• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Just popped this back in after not playing it since December. Damn, I've been really missing out. This game is insanely fun. I shouldn't have neglected it the way I did.

daw840

I also just picked this game up again. Time to get addicted again, forgot how much fun it is killing racist 12-year olds.......

USD

So I for the first time in at least a month and a half, I played this. And man, my hands were unsure of themselves. My trigger finger was slow, my aim was shakey. Still did fairly well, but way below my old standards.

And I didn't know I missed a double XP weekend 2 weeks ago. But that was Ninja Gaiden II week, so I guess that's understandable. Not like it matters much though, I've already got my Gold Cross. :p Still only level 50 though. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Still slowly making my way through single player campaign, up to the part where you have to defend your wounded captain from the snipers over by the abandoned Chernobyl amusement park... My only real complaints about the game so far, aside from N64-looking vegetation when you crawl, is that enemies love to 'nade spam to ridiculous levels, and the window of opportunity to choke a dog that's attacking you is much too small. I'm playing on the default mode. Gonna try out my first online game of this tonight, against a few people from work.

djtiesto said:
Still slowly making my way through single player campaign, up to the part where you have to defend your wounded captain from the snipers over by the abandoned Chernobyl amusement park... My only real complaints about the game so far, aside from N64-looking vegetation when you crawl, is that enemies love to 'nade spam to ridiculous levels, and the window of opportunity to choke a dog that's attacking you is much too small. I'm playing on the default mode. Gonna try out my first online game of this tonight, against a few people from work.

You get better the more you do it.

MIMIC

Banned
I love this game. I've never played a military-like game before (in fact, the only FPS that I play is Halo) but this game is so much fun. I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th mission...right after you provide the air support and have to take out all the bad guys. I didn't realize that the guys who were blinking were friendlies. Oops (x3) :lol

Online, I guess I'm OK. I'm so used to Halo multiplayer so it's taking some getting used to. I get killed way too often though, even though I'm a 44 Colonel in Halo, if that means anything :)

Ledsen

salva said:
You get better the more you do it.

Actually I've finished the campaign twice (once on Veteran) and I only managed to avoid getting killed by a dog attack ONCE. It was the first time I got jumped, I accidentally pressed the second stick because I got so scared.

YakiSOBA

We just got a PS3 and CoD4 this week... this game is unbelievable!!!

Question: If you invite a friend into a room, do you always play on the same team?
I was doing team-deathmatch and all these guys with rank55 kept being placed on the same team... or does it just go top 8 vs bottom 8 in rankings?

Ledsen

YakiSOBA said:
We just got a PS3 and CoD4 this week... this game is unbelievable!!!

Question: If you invite a friend into a room, do you always play on the same team?
I was doing team-deathmatch and all these guys with rank55 kept being placed on the same team... or does it just go top 8 vs bottom 8 in rankings?

Yes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This game is really cool online, but what's up with the matchmaking? I'm on level 4 right now and they pair me up against level 55 people :p I kinda miss Halo's way of doing things... maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Gonna post further impressions soon, just finished Act 2, gonna try and beat single player this weekend, and of course play some online, and hopefully local, multiplayer.

HolyStar

Banned
Ok, I have rented this game in the past. It is so much fun. I love shooters that are "few shots=kill" I loved RS2: Vegas and I was wondering. Should I buy the game right now, or wait for a price drop? Right now I am thinking about just renting the game again so I have something to play. Halo 3 just isn't fun anymore and TF2 on live is kinda sad.

HolyStar said:
Ok, I have rented this game in the past. It is so much fun. I love shooters that are "few shots=kill" I loved RS2: Vegas and I was wondering. Should I buy the game right now, or wait for a price drop? Right now I am thinking about just renting the game again so I have something to play. Halo 3 just isn't fun anymore and TF2 on live is kinda sad.

buy

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
djtiesto said:
This game is really cool online, but what's up with the matchmaking? I'm on level 4 right now and they pair me up against level 55 people :p I kinda miss Halo's way of doing things... maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I'd like it if you earned more XP for killing people ranked much higher than you (unless it already does work this way and I just can't tell). Ultimately, I don't really care too much since I'm a lot "better" at this game than Halo; I seem to have the quick reactions needed to be good at a game like this, but I tend to have trouble surviving long firefights (which hurts a lot more in Halo than COD).

I'm still playing online quite a bit, though still new to things. For the first time maybe ever, I can say that I genuinely enjoy every gametype offered online. Usually I only play DM, team DM, and maybe one other type, but in COD4's case, I like them all. :D

Rayme

You only-ever rank up, there's no way to fall down in ranks. So even the worst CoD players (my best friend, for instance) can eventually get to the highest levels, if they put enough time in.

Because of that, rank winds up not being a very accurate measure of skill (of course, it DOES show roughly how experienced they are!). So if you're thrown in with a bunch of level-50s, don't give up hope just yet. =)

Your actual skill level is a hidden set of values. These should help keep you matched with players as close to your skill as possible. (Though what's possible isn't always ideal, obviously. Especially at 4am.)

Yeah k/d ratio is a much more accurate measurement of how good a player is.

It would be nice if they could give us a k/d ratio after each round (like in R6V2) instead of putting the dude who killed the most at the top of the table.

djtiesto said:

Just because you are level 55 doesn't mean you level 55 in skill. It's basically time served. When I was doing my prestige levels, I could get to 55 in 3-4 days of playing Headquarters.

USD

You know you're good with the G3 when people start asking you if you modded your controller.

I've started to love the Deagle. There are still plenty of situations better suited for a .45, but usually 2-shot kill of the Deagle is very nice.

MIMIC

Banned
Just finished it, but I couldn't help think that the game was a little....short. Still, I had a lot of fun playing it. I wanted to pull my hair out when I was trying to carry that guy to the helicopter. I found it next to impossible :lol I beat it on Hardened for the first time so I'll probably play it again on Veteran and try to get all of the achievements.

woodchuck

Spinning Plates said:
Yeah k/d ratio is a much more accurate measurement of how good a player is.

It would be nice if they could give us a k/d ratio after each round (like in R6V2) instead of putting the dude who killed the most at the top of the table.

i don't think that k/d ratio is that good of a measure. in terms of how valuable you are to the team, the kill/death difference is a much better stat

anaron

morlock said:
The G3 is by far my favourite weapon in Hardcore-modes. Extreme precision and one shot is enough from whereever on the map (no need for stopping power). You can literally snipe with it and the RDS idles when sighted. :)

Dude just use the m16 with SP and you will easily be way over 1. I don't think I'm very good but my ratio is 1.33 and it's all with m16.

Anton668

v0yce said:
Ugg, I just popped in CoD4 after not playing it for quite some time and I'm getting the dreaded "downloading game settings" thing.

Is there a fix for this?

im having the same problems. I used to be able to play. Now I cant. has something changed? Nothing has changed on my end except i'm now running a wired connection from my router instead of wireless.

If I cant fix it, looks like i'll have to trade it in.

SumGamer

Anton668 said:
im having the same problems. I used to be able to play. Now I cant. has something changed? Nothing has changed on my end except i'm now running a wired connection from my router instead of wireless.

If I cant fix it, looks like i'll have to trade it in.

I happened to spent an hour trying to get into the game the other day, three of my friends playing find at that time though. From what I gather together by myself it happens to be occuring mostly when the internet usage in my area would be consider a peak time.

Not sure if it is though. But I can login and play MGO just fine :S

I've lost quite a bit of interest in CoD4 recently. Pretty much playing Halo 3 exclusively, both multiplayer, and some campaign here and there with friends. The fact that Bungie just released a new map for free, had Bungie Day, and has an announcement looming is certainly helping too. If Infinity Ward wants to pull me back to CoD4...Make the Variety Map Pack free! New maps always pull me back to a game, usually for quite a stay.

MIMIC

Banned
Trying to get the Mile High Club achievement....hard as hell :lol I did it on Hardened without throwing a single flashbang (but not on purpose...I forgot that I had them :lol)

This might take a while

MIMIC

Banned
sullytao said:
Just got to Mile High on veteran. the thing that really makes this level hell for me on vet is the stupidest things like small suitcases and wall and door edges that completely stop you in your tracks for some unknown reason, stun not affecting everyone in the area even though they were clearly in the blast range and to top it all off the friendly a.i. likes to ignore enemies completely sometime even just walk right past them in some cases.

And I thought it was just me :lol

Ledsen

MIMIC said:
Trying to get the Mile High Club achievement....hard as hell :lol I did it on Hardened without throwing a single flashbang (but not on purpose...I forgot that I had them :lol)

This might take a while

There's a Youtube video showing how to do it, not hard at all if you do it his way. Took me about 30 mins of trying before I made it.

Anton668

dwin45 said:
Has anyone been having major connection issues with this game on PS3 ever since fw 2.41?

Its been longer than that I haven't been able to connect....

Gonna try getting a different router soon.....

dwin45

It's really weird. I have no problem finding games. When I get into a game I usually have 3 or 4 green bars but it's really laggy and the "connection error" thing pops up constantly but never actually kicks me out of the game.

MIMIC

Banned
Ledsen said:
There's a Youtube video showing how to do it, not hard at all if you do it his way. Took me about 30 mins of trying before I made it.

I keep getting to those last couple of guys and my mind goes "Oh shit, you're about to get the achievement!" and I always fuck it up :lol

I guess I should play more passively. :)

My most recent achievements are "Man of the People" and "New Squadron Record". I just have to play through the game on Veteran (and get some of the achievements that I missed, like the intel items and shooting the TVs) and I'll be done :)

Ledsen

MIMIC said:
I keep getting to those last couple of guys and my mind goes "Oh shit, you're about to get the achievement!" and I always fuck it up :lol

I guess I should play more passively. :)

My most recent achievements are "Man of the People" and "New Squadron Record". I just have to play through the game on Veteran (and get some of the achievements that I missed, like the intel items and shooting the TVs) and I'll be done :)

Yeah I'm almost done too, only missing Intel and TV:s. Oh and btw, you don't "just" play through the game on veteran :)

Beq

Neo Member
Played this again today, where I haven't played it in over a month.

All I could think of is "holy crap this is awesome". Silenced weapon sneaking around buildings while the sound of a helicopter is blasting through my rear speakers gunning people down.

I am not as good as I was, I have a little catching up to do, but its fun as hell.

YakiSOBA

noob questions:

red laser dot or acog?
can all assault rifles get the silencer?
is rpd the best light machine gun?

will anyone be my friend on psn? :'(

I'm having a lot of fun playing without my friends.:D
Got my new best streak of 21 the other day and then got 19 today before I got killed by my team-mate's grenade out of nowhere. :(

YakiSOBA said:
noob questions:

red laser dot or acog?

Red dot is good for short,mid and long range.
Acog is only good for mid to long cause its just too hard and gets in the way.

All assault rifles get the silence except MP44.

The M60E4 is technically the best LMG. (Highest damage, and good accuracy with grip attached)

But it has poor iron sights and poor accuracy with iron sights or red dot.
The RPD is not far behind damage wise and has better accuracy.

I like all the LMGs though.:D

Roxas

YakiSOBA said:
noob questions:

red laser dot or acog?

- I always prefer the red dot.
- Yes, as far as im aware.
- Yes.

- Sure, my PSN is Goonboy

:)

Anton668

SumGamer said:
I happened to spent an hour trying to get into the game the other day, three of my friends playing find at that time though. From what I gather together by myself it happens to be occuring mostly when the internet usage in my area would be consider a peak time.

Not sure if it is though. But I can login and play MGO just fine :S

I could play anything online except COD4. Went and bought a new router tonight, Linksys WRT54GS, to replace my D-Link WBR-2310. Hooked it all up, started COD4, and was playing online with no prob!

Moral of the story, FUCK D-Link!!

neoism

Anton668 said:
I could play anything online except COD4. Went and bought a new router tonight, Linksys WRT54GS, to replace my D-Link WBR-2310. Hooked it all up, started COD4, and was playing online with no prob!

Moral of the story, FUCK D-Link!!

You'll be saying the same about Linksys after a while, I have one and its a piece of shit. I'm getting a net gear soon!

MIMIC

Banned
I hear that people have been having trouble obtaining achievements after disabling the cheats. Am I better off just waiting until I have obtained ALL of the achievements before I play around with the cheats?

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not using cheats to help me in the game. I'm just a little anxious to see what they do, but I don't want them to mess up my chances for getting achievements....which is why I was asking whether to wait until I have obtained all of them achievements first.

Top Bottom