• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

pxleyes said:
if you have a nice HDTV, I say just get the 360. That's what I am doing. Increases my 360 library, play on Live, and I get the added bonus of having a good way to show off my HDTV.

Depends on how close your PC is to the HDTV. Playing it in 1080p is mighty tempting.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
LunaticPuma said:
So are you able to play with friends on the same team with the 360 version? What's the lobby set-up like?

Yeah, you can party-up. Very much like Halo's matchmaking.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Goreomedy said:
Yeah, you can party-up. Very much like Halo's matchmaking.
We haven't partied in a while. We should do this tonight after 9EST if you can. Get as many folks together from PDZ, Gears, COD2, Halo 3; etc. as we can for a big ol' launch day GAFtacular!

ElyrionX

mrklaw said:
I'm buying it and will only play it single player - just don't have time for multiplayer and have a backlog as it is.

This will satisfy my 'shoot everything' lust, while Mario Galaxy will hopefully satisfy my 'Gay Plumber' lust.

You can't buy COD4 and stick to just SP. That's ridiculous. SP is fun, sure. But goddamn, the multiplayer is the most addictive I have come across since the good old days of the Counter-strike betas on the PC. And believe me, I have played enough to know. Halo 3 ain't got nothing on COD4's multiplayer.

Ragnarok10 said:
Ordered from familyvideo for $53.99. :D

I've ordered from there before and have no complaints, just expect a bit of a longer wait than with some of the big boy retailers.

I ordered Viva Pinata from there and I'd say it took a good 2 weeks to arrive, from the time of my order.

prices are great though, and they seem to have good stock.

ElyrionX said:
You can't buy COD4 and stick to just SP. That's ridiculous. SP is fun, sure. But goddamn, the multiplayer is the most addictive I have come across since the good old days of the Counter-strike betas on the PC. And believe me, I have played enough to know. Halo 3 ain't got nothing on COD4's multiplayer.

Truly, that beta ruined Halo 3 MP for me. it just did everything right.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
pxleyes said:
if you have a nice HDTV, I say just get the 360. That's what I am doing. Increases my 360 library, play on Live, and I get the added bonus of having a good way to show off my HDTV.
Yeah this is going to fucking rock on my 88inch DLP projector. I just wish I could back up further than 9 feet.

ElyrionX said:
But goddamn, the multiplayer is the most addictive I have come across since the good old days of the Counter-strike betas on the PC. And believe me, I have played enough to know. Halo 3 ain't got nothing on COD4's multiplayer.

Holy shit you did not just say that. If this comes close to those CS days I think I might force a tear out just because.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DenogginizerOS said:
We haven't partied in a while. We should do this tonight after 9EST if you can. Get as many folks together from PDZ, Gears, COD2, Halo 3; etc. as we can for a big ol' launch day GAFtacular!

A lot of my Halo 3 friends aren't getting COD4. So this may be the only way I'll get into decent multiplayer matches with people I won't hate. :)

I just hope Gamestop comes through for me tonight.

calder

Aww. :| Minor thing, but PTT is nice as a rule. Way too many people with crappy mics or their sound turned up so high the feedback and background noise are endless.

As long as we can mute players when we get sick of hearing them yelling at their mom because they are too busy to take out the garbage it'll be fine though.

MercuryLS

Banned
blindrocket said:
I just called my Gamestop, they said TOMORROW. The wait is hurting me.

I'm dying here too, most places get it tomorrow. Only one mom and pop store might get it today around 7:30pm.

belvedere said:
Someone tell me you can still pick it up today without a pre-order.
You probably need to make some phone calls to figure this one out - people are reporting different thing depending on where they are, what stores they talk to, etc... Talk to your local stores and they'll have a better handle on it.

ElyrionX

vumpler said:
Holy shit you did not just say that. If this comes close to those CS days I think I might force a tear out just because.

COD4 is somewhat different in that it's a lot faster paced since you spawn instantly after dying but the combat mechanics are simply awesome. It doesn't take long for a newbie to pick up the game and have a go, much like CS and Halo.

The unlock system is seriously one of the most incredible I have come across. Think Battlefield 2 on the PC and multiply the effect by 10 and you'll have a rough idea of what COD4 offers. Very rewarding and very satisfying. I'm at level 14 now and the rewards appear to be nicely spaced out.

The rewards also feed directly into the Custom Class system which allows everyone to tailor their character to suit their playing style. If you like the grenade launcher like me, you can add a grenade launcher attachment to your rifle and pick the Sonic Boom perk, which increases your explosive weapons damage. If you prefer to run and gun, you can pick the same rifle but instead of a grenade launcher, go for the red-dot sight. It makes shooting a lot more precise and accurate compared to the iron sights. It's all very delicately balanced.

Personally, I think the biggest challenge COD4 faces is acceptance from the gamers in general. As we all know, a multiplayer game lives and dies with its community. I truly believe that the core gameplay mechanics and unlock system are definitely good enough but sometimes a game just needs that bit of luck. Might have been a bad idea to release this during the holidays where awesome games are released every week. But we'll see. It certainly has the potential to get there.

epmode

Ah shit, I didn't pay any attention to the PC version. Is it the same as the console versions, content-wise? The choice wasn't very difficult for the Orange Box, but I'm really not sure where to go with this one..

Doc Evils

Anyone else in the UK get the preview DVD from GAME?

The gameplay video for the 360 version had dreadful tearing on the ship scene. Is that fixed for retail?

calder said:
Aww. :| Minor thing, but PTT is nice as a rule. Way too many people with crappy mics or their sound turned up so high the feedback and background noise are endless.

PTT is fine if you are playing with idiots, but awful if you are playing with friends.

I just looked at gamestop, is the pc collectors edition that crappy compared to the 360 version? :/

edit: Or does their description just suck? I just looked again and it has a picture of stuff it doesn't mention on the pc one that it does mention for the 360 one.

belvedere

Junior Butler
My EB's/GS's are saying tomorrow. Tonight's release is only for people who have it reserved.

Maybe a CC, BB, Target or Wal-mart type place may get tonight too?

KZObsessed

Is anyone else from EU ordering the US version of CoD4? (PS3)

Is it definitely region free? I know I'm gonna import a game one of these days and find some scum bags have region coded it for no reason grr!

belvedere said:
My EB's/GS's are saying tomorrow. Tonight's release is only for people who have it reserved.

Maybe a CC, BB, Target or Wal-mart type place may get tonight too?

I'd love it if CC got it in early...

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
ElyrionX said:
COD4 is somewhat different in that it's a lot faster paced since you spawn instantly after dying

Try Search and Destroy :)

Doc Evils said:
Anyone else in the UK get the preview DVD from GAME?

The gameplay video for the 360 version had dreadful tearing on the ship scene. Is that fixed for retail?

Must be from the 60fps downconversion to whatever that DVD is playing back as. No tearing in the game.

saelz8

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just looked at gamestop, is the pc collectors edition that crappy compared to the 360 version? :/

edit: Or does their description just suck? I just looked again and it has a picture of stuff it doesn't mention on the pc one that it does mention for the 360 one.
No, it's right. The PC CE comes with a PDF BradyGAMES Official Strategy Guide. No 4 hour DVD.

PC Gamers need help playing FPS's, so it makes sense.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I just spoke to the guy at my Gamestop and they are telling me this afternoon/evening. I'll get over there later tonight and hopefully come home with a copy.

"No, it's right. The PC CE comes with a PDF BradyGAMES Official Strategy Guide. No 4 hour DVD.

PC Gamers need help playing FPS's, so it makes sense."

:( I've like those historical movies as of late after getting the two with WIC. Looks like I'm buying the regular edition in that case for pc, too bad it isn't on sale this week.

Ragnarok10 said:

It's basically the ability to create individual chat channels for speaking freely with a subset of your party. It's a nice feature, I'd like to see more games with it (on all platforms, there's no reason for a dev to limit it to PS3).

Ragnarok10

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's basically the ability to create individual chat channels for speaking freely with a subset of your party. It's a nice feature, I'd like to see more games with it (on all platforms, there's no reason for a dev to limit it to PS3).
Awesome, thanks.

h3ro

Ragnarok10 said:

If you mean a Party system, then yes, its in the OP...

Posted by Calen (IW dev)
CoD4 PS3 does have ranked, player skill based matchmaking! It does not use the TrueSkill algorithm, because that is Microsoft proprietary and therefore you'll only ever see it on the 360. People have been ranking and matching players in games long before this though, so we just use a different ranking technique on the PS3.

Server selection is still based around private match + invite, LAN game, local splitscreen MP or online matchmaking with the same party and lobby support the 360 has. The only server browser screen is the one for seeing what systemlink games are underway on your local LAN.

Edited to add, DKo5 beat me to it I see this so often it bears repeating, though.

Kosma

Banned
I'm so tempted to buy this despite my hate for P2P MP and the 6 hour single player....somehow I think it will be worth it.

Mojovonio said:
So hardcore mode is only for MP?

You wanted to try Hardcore mode on Veteran in SP or what?

Mojovonio

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I'm so tempted to buy this despite my hate for P2P MP and the 6 hour single player....somehow I think it will be worth it.

You wanted to try Hardcore mode on Veteran in SP or what?

Maybe not Veteran, but I think it would provide a good challenge in any difficulty.

Top Bottom