• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Calen

traveler said:
Err...I just went past the part with the exploding car and it let me go straight by. Didn't get killed at all. Is everyone else dying when they go by it?
I don't know about that precise exact particular car, but there is obviously a checkpoint down those stairs because that's where he is respawning. If the MG DID light the car up so it is going to blow in, say, 5 seconds, then because the checkpoint saves all the game state it is always going to blow in 5 seconds unless he starts the level over and has a different set of stuff happen.

That might explain why you saw something different, at least, but like I said I'm not familiar with that particular car.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't get the identical set of dudes every time you play, it just seems that way sometimes because of the checkpointing. There's a LOT of AI code behind our enemies and they don't just have scripts in them that say "find player, shoot at player, wait 0.2 seconds * some factor based on difficulty, throw grenade."

If you pop a checkpoint though and a guy has already decided he wants to flush you out, he's going to flush you out each time that checkpoint loads.

Are people really having this much difficulty with Veteran? If you can't pass the TV station, then there is no way in hell you'll pass this one level near the end.
You have 9 minutes to run-through this base fending off hordes of baddies in small corridors.
It's much more brutal.

Veteran is ridiculously cheap. To normal I go.

Play Hardened. Don't make me think less of you, Kev. =(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
CoD4's graphics remind me so much of next-gen MGS2, if that makes any sense
For their time they both had/have:
- 60FPS
- impressive particle effects
- impressive lighting and shadows
- impressive animation
- stylized color filter
- less than impressive textures
- teh tanker storm level!

Basically, what I'm trying to say is - I can't wait to see my next-gen MGS2 graphics!! (I just got CoD4)

Now someone tell me this was said 30 pages back, because I didn't really follow the thread.

Kabuki Waq said:
I still think 60fps + cutting corners > 30 fps with great textures.
I think it depends on a game - as always, fast moving games do benefit from 60FPS. However, slow moving, strategic/cover shooters or adventure games I think should go for 30FPS + more complex textures and shaders. Especially if they can afford motion blur, DOF etc. You are moving slowly/exploring after all, so you want every detail to look the best it can.

I do also think 60FPS makes the games look more like real life, but 30FPS can make them look more like a movie or like CG.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's just overly frustrating. I'll play through again on a harder difficulty if I decide I like it.

blackadde

Marconelly said:
but 30FPS can make them look more like a movie or like CG.

how about 24fps, so that they're more like film? or 12, so they're like traditional animation? or 6, so they're like anime?

ps. 60+fps should always be the goal.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Alright, I just got through the TV station area by "doing things differently" and surprisingly, it worked. Just run and flash and get into the back hallway where they spawn and they'll stop spawning. I think I'll give veteran some more time. :D

This game is the most intense shooter I've ever played.

chespace said:
Alright, I just got through the TV station area by "doing things differently" and surprisingly, it worked. Just run and flash and get into the back hallway where they spawn and they'll stop spawning. I think I'll give veteran some more time. :D

Good man, Che. :D

I forgot to mention flashbangs earlier. They are a godsend.

steve

Banned
Marconelly said:
CoD4's graphics remind me so much of next-gen MGS2, if that makes any sense
For their time they both had/have:
- 60FPS
- impressive particle effects
- impressive lighting and shadows
- stylized color filter
- less than impressive textures
- teh tanker storm level!

Basically, what I'm trying to say is - I can't wait to see my next-gen MGS2 graphics!! (I just got CoD4)

Now someone tell me this was said 30 pages back, because I didn't really follow the thread.

I think it depends on a game - as always, fast moving games do benefit from 60FPS. However, slow moving, strategic/cover shooters or adventure games I think should go for 30FPS + more complex textures and shaders. Especially if they can afford motion blur, DOF etc. You are moving slowly/exploring after all, so you want every detail to look the best it can.

I do also think 60FPS makes the games look more like real life, but 30FPS can make them look more like a movie or like CG.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

traveler

Not Wario
Vyse The Legend said:
Are people really having this much difficulty with Veteran? If you can't pass the TV station, then there is no way in hell you'll pass this one level near the end.
You have 9 minutes to run-through this base fending off hordes of baddies in small corridors.
It's much more brutal.

Play Hardened. Don't make me think less of you, Kev. =(

I was on Hardened up until the end of the
sniper section where you had to put down the captain and fend off attackers until the chopper arrived. Spent over two hours on that one scene with no progress and said screw it.
Funny thing is, I had found the challenge on Hardened up until that point perfect. I died maybe twice in the TV station; it wasn't tough in the slightest, but that one spot just molested me, so I jumped down to Normal so I could actually enjoy the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
blackadde said:
how about 24fps, so that they're more like film? or 12, so they're like traditional animation? or 6, so they're like anime?
OK, you must know what I mean. High quality motion blur and 30FPS does make things look more cinema-like or CG like, because that's how those things are presented. Just watch the KZ2 trailer in high quality, it definitely has that going for it.

It also just looks like very detailed textures and complex shaders are tied to 30FPS this gen, and that kind of tradeoff suits some games better IMO.

FartOfWar

Banned
I'm curious, are the PC players here jumping right into veteran or is this more of a console thing. Most people I know are asking me whether they should play normal or easy, not veteran or hardened.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chespace said:
Alright, I just got through the TV station area by "doing things differently" and surprisingly, it worked.

Yup. I just wish there was a little more prompting to find the "correct" way to play. If you hunker down and try to pick the enemy apart one at a time, you're screwed. It might be a little easier if they used you squad a little more liberally. A simple, "Get to the stairs now! We'll cover you!" would have worked wonders there.

jet1911

ac-130-dll.jpg

Best mission in the game.

Quazar

chespace said:

I knew you could do it.

FartOfWar

Banned
jet1911 said:
ac-130-dll.jpg

Best mission in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afv5el1-nhg

IW can confirm, but I suspect this very clip (and others like it on militaryvideos.net) directly inspired the mission. When the spotter says "this is gonna make one hell of a highlight reel" I almost hoped to hear someone else say something about keeping it off YouTube.

Warning: this video depicts real combat and several individuals most certainly die as a result.

traveler

Not Wario
FartOfWar said:

IW can confirm, but I suspect this very clip (and others like it on militaryvideos.net) directly inspired the mission. When the spotter says "this is gonna make one hell of a highlight reel" I almost hoped to hear someone else say something about keeping it off YouTube.

Warning: this video depicts real combat and several individuals most certainly die as a result.

I don't think I'll ever be able to play that mission the same again. That footage looks and sounds pretty identical to the game.

DevelopmentArrested said:
After playing 10 hours last night...

Unplayable disc.

Dead 360.

FUCK.
Honestly, my 360 sounds like it's dying whenever I play COD4. I think it's slowly killing my 360 with its pure awesomeness. :\

~Devil Trigger~ said:
its Looked so fuckin REAL , straight CNN New clip

That did look amazing. It felt like I was watching footage on the news. The game also borrows heavily from Black Hawk Down in a few instances.
Walking through the post-nuke town as Jackson was pretty surreal. And I just finished the Sniper mission when you play as Captain Price. Pretty damn intense. One of the most intense missions I've played in a while. And when you assassinate the guy...Do you always blow his arm off? I did and the Captain said "I think you blew his arm off!":lol Was pretty hilarious.

Pallaris

Got it on PS3 earlier today (hooray for UK indie stores)... pretty much loving it right now. Playing through on Hardened first. It's all very intense and exciting. The guns feel and sound great. Good times...

regarding framerate - It does dip but very rarely I find and almost always limited to when you're free looking over a vast area..totally minor dip at that. What's more annoying is the slight stutter every time it auto-saves for a checkpoint which I guess is unavoidable when you're not streaming (which I don't think this game is). Overall major props to the people at Infinity Ward for sticking with 60fps - definitely benefits the game immensly, especially online. Back for more....

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
CajoleJuice said:
Honestly, my 360 sounds like it's dying whenever I play COD4. I think it's slowly killing my 360 with its pure awesomeness. :\

Oh yeah. Loud-ass whirring all over the place. Scares me but whatareyagonnado? (I've got a slightly later than launch 360 too).

ToyMachine228 said:
That did look amazing. It felt like I was watching footage on the news. The game also borrows heavily from Black Hawk Down in a few instances.
Walking through the post-nuke town as Jackson was pretty surreal. And I just finished the Sniper mission when you play as Captain Price. Pretty damn intense. One of the most intense missions I've played in a while. And when you assassinate the guy...Do you always blow his arm off? I did and the Captain said "I think you blew his arm off!"
:lol Was pretty hilarious.

FartOfWar said:

Here's the interesting juxtaposition of the day.

traveler said:
Glanton, if you're going to quote the guy, you should probably tag his stuff for him.
:lol

FartOfWar said:

I remember the first time I saw that, the apache one is even more unnerving.

RavenFox

Banned
_dd_ said:
So uhh, I don't think this has been discussed yet, but is PETA pissed about what you do to those dogs in the Single Player Campaign?

Edit:

I mean is a neck snap really necessary? I think I could have sufficed with pulling out a gun.

Huh?
The dog is trying to tear your throat out and you need both of your hands to deal with that mofocker. Also these are hard ass special force dudes so a neck snap for those mutts is worth it and very gratifying. You don't know how many times those damn ferocious bitches took a brothers throat back to the kennel.

rubso

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I'm a newbie to call of duty so I need some tips on multiplayer. I suck.
level up, use some efficient perks, get the M4, add a red laser sight/reflex sight. problem solved.

Stoney Mason said:
I'm a newbie to call of duty so I need some tips on multiplayer. I suck.

I've read in other places that a combination of M16+red dot and perks of Gernade Launcher, Stopping Power, and Deep Impact can really dominate. I haven't tried deep impact because I thought it sounded kind of worthless, but I might give it a shot tonight.

I barely even touched single player so far, I only did that SWAT training like crap and a bit of the boat mission before going straight into multiplayer, but the multiplayer is amazing (obviously it wouldent get worse from the beta), it is easily the best multiplayer shooter on the 360.

I kind of wish I bought it on PC and played it at low res, after playing TF2 for a while going back to dual analog sticks is just hard.

sprocket

Banned
RavenFox said:
Huh?
The dog is trying to tear your throat out and you need both of your hands to deal with that mofocker. Also these are hard ass special force dudes so a neck snap for those mutts is worth it and very gratifying. You don't know how many times those damn ferocious bitches took a brothers throat back to the kennel.

I am surprised THAT is what gets a reaction and not the shooting enemies in their sleep!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Vyse The Legend said:
Seriously. Sabotage, Headquarters and Domination are so much fun to play.
I haven't even jumped into multiplayer yet! I did give the beta good run through though so I know what level of awesomeness to expect.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, so, protip for people with the PC version:

Turn off depth of field when playing multiplayer. It's a huge crutch.

For instance, if you're trying to shoot a guy through a chain link fence, your vision will focus on the fence, blurring everything out behind it (including your target). Even if the fence is 3 feet in front of you. Same with grass.

I guess it doesn't matter much on the 360/PS3 as there is no option to disable it, and everyone has the same problem. On the PC, however, it definitely makes a difference, and is an advantage to anyone who disables it.

Top Bottom