• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

USD

So what exactly determines match bonus? I know a few things that factor in (current level, how long you were in the match), but for the most part it's just random XP for me. Is there some exact formula for it?

sullytao

Just got to Mile High on veteran. the thing that really makes this level hell for me on vet is the stupidest things like small suitcases and wall and door edges that completely stop you in your tracks for some unknown reason, stun not affecting everyone in the area even though they were clearly in the blast range and to top it all off the friendly a.i. likes to ignore enemies completely sometime even just walk right past them in some cases.

But I will finish it. I swear to god :D

ShowDog

Stoney Mason said:
My final word on the Hardcore versus regular is just different strokes. I can see why people enjoy both and they each have certain aspects to them that I like. For instance regular death match tends to have a pace and flow to it that spreads all over the map where as hardcore tends to take place in concentrated areas. It's all in what appeals to the type of player you are.

Whoa, I always felt the complete opposite way. The constant radar in regular team deathmatch seems to keep everyone concentrated in one area, constantly throwing their bodies at eachother in waves trying to rack up points lest they fall behind in kills. Hardcore gives you the freedom to run around and clean up kills in other ways since you don't really know where everyone is, at least that's been my experience. I still play reg. TD more often, but I like the change HC brings.

USD

Has anyone ever called in a double airstrike before? About 2 weeks ago, my brother and I were playing, rushing to see who could get their airstrike called in first. I guess we did it at the exact same time, because we had two sets of planes sweeping in from different directions. It was a pretty shitty airstrike (I got no kills, he got one), but I've never seen anything like it happen before. Just imagine the sheer ownage of dual helicopters... Ooohooh...

Roxas

the only thing i hate about Hardcore are those annoying dickwad team mates who find it amusing to run around gunning his own team mates down.

I accidently killed my own team mate last night (well, he ran straight infront of my firing line and i did apologise afterwards) and he made it his mission to chase me down throughout the rest of the game and kill me every chance he got. Completely ruined the game.

But when there isnt a guy like that in your team, Hardcore is definatly my favourite.

Quick question guys I bought CoD4 Game of the Year edition when I was in New York, just wondering how I can redeem the code, do I select my region as UK (Since I have an Irish Xbox Live Account) or America?

Has anyone used the token with a gamertag that isn't from the same region as the game was bought?

Roxas said:
the only thing i hate about Hardcore are those annoying dickwad team mates who find it amusing to run around gunning his own team mates down.

I accidently killed my own team mate last night (well, he ran straight infront of my firing line and i did apologise afterwards) and he made it his mission to chase me down throughout the rest of the game and kill me every chance he got. Completely ruined the game.

But when there isnt a guy like that in your team, Hardcore is definatly my favourite.

Part of the problem with hardcore is that there is always a few people who take it so seriously that it tends to sap my enjoyment out of the game. Of course that's what mute is for I suppose.

Very noob question... what's the matchmaking like on the 360 in getting players of equal skill level. I have the Steam version, but when I just join a server I get slaughtered. Is the 360 any better at matching players of the same level?

borsdy

Banned
njp142 said:
Very noob question... what's the matchmaking like on the 360 in getting players of equal skill level. I have the Steam version, but when I just join a server I get slaughtered. Is the 360 any better at matching players of the same level?
IIRC, IW has their own system on top of MS' trueskill matchmaking system.

njp142 said:

You have to play for a while for it to settle you in. I think the matchmaking is decent. I win somewhat less than half the time and my performance is generally average to just slightly above average.

Defcon

Banned
I just received the game from that Amazon deal today. Quick question. Is there any difference in playing the game in 1080p over 720p, because I can't really tell.

raYne

Defcon said:
I just received the game from that Amazon deal today. Quick question. Is there any difference in playing the game in 1080p over 720p, because I can't really tell.
Well then, no. ;)

zenbot

Defcon said:
If I remember correctly COD4 runs at 600p so it shouldn't make any difference.

Stoney Mason said:
You have to play for a while for it to settle you in. I think the matchmaking is decent. I win somewhat less than half the time and my performance is generally average to just slightly above average.

Yeah I agree, the matchmaking is pretty good. But I notice sometimes that REALLY good players will get put into matches with average players just because they are partied up with a n00b, so thats something to keep in mind.

borsdy

Banned
I have a question about partying, does it find a server based on the party leader's skill rank or the weakest link of everyone?

ShowDog

njp142 said:

I leveled a friends character from lvl 1 yesterday and I have to say it must do some sort of matchmaking by skill because I was destroying everyone we came across. I was just running around madly with the MP5, averaged about 30 kills and 15 deaths a game and set my record for longest streak with 21 kills, higher than my streak of 19 on my main account I have played on for over 100 hours. After about 1.5 hours of logged play I had gone 10-0 in wins and leveled him up to 13. And this was with no grenade perks or anything.

After all the punishment I've took, I think I've finally graduated from mediocre to a decent player now. My first month I'd get my ass kicked repeatedly. Getting 5 kills with 15 deaths would be a norm for me. But recently I've been able to either keep my Kill/Death ratio at 1:1 or better. I just had my best games in total kills and ratio today. I'm not great by any means but at least I'm not target practice anymore :D

I think the biggest thing that helped me was learning to keep my eyes on the map. It was like Resistance all over again for me.

KiKaL

After a night of drinking I woke up and walked to my computer to an amazon screen saying I had just purchased COD4. Deffinetly not the worst thing I have done under the influence. I had been jumping back and foruth on if I wanted to buy it sense I have been borrowing a friends copy for about 3 weeks. I think the alcohol must of helped push the decision to buy it.

daw840

KiKaL said:
After a night of drinking I woke up and walked to my computer to an amazon screen saying I had just purchased COD4. Deffinetly not the worst thing I have done under the influence. I had been jumping back and foruth on if I wanted to buy it sense I have been borrowing a friends copy for about 3 weeks. I think the alcohol must of helped push the decision to buy it.

I'm glad a drunk purchase worked for you.....My buddy, on the other hand, has EVERY girls gone wild video you can buy over the phone at one time.

USD

I have to say that Last Stand is by far the best Perk 3 in the game, hell, probably the best perk in the game (besides something ridiculously obvious like Stopping Power). There are just so things it does for you like no other perk.

Killing the guy who kills me (or killing his teammates). I like to think that when someone shoots me down but can't finish me off fast enough to save their teammate from my pistol, it's a massive victory for myself.

On that same note, picking up that UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter when a kill or two (or three) short. Can't do that with Martyrdom.

On the flip side, denying kills. I've saved myself a death many a time when the game ends because I'm dying but not dead yet.

As an extension of denying kills, potentially denying other people UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter, either by killing them outright or putting a 10 second delay for the kill, a chance for my other teammates to finish off the guy.

Pure distraction. Most people want that kill so badly, and to hold them for only for a few seconds is well worth it. At times, I've held up entire teams because everyone's scared to be the one to get shot. Everytime I make people stop in their tracks is a victory for me.

Pure shame. Getting killed by someone in Last Stand is as shameful to me as getting knifed in the back. Getting killed by someone in Last Stand and then losing the kill to a teammate is downright humiliating.

Teamwork. Last Stand works great when running with a teammate. If I get gunned down first, my opponent has to choose between finishing me off and hoping my teammate can't aim (usually the best choice, since most of my teammates are incompetent), or shooting my teammate and then me (usually what actually happens). In the latter situation, most of the time the guy ends up dead, either by the hand of my teammate or by a handful of pistol shots.

Glitches lol. If you get shot into Last Stand just before releasing a flash bang (I guess it works for stuns too), the flash will turn into a frag grenade that's been cooked for four seconds. Plus you can still throw grenades you were cooking when you fall. In really close quarters, I'll sometimes hold onto the grenade and turn it into a short fuse Martyrdom grenade. Nobody expects a a Last Stand guy to have a Martyrdom grenade.

Double Points. +80 points for an Airstrike? Delicious.

Last Stand isn't always successful, sometimes you get finished off before you can do much. And I swear people keep stun grenades just for killing people in Last Stand. But when it is sucessful, it's beautiful. Nothing feels better than countersniping (with a pistol no less) from halfway across the map.

USD said:
I have to say that Last Stand is by far the best Perk 3 in the game, hell, probably the best perk in the game (besides something ridiculously obvious like Stopping Power). There are just so things it does for you like no other perk.

Killing the guy who kills me (or killing his teammates). I like to think that when someone shoots me down but can't finish me off fast enough to save their teammate from my pistol, it's a massive victory for myself.

On that same note, picking up that UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter when a kill or two (or three) short. Can't do that with Martyrdom.

On the flip side, denying kills. I've saved myself a death many a time when the game ends because I'm dying but not dead yet.

As an extension of denying kills, potentially denying other people UAV/Airstrike/Helicopter, either by killing them outright or putting a 10 second delay for the kill, a chance for my other teammates to finish off the guy.

Pure distraction. Most people want that kill so badly, and to hold them for only for a few seconds is well worth it. At times, I've held up entire teams because everyone's scared to be the one to get shot. Everytime I make people stop in their tracks is a victory for me.

Pure shame. Getting killed by someone in Last Stand is as shameful to me as getting knifed in the back. Getting killed by someone in Last Stand and then losing the kill to a teammate is downright humiliating.

Teamwork. Last Stand works great when running with a teammate. If I get gunned down first, my opponent has to choose between finishing me off and hoping my teammate can't aim (usually the best choice, since most of my teammates are incompetent), or shooting my teammate and then me (usually what actually happens). In the latter situation, most of the time the guy ends up dead, either by the hand of my teammate or by a handful of pistol shots.

Glitches lol. If you get shot into Last Stand just before releasing a flash bang (I guess it works for stuns too), the flash will turn into a frag grenade that's been cooked for four seconds. Plus you can still throw grenades you were cooking when you fall. In really close quarters, I'll sometimes hold onto the grenade and turn it into a short fuse Martyrdom grenade. Nobody expects a a Last Stand guy to have a Martyrdom grenade.

Last Stand isn't always successful, sometimes you get finished off before you can do much. And I swear people keep stun grenades just for killing people in Last Stand. But when it is sucessful, it's beautiful. Nothing feels better than countersniping (with a pistol no less) from halfway across the map.

Everybody in this thread hates you.

(I don't mind last stand myself)

raYne

Stoney Mason said:
People definitely hate Martydom but there is a rather large contingent that hate last stand too.
*shrug* I've never seen it.

It's possible, but it'd be nowhere near the level of the other two.

raYne said:
*shrug* I've never seen it.

It's possible, but it'd be nowhere near the level of the other two.

There use to be a bunch of posts about it if you go back far enough in the thread. People hate the autoflip, the few moments of invulnerability, and the fact that you can hit people with rocket launchers or blow them up and they still go into last stand.

I definitely think some of the perks should be a little more conditional on when they kick in although I rarely get killled by someone in last stand.

Stoney Mason said:
People definitely hate Martydom but there is a rather large contingent that hate last stand too.

Martydom is the best perk every for HQ. I love running into a crowed room with the HQ and everyone is trying to camp it to score the HQ, then letting everyone kill me. Merry Christmas... +40.

I don't mind Last Stand since I just keep shooting everyone even after they are dead. I very rarely if ever fall for Last Stand.

USD

Stoney Mason said:
There use to be a bunch of posts about it if you go back far enough in the thread. People hate the autoflip, the few moments of invulnerability, and the fact that you can hit people with rocket launchers or blow them up and they still go into last stand.

I definitely think some of the perks should be a little more conditional on when they kick in although I rarely get killled by someone in last stand.
It's also pretty dirty that your pistol automatically reloads and all your ammo is restored, as if you were using an entirely different one. I haven't heard too many people complain about Last Stand, despite it's pure awesomeness and superiority over Martyrdom.

Also I forgot to mention double points. +80 for an airstrike? Delicious.
OldJadedGamer said:
Martydom is the best perk every for HQ. I love running into a crowed room with the HQ and everyone is trying to camp it to score the HQ, then letting everyone kill me. Merry Christmas... +40.

I don't mind Last Stand since I just keep shooting everyone even after they are dead. I very rarely if ever fall for Last Stand.
Yeah, I don't understand how people keep dying to it. It's not too hard to memorize the names of guys running around with Last Stand. But as long as people keep dying to it, I'll keep using it.

OldJadedGamer said:

I love Headquarters but sadly I rarely play it as it wrecks havok with my kill to death ratio. Sadly I pretty much stick to only Team DM or Hardcore DM because I'm so anal about it.

Stoney Mason said:
I love Headquarters but sadly I rarely play it as it wrecks havok with my kill to death ratio. Sadly I pretty much stick to only Team DM or Hardcore DM because I'm so anal about it.

I have a few friends like that too. It's too bad, HQ is one of my favorite game types. Plus, you get sooooooo many points from a match even if you lose. This is why K/D is worthless in COD4 though since when you play games like HQ and Sabotage and it just destroys the stat. They really should have different stats for different play types.

raYne

Stoney Mason said:
Did you just quote yourself? :x

Stoney Mason said:

Oh, I'm sure it mattered early in the thread/game's life, but people are well aware of it now and are used to dealing with it. So it's no longer an issue to most people.. From what I've seen anyway.

Similar to you, I hardly ever get killed by it because I know what the drop animation looks like. If I'm in a position to get a clean shot, it's over for the person since I'll already be aiming at them before they hit the ground. If not, there are grenades, flashes etc to take them out. Or, since a lot of people seem to spam the trigger once they're down, I just wait for them to reload and pop out.. *blam*

What I do like about Last Stand, is leaving downed people to bleed out. :D

USD

raYne said:

Oh, I'm sure it mattered early in the thread/game's life, but people are well aware of it now and are used to dealing with it. So it's no longer an issue to most people.. From what I've seen anyway.

Similar to you, I hardly ever get killed by it because I know what the drop animation looks like. If I'm in a position to get a clean shot, it's over for the person since I'll already be aiming at them before they hit the ground.
I have to say, most people I face suck at Last Stand. But most people aren't me.

raYne said:
This pisses me off like no other. I'd rather get the mercy stun grenade then be left to die. But then again, some people leave me to die, and I end up punishing them by killing their unsuspecting teammates. That always makes up for it.

raYne said:
What I do like about Last Stand, is leaving downed people to bleed out. Either that, or hearing that final gunshot when they take their own lives while I walk away to find a new target. :D

I like people that do this... leave my teammates in last stand then I come by (in Hardcore) and shoot them stealing the points for the kill from you.

It counts as a player kill and not an enemy kill when you do that even though the guy was shot down by the enemy.

raYne said:

Similar to you, I hardly ever get killed by it because I know what the drop animation looks like. If I'm in a position to get a clean shot, it's over for the person since I'll already be aiming at them before they hit the ground.

Yes I did. Wrong post.

I think most people get used to anything. I still think it has a few flaws in how it operates the last stand but no game is perfect. Personally I'd actually like to see a revive mechanic perk in the next version, so then it truly does operates on a dual level of risk and reward by being able to essentially truly take away points and win back a life or the risk involved in getting a free kill ala Gears obviously with someone going for the revive.

OldJadedGamer said:
I have a few friends like that too. It's too bad, HQ is one of my favorite game types. Plus, you get sooooooo many points from a match even if you lose. This is why K/D is worthless in COD4 though since when you play games like HQ and Sabotage and it just destroys the stat. They really should have different stats for different play types.

Yeah. They dropped the ball on the stat keeping. Despite all the awesome stats being tracked for the challenges (which end up resetting via prestige anyway) they did a poor job with the actual persistent stat tracking for your character.

raYne

USD said:
This pisses me off like no other. I'd rather get the mercy stun grenade then be left to die. But then again, some people leave me to die, and I end up punishing them by killing their unsuspecting teammates. That always makes up for it.
Oh, you'll get a lot of that from me.

If I down you and I know we're in an isolated area, there's a good chance I'll leave you alone to kill yourself. It's either that or you waste your own time waiting for your demise. I always smirk when I hear that final gunshot when they take their own lives while I walk away to find a new target.

In FFA games, I'll use them as a trap for others since downed people feel the need to spam the trigger, calling people in the area to that location. Meaning even easier kills for me.

If it's a team game though, I'll usually finish them off rather than waste the time.

ShowDog

I hate last stand. Idiot teammates are all to eager to get themselves killed trying to steal a last stand kill, and the moment of invulnerability when you go down is actually long enough to empty 1/3 of my MP5 clip that could have been used on other nearby enemies.

I see why it's advantageous for the other team, I just think it's a little cheap and it could have been implemented a bit more fairly. Rarely do I see people get kills from last stand, more often I get killed by their teammates due to wasted time/ammo or I get my kill stolen.

It's really most effective at just pissing people off, as I have probably gotten about 10 kills stolen from last stand for every time I've actually been killed by it. Of course that goes both ways :p

Is there anyway to delete the map pack? I'm finding the new levels to be incredibly boring, especially Chinatown, and I'd like to remove them from the playlist.

mint

Banned
You know what I love about Martyrdom?

I kill the guy, his grenade ticks. I pick it up, throw it at someone chasing me down. Boom, Hot Potato III ftw.

USD

Holy shit, I was just on the greatest pistol rush ever. 5 straight pistol kills, deep in enemy territory. I wanted to die in the madness of it all, but the other team ended up spawning somewhere far away from me. Going into pistol mode feels so good. On a lot of streaks (like this one) I end up with more pistol kills than kills with my primary.

And after countless hours of playing, I finallycompleted the epic quest for the 2.0 K/D (rounded up). After securing a true 2.0 ratio, I'll probably try to get my headshot count over my assist count.

marvelharvey said:
Is there anyway to delete the map pack? I'm finding the new levels to be incredibly boring, especially Chinatown, and I'd like to remove them from the playlist.

go the to settings blade, then the memory option, games, then CoD4.

I completed the Mile High Club on Veteran yesterday! The only time I ever had so much difficulty with a level was in COD2.:lol

Now I still have to start were I finished before. No Fighting in the War Room:(
It's supposed to be easier but I suspect it is going to be a hard one to swallow.

I don't mind Last Stand, it's very easy to defend yourself from it, unless you're being careless and not watching.

I mind when my team mates purposelly steal my kills.
I've had team mates come with me, and not start shooting at the guy until he goes into last stand.

Others have done it, and then said sorry for stealing my kill which is fine.

USD said:
Holy shit, I was just on the greatest pistol rush ever. 5 straight pistol kills, deep in enemy territory. I wanted to die in the madness of it all, but the other team ended up spawning somewhere far away from me. Going into pistol mode feels so good. On a lot of streaks (like this one) I end up with more pistol kills than kills with my primary.

And after countless hours of playing, I finallycompleted the epic quest for the 2.0 K/D (rounded up). After securing a true 2.0 ratio, I'll probably try to get my headshot count over my assist count.

It feels so good killing someone with a pistol.
It's also mighty embrassing to be on the receiving end.

raYne

roosters93 said:
It feels so good killing someone with a pistol.
It's also mighty embrassing to be on the receiving end.
In one of the last games I played, I came around the corner and ran into a sniper carrying a Barrett 50 cal. Long story short, he killed me with a jumping mid-air no scope headshot. It was the most awesome, luckiest shot I've ever seen.

That's 100x more embarassing than getting killed with a pistol. :/

On pistols themselves, I use them quite a bit. In most of my customs, I have them coupled with a silencer and use them to get quiet kills while sneaking around inside buildings. It's particularly useful if you get the drop on someone, but don't want to alert others in the area.

Taking out 3+ people from a team in the same room, one after the other without alerting the next is always great. :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
raYne said:
In one of the last games I played, I came around the corner and ran into a sniper carrying a Barrett 50 cal. Long story short, he killed me with a jumping mid-air no scope headshot. It was the most awesome, luckiest shot I've ever seen.

That's 100x more embarassing than getting killed with a pistol. :/

On pistols themselves, I use them quite a bit. In most of my customs, I have them coupled with a silencer and use them to get quiet kills while sneaking around inside buildings. It's particularly useful if you get the drop on someone, but don't want to alert others in the area.

Taking out 3+ people from a team in the same room, one after the other without alerting the next is always great. :D

Wait... what's your GT? I did that a few games ago and it was a very awesome experience =P

so how long after level 55 does an option to go PRESTIGE come up?

I've been at 55 for a couple of days... I keep earning xp every game, but it all seems worthless now.. is there something I need to do, or will it come up eventually ?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Rexeverything said:
so how long after level 55 does an option to go PRESTIGE come up?

I've been at 55 for a couple of days... I keep earning xp every game, but it all seems worthless now.. is there something I need to do, or will it come up eventually ?
Click barracks, you'll have an XP bar there. I believe it's ~5,500xp and then it will allow you to click prestige.

Top Bottom