• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

ethic

Apparently 1.6 Patch came out today or something. Almost
all of the servers I play on have already updated. However,
I bought the game over steam. just wondering if they'll update
it for me, or is this patch something I have to seek out from...
somewhere.

Also, what's this vicious rumour I hear about new NVidia maps
or something..? Is htis part of the update also?

omg.

btw, M16 + Silencer + Double Tap = SUPER FREAKIN AWESOME

ethic said:
Apparently 1.6 Patch came out today or something. Almost
all of the servers I play on have already updated. However,
I bought the game over steam. just wondering if they'll update
it for me, or is this patch something I have to seek out from...
somewhere.

Also, what's this vicious rumour I hear about new NVidia maps
or something..? Is htis part of the update also?

omg.

btw, M16 + Silencer + Double Tap = SUPER FREAKIN AWESOME

Yes, the Variety Map Pack (which includes 4 new maps) is part of the 1.6 Update that is available from NVIDIA or any mirrors who may of put it up.

Treo360

fourzerotwo said:
Yes, the Variety Map Pack (which includes 4 new maps) is part of the 1.6 Update that is available from NVIDIA or any mirrors who may of put it up.

Double XP in hardcore this time please?

About those new weapons . . . .

Treo360 said:
Double XP in hardcore this time please?

About those new weapons . . . .

Yes, Double XP in every playlists, we'll also be changing up the map rotation so that every map (new and old) has equal rotation.

kuYuri

Fourzerotwo, have you guys ever considered adding more slots for more custom classes? I really want to have more than five custom classes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hmmm... there is a Double EXP event going on right now right? Fourzerotwo said it a few posts above, but I thought it was PC only.

The Double XP is for all versions of CoD4, afaik. I am pretty sure my XP was doubled this morning while playing on PSN.

Just for shits and giggles they should release a weapon pack that features the guns from the original Call of Duty! I'd feel so cool running around with a Thompson or a BAR. :D

TDG

Banned
Hey guys, I'm only starting to get into COD4, I only play once or twice a week (I mainly play Halo 3 online, I'll likely play more COD4 when I'm done with Half-Life 2), would you guys recommend I get the map pack? Is it going to be free at some point? What maps are in it, and are they good?

Thanks.

kevm3

Don't worry about getting the map pack until you are solid at mastering the fundamentals and until youlearn the initial maps. No need buying extra maps if you aren't really enjoying the game and playing it all the time. Invest some time in the game and see if it's really for you before you buy.

raYne

the disgruntled gamer said:
Hey guys, I'm only starting to get into COD4, I only play once or twice a week (I mainly play Halo 3 online, I'll likely play more COD4 when I'm done with Half-Life 2), would you guys recommend I get the map pack? Is it going to be free at some point? What maps are in it, and are they good?

Thanks.
There's no point in buying it if you don't play that much to begin with. Just wait until you're bored of the default maps, then reconsider it.

Also, COD maps don't have a history of being free. Didn't happen with 2 or 3. So waiting for that to happen isn't really a sound plan.

ethic

raYne said:
Also, COD maps don't have a history of being free. So waiting for that to happen isn't really a sound plan.

The PC version just got 3 free maps, I believe. Chinatown, Broadcast
and something else.... I think.

TDG

Banned
raYne said:
There's no point in buying it if you don't play that much to begin with. Just wait until you're bored of the default maps, then reconsider it.

Also, COD maps don't have a history of being free. Didn't happen with 2 or 3. So waiting for that to happen isn't really a sound plan.
Okay, that's what I thought. I'm only starting to get into COD4, and I wasn't sure if I should buy the maps (I don't even know what all the current maps are), but if it turned out they are holy-shit-omg-amazing I was going to buy them.

Thanks guys. Oh, one more question: Is it possible to shoot down a helicopter with a rocket?

raYne

ethic said:
The PC version just got 3 free maps, I believe. Chinatown, Broadcast
and something else.... I think.
Right, but we arent talking about the PC version. At least, I don't think he is since he mentioned H3.

If it's the same as the console map pack, it's Chinatown, Broadcast, Creek and Kill House.

raYne

the disgruntled gamer said:
Thanks guys. Oh, one more question: Is it possible to shoot down a helicopter with a rocket?
Sure. You can shoot them down with normal weapons as well. Rockets are easier (two hits), but the flight path is pretty weird until you get used to it and you'll have to do it up close as a result.

Light Machineguns are a better choice because you can take 'em out in about 10 seconds from far greater distance with far more accuracy. You also don't have to waste a perk spot just to use them.

It's possible with the other weapons, but it takes quite a bit more time and ammo. So you would've revealed your location long ago and be taken out by someone while you're busy shooting at the chopper.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I just started to get into the online mode, and man. This shit is hella fun. I just had an awesome match. Really have to tip my hat off to whomever the poon guy was. I was busy running up and knifing people and sniping them from afar, and it would always seem like he was right there behind me. I managed second. Probably could have gotten first if I wasn't such a pussy when dealing with choppers. -_-

I hit a 41-7 on Countdown a few nights ago. First time I've ever broken the 40 barrier. Dolby headphone on that particular map gives me a nice little advantage. K/D ratio is sitting at 2.03 now.

todahawk

Spinning Plates said:
I hit a 41-7 on Countdown a few nights ago. First time I've ever broken the 40 barrier. Dolby headphone on that particular map gives me a nice little advantage. K/D ratio is sitting at 2.03 now.

k/d whore! :D
j/k! i used my headphone setup friday/saturday night and it did help on a few maps. not on shipment though, it was all explosions and air strikes. I got roughly 80/50. closest i came to breaking 100 in a bit.

went from 42 to 52 rank this weekend. got my m14 up to acog and played with the 50. had a few REALLY awful games last night. felt like i was in slow mo. almost quit after a particularly bad game of S&D where i finished 1/10.

finished the double xp weekend with some ffa and won three straight matches. either way, only got about 15 hours of sleep friday though sunday...

Oldschoolgamer

Yay. I leveled up my sniper class. Finally got the semi-auto sniper rifle. Man...this shit is addictive. Why doesn't the main game have this leveling system, or any other fps for that matter? -.-

Had some fun matches. I need to practice my sniper skills in places with close quarters. I got shutdown in wetworks because I can't see anyone. Places with open spaces and buildings and I'm golden. That is until someone stumbles onto me and its either A) Knife, B) Handgun, or C) See whose aim is better. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing an entirely different game, especially against dudes with sniper rifles themselves.

Frillen said:
So wasn't the double EXP just for the weekend? Why is it still there? I'm not complaining though, just keep it on IW :)

It'll be gone over the course of the next few hours. Updating the playlists now.

Nizz

Frillen said:
So wasn't the double EXP just for the weekend? Why is it still there? I'm not complaining though, just keep it on IW :)
Shhhhhhh.....

fourzerotwo said:
It'll be gone over the course of the next few hours. Updating the playlists now.
Too late...

ethic

So, like, I think I screwed up. I have the PC version of Call of Duty 4, which I bought off Steam. I just hit level 49 (I think. The level where you get access to the kick-ass .50cal Sniper Rifle). Anywho, I had stuff to do this weekend, and I'm sort of addicted to the MP. So I figured that if I "removed local content" through steam, it wouldn't be as easy for me to procrastinate.

I totally just dicked up my Rank & everything right? I'm going to have to start from scratch, ain't I? I don't think I want to do that. :(

saelz8

ethic said:
So, like, I think I screwed up. I have the PC version of Call of Duty 4, which I bought off Steam. I just hit level 49 (I think. The level where you get access to the kick-ass .50cal Sniper Rifle). Anywho, I had stuff to do this weekend, and I'm sort of addicted to the MP. So I figured that if I "removed local content" through steam, it wouldn't be as easy for me to procrastinate.

I totally just dicked up my Rank & everything right? I'm going to have to start from scratch, ain't I? I don't think I want to do that. :(
Don't think so.

Steam usually keeps all your game settings and saves in the directory, even when you uninstall.

You have to delete the folders to wipe it completely.

What you can do though, is go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common, and see if your COD4 folder is in there. See if your profile information is still in that folder.

Oldschoolgamer

Can you use custom classes and the like, in split screen mulitplayer? I'm going to grind my way to the .50 cal sniper and would love to be able to use it in splitscreen affairs against friends.

FiRez

Is there a problem with the PS3 version right now?

I choose the option find a game and it doesn't even show the game modes it only downloads my current ranking and that's it

I thought the message of the day was pretty funny and kinda cool in that Infinity Ward seems to worry about their mates in the industry.

"Lucasarts: Infinity Ward is hiring."

ok Question guys:

We got a tactical team, and we have our winning streak up to 27 -

So last night, we counted our wins to 30+ and then we finally met defeat.

Yet our streak stayed at 27. At one point we backed out of our lobby ... so was that our mistake, is that really what cause our streak to not count?

If so........ WTF IW...now your game is only 99% awesome.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks-

womfalcs3

Banned
Recently got this game, and here are my impressions (as Rayme requested).

Campaign

The game starts off with me as “Soap” and a tutorial to acclimate the user to the controls. The controls seem relatively intuitive; pretty compact actually. No need to push extra buttons to sprint, and changing stature (standing, kneeling, and crawling) is simple and varies based on length of the pressing period. Two attempts were required to complete the test run for me due to slow movement, so speed was obviously going to be a factor once I deploy into the theater. Shooting is satisfying, but where is rumble? Millions of fans left out.

The opening sequence on the ship is a thriller as I am forced to escape quickly as it is sinking. I then find myself to be playing as a leader in the Middle East just removed from power through violent means. I learn quickly that I will be playing as more than one character. I speak Arabic, and much of the dialog was spot-on. The frequent save points are great as I did not find myself having to repeat the intense firefights in which I was just involved, or the sneaking sequence that took me four or five tries to bypass. There is a great amount of enemies on screen, and the firefights do become heavy. The nighttime scene we have all seen prior to the game's release is much better experienced first-hand; that was one of the first of many experiences of guerrilla warfare in the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed the level where I have to use thermal imaging equipment to provide air support to ground troops. It looks very authentic; as it would look in reality. Speaking of which, the briefing sessions between levels also add to the authenticity of the game. There are a few epic moments, especially the one in the Middle East, in the game. With one of them, the debris, the collapsed and collapsing buildings, and the smoke far off in the distance are eye-popping; it is extremely immersible. The ultimate fate of two protagonists in the game is a bit saddening.

Moreover, the flashback level is a nice break from all the action. Looking back, it is one of my favorite levels in the game. Not because of the lack of action, but because of the amount of work that it requires. Visually, the game is impressive. It is not the best I have seen on consoles, but it is definitely up there. I do not want to put too much emphasis on the visuals, but such aspect of a game is still relevant. I feel like the static background images did detract from the draw distance a little bit.

Overall I love the game. It offers great variation in gameplay and a balanced mix between evacuation scenes, firefights, helicopter-manned shooting, and stealth. I have never experienced a Call of Duty installment until this one, thanks to Rayme. I realize Call of Duty 5 will be set in the Pacific theater of World War II, and I am looking forward to seeing what Infinity Ward has in store for us in the subsequent release. The modern warfare aspect of it is a great reason this game is so good. Much of the epic moments in the plot are derivatives of modern combat.

Multiplayer

I played a significant amount of online multiplayer. Since I received the Game of the Year Edition, I immediately went ahead and downloaded the map pack available. I had the chance to get some perks after some rounds played; I created a custom player where I chose to have upgraded health, two RPG's, and smoke grenades as my three perks. The lobby system is nice and streamlined. You see how you you got killed from the perspective of the opponent who killed you, and the respawn is pretty much instantaneous if you opt to skip it. I liked that; no time wasted for you to get back into the action. My connection is not that great, but the experience was flawless. Voice chat was fine, there was no lag, and it felt smooth overall.

Ledsen

womfalcs3 said:
Recently got this game, and here are my impressions (as Rayme requested). *snip*

You should try it on veteran (or maybe Hardened). It's super-hard, really unfair, frustrating and sometimes not even fun, but also very satisfying when you finish it. :D
I'll repost my impressions from another thread here:

Ledsen said:
The game is indeed awesome. I've played about 25 hours multi and just finished the campaign on veteran (only intel and TV:s left to 1000). The multi is pretty much flawless, and the campaign is insanely awesome. The only problem I have with it is that the game falls apart on higher difficulties. The enemies basically become walking mines, you walk around a corner and BAM! the psychic enemy with about 1 ms reaction time blows your head up and you don't even have time to see him until you're lying on the ground screaming at the fucking cheapness of it all. I got so pissed at the end of "One shot, one kill" that I almost threw my controller out of the window, but then I watched a video on Youtube and using the bumper car-tactic I finished it on the first try. Unfortunately not all levels have easy tactics you can use to win easily, instead you have to die and die and die and die, doing the exact same routine over and over.

Like I said I just finished veteran, and in the last level there was this corridor near the end (about 1/3 through
the countdown timer
) where you run up to see two guys going around a corner. After that there's a crossing corridor and enemies on all sides. I'm not kidding when I say that it took me about 1 hour to get to the next checkpoint (which is about 1-2 minutes away in game time). Every time the same, run around corner, pop running guy in head, dive forward into cover, grenade-launch guys in crossing corridors, run into right corridor, grenade-launch four guys... etc. It's insane because you can't look around corners to kill enemies, as soon as you see a glimpse of them you're already dead. The only way to kill these guys is to rapidly move right then left, exposing yourself for less than half a second and hopefully grenade-launching them in the face in the process. It's just not fun and like I said it feels like you're fighting walking trip mines.

Now that I'm done I'll do the Intel gathering on normal to avoid popping a vein.

I'll add that I loved the open levels (even on veteran), because you CAN use tactics to finish them even if the enemies are supernaturally aware of you at all times. The corridor levels, however, are different, because there's only one path you can take at any given time and there's always an enemy standing around the corner like a motion-sensitive turret, ready to kill you as soon as you show your toes.

womfalcs3

Banned
I actually played on recruit. :lol

I never play campaigns more than once. When I try, I get bored really quickly. I play the SP for the story, not the gameplay. Since I do like the gameplay, I've begun to play more online.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So, I finally caved in and bought COD 4, and needless to say, I'm really glad that I did. I think my initial hesitance was a combination of the fact that I was kind of tired of the COD series, and that I already had an "online" game that I put a lot of time into (Halo 3). Now I just feel stupid for missing out on this game for so long! Still, I don't really see any other game, COD5 included, dethroning it any time soon.

The campaign is awesome thus far, and is actually making me want to keep playing. In past COD games, I beat them "just because" and didn't really have much interest in the story, but that isn't the case here; COD4's story is pretty good, and the top-notch presentation really helps in that regard. The inclusion of modern war technology and new locales is just extremely refreshing for the series, and the graphics are fantastic; this is definitely the most atmospheric COD yet. And while I'm not one of those people who seems to hate Treyarch with every bone in their body, this game (and COD2, really) makes COD3 look like such a pile of crap that it's ridiculous. My main gripe with COD3 was the horrible collision detection; I lost count of how many times I got killed because I inexplicably got stuck on some rubble on the ground, or a dead character. I haven't experienced that at all in COD4 thus far.

And the multi-player is awesome, obviously. I just love how fast the match-making is, and how easy it is to get into a match; it makes getting into a game in Halo 3 feel painfully slow in comparison (even with the "quickest" match-making setting selected, it still takes ages). The stat tracking is great, and leveling-up is extremely gratifying; the character/class customization and all of the unlockables would be huge reason enough to buy this game for MP alone, which I'm sure tons of people did. I really applaud IW for going the whole nine with the online functionality, which features pretty much everything I could possibly ask for. I haven't been this across-the-board pleased with an online console shooter since SOCOM2, believe it or not. :lol

raYne

Strider2K99 said:
Rayne, I missed you during double EXP weekend. :(
I told you to send me a message if you see me online. You're always playing Assassin's Creed these days. :lol

When I quoted the double XP weekend back then it wasn't because of the XP itself, it was because of the changed map rotations. More XP doesn't interest me because Ill never go prestige. :D It didn't really mean that I'd be playing COD that weekend.

kuYuri

raYne said:
I told you to send me a message if you see me online. You're always playing Assassin's Creed these days. :lol

When I quoted the double XP weekend back then it wasn't because of the XP itself, it was because of the changed map rotations. More XP doesn't interest me because Ill never go prestige. :D It didn't really mean that I'd be playing COD that weekend.

You did? I don't remember this. :lol

I played alot of CoD4 that weekend, in addition to AC. AC was just the single player game I was putting some effort into because of the MGS4 hype. I already beat AC and just going for flags and Templars now.

raYne

Strider2K99 said:
You did? I don't remember this. :lol

I played alot of CoD4 that weekend, in addition to AC. AC was just the single player game I was putting some effort into because of the MGS4 hype. I already beat AC and just going for flags and Templars now.
What? It's still on this page (using 100 page view).

Strider2K99 said:
Want to play together this time?
raYne said:
Sure, if you see me online Fri/Sat send me an invite.
Strider2K99 said:
I'll definitely try. It sucks I have work this weekend.
^ Pfft...

v0yce

Ugg, I just popped in CoD4 after not playing it for quite some time and I'm getting the dreaded "downloading game settings" thing.

Is there a fix for this?

Top Bottom