• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

DuckRacer

Call of Duty 2 had three. One was free, another was 400pts, another was 800pts.

I'm shocked they're not creating anything else considering the first map pack had like a million downloads.

Foil

cjelly said:
I can't believe a game that has been the top of the XBL Played List since launch has only had one map pack released. It's unreal.

I'm sure CoD2 had at least 2.

It's pretty sad that COD4 has only had one map pack. This is why I hate yearly sequels. Great online games are basically left to die by the publisher just because they want the focus on the next release. COD4 could last years if given the proper attention and content flow. Of course Activision wouldn't want that, they make a ton of money by having people buy a new game every year. Hell, I still get that damn "connection interupted" message and kicked out of games on PS3. Yes, after all this time... you'd think they'd fix that.

This is why I love the way Bungie supports their games online for quite a while and handles their map packs properly in terms of charging at first then making them free and rolling everyone back together... but that's a rant for another thread on how I hate the way most developers handle their pay dlc and chop up their userbases. :lol

cjelly said:
Yeah, I think what really hurt them was that Activision wanted to get the hype machine for the next one started in June.

Pretty much. Activision has visions of World of War pulling as much bank as COD 4 which won't happen. It's a shame because I would have bought as many map packs as possible for COD 4 but doubt very much I will buy world at war at all.

Feral Youth said:
I think that game comes out 4 days after Gear 2, and week after Left for Dead. I can't see many people buying it at all.

Slightly different audiences even though Gears is a shooter also. I think it will sell a few million but nothing like COD 4.

Victrix

*beard*
It kind of blows my mind to even consider that CoD5 is coming out this year. While I've mostly stopped playing CoD4 (fuck you m16), the game is phenomenal - I played it for 5-6 months solid, and I _hate_ tactical 'realistic' shooters.

With proper updates, regular new content, and maybe even occasional tournaments or other bits to spike interest, they could keep it going for a loooong time.

Then again, I'm sort of the opinion that updates to really great multiplayer games are nearly completely useless, and sometimes doomed to failure, due to an entrenched playerbase that doesn't want to move on (UT2k4 anyone?)

Long lasting support is the path to fans hearts (Blizzard, Bungie)

But whatever. I'm curious to see what they do with their next game. I hope they can step away from CoD, just like Bungie probably wants to step away from Halo.

Victrix said:
It kind of blows my mind to even consider that CoD5 is coming out this year
I don't think the Treyarch title is officially being called COD 5. Right now it is going by the World at War subtitle and I hope it remains that way.

DuckRacer

Stoney Mason said:
I don't think the Treyarch title is officially being called COD 4. Right now it is going by the World at War subtitle and I hope it remains that way.
It likely will, but I get the feeling they're ditching the numbers so Call of Duty doesn't seem oversaturated to the consumers (for a lack of better words) instead of ditching the number in respect of Infinity Ward.

Quite frankly I hope they cancel it. Fuck that game.

DuckRacer

Strider2K99 said:
I'm interested in WaW for the coop at least.
Yeah but you know there's going to be coop in CoD6 which will come out in 2009 and be far better than anything Treyarch shovels out.

*sigh* I don't know. I literally laughed when they announced that one of the "features" of the game would be a Russian campaign. I was fine going back to WWII because it seemed like a real, unabated take on the Pacific Theater would be rad, but nooo, let's add campaigns from past games.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Duck said:
Yeah but you know there's going to be coop in CoD6 which will come out in 2009 and be far better than anything Treyarch shovels out.

*sigh* I don't know. I literally laughed when they announced that one of the "features" of the game would be a Russian campaign. I was fine going back to WWII because it seemed like a real, unabated take on the Pacific Theater would be rad, but nooo, let's add campaigns from past games.

To be fair though, this time Treyarch's gotten a lot more than eight months to develop the game.

USD

Does any one else have this problem (360 version)? It only happens when I get the "Connection Interrupted" message, get kicked back to the lobby and then the game lobby closes. I'll try to search for a new game, but immediately after beginning the search the game freezes up, sometimes for upwards of 30 seconds (if not frozen foreve). After going back to the Dashboard (if I can even access the guide) or rebooting my console everything works fine, but the stats from my last couple games are always missing.

Occasionally I get thrown into a different gametype than the one selected (usually Hardcore TM), but I think that happens to everyone. I lol at people who use Juggernaut in Hardcore. And getting Last Stand kills is so ridiculously easy. Me and my opponent on equal ground (except for my inability to move) = me winning most of the time.

EDIT: Also, just so I don't sound like an idiot. There's no sign that it's me getting disconnected, I don't get the pop up and when I check the guide I'm still connected.

Foil

cjelly said:
Yeah, I think what really hurt them was that Activision wanted to get the hype machine for the next one started in June.

Yeah they obviously don't want COD4 taking away any potential sales from WaW. So the great game is left to die so the average "other cod" can net them more money. Sad since I love the Modern Warfare theme and don't want this game fading away. People are eventually going to get tired and move on if they don't offer anymore updates and content.

USD said:
Does any one else have this problem (360 version)? It only happens when I get the "Connection Interrupted" message, get kicked back to the lobby and then the game lobby closes. I'll try to search for a new game, but immediately after beginning the search the game freezes up, sometimes for upwards of 30 seconds (if not frozen foreve). After going back to the Dashboard (if I can even access the guide) or rebooting my console everything works fine, but the stats from my last couple games are always missing.

Occasionally I get thrown into a different gametype than the one selected (usually Hardcore TM), but I think that happens to everyone. I lol at people who use Juggernaut in Hardcore. And getting Last Stand kills is so ridiculously easy. Me and my opponent on equal ground (except for my inability to move) = me winning most of the time.

Never had that second part happen to me on PS3, but I get the "connection interrupted" message all the time and kicked back into the lobbies. You'd figure that kinda shit would have been fixed ages ago. Pretty pathetic that it was never addressed. This is the only online game that gives me issues like this.

Ok, tiny little rant here. I've been playing since launch and I'm on my 6th prestige level (I thought I wanted to stop at 5 but decided a few months later after non-stop headshots that I wanted to go again)

But my rant comes from shooting a noob toob or RPG and hearing and seeing it come out of the gun, then I die and my toob/rocket just simply disappear. I'm sorry IW but... where did it go? How does me dying change the fact that the rocket has already left the cannon? Seriously, it really pisses me off each time it happens.

Second rant... I'm really sick of losing HQ due to horrible spawns. Most times it will either make the new HQ right next to the one the enemy just captured then when we get there, there are already 2-3 people securing it. I even put extreme conditioning on so I could get there faster. It works in my favor too where it will spawn me, then the HQ is right next to me so I start securing it as soon as it's active. It's not fair either way and is very frustrating when you lose or win a game not by skill but because the game decided that you would win.

Anyway, love the game but those two things have been driving me really nuts lately.

OldJadedGamer said:
But my rant comes from shooting a noob toob or RPG and hearing and seeing it come out of the gun, then I die and my toob/rocket just simply disappear. I'm sorry IW but... where did it go? How does me dying change the fact that the rocket has already left the cannon? Seriously, it really pisses me off each time it happens.

Most simple explanation is that there is lag, and as far as the host is concerned, you died before you shot the Rocket/Grenade. Being a Hardcore guy, you can't check the Killcam unfortunately.

PedroLumpy said:
Most simple explanation is that there is lag, and as far as the host is concerned, you died before you shot the Rocket/Grenade. Being a Hardcore guy, you can't check the Killcam unfortunately.

I figured but I'm not the kind of gamer that blames lag.

OldJadedGamer said:
I figured but I'm not the kind of gamer that blames lag.

Well, you may have a long search ahead of you for an explanation then.

I wonder if Client Side Hit Detection would be better overall? I sure don't see it much these days.

USD

OldJadedGamer said:
Ok, tiny little rant here. I've been playing since launch and I'm on my 6th prestige level (I thought I wanted to stop at 5 but decided a few months later after non-stop headshots that I wanted to go again)

Second rant... I'm really sick of losing HQ due to horrible spawns. Most times it will either make the new HQ right next to the one the enemy just captured then when we get there, there are already 2-3 people securing it. I even put extreme conditioning on so I could get there faster. It works in my favor too where it will spawn me, then the HQ is right next to me so I start securing it as soon as it's active. It's not fair either way and is very frustrating when you lose or win a game not by skill but because the game decided that you would win.

Anyway, love the game but those two things have been driving me really nuts lately.
That's just how the networking is. Everything you see isn actually (just barely) in the past. I've had the same thing happen, where it looks like I got three or four shots off, but in actuality I'm already dead. I've basically had to learn to lead all my shots about 0.05 seconds into the future.

USD

<3 Overkill. It gets more respect than some of the other Perk 2's (Double Tap, Sleight of Hand, and Sonic Boom get virtually no usage at all), but if I do see it used, it's usually a sniper. It's a perk of deception; most people don't expect to get blasted by a shotgun from an AR guy. It feels so good to be able to combine my two favorite weapon classes (AR and Shotgun) into a single package, letting me play the entire field at near maximum effectiveness.

I'm a W1200 guy. Most shotgunners go for the rapid-fire M1014, but I prefer the Winchester for its higher power, decreased spread, and its higher capacity. I just make sure I kill them with the first shot. I also like the kick; I love using weapons that feel powerful, and the W1200 outclasses the M1014 in that category by a mile. It's just so much more satisfying to use. And after having abandoned the G3 for the M14 for a while, I am again reminded why the G3 is king.

On an entirely different note, I laugh at how quick people are at trying to discredit. Martydom (sic), Juggernoob, M16, noob tube, you hear those things flung around a lot. The one I get is modded controller. Going by some people, if you can shoot a G3/pistol faster than 2 shots per second you have to be using a modded controller. Personally I don't see much value in a turbo controller, since the greatest asset of the semiauto guns is having absolute control of your rate of fire (within the limits of your finger). But if people still want to use one, whatever. All the people I've encountered with real modded controllers weren't that good anyway.

After playing this game at my friends house the past few weeks, I finally decided to dive in and buy myself a copy. I've already beat the SP when I rented the game a few months ago, but my only multiplayer experience has been at my friends house.

I have a few questions. Whenever I play multiplayer, I usually choose either the M16 (yeah, yeah, cheap weapon, I know), or the P90. Lately I've been leaning towards the latter. What weapons would you guys suggest? As for perks, I use Last Stand, Stopping Power, and 2x Claymore. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, all.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Jack Scofield said:
I have a few questions. Whenever I play multiplayer, I usually choose either the M16 (yeah, yeah, cheap weapon, I know), or the P90. Lately I've been leaning towards the latter. What weapons would you guys suggest? As for perks, I use Last Stand, Stopping Power, and 2x Claymore. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, all.

It depends on how you want to play. I generally switch between stealth (Silenced AK-47/MP5 w/ Dead Silence and UAV Jammer), support (RPD w/ Grip and Stopping Power) and assault (G36c w/ Stopping Power and Martyrdom) depending on what map I'm playing. I always use 3 Frags (with exception on the RPD)
DON'T HURT ME.

This has probably already been discussed to death in this massive thread, but I'd like to reiterate that Headquarters mode is incredibly frustrating and unbalanced towards the losing team. When a team captures the headquarters, the entire attacking team is usually the farthest away from the new headquarters. So, once you start losing, there's a good chance you'll lose the round, and the point differences are BIG.

All they need to do is spread out the HQ respawn by 15 seconds or so for the losing team to spread out on the map, giving each side equal chance at capping the new spawn.

/rant

DuckRacer

Jack Scofield said:
Hmm, was I mistaken in thinking that the GOTY edition of COD4 came with the Variety Map pack? I can't even find a redeemable code in the box.
Did you buy it brand new? If it's like Call of Duty 2 it should be inside a sleeve.

Duck said:
Did you buy it brand new? If it's like Call of Duty 2 it should be inside a sleeve.

Yeah, I bought it brand-new, factory-sealed and everything. The only thing inside the case is the game disc and the manual. Bad luck for me, I guess.

Everdred

Jack Scofield said:
Yeah, I bought it brand-new, factory-sealed and everything. The only thing inside the case is the game disc and the manual. Bad luck for me, I guess.
The same thing just happened to me. Not happy. Any way for us to get our hands on them?

I'm back into COD 4 and I flipped prestige again but I want to experiment with some new guns. What are some of the cool/fun guns besides the M16 and P90 as I pretty much want to play through an entire cycle without using those two.

DuckRacer

Stoney Mason said:
I'm back into COD 4 and I flipped prestige again but I want to experiment with some new guns. What are some of the cool/fun guns besides the M16 and P90 as I pretty much want to play through an entire cycle without using those two.
Silenced Skorpion with sleight of hand and bandolier.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Stoney Mason said:

Silenced MP5 is pretty fun :D

PacoDG

Stoney Mason said:

My current lovefest has been with RPD with a grip, stopping power, and deep impact. Using smoke grenades. Once you find what you can shoot through (which is most everything), it is fun to see people hide behind walls and keep firing to kill them, good times.

My alternate set up is a m104 shotgun with grip, uav jammer, and extreme conditioning. Using smoke grenades here too. Really makes you keep your eyes open but satisfying when you get a shitload of kills.

I have leveled up to 44 in the past two weeks sticking to just those two weapon sets.

Stoney Mason said:

It's isn't a "fun" or "special" weapon by any means, but I've been drawn to the M4 lately. Seems like a good balance between power and accuracy.

USD

PacoDG said:
My current lovefest has been with RPD with a grip, stopping power, and deep impact. Using smoke grenades. Once you find what you can shoot through (which is most everything), it is fun to see people hide behind walls and keep firing to kill them, good times.

My alternate set up is a m104 shotgun with grip, uav jammer, and extreme conditioning. Using smoke grenades here too. Really makes you keep your eyes open but satisfying when you get a shitload of kills.

I have leveled up to 44 in the past two weeks sticking to just those two weapon sets.
Yes, yes, yes. Whenever I get bored with assault rifles and shotguns I use the RPD. The RPD's superior sights (compared to the other LMGs) combined with the grip makes it incredibly deadly. Fire it in controlled, 3-5 shot bursts (the only time I use sustained automatic fire is in CQB and when shooting through walls) and you end up with a high-power assault rifle that you only have to reload a quarter as often.

Stoney Mason said:

I would make love to the G3 + Silencer in Hardcore.

USD

One thing to note about the silenced G3 is there is a weird glitch that causes the melee stab to not work 90% percent of the time, so either get used to always shooting in close range or knife while using your sidearm.

blahness

PacoDG said:

YES! this is the only gun i use anymore with this same exact setup. i love taking sniper positions and picking people off using it. the plus is that it is unlocked after lvl 6 i believe or whatever level unlocks create a class.

Jack Scofield said:
It's isn't a "fun" or "special" weapon by any means, but I've been drawn to the M4 lately. Seems like a good balance between power and accuracy.

M4 is pretty dope. Nice replacement for the M16. Never really used it before either. I'm trying to work in the RPD but that's going to take some getting use to.

ltse1

Help, I just bought CoD4 for PC and multiplayer isn't working (no servers show up). I've tried:

- Port forwarding (linksys router) the ports 28960, 20800 and 20810.
- Reinstalling
- Disabling firewalls
- Downloading and installing patches 1.4-1.7
- Updating punkbuster manually

I'm almost all out of sanity, any suggestions?

Dyno

Got back into playing it online after completing some other games. Boy did the masses get good while I was gone! It took me some training before I was getting the most kills/least deaths again.

It's just a great all-round game and nothing compares. I've done nearly all the challenges except for headshots and even though the rewards are so miniscule I enjoy doing them.

I've got red and blue tiger stripe for most weapons but to get gold I have to max out all the challenges in each weapon section, right?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
ltse1 said:
Help, I just bought CoD4 for PC and multiplayer isn't working (no servers show up). I've tried:

- Port forwarding (linksys router) the ports 28960, 20800 and 20810.
- Reinstalling
- Disabling firewalls
- Downloading and installing patches 1.4-1.7
- Updating punkbuster manually

I'm almost all out of sanity, any suggestions?

check your filters. And if your browsing internet instead of Local (lan)

PacoDG

"Back from PAX means back to work, and while it’s a short week thanks to Labor Day it’s the one time I wish it wasn’t because I have a lot of stuff to get done. I’m currently working on getting everything organized and together for an upcoming Xbox Live / PSN promotion we have coming up the weekend of Sept. 12th - 14th. Which isn’t this weekend, but next weekend. I will have exact details on what it is in the near future but I have a gut feeling it’ll have Double XP attached to it for all those hungry for some power-leveling on Call of Duty 4.

Currently working on designing some Xbox Live banners to promote it on the marketplace and attempting to get everything together for it on our end. This promotion is technically unrelated to the new Playlists, but I won’t lie that my hope is to finish them up in time so that we can make it all one big promotion. How epic would that be? Our awesome QA team and producers are helping me push hard to make it happen by the weekend of the big promotion, no promises, but as always I’ll keep you updated on the progress."

-FourZeroTwo's blog

PacoDG said:
"Back from PAX means back to work, and while it’s a short week thanks to Labor Day it’s the one time I wish it wasn’t because I have a lot of stuff to get done. I’m currently working on getting everything organized and together for an upcoming Xbox Live / PSN promotion we have coming up the weekend of Sept. 12th - 14th. Which isn’t this weekend, but next weekend. I will have exact details on what it is in the near future but I have a gut feeling it’ll have Double XP attached to it for all those hungry for some power-leveling on Call of Duty 4.

Currently working on designing some Xbox Live banners to promote it on the marketplace and attempting to get everything together for it on our end. This promotion is technically unrelated to the new Playlists, but I won’t lie that my hope is to finish them up in time so that we can make it all one big promotion. How epic would that be? Our awesome QA team and producers are helping me push hard to make it happen by the weekend of the big promotion, no promises, but as always I’ll keep you updated on the progress."

-FourZeroTwo's blog

Reading between the lines here when I say this: 2-3 week delay for PS3 version. Ugh.

Top Bottom