• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hammer said:
When I attempted to pick up cod4/cod3 at Circuit City yesterday, I was informed that they would not honor the deal before 2pm (contrary to the online ad, yet printed on the in-store one.) This was from a West Coast retailer as well. So.. you may want to call first to save yourself two trips. Please post your findings on the 30% off "glitch," this is the first I have heard of it!

I'll be heading over after work, if there are any left. If not, Circuit City damn well better give me a rain check.

I hope not. BTW, the glitch is confirmed, receipt scans are floating on CAG and there's at least 3 different locations that have gotten the glitch.

Sh0k

Wario64 said:
Someone is saying Circuit City has a glitch that knocks off $30 from the COD4 price, making the game $30 for both COD4 and COD3. wtf.

I'm in Miami and I just went to Circuit City and they still don't have the game in stock. Their ad says that's available today by 2:00pm. Don't they have a guarantee that if the game is not there by their advertised date an hour, they give you a $20. gift certificate ?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
RSTEIN said:
It depends if you like kicking people when they're down or if you like to help people during times of crisis.

You hate the Bills and like to see them suffer = Buy the 360 version.

You think it's totally awesome that Detroit has the Pistons, Lions, and renewed investment in its downtown core = Buy the PS3 version.
thanks. this has made the decision easier. I hate detroit.

still undecided..

Cheech

borghe said:
ok, so here's a question for you guys.

I have a PS3. I have a 360. I don't have any friends who are picking this up. I am not interested in the collector's version. I like both controllers. Which one do I buy?

Are you going online at all? There will be more people online (and with headsets) on the 360 version. Otherwise, buy the PS3 version to keep the 3rd party publishers making PS3 software.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Synless said:
Can I ask what you think looks so much better about it?

Sure you can. I think it looks a bit crisper/brighter as have a lot of 360/PS3 multiplatform games. It's a good trend tho - the differences are definitely getting smaller.

Hammer

Sh0k said:
I'm in Miami and I just went to Circuit City and they still don't have the game in stock. Their ad says that's available today by 2:00pm. Don't they have a guarantee that if the game is not there by their advertised date an hour, they give you a $20. gift certificate ?

From my experience with Circuit City, all they will do is give you a rain check, which allows you to receive that deal even after it expires, giving them time to get the product in stock. You don't loose anything but time, but you don't gain anything for the hassle and wait either.

For those of you that are worried about the game being more "watching the game" then playing it, that is not the case. The first mission is more watching then playing, but the rest of the game charges you with completing most of the objectives. There are only a few situations where the AI teammates took down most of the enemies.

Synless

RSTEIN said:
Sure you can. I think it looks a bit crisper/brighter as have a lot of 360/PS3 multiplatform games. It's a good trend tho - the differences are definitely getting smaller.
So this isn't a texture/framerate issue problems, jsut crispness and brightness? I can live with that. Yeah I have all the systems but my close friends all have ps3's so thats the version I'm getting and those issues I won't even notice.

f@luS

More than a member.
RSTEIN said:
While i can agree on many game (looking blurry on ps3 , like NFS pro street or Timeshift demo for exemple) this is just plain, plain and plain wrong for COD4. It does looks the same , not crisper on 360 at all. Ill do pics later tonight and you will see, maybe even the contrary of what you think ( but ill check my tv setting to get the same image treatment for both) . DO you have the ps3 version at least?

Hammer said:
From my experience with Circuit City, all they will do is give you a rain check, which allows you to receive that deal even after it expires, giving them time to get the product in stock. You don't loose anything but time, but you don't gain anything for the hassle and wait either.
You can also get this deal price matched at BestBuy, just bring in the advertisement. Other retailers might pricematch as well.

Synless

f@luS said:
While i can agree on many game (looking blurry on ps3 , like NFS pro street or Timeshift demo for exemple) this is just plain, plain and plain wrong for COD4. It does looks the same , not crisper on 360 at all. Ill do pics later tonight and you will see, maybe even the contrary of what you think ( but ill check my tv setting to get the same image treatment for both) . DO you have the ps3 version at least?
Sounds good, but by then I will have already been playing the ps3 version so I'll make the judgements myself I think IW won't let me down.

TheDuce22

Banned
I dont know how anyone can pass up on that Circuit City deal. Even if you beat the game in a week you can turn around and trade them both in for close to 45/50 if you take advantage of whatever trade-in deals they have going on. Its basically the price of a rental.

f@luS said:

What is your gamertag?

RSTEIN

Synless said:
So this isn't a texture/framerate issue problems, jsut crispness and brightness? I can live with that. Yeah I have all the systems but my close friends all have ps3's so thats the version I'm getting and those issues I won't even notice.

No, I don't think so (although one poster said they noticed stuttering on the PS3 version - I haven't seen it). The differences are very, very small. Some people agree with me (that the 360 is a bit crisper) others don't. You cannot go wrong with any version, seriously. They're both fuckin awesome.

f@luS said:
While i can agree on many game (looking blurry on ps3 , like NFS pro street or Timeshift demo for exemple) this is just plain, plain and plain wrong for COD4. It does looks the same , not crisper on 360 at all. Ill do pics later tonight and you will see, maybe even the contrary of what you think ( but ill check my tv setting to get the same image treatment for both)
Most reports point to minor texture quality improvements and shadow maps for 360 version. But all say it's very close.

Not sure if the less than HD resolution thing has any merits yet, but I'm sure either way, it will be entertaining when the pixel counting dude @ B3D has his say. :lol

RSTEIN said:

Werent there reports that the PS3 ver was runnin in some odd (lower) resolution? Mybe that explains the crispness.

Mojovonio

Banned
What was the problem people found with multiplat PS3 games looking darker?

It was something with the Nvidia chipset or something.

But you really have to remind yourself to notice it, and your TV setting play a big part too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Synless said:
Sounds good, but by then I will have already been playing the ps3 version so I'll make the judgements myself I think IW won't let me down.
I played the first hour. There is no worries, get the PS3 one. Looks hat and plays hot too. Jumped into 1 multiplayer match and it was super fun. Leveled up once and now I need to go to work. See you online. This nitpicking in here to make one version better than the other is dumb. You are getting the same experience on both platforms. I was super impressed with the visuals/presentation. I didn't even notice an instant of slowdown either.

Hammer

Sorry if I have missed an earlier post, but I have been wondering...

I know COD4 was developed with a proprietary engine, which imo is great due to several of the current engines performing differently on different systems. However, I was curious as to weather there was one primary code with platform ports, or if the code for each platform was handled separately. I do recall hearing of some middle ware that would allow development on all fronts simultaneously (even mac formats,) however I'm mostly sure this is still in development itself. So, how did IW approach this situation?

f@luS

More than a member.
RSTEIN said:
No, I don't think so (although one poster said they noticed stuttering on the PS3 version - I haven't seen it). The differences are very, very small. Some people agree with me (that the 360 is a bit crisper) others don't. You cannot go wrong with any version, seriously. They're both fuckin awesome.
You dont yet you seems so sure . I have to say, ive seen 99% saying it looks the same, 0.5 saying it looks better on 360, 0.5% saying it looks better on ps3. Anyway , it doesnt looks less crips / more blurry on ps3 at all.

TheDuce ==> Why do you need it for? some kind of proof? ive given plenty already :lol

Mojovonio

Banned
f@luS said:
You dont yet you seems so sure . I have to say, ive seen 99% saying it looks the same, 0.5 saying it looks better on 360, 0.5% saying it looks better on ps3. Anyway , it doesnt looks less crips / more blurry on ps3 at all.

TheDuce ==> Why do you need it for? some kind of proof? ive given plenty already :lol

Maybe he wants to play with you?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
Yes, it does. Clearly imo
OK, why do you say that? I went ahead and bought the PS3 version, so I'm kinda stuck with it.

What differences brought you to that conclusion?

Synless

LiquidMetal14 said:
I played the first hour. There is no worries, get the PS3 one. Looks hat and plays hot too. Jumped into 1 multiplayer match and it was super fun. Leveled up once and now I need to go to work. See you online. This nitpicking in here to make one version better than the other is dumb. You are getting the same experience on both platforms. I was super impressed with the visuals/presentation. I didn't even notice an instant of slowdown either.
Sounds good, Yea I'll see you on maybe around tonight I'm not sure if I'll be on.

TheDuce22

Banned
f@luS said:

It wouldnt be the first time a sony fan has blatantly lied about playing a 360 game. See the Halo 3 thread. Why dont you just post it?

RSTEIN

Agent Ironside said:
Werent there reports that the PS3 ver was runnin in some odd (lower) resolution? Mybe that explains the crispness.

I don't know... never heard of that before!

Mojovonio said:
What was the problem people found with multiplat PS3 games looking darker?
It was something with the Nvidia chipset or something.
But you really have to remind yourself to notice it, and your TV setting play a big part too.

I don't know. In my opinion, a lot of the 360 multiplatform games are a bit crisper. I'm not a technology guy - i don't know if this has anything to do with memory/TV calibration/chipsets/etc.

GrayFoxPL

Back from Bantown! Ahhh...The sky...The sky is blue....!

Back to topic:

Has the question about world wide play (PS3) been answered yet?

Would love to import it from us, but if it's only us server play then no go with 1000+ms lag.

f@luS

More than a member.
TheDuce22 said:
It wouldnt be the first time a sony fan has blatantly lied about playing a 360 game. See the Halo 3 thread. Why dont you just post it?
Because i dont feel like it? i never play with GAF guy , and never game my GT or PSN id here....its not "xbox" exclusive . But everytime someone asked me this , i gave a photo....you will have yours as soon as i finish working, with my 360 COD4 in my left hand pointing my middle finger, with my 360 ELITE in the background......and a paper with "f@lus" on it, i swear :lol (last time i did the same photo , it was on the VF5 thread i guess") . No point of lying at all...

Mojovonio said:
Maybe he wants to play with you?

Now you see...he didnt....and i dont play with GAF anyway :D

RSTEIN said:
I don't know. In my opinion, a lot of the 360 multiplatform games are a bit crisper. I'm not a technology guy - i don't know if this has anything to do with memory/TV calibration/chipsets/etc.

No secret here, because shitty port are running in a lower resolution on PS3 , thats why it crisper on 360. Take the last one i tried , NFS & Timeshift , you can clearly see it. It has the same kind of "blurry iq" as Halo 3

Mojovonio

Banned
RSTEIN said:

No, I remember it being something with the contrast, that when you compare the games side by side, 360 games have more contrast and they figured out it was the Nvidia chip.

I can't remember where I read it, but those are the details I recall.

Its really not an issue, as I said, you can fix it with your TV settings.

Kosma

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:

Back to topic:

Would love to import it from us, but if it's only us server play then no go with 1000+ms lag.

The EU release is just around the corner, like this week. Can't you hold out any longer?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
GrayFoxPL said:

Back to topic:

I read someone say thay were playing with Brits so I would say yes.

Ceb

oo Kosma oo said:
The EU release is just around the corner, like this week. Can't you hold out any longer?

It would be interesting to know though. I don't wanna pick up the EU version and find out that I can't play against US gamers. With it being P2P-based, could this really be the case?

MaX_PL

Banned
ok no one go to circuit city. i just got back and i couldnt buy it cause its not available til 2pm.

i have no idea how the other people got their copies, but my guess is that once its officially on sale at 2pm the 30 dollar deal will no longer be available.

Kosma

Banned
Ceb said:
It would be interesting to know though. I don't wanna pick up the EU version and find out that I can't play against US gamers. With it being P2P-based, could this really be the case?

Well playing against the US folk will be laggy thanks to P2P, so I'd actually rather have the region restriction in place.

GrayFoxPL

oo Kosma oo said:

I know: "Time is money", right? Not in this case.

Due to weak dollar COD4 from USA is insanely cheap compared to Eu version.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I read someone say thay were playing with Brits so I would say yes.

Woot! Confirmed?

TheDuce22

Banned
Well forgive me if i dont trust the opinion of a guy who freaked out because VF5 scored higher on 360. Its sad that most posts on GAF can be predicted with uncanny accuracy by reading the title of the thread and checking a users post history.

Kosma

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
I know: "Time is money", right? Not in this case.

Due to weak dollar COD4 from USA is insanely cheap compared to Eu version.

Well importing from the US/Canada would still cost around 50 euro, that's only 10 euro difference with the EU price.

Hammer

RSTEIN said:

The trend as of late is to develop on one primary platform, then port the code for the multi platform. This does tend to cause slight differences, as code must be optimized for each platform rather than ported and tweaked. However, I have seen some solid ports as well.

Though I can't say this with any sort of conviction, I assume most developers use the 360 as the primary platform due to ease of development and a *currently* larger user base. This could be why some feel the 360 looks crisper or cleaner. Note this will not apply to all games, and would be a case-by-case (for lack of a better word) issue.

traveler

Not Wario
MaX_PL said:
ok no one go to circuit city. i just got back and i couldnt buy it cause its not available til 2pm.

i have no idea how the other people got their copies, but my guess is that once its officially on sale at 2pm the 30 dollar deal will no longer be available.

Why?

Ceb

oo Kosma oo said:
Well playing against the US folk will be laggy thanks to P2P, so I'd actually rather have the region restriction in place.

Not when you have a good connection.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hammer said:
Though I can't say this with any sort of conviction, I assume most developers use the 360 as the primary platform due to ease of development and a *currently* larger user base. This could be why some feel the 360 looks crisper or cleaner. Note this will not apply to all games, and would be a case-by-case (for lack of a better word) issue.

They didn't. Both games on each system were developed simultaneously for the respective hardware. The lead platform was PC (which is another way of saying there wasn't one).

Kosma

Banned
Ceb said:
Not when you have a good connection.

I have a great connection, problem with trans Atlantic gaming is that there always will be someone with a crappy connection, and if that person hosts.....

Top Bottom