• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Falagard

calder said:
By the end of the Capitol City run I was expecting to see giant, living hand grenades throwing smaller hand grenades at me while four legged hand grenades barked and howled and rushed me to rip out my throat and then blow up.

Haha, that's awesome.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, apparently GAME here in Versailles were selling the game early, bastards sold out minutes before I got there.

Got a copy reserved for tomorrow though. :D

Quazar

Wow people really complaining about TV station. Yea I had trouble, but it's obvious you have to get towards the back room. This shit isn't anymore cheap than stuff that can be found in COD2 or COD3. In fact I had more trouble in COD3 at a couple parts than the TV station. Just try to do the shit in different ways. People tend to keep trying the same thing.

I found once entering the room I would keep straight into offices and try to make it to room where they spawned, did well until a nade went off. After that I couldn't get the same thing going. So instead I took a right once entering TVS, took RPG dude out, hid behind corner of desk thats in corner of room lined up with spawn room-on same wall.(In front of a lot of TVs) Popped up hit them with RPG when they're coming out, threw flash fucked the remaining couple and just ran and lit they ass up. After getting in there spawn room just play it low key and defend a few off, and it'll be over.

When you're stuck in COD it's because you're not trying anything different, it's not the spawn system or nades fault.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
brandonh83 said:
Why is MGS4 being discussed in a first person shooter topic?

Playing the game reminded me of it several times due to similar settings, as I mentioned.

The crazy accuracy and loads of enemy grenades don't bother me. I like the feeling of having to stay on the move and not let the enemy pin me down.

The steady stream of enemies can be a bit frustrating in certain circumstances but I still look at it like a puzzle .

"How can I eliminate the most enemies in the quickest fashion while getting to point X as fast as possible?"

JB1981

Fady K said:
Guys, is it worth it for the SP mode alone? Im not going to bother much with MP. Crazy, I know. Just wondering.
I'm through the first 3 levels and I'd have to say a resounding no.

SP is a rental, at best. It's a scripted, last-gen FPS to the core. If you've played something like Halo 3, I doubt you are going to get much out of the gun battles in this game.

_dd_

So uhh, I don't think this has been discussed yet, but is PETA pissed about what you do to those dogs in the Single Player Campaign?

Edit:

I mean is a neck snap really necessary? I think I could have sufficed with pulling out a gun.

Teen Ape

After getting the game yesterday and plowing through multiplayer for a solid 5 hours in the first day (lvl 24 now)...there's really only one thing to be said. COD4 > Halo 3 PERIOD.

How in the hell does Halo 3 have such laggy big team battle games when I can go and play ground war on COD4 with more people in the match and more shit going on at once and it still runs fine? IW, I tip my hat to you good sirs, this game fucking rocks.

Quazar

SepticLiquid said:
The crazy accuracy and loads of enemy grenades don't bother me. I like the feeling of having to stay on the move and not let the enemy pin me down.

The steady stream of enemies can be a bit frustrating in certain circumstances but I still look at it like a puzzle .

"How can I eliminate the most enemies in the quickest fashion while getting to point X as fast as possible?"

Indeed, that's the fun of it. I can understand people not liking it, but this is COD. I actually loved the TV station because it was like other CODs on crack as far as action. Sneaking around it doesn't cut it. After I get my ass whooped several times I start experimenting with random/stupid tactics and I learn what works and what doesn't. Time the first wave of people and see what can stop them in a situation like that. Find out what points your soldiers do best in.(Though they could be more helpful!)

_dd_

Teen Ape said:
After getting the game yesterday and plowing through multiplayer for a solid 5 hours in the first day (lvl 24 now)...there's really only one thing to be said. COD4 > Halo 3 PERIOD.

How in the hell does Halo 3 have such laggy big team battle games when I can go and play ground war on COD4 with more people in the match and more shit going on at once and it still runs fine? IW, I tip my hat to you good sirs, this game fucking rocks.

COD4 definitely has a host advantage though. After playing the retail game early and hosting a few games (and even in the beta) If you're host you get a nice edge on everybody else. Your stabs hit first. Your bullets hit first, and if you are host, I recommend getting on the mounted gun because you're almost unstoppable on it.

The one thing I liked about Halo 3 is that host was virtually eliminated.
Granted if we had dedicated servers on the console side this wouldn't be a problem, but alas it is.

JB1981

Teen Ape said:

Not remotely close. The Halo 3 engine is pushing a crapton more vehicles (see: Sandtrap), larger maps (in Big Team Battle) and has a much more robust physics engine. COD 4 does run very well, but Halo 3 multi does a hell of a lot more things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
This game made MGS4 its bitch. Same setting (in parts) yet this looks a lot better and it's 60fps.
I dunno about that...

We still don't know how the final will run, but the playable build present at E for All was running at 60 fps. MGS4 is also features more complex geometry, I'd say.

I think Ratchet and Clank Future is actually more impressive than CoD4. It features much more complex geometry, better textures, perfect AA and even more on screen carnage while also running at 60 fps. Devil May Cry 4 is another upcoming game that bests CoD4 while running at 60.

JB1981 said:
I'm through the first 3 levels and I'd have to say a resounding no.

SP is a rental, at best. It's a scripted, last-gen FPS to the core. If you've played something like Halo 3, I doubt you are going to get much out of the gun battles in this game.

It is rare when myself and JB agree with anything but this is spot on. SP game is pretty much on rails.

Teen Ape

_dd_ said:
COD4 definitely has a host advantage though. After playing the retail game early and hosting a few games (and even in the beta) If you're host you get a nice edge on everybody else. Your stabs hit first. Your bullets hit first, and if you are host, I recommend getting on the mounted gun because you're almost unstoppable on it.

The one thing I liked about Halo 3 is that host was virtually eliminated.
Granted if we had dedicated servers on the console side this wouldn't be a problem, but alas it is.
Given my experience playing Halo 3 and COD4, I would say the host advantage is less apparent in COD4, or atleast less exploited because knifing in COD4 does not happen at the same frequency that melee attacks do in Halo 3, and you know that cheated host feeling when you and another guy melee at the same time but the other guy always gets you. As for bullets hitting first...I'm not so sure I've really run into that problem, so if thats host advantage or the guy just being quicker on the draw I cant say.

sprocket

Banned
COD4 looks great! better than most games out.

But the lack of any back ground interaction just kills the over all atmosphere. puddles do not ripple, grass does not move when walked through. tree branches and tall plants do not sway. ect.

Teen Ape said:

I would completely agree.
Naturally there are plenty of differences between the two and both games have a number of great features but I will get far more play time out of CoD4 then Halo 3. In fact I haven't even picked up Halo 3 in at least 2 weeks.

_dd_ said:

Is the physical host the same as the party leader? I figured it would be like Halo 2 and 3 where the physical host is automatically chosen based on bandwidth. Obviously matchmaking must do this at least between the two party leaders.

The only comment I have re: MGS4 is that CoD4 does it right by including the full multiplayer game with the single-player game.

SepticLiquid said:
I would completely agree.
Naturally there are plenty of differences between the two and both games have a number of great features but I will get far more play time out of CoD4 then Halo 3. In fact I haven't even picked up Halo 3 in at least 2 weeks.

The biggest difference is that Matchmaking in this game actually chooses modes and maps i want to play and does not take as long.

Good show.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Is the physical host the same as the party leader? I figured it would be like Halo 2 and 3 where the physical host is automatically chosen based on bandwidth. Obviously matchmaking must do this at least between the two party leaders.

Not necessarily. Party leader is just a user role to manage the parties gametype. I'm sure a game could be coded to give preference to a party leader, but in the P2P environment it makes far more sense to choose the player with the most reliable connection.

zam

Quazar said:
I dont know I guess I see veteran different than others here. Seems to be the same as other CODs to me.

And zam add me to FL! I was in process of moving and shit during beta so couldn't get on much.
Sure, though I might not have the game until monday, but when I get it I'll be playing the shit out of it.

Das-J

Law of the West
When you're stuck in COD it's because you're not trying anything different, it's not the spawn system or nades fault.

Well that's not completely true... I tried maybe five different approaches and still got my ass handed to me. I'm going to boot it up tonight and see if I can figure anything else out, but I might just have to dump down the difficulty.

sprocket said:
COD4 looks great! better than most games out.

But the lack of any back ground interaction just kills the over all atmosphere. puddles do not ripple, grass does not move when walked through. tree branches and tall plants do not sway. ect.

I'm glad I haven't become a jaded gamer and can still enjoy a good game when I play it.

traveler

Not Wario
Err...I just went past the part with the exploding car and it let me go straight by. Didn't get killed at all. Is everyone else dying when they go by it?

sprocket

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
I'm glad I haven't become a jaded gamer and can still enjoy a good game when I play it.

I'm not complaining. I am just pointing it out. other than those few things the sheer ammount going on at 60 fps is awesome.

Hell if I was going to complain about something it would be the ocean texture during the opening scene that never changes or moves. ;)

_dd_

Teen Ape said:
Given my experience playing Halo 3 and COD4, I would say the host advantage is less apparent in COD4, or atleast less exploited because knifing in COD4 does not happen at the same frequency that melee attacks do in Halo 3, and you know that cheated host feeling when you and another guy melee at the same time but the other guy always gets you. As for bullets hitting first...I'm not so sure I've really run into that problem, so if thats host advantage or the guy just being quicker on the draw I cant say.

I get it all the time. I'll come around the corner with a shotgun, shoot the guy at point blank, only for him to seemingly take the hit. Then, I'll strafe to the left, stab him, it makes the motion, and the sound, only to have him miraculously stab the air to my right and kill me. Upon watching the Kill Cam I see that he dodged the shotgun blast, dodged the knifing, and stabbed me cause apparently I didn't move on his side of the game. Either way It's definitely getting annoying. That's only in the case of Host Vs Random Person, all the other battles when not fighting a host are spot on.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
_dd_ said:
I get it all the time. I'll come around the corner with a shotgun, shoot the guy at point blank, only for him to seemingly take the hit. Then, I'll strafe to the left, stab him, it makes the motion, and the sound, only to have him miraculously stab the air to my right and kill me. Upon watching the Kill Cam I see that he dodged the shotgun blast, dodged the knifing, and stabbed me cause apparently I didn't move in that small amount of time frame. Either way It's definitely getting annoying. That's only in the case of Host Vs Random Person, all the other battles when not fighting a host are spot on.

That's the nature of Peer-to-Peer. There's nothing IW can do about it. Host is the master and what that box says goes.

Played SP for a few hours last night. Game is gorgeous, intense - all the praise is warranted. But the gameplay kind of left me cold in this way. I felt like more of a spectator than a protagonist. You basically get funneled into these encounters by your squadmates and they then wait for you to mop up and funnel you into the next encounter. That's the "5 minutes of fun" in COD4, and it is repeated over and over again. But you have no control over them, and the pace is so frantic that you have almost no time to digest the situation you're in.

Maybe I just need to get used to the faster pace of the game - stand still for a minute and you're dead. The gameplay here is literally the polar opposite of HL2 which I just played.

sprocket

Banned
belvedere said:
So GS marked it a 9.0 with no major differences.

Wow. The 7.5 streak is over.

lol thats only because there are no real differences inthe ps3/360 versions. that had no choice! :lol

_dd_

urk said:
That's the nature of Peer-to-Peer. There's nothing IW can do about it. Host is the master and what that box says goes.

Yup, if only we had dedicated servers. I'm not insulting IW I'm just arguing the fact that the definitely is a host advantage.

FartOfWar

Banned
sinnergy said:
What is he trying to proof? That he sucks at gaming? How many times does he need to walk to that car to see if it explodes? While you can hide somewhere else?

Or don't I get it?

Fucking hell. This got taken out of context. If you read the original thread this was posted for GFW Radio listeners to demonstrate one of the many ways in which the game kills you for not playing precisely according to script. In this scenario a Cobra flies in to take out the MG. You're supposed to watch it happen. However if you attempt to veer from the script the car explodes. The repetition is there to demonstrate that the mg is not destroying the car--not because someone is stupid enough to try the same exact thing over and over and over again.

But way to go with the "hurr he must suck at games" shit.

Teen Ape

_dd_ said:
I get it all the time. I'll come around the corner with a shotgun, shoot the guy at point blank, only for him to seemingly take the hit. Then, I'll strafe to the left, stab him, it makes the motion, and the sound, only to have him miraculously stab the air to my right and kill me. Upon watching the Kill Cam I see that he dodged the shotgun blast, dodged the knifing, and stabbed me cause apparently I didn't move in that small amount of time frame. Either way It's definitely getting annoying. That's only in the case of Host Vs Random Person, all the other battles when not fighting a host are spot on.

Only thing I dont like about the knifing, is how sometimes guys will knife you when you are hitting them with shots, and it shows the hit indicator, because I'm sure these guns have some stopping power but they didnt stop that guy. Other than that, I dont have any other problems with the knife stuff except that it feels too good when you knife somebody.

_dd_

Teen Ape said:
Only thing I dont like about the knifing, is how sometimes guys will knife you when you are hitting them with shots, and it shows the hit indicator, because I'm sure these guns have some stopping power but they didnt stop that guy. Other than that, I dont have any other problems with the knife stuff except that it feels too good when you knife somebody.

I love it when you can just slice them and you don't have to do the stabbing motion. Hit and Run! He's got Martyrdom.

FartOfWar

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
This is like getting on a bad ass roller coaster and complaining there's no steering wheel.

It's like playing a bad ass videogame and complaining that there's no controller.

MaX_PL

Banned
Teen Ape said:

no the other guy is right. all cod games, the host advantage is huge. in halo 3 its almost nonexistent.

Teen Ape

_dd_ said:
I love it when you can just slice them and you don't have to do the stabbing motion. Hit and Run! He's got Martyrdom.
Yea, that slice is sweet, especially once you start booking out of there once you knife the guy. Funner than hell!

pxleyes

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Fucking hell. This got taken out of context. If you read the original thread this was posted for GFW Radio listeners to demonstrate one of the many ways in which the game kills you for not playing precisely according to script. In this scenario a Cobra flies in to take out the MG. You're supposed to watch it happen. However if you attempt to veer from the script the car explodes. The repetition is there to demonstrate that the mg is not destroying the car--not because someone is stupid enough to try the same exact thing over and over and over again.

But way to go with the "hurr he must suck at games" shit.

Wait, I assumed it was more of a comment on timing, like the event happens at the exact same time every time (as your movements looked the same). You're saying that it is there to prevent you from moving past that point? WTF!

Alright lets just focus on the reason to buy this game.

MULTIPLAYER!

sure its not balanced at all but man does that level design rock or what?

Nizz

I picked my copy up last night, played through the single player campaign. Made it to the mission with the Ghillie suit,
I'm at the point where you have to assassinate the villain, but have to take into account direction of wind, speed of bullet, etc.
. So far, I'm loving the game IW. IW gets props for giving PS3 owners a quality third party title. The graphics and performance are top notch. I'm going to try multi player tonight (got sucked up in the single player). :D

h3ro

If you have Martyrdom equipped, then do you still drop a grenade when you die even if you have no grenades on you?

Quazar

Das-J said:
Well that's not completely true... I tried maybe five different approaches and still got my ass handed to me. I'm going to boot it up tonight and see if I can figure anything else out, but I might just have to dump down the difficulty.

If that's what you have to do, do it. Sure you get hit by some cheap shots, but it's not impossible. Just takes time to figure out some parts like past CODs. If you're not enjoying it on veteran(guessing thats what you're playing on), than by all means change difficulty! I did that with Halo3.(dropped to heroic)

RavenFox

Banned
CurlySaysX said:
the graphics in this game are seriously overated.
appart from the nice lighting and above average AF, i dont see the WoW. if you know what i mean.
Underwhelmed overall.
8.7 out of 10.
Still using SD sets I see. Call us when you've upgraded.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
I dunno about that...

We still don't know how the final will run, but the playable build present at E for All was running at 60 fps. MGS4 is also features more complex geometry, I'd say.

Did you play it? No gameplay accounts mention the 60fps. And from the vids I've seen it has some slowdown too.

I do think COD4's graphics are getting massively overrated though.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I experienced some of the difficulty some of you are mentioning. For me, it's more of a problem of the game not communicating what it wants me to do. It has a very clear objective in mind and if you deviate from it, you pay a pretty good price. It's like it's got this script and if you're off in the margins, it punishes you for it. The television studio is just one example. Once you figure out how it wants you to play it, it's easy. But try it any other way (which I did, again and again) and you're going to eat a few dozen grenades, face scores of terrorists armed to the teeth, and eventually wait for the game to reload the checkpoint.

All the tears being spilled over playing Veteran makes me wonder:

Is COD4's Veteran mode harder than 2 or 3's?

I don't have it yet, so I'm hoping you guys can give me an idea of what to expect. I completed Veteran in both previous games, but doing so nearly turned me off from video games entirely. Some parts were more fun while played in the more punishing confines of Veteran, but, by and large, it was a war of attrition between my respawns and the infinite stream of enemies. This game's brevity means I'll probably do a Normal run just to enjoy the game first, but I shudder to think that I might have to eventually do a harder Veteran ...

Top Bottom