• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

The problem is World at War looks like it will be fuck awesome.

I think if my suspicions are indeed correct, if World at War receives no support outside of one map pack between its release and the release of the next Infinity Ward CoD I'm jumping off of this franchise train. I'm not expecting Counter-Strike-like longetivity out of Modern Warfare but compare CoD4 to a peer on Live like Halo 3 or Gears of War. It's kind of shameful really.

jaundicejuice said:
I don't think Activision is interested in generating and perpetuating a community around any one Call of Duty given that it's basically a yearly franchise now. Modern Warfare users are getting a new map pack and even a mod for the campaign, it's called Call of Duty: World at War and you'll pay 60$ for it.

One map pack was enough to keep us interested and playing until the next Call of Duty came out. The lack of content support is probably a subtle prod to get users to move on to the next flavor of the month. Same thing will probably happen with World at War.

Sadly I kind of agree. They really left money on the table by not doing more map packs. I get that they want to move the team over to the next game but for a game this popular it was absolutely criminal to only release one map pack. That being said I'm there day one for COD 5. I'll probably wait on COD:WAW and pick it up used sometime next year to tide me over until COD 5.

I'm actually happy that World at War didn't "bite" me like COD4 did. I'll be playing COD4 for at least another year, and I'm not too concerned with the player base leaving for WaW.

Snipers are awesome, I love to sneak up on them and either shank them or shoot them in the back of the head with a silenced mp5 navy.

I got up to 4th Level Prestige (mostly though pure TDM), forget what level exactly, with the PS3 version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare before I got pissed off about its various issues and traded it in. Eventually I bought the Game of the Year edition for the 360 because of Live's functionality in dealing with other players and had a second honeymoon of sorts (almost up to second level Prestige) which is now fast ending. I know that new playlists are coming but quite frankly that's too, little too late. Three new maps (which most people seem to love skipping along with Bloc, Pipeline and Downpour) is not enough. I'm looking at trading in Modern Warfare for World at War myself. If the pattern repeats then I'll simply pass on the next Call of Duty.

Jack Scofield said:
I hate snipers, especially when they insist on sniping on every goddamn map. Seriously guys, try out another weapon once in awhile. :mad:

i use between the m402a3 (the first sniper rifle) and the ak 47.

oh btw so using the ak 47 without any attachments really do more damage? I always have a silencer on...

alba

Little is the new Big
salva said:

oh btw so using the ak 47 without any attachments really do more damage? I always have a silencer on...

Silencer = less range, no red dot on the radar when you shoot.

salva said:

Yes, I believe the AK 47 without attachments does do more damage. I believe it was confirmed in the PC version, I'm not sure about others. Hopefully it gets either fixed or the stats for it become fixed in the next patch as the AK 47 is my favorite assault rifle.

Sushen

alba said:
Silencer = less range, no red dot on the radar when you shoot.
That's what's on paper, but in real life, it always take another bullet to kill one. I'm not a sneaky kind of guy anyway, and prefer full frontal assaults.

BlinkGT

jaundicejuice said:
I don't think Activision is interested in generating and perpetuating a community around any one Call of Duty given that it's basically a yearly franchise now. Modern Warfare users are getting a new map pack and even a mod for the campaign, it's called Call of Duty: World at War and you'll pay 60$ for it.

One map pack was enough to keep us interested and playing until the next Call of Duty came out. The lack of content support is probably a subtle prod to get users to move on to the next flavor of the month. Same thing will probably happen with World at War.
I agree, but i thing this not happen with World at War because COD6 will be a very different game, this is not the case with COD4/COD WaW.

So the gamers will jump, even if Treyarch releases some map packs.

Actually, a lot of people still prefer COD4 so IW would kill COD WaW with new COD4 map packs.

Two quick questions:

What do the dog tags next to a person's name signify? And do I still get EXP if the game ends because of "connection interrupted"? (You know, when it shows the ethernet cable unplugged.)

Ramirez

Jack Scofield said:
Two quick questions:

What do the dog tags next to a person's name signify? And do I still get EXP if the game ends because of "connection interrupted"? (You know, when it shows the ethernet cable unplugged.)

Don't the dog tags mean the player is dead? Seems like I remember them popping up in the no respawn gametypes.

Ramirez said:
Don't the dogtags mean the player is dead?

Ah, that may be it. I only notice it during postgame, so I'm sure it's possible that those players were dead when the game ended.

And the M14 is damn awesome, if only because of the absolutely fierce sound it makes. Love it!

Accident

Jack Scofield said:
Two quick questions:

And do I still get EXP if the game ends because of "connection interrupted"? (You know, when it shows the ethernet cable unplugged.)

Most of the time you do get EXP, check the last game summary by pressing Y or triangle.

snap0212

blame space said:
Nobody buy WaW. Let's send them a message.

My guess is that a lot of people who love Modern Warfare will buy WaW, play it for a few days/a week and then go back to Call of Duty 4.

Jack Scofield said:
I hate snipers, especially when they insist on sniping on every goddamn map. Seriously guys, try out another weapon once in awhile. :mad:

It depends on what kind of sniper you are. If you're just lying on the floor the whole game waiting for someone, then I hate them. If they are running around, doing quickscopes or noscopes, I'm actually really impressed.

Jack Scofield said:
And the M14 is damn awesome, if only because of the absolutely fierce sound it makes. Love it!
Yeah it's a great gun. Once I killed three or four guys trying to rush me through a doorway with it. It's not the best close range weapon, but it's extreme power makes up for any weakness. I really missed the M1 Garand from the WW2 Call of Dutys, so it was great to get its descendant in COD4. I miss it because I went prestige the second time and I'm still leveling up to get it back.

snap0212

Jack Scofield said:
And do I still get EXP if the game ends because of "connection interrupted"? (You know, when it shows the ethernet cable unplugged.)

As far as I know, you don't get your EXP... Just leave the game very fast (before you get kicked out) and it'll work.

PacoDG

salva said:

If the chart here is right, I think it is the only gun that does less damage with silencer on (same with using the AK and red dot on).

The range is pretty reduced as well.

J1000

PacoDG said:
If the chart here is right, I think it is the only gun that does less damage with silencer on (same with using the AK and red dot on).

Wow, that chart confirms the dominance of the Skorpion. (In addition to what the chart shows, it has almost zero recoil, and great sights.)

A question: An accompanying chart (earlier in this thread, I don't have the link on me) said Double Tap increase the fire rate by 125%. Does this mean 1.25 times the normal rate, or does this mean 2.25 times the normal rate?

unomas

Banned
I just can't see the userbase of COD 4 shrinking that much with the relase of WAW. I've finally hit level 55 and have the option to prestige but I don't want to until my kd ratio is at least 1.0. I'm actually at .99 now from my previously abysmal .67. At one point I was -650 kills...ouch! Now I'm -36 from being even.

Nizz

Well, it was a year ago today that I picked up this game and I'm still playing the multiplayer (PS3). I jumped back into this early this morning, about 1:00 am Eastern. I hopped into a couple of matches since Far Cry 2 has a save bug and turns out it affected me. I almost forgot how much fun and how good the multiplayer of this game is. From the controls to the sensitivity and dead zone of the sticks, to the graphics. I've never sunk as much time into the multiplayer of a game like I have with COD 4. The closest was maybe Resistance and Rainbow Six:Vegas.

DarkJC

snap0212 said:
It depends on what kind of sniper you are. If you're just lying on the floor the whole game waiting for someone, then I hate them. If they are running around, doing quickscopes or noscopes, I'm actually really impressed.

So if they play like a real sniper, screw them. If they play like a twitch FPS arcade sniper, SO PRO.

It takes a lot of patience to be a Sniper. Patience is something I don't have. I run and gun, and I might have a sniper rifle as a secondary to reach far away people easier.

Saiyu

n1fbys.jpg

DarkJC said:
So if they play like a real sniper, screw them. If they play like a twitch FPS arcade sniper, SO PRO.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, if they kill you, they kill you. A guy who sits in one place is either not going to kill very many people, or vulnerable to countersnipe, and is always vulnerable to a UAV. A guy who moves around and kills people is giving you a fair shake at killing him, so no big deal there either.

Hardcore might be a different story though....

snap0212 said:

That's neat and all, but when he fires from the hip, it's still completely random. This isn't Halo, you can't really no scope, but you can get lucky.

digital

Banned
PacoDG said:

That chart should be accurate on the stats of the weapons. I looked at the weapon files on the PC version a while back and they matched up with the chart when I compared them.

snap0212

PedroLumpy said:
That's neat and all, but when he fires from the hip, it's still completely random. This isn't Halo, you can't really no scope, but you can get lucky.

There are some "tricks" to do it. Really, you can practice and you'll get better and better. Sure, not every bullet goes straight but you can increase the accuracy a lot if you do some of those techniques.

snap0212 said:
There are some "tricks" to do it. Really, you can practice and you'll get better and better. Sure, not every bullet goes straight but you can increase the accuracy a lot if you do some of those techniques.

Well help me out, what sort of techniques?

J1000

snap0212 said:
Yeah, like putting a tiny spec of tape on the center of your monitor, and using a console which has auto-aim.

He was still doing good though. He's good at zooming & firing in one motion. (Again, a bit of tape helps.)

snap0212

J1000 said:
Yeah, like putting a tiny spec of tape on the center of your monitor, and using a console which has auto-aim.
Have you ever tried no-scoping? Putting some tape on your TV/Monitor won't help you, since the bullet does not go straight most of the time. Maybe it could help you a little bit just that you can see where the bullet would hit, but I can't believe some people are actually doing such things. And auto-aim doesn't really help you either when your target it more than 20 feet away.

PedroLumpy said:
Well help me out, what sort of techniques?
There are some tutorials up on Youtube, watch them. Some little things like changing your weapon really fast just before you're about to shoot help me a lot. What system are you playing on, btw?

snap0212 said:
There are some tutorials up on Youtube, watch them. Some little things like changing your weapon really fast just before you're about to shoot help me a lot. What system are you playing on, btw?

360, I was just thinking how gamepad vs. mouse and keyboard might affect no scopeing shenanigans.

I checked out those tutorials, seems like they're all based around the same idea that just as you start & stop moving, your aim is perfect from the hip.

Hard to say how practical it is, most of the demo videos are in private matches. Thinking back, I can only think of one moment where I think this was done to me. I'm not even sure if they guy meant to either.

I played through my roomate's copy of this in Single Player when it came out and kind of hated the single player..

But the CoD5 multiplayer beta was so good that I went and picked up CoD4.. Put like 5 hours into the mulitplayer the past few days.. It's really good! :lol

Guess better late than never?

Are they ever planning on making that Map Pack free? I'm doing fine without it, but if I get some points on the cheap I might consider it.

borsdy

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
Are they ever planning on making that Map Pack free? I'm doing fine without it, but if I get some points on the cheap I might consider it.
I doubt it will but there is always the possibly they will make it free. Personally, I wish I never bought it because I've always been matched with godlike lvl55ers since I got it.

PacoDG

I dont' feel like the majority, but I love the map pack. All three of the bigger maps rule, and the small map... is a small map, I have no feeling toward it either way.

Chinatown is one of my favorite maps and everyone skips it :(

Broadcast too :(

(Snipers love Creek so never skip)

Yeah but I'm new and I'm enjoying the players I'm being matched with, so unless it goes free and everyone can use it, I'll avoid being matched with level 50 players! Could suck all the fun out!

Nizz

snap0212 said:
"I hate them" were the wrong words, I guess. I'm just more impressed of snipers if they play like "twitch FPS arcade snipers" :)lol). Yeah, that's my opinion.

This Video for example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxAc1ZdRrVU
It just makes me "WOW" every time I see it.
God damn! He's nice! He can't be playing at the default sensitivity? It must be a notch or two higher. I play at 3 right now, just above default. It helps me to react to other people faster, while still steady enough to not sacrifice aim. This guy is pretty amazing!

Jel0man

Lowest prices in Holland (euro):

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 58.99
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: GOTY Edition 53.91
Call of Duty: World at War 51.21

I've never seen anything like this before I think:lol.

snap0212

fps fanatic said:
God damn! He's nice! He can't be playing at the default sensitivity? It must be a notch or two higher. I play at 3 right now, just above default. It helps me to react to other people faster, while still steady enough to not sacrifice aim. This guy is pretty amazing!

As far as I know he's playing on 6. That's what I heard a few months ago. I play on 8, it's perfect for me. :)

Maps for 2player mode.

any way of getting these maps that I downloaded from PSN store to work in multiplayer against my brother" 2player mode"

snap0212

robertsan21 said:
Maps for 2player mode.

any way of getting these maps that I downloaded from PSN store to work in multiplayer against my brother" 2player mode"

Yeah, should work. My second controller doesn't work anymore, but when you choose to play offline (split-screen), go to the setup menu, "change map" and at the bottom of the list should be some kind of "bonus map"-thing. I dunno if this is exactly how it works... Try it. :)

snap0212 said:
Yeah, should work. My second controller doesn't work anymore, but when you choose to play offline (split-screen), go to the setup menu, "change map" and at the bottom of the list should be some kind of "bonus map"-thing. I dunno if this is exactly how it works... Try it. :)

nope nothing there..

I still have the same maps, last one on the list is wet level... tanker.

I just downloaded the map pack again without any luck of getting new maps in 2player mode!

I deleted every Call of duty 4 thing I could find now and am downloading it all over again!!!

fuck if this doesnt work I will be angry

Top Bottom