• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

h3ro

permutated said:
I believe that it was confirmed when the NEXT map pack launches that this one will be made free, much like what they did with the Halo 3 packs.

I doubt Activision would allow CoD4 DLC maps to eat away at CoD5 sales. $60 for a new game or $10 for new maps of what is basically amounting to the same product that the intended audience already own. I don't think we'll see new maps for CoD4. Who knows though, stranger have happened in the gaming industry...

kuYuri

h3ro said:
I doubt Activision would allow CoD4 DLC maps to eat away at CoD5 sales. $60 for a new game or $10 for new maps of what is basically amounting to the same product that the intended audience already own. I don't think we'll see new maps for CoD4. Who knows though, stranger have happened in the gaming industry...

If CoD2 is any indication, we may see at least one more map pack, but who knows when.

I just went into my first Prestige last night, and I'm totally falling in love with the AK-47 and MP5. I can't believe I've never used these guns before.

neoism

permutated said:
Great intro, went downhill from there.

Pendulum sucks balls.

Nice use of solar fields,( got their Cd a few days ago and its fucking awesome!) and pendulum doesn't suck balls

oh, and whats with the double XP I'm not getting any?

Jack Scofield said:
I just went into my first Prestige last night, and I'm totally falling in love with the AK-47 and MP5. I can't believe I've never used these guns before.

Most of the best guns are available to you at Level 1. The only thing I really miss are my claymores when going up another prestige.

OldJadedGamer said:
I've played this game way more then I should have and have a couple of things that still piss me off like:

If I get dumped into a HQ game right when I search and it's a Wetwork game and I'm automatically losing 0-200, there is helicopter out when I first spawn... and I leave the game (the game counts it as a loss), then I search for another game, DON'T PUT ME IN THE SAME F'ING GAME I JUST QUIT OUT OF!!!!! I quit for a reason ok?

And this one goes with the first one... don't put in a match where the score is so obvious unbalanced against me. If you want to do this, at least put me on the winning team.
I hear you on quitting a match(Bloc for me) and then getting thrown right back into the same match. I think the matching system just looks for games that need to be balanced so if you exit and immediately search again, then chances are it's just trying to put you in a game that needs balancing. I just wait a 5 - 10 seconds now and the problem goes away.

The 2nd complaint is similar to the first. The reason you will tend to be put on the losing team I've found is because members of the losing team will quit out of the game. And so it might be 6 on 4 players in favour of the winning team so when you are thrown into the game, naturally you'll be put on the losing team. To put it another way, how likely are you to quit out of a game of HQ when your team is winning and capturing HQs a lot versus when you are losing and not capturing ever?

Fun weekend, got to play a decent amount, went up about 40 levels....*only* about 230 levels to go to 55 gold cross! :lol

h3ro said:
Isn't CoD5 going back to World War 2 era...and made by another company? I could be wrong on that one but I'm pretty sure it's WW 1 or 2 which to me will definitely be different. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a new map pack sometimes before the holiday season, that would rock. I think I'm in the minority but I actually like the map pack, especially China Town and Broadcast.

BigBlue1974 said:
Isn't CoD5 going back to World War 2 era...and made by another company? I could be wrong on that one but I'm pretty sure it's WW 1 or 2 which to me will definitely be different. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for a new map pack sometimes before the holiday season, that would rock. I think I'm in the minority but I actually like the map pack, especially China Town and Broadcast.

Yeah. Jack Bauer and Gary Oldman are going to be voice actors in the game as well. It uses the COD4 engine and is set in the Pacific and eastern fronts I believe. Online will have a similar ranking format.

roosters93 said:
Jack Bauer... isn't he a character in the TV show 24? lol
You know I noticed that too but only on the second time I read it. Kiefer Sutherland IS Jack Bauer so I guess in my mind I just translated that when I read it the first go round.

PacoDG

h3ro said:

Like 8 devs/workers on the game were playing the weekend and no on asked them if there weer more maps even possible!??!

I am on odd hours and was never online the same time the InfinityWard guys were on, I was ready to ask

Query: i have a ps3 in which i just installed a new hard drive. Will i have lost all my progress or is that stuff associated with my online ID as opposed to my save file?

CoG

notjackbauer said:
Query: i have a ps3 in which i just installed a new hard drive. Will i have lost all my progress or is that stuff associated with my online ID as opposed to my save file?

No but you'll probably lose your loadouts.

What I would like to know is when camping became a valid strategy to employ in CoD4. I'm not talking about an objective based mode, that I would understand, I'm talking about Team Deathmatch. Now I don't mean holding a position of advantage, be it highground, a chokepoint on the map, whatever, that would make sense. What I mean is finding a far, random corner of say Crossfire for example and having the entire team hide in it for the entirety of the match. All the while getting raped. Actually camping is the wrong word to use, it's too loaded. I'd describe that "strategy" as turtling. The team turtled in a corner.

BigBlue1974 said:
You know I noticed that too but only on the second time I read it. Kiefer Sutherland IS Jack Bauer so I guess in my mind I just translated that when I read it the first go round.
:D

That's pretty cool having Kiefer and Gary as voice actors.

Meh. I figured I'd dust the game off for the double XP weekend and go up another Prestige level, but I'm so out of practice and bad at it now it's taking foreveeeeeer. I'm already kind of bored with it after only 2 days too. I'm going to have to suffer though it until I hit level 55 again because I'm anal :( I wish I just left it alone. I liked the previous Prestige icon better too.

PacoDG

jaundicejuice said:
What I would like to know is when camping became a valid strategy to employ in CoD4. I'm not talking about an objective based mode, that I would understand, I'm talking about Team Deathmatch. Now I don't mean holding a position of advantage, be it highground, a chokepoint on the map, whatever, that would make sense. What I mean is finding a far, random corner of say Crossfire for example and having the entire team hide in it for the entirety of the match. All the while getting raped. Actually camping is the wrong word to use, it's too loaded. I'd describe that "strategy" as turtling. The team turtled in a corner.

Well, damn, I guess if you are going to go cheap, go all the way with it.

If I was on that team, I can imagine it would be a huge giggle fest about "ha, they can't get us in here" and blah blah. Surprised a few good grenades didn't take out the situation (then again I think on Crossfire there is some of those buildings which have lots of ins and outs to hide out in)

llTll

Banned
why my fucking cod4 on ps3 keep downloading game settings forever and never actully get the option to pick team death match or whatever ??

fuck you sony and COD4 PS3 team for this shitty online shit. been like this for while and many people in youtube posted this as well. happn randomly all the fucking time .

$%#$%#$ fuckers :/

I just turned on MP for the first time ever after beating the single player game last year. Does anyone have any recomedations for a total newb? I can barely even stand without getting killed. Argh!

indie85

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Uhh, if a team is stuck in a corner like that its because its exactly that, they're stuck there, just one of the symptoms of the shitty team balancing this game has. Trust me, you'll hate it if you're ever on the receiving end of it, literally shooting fish in a barrel.

Superblatt said:
I just turned on MP for the first time ever after beating the single player game last year. Does anyone have any recomedations for a total newb? I can barely even stand without getting killed. Argh!

Take your lumps and learn the maps, figure out what weapons/play-style appeal to you and tailor your custom classes to that. Also get really good with one of the early weapons if you plan on going through prestige all the time. I like using the mp5 navy myself but that's more of a close quarter weapon and that might not suit your style of play. The m16 with a grenade launcher ain't a bad way to start off, people will piss and moan about you using a noob tube but that's half the fun of using one.

UAV Jammer is a perk you unlock at level 11, that might be something you want to start using in a custom class while you figure out the maps, how people play them, how you like to play and what guns you'll want to use.

indie85 said:
Uhh, if a team is stuck in a corner like that its because its exactly that, they're stuck there, just one of the symptoms of the shitty team balancing this game has. Trust me, you'll hate it if you're ever on the receiving end of it, literally shooting fish in a barrel.

No, this wasn't an instance of the spawn system being shitty. These people actively hid in that one corner of the map from the very beginning to the very end. When they didn't spawn there, they worked their way there. There was one of two of their members roaming the map while the rest hid in the corner.

kevm3

If you keep getting killed, work on your defense. Stop running out in the open, up in the middle of maim streets. When moving, stick to the walls. COD4 isn't a fast twitch shooter. It's a position based shooter. You will win if you hit your enemy from an angle they are not expecting. Move stealthily, find cover, and LOOK.

USD

I switched my Perk 1 to Bomb Squad for most of my classes and I'm having a hard time giving it up. Of course its effectiveness varies based on the amount of Claymore/C4 usage, but it feels good to be able to charge in enemy territory and know the safe routes and when to make that quick step forward-step back through a doorway. The only real counter to Bomb Squad is to not use explosives at all. But I doubt any sniper (or other Claymore user) would be willing to give up on Claymores just because one person can get past them, so I'm still in business. :D

And holy shit, today I was mowing through people with the W1200. Pulling off a one-man shotgun rush feels so good. *bows before the awesome might of the Winchester*

kuYuri

USD said:
I switched my Perk 1 to Bomb Squad for most of my classes and I'm having a hard time giving it up. Of course its effectiveness varies based on the amount of Claymore/C4 usage, but it feels good to be able to charge in enemy territory and know the safe routes and when to make that quick step forward-step back through a doorway. The only real counter to Bomb Squad is to not use explosives at all. But I doubt any sniper (or other Claymore user) would be willing to give up on Claymores just because one person can get past them, so I'm still in business. :D

And holy shit, today I was mowing through people with the W1200. Pulling off a one-man shotgun rush feels so good. *bows before the awesome might of the Winchester*

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I always use Bomb Squad for S&D and Hardcore gametypes. It almost always saves me from a cheap claymore/C4 death, especially in a gametype like S&D where you live once.

Underrated perk I'd say, at least for these gametypes.

kevm3

There seriously needs to be some rebalancing mechanic after each round. There are rarely any 'good games'. For the most part, the score is almost always 750 to 490, a dominating performance by one team, or 750 to 250, a match of humiliation. There are rarely games that are 750 to 720, where you're like, man that was a close one, but we pulled it out!

When are the new playlists supposed to come out?.

kuYuri

kevm3 said:
There seriously needs to be some rebalancing mechanic after each round. There are rarely any 'good games'. For the most part, the score is almost always 750 to 490, a dominating performance by one team, or 750 to 250, a match of humiliation. There are rarely games that are 750 to 720, where you're like, man that was a close one, but we pulled it out!

I've had my close game moments. Happens often enough for me at least.

As for playlists, it seems even fourzerotwo on his blog has stopped mentioning any updates about it because he doesn't want to keep hyping it up without giving a firm release, so it's basically a "it will come out when it's ready" situation.

USD

kevm3 said:

There is rebalancing, though it may not be overly effective. Most games aren't of the "down to the wire" type, but usually every several games there are some pretty close matches.

RavenFox

Banned
llTll said:
why my fucking cod4 on ps3 keep downloading game settings forever and never actully get the option to pick team death match or whatever ??

fuck you sony and COD4 PS3 team for this shitty online shit. been like this for while and many people in youtube posted this as well. happn randomly all the fucking time .

$%#$%#$ fuckers :/
lol dude you have me in tears

USD

That's lame. Once you have more than 200,000 shots hit, your accuracy turns negative. In a way though it's good, it filters out all those low level guys with 3 shots fired and 100% accuracy. I'm second from the bottom on the list, meaning out of all XBL players with over 200,000 shots hit, I'm the second best in the world (more like second worst amirite). :lol

PacoDG

Oh man. I had one of my funnest deathmatch games a little while ago. I hate Bog (not as much as Bloc, but still I beg people to veto every time). Since no one was going to join my veto party, I decided to not quit out and just try to enjoy it... so I played the whole match laying down. Just me and my RPD moving around great distances on my belly. Ended up only dying a few times, had over 10 kills, and gained the respect of my team for enduring the slowest paced game ever.

This has just topped out me and my friends playing Sabotage on Bloc and taking the bomb to the pool and staying there the whole 20 minutes on defense (a predictable and sad thing to do on that level, I know).

I know it hasn't been that long since the map pack was released but I already feel like we need more new maps. Most of the map pack isn't very good, especially for the high price of ten bucks.

Why don't we have more maps? Of course IW is working on their next big thing (CoD6?) but surely they could pump out a few more maps. If nothing else, convert some maps that the PC community have already created! That is one thing that will always keep the PC version of FPS games the superior version. Not the graphics, not the mouse/keyboard, but the staggering amount of good, quality, FREE maps.

I have a bad feeling Activision may be wanting to keep CoD4 down and hush so CoD5 can get as much spotlight as it can. CoD4 has already made them tons of money, why worry about continuing support of the community?

Sure the updated playlists are coming, and that is a very nice and welcome addition and will definitely revitalize the community. Hardcore mode should be the norm, IMO. But MAPS, MAPS, MAPS should be what we get too.

PacoDG

blindrocket said:
I have a bad feeling Activision may be wanting to keep CoD4 down and hush so CoD5 can get as much spotlight as it can.

I believe this to be true. I know we are going to get more playlists, but I don't know how much more we will get after that :(

blindrocket said:
I know it hasn't been that long since the map pack was released but I already feel like we need more new maps. Most of the map pack isn't very good, especially for the high price of ten bucks.

Why don't we have more maps? Of course IW is working on their next big thing (CoD6?) but surely they could pump out a few more maps. If nothing else, convert some maps that the PC community have already created! That is one thing that will always keep the PC version of FPS games the superior version. Not the graphics, not the mouse/keyboard, but the staggering amount of good, quality, FREE maps.

I have a bad feeling Activision may be wanting to keep CoD4 down and hush so CoD5 can get as much spotlight as it can. CoD4 has already made them tons of money, why worry about continuing support of the community?

Sure the updated playlists are coming, and that is a very nice and welcome addition and will definitely revitalize the community. Hardcore mode should be the norm, IMO. But MAPS, MAPS, MAPS should be what we get too.

It is strange when you look at the crazy amount of extra maps they released for COD2 all the while they were working on COD4. Showing from past experience with the developer, it does look where this is a situation where the publisher is holding them back.

Actiblizzard is the new EA confirmed?

And now that I think about it, I remember Infinity Ward promoting a map making contest (even in the console version of the game) in that little "tip box" you see in the multiplayer game.
Using the PC version of the game to do this of course, but by promoting it in the console versions, I assume that the winners of the contest would get thier maps in all versions of the game.
I really hope that pans out because in the past there have been some really creative maps from the Call of Duty mapping community.

Occasionally, my game will stay at the "setting up game" screen for an abnormally long time (at least 30 seconds, in some cases). I know it's hard to tell, but is this a problem with my game or is it something to do with loading information from the host?

Nizz

Jack Scofield said:
Occasionally, my game will stay at the "setting up game" screen for an abnormally long time (at least 30 seconds, in some cases). I know it's hard to tell, but is this a problem with my game or is it something to do with loading information from the host?
Is this the PS3 version you're talking about? I've had a couple of times where "downloading game settings" happened to me. Not super long, but at least a couple of seconds. And I doubt that updated playlists with Hardcore Free For All and other stuff will be coming soon, considering COD5 is just around the corner and I guess ActiBlizz don't want to eat into/steal away potential COD5 customers by having people flock back to COD4. Just my 2cents...

fps fanatic said:
Is this the PS3 version you're talking about? I've had a couple of times where "downloading game settings" happened to me. Not super long, but at least a couple of seconds. And I doubt that updated playlists with Hardcore Free For All and other stuff will be coming soon, considering COD5 is just around the corner and I guess ActiBlizz don't want to eat into/steal away potential COD5 customers by having people flock back to COD4. Just my 2cents...

No, I'm playing on 360. I guess it won't hurt to run the disc through a cleaner, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. Sometimes when I finally get into the game someone will have already scored, even though I was in the pregame lobby with everyone else.

kuYuri

Jack Scofield said:
No, I'm playing on 360. I guess it won't hurt to run the disc through a cleaner, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. Sometimes when I finally get into the game someone will have already scored, even though I was in the pregame lobby with everyone else.

Don't immediately go into Xbox Live option after you pick the Multiplayer option from main menu. Wait about 10 seconds then pick Xbox Live.

DoomGyver

So I just bought COD4 game of the year edition for x360 and it didn't come with the code insert for the free map pack. WTF, did they stop doing this or did I just get screwed?

Full Recovery said:
So I just bought COD4 game of the year edition for x360 and it didn't come with the code insert for the free map pack. WTF, did they stop doing this or did I just get screwed?

I'm pretty sure they stopped with the codes. I was confused when my copy was missing codes, as well, and this was a few months ago.

HolyStar

Banned
Well, this game is holding quite nicely still. I wonder why this thread just died. With WaW coming up, I am playing this to get warmed up.

HolyStar said:
Well, this game is holding quite nicely still. I wonder why this thread just died. With WaW coming up, I am playing this to get warmed up.
There's been virtually nothing new for the console versions since the disappointing map pack. When are we getting new playlist? I've spent almost a year with the same lameass one (I want Team Tactical HC damnit!)

unomas

Banned
I just got back into COD 4 in the last 2-3 weeks after looking at my miserable kill death ratio of .67 and deciding that was uttterly pathetic :lol I only play team deathmatch and have been having fun with it, I was playing earlier today and 70,000 plus people were online playing so the game is far from dead. As of today I'm up to .84 and climbing (hoping for 1.0), and it's definitely well worth it. I figure I'll stop when I hit level 55, and by that time Gears 2 will be out.

Ugh, I've had some absolutely terrible games these past two days. Maybe I should stop experimenting with weapons and go back to my tried-and-true custom classes.

What's the general consensus on the G3? Or any single shot rifle, for that matter? I understand people like using it for precise shots, but the M16 seems to be better in that regard, not to mention a bit more versatile. It doesn't help that the G3 sounds like a peashooter, either.

Top Bottom