• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

f@luS

More than a member.
Just played a bit on both , i will post pics + better impression later today, still 3 hours to work ! (it was my lunch time)

Icy

Banned
PC server is now online. Please see the Call of Duty 4 MP Thread that is linked under my NeoGAF user name :)

Insaniac

I really want to pick this up... but I'm still very absorbed with Halo 3, should I wait, or can i not expect any sort of price drop in the next few months? (thinking of doing that circuit city deal)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait a minute, if the soundtrack is in Dolby Digital, it should downmix it to however many speakers you have.

Only if the game was pumping out 6.1 LPCM (on the PS3) would you lose the sixth channel if you didn't have it as PCM doesn't downmix.

JB1981

Lince said:
that's wrong on both accounts, after renting and playing through the PS3 version of GRAW 2 I can honestly say the framerate in Campaign mode was much, much worse than the 360 ver (specially in the later levels) and it lacked some effects, I didn't touch the MP though.

back on topic:

what about framerate? thanks
i have found some very very slight 'stuttering' on the ps3 version. i think it's the game loading the level data, though.

maybe the blu-ray seek times are every so slightly slower than those on the 360? not sure. ps3-only owners honestly cannot go wrong here. the game looks great (a little softer looking with some lower res textures than 360 version imo) but it runs great, the online set-up is excellent (everything functioned perfectly last night, mic quality is excellent, uses xmb friend's list, community was chatting). The first thing I heard from peoples' mouths on PSN last night was "god, this is so much better than Warhawk!" :lol

I think the game will do well on PS3. In fact, I think it's going to be PS3's best selling game this fall.

Torgo

Single-Player:
I'm about 1 1/2 hours in, and it's very immersive. It's the same basic formula, you are put into the shoes of, I think it's 3 different soldiers. The tech really helps pull you into the experience, and IW does an incredible job telling a story. The level design, control, sound, graphics, everything are all top-notch (I wish I had surround sound right now :-( )

Multi-player:
I played online for a good 4 hours last night and WOW! The game is insanely deep online. The fact that most modes, weapons, and perks have to be unlocked instead of being available right away is great. It makes the person play the game and get better at it before they jump in to a lot of the material. It also makes some matches very frenetic since only higher-level players are in them.

IW has definitely set a new bar for Tech, and it's going to be tough to reach. The tech makes the game a lot more immersive, which in turn really pulls you in and allows you to enjoy it much more. The fact that you can shoot through some walls, and actually have shots ricochet is crazy, and really makes you think differently in terms of how you play this game.

So far, this is my pick for Game of the Year for Cross-Platform.

RavenFox

Banned
JB1981 said:
Graphics are simply unreal. But so far the game is pretty boring. I feel like I'm watching most of it happen. I'm playing the 360 version because it looks better.

PS3 version sounds better and looks spectacular as well, though.

J-Rez, need any players for multi? I wanna try this out on PSn.

My tag is Beamber. Let me know, I have to get to bed soon :D

I don't know if someone responded to you or not but I see you have an itch that needs to be scratched. Sony Bravia 1080p set. My PS3 copy and my friends 360 copy. Both games are drooling drop dead gorgeous BUT my trolling FOS friend there are areas of the game where the PS3 has the edge in, yes, can we say it ..Textures and lighting. Its called building the game from the ground up to take advantage of the console. Also theres really no need to compress the hell out of your textures if your using bluray. Think sometimes. Sorry gaf.
Online is smoooth also.
Goddamn the M95 Barett used close to the end of the sniper mission was sic. When he said you have to remember the coriolis effect I knew this shit was special.

sprocket

Banned
f@luS said:
I will , later today (back to work right now, just had my one hour break !)

Is that so unbelievable that the 2 games are looking that close?

No that you bought 2 versions of the same game you weirdo! ;)

ehh I've done it before too.

sprocket

Banned
dark10x said:
So, wait, does the 360 version look superior or not? The reports are conflicting.

NO. they are too close to tell. It all comes down to controller preference. and online experience. pay to play or not.

belvedere

Junior Butler
After seeing them both side-by-side at EB, they looked pretty damn close. There may have been magic worked into the AF on the PS3 version similar to what Bethesda did with Oblivion, as it seemed like the textures were sharper at a distance on the PS3 version.

Insaniac said:
I really want to pick this up... but I'm still very absorbed with Halo 3, should I wait, or can i not expect any sort of price drop in the next few months? (thinking of doing that circuit city deal)

I really enjoyed Halo 3, and I absolutely loved BioShock but after spending a couple hours with COD4 last night, I've got to say that this is likely to be my GOTY. Oh my God is this game brilliant! Each time I would think (or actually say out loud) "Fuck, that's AMAZING!" within a few minutes, I'd be floored again. Beautiful buttery smooth visuals, super tight gameplay and an edge of your seat story...wow what a package!

If you enjoy the FPS genre in the least, you owe it to yourself to pick Infinity Ward's masterpiece up. EVERYONE does.

As far as the Circuit City deal goes, you couldn't pay me to play through that train wreck Treyarch smeared the Call of Duty name with again. But I understand, it's a free game.

Run, don't walk to get this game. You'll thank me and everyone else on here telling you just how wonderful COD4 is.

Did anyone else notice the 3 in the lower right corner of the Infinity Ward logo on the main menu? I thought that was a nice little nod to what is the rightful third game in the series.

JdFoX187

Banned
dark10x said:
So, wait, does the 360 version look superior or not? The reports are conflicting.
I would say the conflicting information lends me to believe they're both exactly the same, which is great.

Pug

JdFoX187 said:
I would say the conflicting information lends me to believe they're both exactly the same, which is great.

You think thats going to stop them? I'm sure were in for a thread load of my textures are better than your textures and god knows what else.

RavenFox

Banned
GauntletFan said:
Textures are compressed to fit into memory. It has nothing to do with storage space.
Yup we're off and that wasn't my point friend. Also this is not the thread to go into why PS3 games can use higher res textures.

RSTEIN said:
Ahh jesus forget it. Lets just enjoy the game. So anyone tweaked out a gun of their choice yet?

JdFoX187 said:

Exactly. If there's no definitive conclusion by now, with people actually buying copies of both versions, then they both rock socks, end of story.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cerrius said:
seems like it's always the PS3 owners who start the argument :lol
People want to know whether or not it's safe to buy the game on PS3. I made the mistake of buying The Darkness on PS3 and had to deal with a difficult return process. I don't want to do that again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I almost wish one version were vastly inferior so that I could stop hearing this sillibicker.

Pug

dark10x said:
People want to know whether or not it's safe to buy the game on PS3. I made the mistake of buying The Darkness on PS3 and had to deal with a difficult return process. I don't want to do that again.

Dark I think its obvious now that both versions can live with each other quite happily. So its down to controller type and personal taste.

Torgo

It hasn't run at 1080p for me, even though the box says it supports that resolution.

No framerate issues here though (PS3 version)

It's smooth as butter

sprocket

Banned
dark10x said:

Most games/demos that have come out recently have been just as good on the ps3. The days of the bare min ports are coming to an end.

sprocket said:
NO. they are too close to tell. It all comes down to controller preference. and online experience. pay to play or not.

And community. Whether you want to believe it or not, there will be a lot more people playing the 360 version. And more of them are likely to be using headsets (for better or worse).

JdFoX187

Banned
PnCIa said:
I want to see good comparision pictures before i buy this one.
WOW

They're the same...do you really need comparison pics? The only differences you'll find is what your mind makes you see.

RavenFox

Banned
Ragnarok10 said:
Is anyone running this at 1080p from the PS3 into a 1080p TV? Any framerate issues?
Sony Bravia kicks back to 720p when the game starts on my friends set. Its a native 1080p set by the way. No framerate issues running in 1080i for me.

Ragnarok10

Pug said:
Isn't it 720p? Might upscale to 1080 but I thought it was 720p native.
It is 720p native but since I have a 1080p TV it's going to end up at 1080p regardless. I figure it may be better to upscale on the PS3 end where it has some knowledge on the type of content that it's upscaling vs. letting my TV upscale where it will upscale everything the same way.

Torgo

You win on either system. If you are choosing between platforms, Graphics etc shouldn't be the determining factor, especially since they are virtually identical in technical terms.

I am incredibly happy with it on PS3, because I like that controller more, and I have a bigger friends list on PS3. We really had no issues inviting friends to matches etc, and voice works very well. No lag at all in any match either, and I probably played online for about 3 to 4 hours last night.

With me, my 360 is being shipped to me from MS (my 3rd 360) To be brutally hoenst, I have no faith in my 360 hardware any more, and a multi-platform game that's done this well will always be a PS3 purchase for me, since I have 100% trust in my PS3 to be stable and not die.

belvedere

Junior Butler
AdmiralViscen said:
Does this game have online co op?

idiot.jpg

FirewalkR

Aaah fuck this, you people are really going to make me buy BOTH console versions just to compare them, aren't you???

PS: Also, I wanted the PS3 version because my friends have PS3's but... I'll curse you IW till the end of eternity (and guess what, there ain't none!) for not releasing a PS3 Collector's Edition, one more reason for me to buy both damn damn damn
me for being a stupid consumer
PPS: Anyone knows what that special perk/something/whatever for PS3 was?

I'm cooling down now.

sprocket

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Aaah fuck this, you people are really going to make me buy BOTH console versions just to compare them, aren't you???

Do not do that. I am sure demos will be out before Christmas.

calder

I refuse to scroll through the past couple of pages of bitchiness, but has ANYONE in Canada found this game yet? I'm getting calls here at work from annoyed friends who claim it's not out today at all but "maybe" tomorrow based on which store they talk to.

If I have to wait another day I'm going to be pissed. :|

FirewalkR

sprocket said:
Do not do that. I am sure demos will be out before Christmas.

I was really tempted till i read your level-headed response :lol

It's gonna have to be the PS3 version coz of my friends. And if some people say it's better in the 360 and others in the PS3, it's gotta be that close. :) I just hope that if a PS3 CE never comes out, i'll still be able to find a 360 one in a few months. (curse you IW, ya hear me???)

RavenFox

Banned
FirewalkR said:
I was really tempted till i read your level-headed response :lol

It's gonna have to be the PS3 version coz of my friends. And if some people say it's better in the 360 and others in the PS3, it's gotta be that close. :) I just hope that if a PS3 CE never comes out, i'll still be able to find a 360 one in a few months. (curse you IW, ya hear me???)

Thats what bugs me. They could have easily put it on the same disc and have two skus if they wanted..

Top Bottom