times when I use a sniper rifle and have all day to line up a head shot and don't get one? And I know the shotgun has spread but not at all ranges. The whole hit box is off. Collision detection in the game is great but the game sucks ass at registering head shots.

raYne

Andokuky said:
Ok, so what about when I put two bullets into someones head at point blank range and still get no head shot? Or even times when I use a sniper rifle and have all day to line up a head shot and don't get one? And I know the shotgun has spread but not at all ranges. The whole hit box is off. Collision detection in the game is great but the game sucks ass at registering head shots.
Uh.. I already said you need more than one bullet for a headshot unless you use a sniper or the M14. Meaning, point blank as well. If you need more than two bullets that's determined by the weapon damage value.

Sniper scopes aren't laser accurate, so misses happen. It could've been anything from the bullet just being off, to you not being in the correct breathing range at the time, to lag.

The shotgun has spread at all ranges.. That's why it's a shotgun. ;) Even then, the cone isn't 100% predictable no matter the range. And as I said, it's spread and kickback.

raYne said:
Plus, the hitbox in the back of the head is a little off anyway. So you usually have to aim higher than you think for it to register as a headshot.

This is very true. Aim for the top of the head if you sneak up behind a camper to make sure you get the headshot.

Anyone think Backlot is a little uneven off the start? The marines have a straight run at the center yard in the map since they can cut through the building in front of them. They can also jump on the dumpster there to either shoot people, get into the building, or cut completely across the center of the map. OpFor has none of these options. Even with Extreme conditioning, a marine can beat you to the center yard (without extreme conditioning). It 's the dumpster that really gets me, If you run straight for that, you can be behind the enemy in no time.

Andokuky

Banned
raYne said:
Uh.. I already said you need more than one bullet for a headshot unless you use a sniper or the M14. Meaning, point blank as well. If you need more than two bullets that's determined by the weapon damage value.

Sniper scopes aren't laser accurate, so misses happen. It could've been anything from the bullet just being off, to you not being in the correct breathing range at the time, to lag.

The shotgun has spread at all ranges.. That's why it's a shotgun. ;) Even then, the cone isn't 100% predictable no matter the range. And as I said, it's spread and kickback.

Which is why I said what about when I use two bullets and kill someone but it isn't a head shot. And I've killed people with one M16 head shot or one G3 head shot and not gotten credit for a head shot. I have seen the damage graphs, I know it takes more than one bullet from most weapons to kill someone even when you "hit" the head but when I fire one time at point blank range to their head and they die, I should be credited with a head shot and a lot of the time it simply doesn't happen.

Yeah misses happen with sniper rifles and it could be any of those things you mentioned but it shouldn't happen as often as it does. Countless other online shooters register head shots far better than CoD4 does.

Shotgun has spread at all ranges but my point was it doesn't have enough spread at closer distances to get a headshot when I am aiming at the dudes chest and only fire once. I am talking very close range, go fire the W1200 in the game at closer ranges at a wall or something and tell me there is wide spread, there isn't.

The game has few flaws but all I was saying to the guy who had a question about head shots is to not bother worrying about them because bullets registering in the correct hit spot is one of the games few flaws.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Andokuky said:
The game has few flaws but all I was saying to the guy who had a question about head shots is to not bother worrying about them because bullets registering in the correct hit spot is one of the games few flaws.
It's even worse when you get to the position we're in Ando, now going for the golden guns. It almost drives you to boost if you cared enough for one.

Lucky for me every gun that is golden, I suck dick with. (excluding the shotty)

USD

I wish there was a death cam. Not to be a narcissist or anything, but sometimes I want to see what it's like to be killed by me.

The Variety Pack playlists seem to have disappeared and I am seeing the new maps quite regularly in all the other playlists. It seems that they have been integrated, like promised.

However, this leads to the next question. Has the community been split in half now? Have map pack owners and non-map pack owners been separated?

USD

PjotrStroganov said:
The Variety Pack playlists seem to have disappeared and I am seeing the new maps quite regularly in all the other playlists. It seems that they have been integrated, like promised.

However, this leads to the next question. Has the community been split in half now? Have map pack owners and non-map pack owners been separated?
Not really. You still have people with and without the map pack mixed together. But from what I've heard other people say (can't confirm myself), if a new map does pop up in the rotation, you get kicked out of the lobbyif you don't have the map pack.

raYne

USD said:
I wish there was a death cam. Not to be a narcissist or anything, but sometimes I want to see what it's like to be killed by me.
:lol You don't know how many times I've imagined the same thing:

-After a well timed grenade that kills 3+ people.
-A sniper headshot on a running target just before he reaches safety.
-Tossing a live grenade that pops the guy in the head and kills him before the explosion even happens.
-A 15 second string of events where you somehow end up killing four people with your main weapon, two guys with your sidearm and grab a shotty off the floor and kill another guy in mid-air.

I've said it a long time ago, but this game needed a Halo 3-esque theater mode. Make it happen in COD6 IW.. I believe in you!

USD said:
Not really. You still have people with and without the map pack mixed together. But from what I've heard other people say (can't confirm myself), if a new map does pop up in the rotation, you get kicked out of the lobbyif you don't have the map pack.
I've "heard" the same. I haven't played with anyone I know that doesn't own the map pack, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. The only thing I have to go by is, one time some guy came in a room just before a match on Chinatown started. He said, "Oh I don't have this map" and just left. *shrug*

daw840

I have just one question about these new maps. If shipment can be rotated into headquarters, domination, and sabotage why the hell can't killhouse be in there. I know a lot of people don't like shipment, but it's a great way to run up a lot of kills. I have played some tactical, but I never get killhouse :(

I played on Xbox Live, for the first time.

I... I like this more than Halo 3? (Don't get me wrong, I still like Halo 3.)

USD said:
When I was playing, I was thinking how sweet it would be if we had a Theater Mode, similar to Halo 3's.

daw840

U K Narayan said:
I played on Xbox Live, for the first time.

I... I like this more than Halo 3? (Don't get me wrong, I still like Halo 3.)

When I was playing, I was thinking how sweet it would be if we had a Theater Mode, similar to Halo 3's.

I have played Halo 3 twice since COD4 came out. COD4 is waaayyy better.

daw840 said:
I have played Halo 3 twice since COD4 came out. COD4 is waaayyy better.
The thing for me is -- I've played Halo 3 online, a lot. I've played Call of Duty 4 online for about 20-minutes, and I think it's better!

Huh.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
neoism said:
Yeah, I don't even play the game but I've had numerous people on my friends list complaining about this.

One even thought it meant that the maps were free already. :lol

ElyrionX

I've been playing more Hardcore and I can see what's good about it. I just can't stand the low health part of it. You die so quickly that ping seems to matter so much more.

raYne

ElyrionX said:
I've been playing more Hardcore and I can see what's good about it. I just can't stand the low health part of it. You die so quickly that ping seems to matter so much more.
Exactly.

U K Narayan said:
The thing for me is -- I've played Halo 3 online, a lot. I've played Call of Duty 4 online for about 20-minutes, and I think it's better!

Huh.
Welcome to the club.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
IW bring the Variety Playlist back! I am sucking at Chinatown and Creek, need to practice more dammit. Creek especially is getting on my nerves, so many snipers it kills the fun. Chinatown's nighttime and with 12 players makes me crazy. I know Carentan by heart, but seeing everything so changed and with more people disorientates me.

USD said:

Well that's seems like a pretty decent solution. It must factor in how many of the people have the new maps in the lobby I guess. I should try some other playlists and see if the new maps show up and I get booted. I don't think the Halo system was ideal since everyone had to have the maps, but at least they kept the DLC playlists. Assuming new maps show up in the same proportion as the old maps, players without the map pack shouldn't get booted too much.

And I wish there was a theater mode for COD as well. I'm so much better at COD than Halo, I would have way more highlights to look at.

Kuran

Banned
I almost convinced my girlfriend to name her cat explodingcar!

edit: yes! she named it explodingcar!

edit: meet explodingcar, or lodi in short!

2mo5swo.jpg

Roxas

I was playing some MP last night, Team Deathmatch i think it was, and as soon as the game started, the enemy team called an airstrike. The score was 0-0. Is this some special perk you get at lvl 55, or just some cheating douchebag?

Beezy

I didn't know that the maps were put in normal rotation already. Thank god. Now I can play Domination or Headquarters matches all day without having to worry about being dragged into a shitty Search and Destroy match. :D

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Beezy said:
I didn't know that the maps were put in normal rotation already. Thank god. Now I can play Domination or Headquarters matches all day without having to worry about being dragged into a shitty Search and Destroy match. :D
*sigh*

daw840

Roxas said:
I was playing some MP last night, Team Deathmatch i think it was, and as soon as the game started, the enemy team called an airstrike. The score was 0-0. Is this some special perk you get at lvl 55, or just some cheating douchebag?

Sounds to me like a cheating douchebag. I have only seen that happen once or twice. It might just be a glitch, or he is actively cheating. IDK.

ElyrionX

Does anybody seriously enjoy the low health part of Hardcore? I mean, sure, go ahead and make sniper rifles one shot one kill but don't make it so easy for someone wielding a SMG or even an assault rifle.

ElyrionX said:
Does anybody seriously enjoy the low health part of Hardcore? I mean, sure, go ahead and make sniper rifles one shot one kill but don't make it so easy for someone wielding a SMG or even an assault rifle.
The point of Hardcore mode is to be more realistic and just one gunshot to your body with even the weakest weapon will incapacitate you in real life.
Getting sprayed with an MP5 will and should drop you.

raYne

ElyrionX said:
Crazy people exist, so yes.

blindrocket said:
The point of Hardcore mode is to be more realistic and just one gunshot to your body with even the weakest weapon will incapacitate you in real life.
Getting sprayed with an MP5 will and should drop you.
*cough*bootshot*cough*

Rayme

raYne said:
*cough*bootshot*cough*
Hahah; yeah. But you know what he (and others) are getting at, I think.

For me, it's that you're so fragile, but so are they. Margin of error is very tiny. And yeah, if someone flanks you, you're very fucked, but that's kind of the point. Maneuvering and communicating and playing the bigger picture. And a 5-10 sec respawn makes your life even more precious to you.

I can see how Hardcore just isn't for some people, that's totally valid. But for those of us that like it, it's not that we're masochists, honest. =)

The vibe of a Hardcore TDM match is really different from a Standard TDM, in my experience. I like it. Good variety, at least.

Top Bottom